having to make midwife decisions..HELP - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i have been complaining lately about the cost of my midwife and stuff like that. well i have found out that her midwife student also does deliveries in a neighboring state were you don't have to have a license. she is the same student that will do my care and be there for the delivery if i go with the my original birth center midwife birth. so either way she will be helping handle my care, but at the birth center she will be supervised by a midwife with like thirty years of experience. if i just had the baby with the student midwife it would about 3000 dollars cheaper. i don't know which decision to make and i feel like i have to decide today because i have an appointment tomorrow with the birth center. i had considered going UC but don't feel confident enough to go that route...i would like to think that since the student midwife has had 7 kids naturally...has delivered other children as a midwife...has practiced as a doula...was also at the delivery of my son two years ago...she is competant and knowledgable enough to handle my care...but i just keep thinking that the other midwife has been delivery babys for like 30 years. i thought she did a great job the first time around when i had my son...and i feel comfortable at her birth center. i never felt a real connection with her though. i like her, but wasn't sure she really liked me. anyway that is the whole story..any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

I would go with the one I am most comfortable with. I am seeing a mw who was not my first choice as far as experience but since I have seen her a couple of times all doubt has gone and I really really like her.

The mw who runs the birth center here charges alot and seems a bit controling. She was the one I checked out first but also got some warnings from other mws in the area to watch what she charges and make sure no added fees are tacked on.
Where as the mw I am seeing now seems mellow and comfortable with me. I dont think the first mw who runs the birth center liked me and that made me worry.
Angela
#3 of 4 Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM

If you are comfortable with the student MW, i see no reason NOT to go with her. If something goes wrong, who will she call? Probably the MW with 30 yrs experience, don't you think? If somebody's got her back, I'd go with the student i'm comfortable with.
--LEE

#4 of 4 Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 PM

I would go with the one I felt I had the best connection with. Good luck making your decision.
We're also wrestling with midwife decisions, so I know it's not an easy thing!

~e, wife to my sweet T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), and monkey (6)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page