getting motivated sort of - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I don't have any energy yet to really do anything, I have decided to teach myself to knit. I have supplies, a how to book and the desire to at least make a hat!
I really want to figure out how to make a little sleep sak kind of thing since it will be a winter babe, but I don't know how to go about figuring it all out. I just think it would be so cute.
So, I'm off to lay around some more, but with purpose!

hopefully I can accomplish a lot on this before I have energy and really have to get back to normal activities
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Aww Ive always wanted to learn to knit but just never caught on.. Goodluck!!!
#3 of 11 Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 PM

I'd like to make a sleep sack too -- if you find a good pattern, please post it!

Also, if you have any questions along your journey, post! I used to knit a fair bit (enough that I should be able to do without a pattern for something as simple as a sleep sack, but I'm too cowardly and I'm sure there are others on here who could also give advice.

#4 of 11 Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 PM

This is something I've also considered making. I'd probably just use it as a diaper cover at night (made out of wool, obviously). Here's a free pattern I found:

Knitty sleep sack pattern

I haven't made it myself, but bookmarked it a while ago, as it's free. Doesn't look very hard at all! I'm not a GREAT knitter, but I can follow a pattern pretty well, and might be able to help you diagnose problems, should they arise.

Have fun!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#5 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 AM

About a year ago I taught myself to knit...I wish I had had a baby to knit for then! I did spend a lot of time confused at first, there is nothing quite like someone showing you how to do it. Since there was no one to show me (none of my family knits) I got quite a bit of help from:

http://www.knittinghelp.com

They have short videos that show you how to do certain stiches, or, most importantly for me, how to correct any mistakes made.

Good luck!

Kristin

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#6 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Highly recommend the videos from knittinghelp.com! They really helped me when I was learning.

Funny I have barely knit a stitch since I got pregnant but I was a compulsive knitter before....hopefully my mojo comes back so I can make this winter babe some cute stuff.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#7 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 AM

I *love* knitting. I'm not great at it, but I sure enjoy it. Two Christmases ago, dh bought me the Stitch n' Bitch books, and I highly recommend them. They explain all the knitting in a very easy to understand way, and the patterns in the books are really cool.
#8 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 AM

Ooh, ooh, knittinghelp.com ROCKS!! I go there periodically to refresh my memory on different cast-ons, cables, etc. I plan on buying her CD one of these days, if for no other reason than to support this GREAT site!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#9 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Oh, that's a really good idea! I used knittinghelp.com to start learning to knit a while back -- I've been thinking how it's going to suck having to get so many winter clothes and pjs for this baby. But I could knit a sleep sack! Thanks for the idea! I'm gonna try it.
#10 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
g&a

Oh, what fun!! I wish I could actually knit! Maybe if baby comes late that's what I'll do with all the extra time!!

I was thinking that legwarmers would be a good thing to knit, being that they'll all be winter babies. They would be good for boys or girls, too.

I think I might sew some sleep sacks (or see if grama wants to , as I don't think I have the patience to figure the pattern out to knit them!!

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#11 of 11 Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.
I am going to sew a fleece or flannel one too as I'm decent with sewing and have a good machine.
Thanks for the pattern. After I finish making some squares, and learning the lingo I will definately give it a try!
YAY. I made the hat and it turned out cute. It was really easy though.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Chris

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page