Our Horrible Night In The ER - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were at Shands from 6 PM yesterday until about 40 minutes ago. Yesterday, around 4 PM or so, Alex got real sleepy. He hadn't had a nap though, so I just chalked it up to that. He was still sitting and walking and playing on his own though. Then, when he woke up from his nap about an hour later, he was really lethargic. He couldn't sit up on his own, he wanted to stay asleep, his eyes were barely open.. really drugged up looking. My dad and grandma are really careful about pills and we make them take their pills in their rooms. One pill of each of them (same pill) must be refrigerated so they do take that in the kitchen. Dads careful but Grandmas dementia makes her a little careless at times, but we watch her take it just to be on the safe side. Anyways, Donald got home and my mom got home about 20 min later and we all decided it was time to call 911 because he wasn't snapping out of this. Rescue get there about 5:45 or so and they check his pulse ox and bp and stuff.. all normal. So they decide to transfer him to the hospital, the nearest hospital.. Shands.. ughhh. The paramedic did say they have a really good peds dept so I didnt protest considering anything further would be a lot longer drive for us way out here in Oceanway lol. In the rescue, they checked his blood sugar which was pretty low - 60. They tried twice to get a vein to pump in some fluids to bring up his blood sugar but couldn't get one so he decided to just wait until we got to the hospital. He got a cute little beanie baby bunny We get the ER and thats when I started freaking.. before that, I had kept pretty calm and wasn't freaking out at all. Once I saw all the doctors and they were all doing something different to him at the same time and all, thats when I started to freak lol. And Donald wasn't there yet, so that was a big part of it. He had to follow behind in his truck since only 1 parent can ride on the rescue. He gets there after not too much longer. They draw a lot of blood for labs (we brought a list of all the prescriptions grandma and dad take just in case) and then they get some urine and check his temp rectally and then the doc sticks her pinkie up his hiney to get poo.. poor kid was VIOLATED! He now hates anyone wearing scrubs lol.. It was sad because on the rescue, the 3 sticks he got, he didnt pull away or cry or wince or anything!! and this is the kid who is usually climbing tables and couches and curtains and stuff at this time of day (okay all the time). They then send us to ultrasound to get an ultrasound of his belly because she said sometimes intestinal problems can cause these symptoms (im guessing an obstruction or preforation or something?) and then they gave him some antibiotics in case it was an infection causing it because they didnt feel it would be a good idea to play the wait and see game because of how out of it he was.. he seriously did nothing but lay there with his eyes glazed over and barely open for HOURS!!... They were waiting for CT to open (there were a lot of traumas that came in while we were there) and then finally it opened and dh went with them since Im pregnant. Donald said he did really well because of how out of it he was, they didnt sedate him or anything like that. Donald just had to hold his head straight or something like that. Donalds mom came up for a few hours and after she left, my mom came up for a few hours after she got the kids to sleep (dad and grandma were at home) and Donalds mom is a nurse and was there when they brought up the subject of a lumbar puncture. There was NO way in HEdoublehockeysticks that they were going to stick a needle into my babys spine unless 150% necessary. Right before they brought up lumbar puncture, the urine screen came back. The doc called Donald and I into a private room while Maria stayed with Alex and she said that his urine screen came back positive for canibus(spell?) and I told her the list of meds we gave her said Marinol which is basically marijuana in a pill (the med that dad and grandma both get) and she asked what they took it for and I told her appetite (dad cant gain weight and grandma just is never hungry). She said oh okay, makes sense. and then we went back out, but they still wanted to do a lumbar puncture. Donald and I talked it over knowing that neither of us were going to allow that. Maria added her input which was that he doesn't have ANY other symptoms of meningitis and that its probably a scare tactic because we dont vaccinate (and shes against our decision not to vaccinate but she just didnt think there was a reason to do a LP) He didnt have a fever, didnt have any trouble moving his neck, and at this point he was starting to sit up and want to eat and play a little. Still really druggy looking and sleepy looking but a good 60% improvement from earlier lol. So DH and I told them we were declining it since they had already said they were keeping us overnight. We told them that I would watch for any new symptoms and if something changed, we would def. be willing to do a LP if we felt it was necessary. The doc had a little attitude but oh well! We get to our room and settle in and Alex coslept and nursed all night and woke at 4 to play, went back to sleep at 5 and slept until 7. When we woke up at 7, he was completel 200% back to himself wanting to get down and run off to play (I made him wait for daddy to bring his shoes lol). We were kept until noon for observation and then let free around 1 or so..The doc said we could leave there and go shopping if we wanted (as an example) saying that he is fine and needs no follow up, no meds, nothing... The drugs are out of his system and hes back to normal and will not have any long term effects. Sooo, thats our crazy story and if you made it this far you are probably laughing your head off now.. we are! now that its all over with and hes playing and smiling and laughing, we find this story very funny! The marinol pills are now in the outside fridge and they take them in the garage because this will NOT happen again. So our 14 month old baby was high on pot.. Our little pot head is taking after his daddy when daddy was a teenager LOLOL!!

Oh and I suppose we should expect CPS at our door this week???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Oh my gosh, what a night/day! You must be exhausted. And your poor little one... I can't even imagine what you all went through.

I have to admit, though... I did get a bit of a chuckle over the canibus bit.

Have you seen the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yet?
#3 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM

How crazy!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine how tired you are after that night of events! Thank goodness everything turned out for the best and you are lauging about it now, but it does sound like it was quite a scare!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

#4 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Oh mama, I would be so exhausted. What an awful night for you and it sucks that your boy got a little toasty on Grandma's meds. But I am sooooo happy that he is okay.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#5 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Wow what a night, I hope you were able to get some rest today.
#6 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 PM

Wow, you must have been terrified!! Glad he's ok!!!!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#7 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Oh my goodness! How scary!
#8 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM

What a rough night! How scary. I'm glad it turned out OK!
#9 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

subbing so I can read later
#10 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Tiffany, that must have been so scary at the time. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
But yes, in hindsight I would have to say it's a little funny, but only because he's totally fine now

~e, wife to my sweet T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9
), and monkey (6)
#11 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 PM

Oh how awful! I would have been so upset/scared, too. Obviously it will be a great story about five years down the road, but dreadful now!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#12 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 PM

Holy crap!! What a bizarre turn of events, glad your l.o. is okay now. I sure hope CPS doesn't show up, but who knows...good for you for standing firm about the lumbar puncture, btw.
#13 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Oh my goodness! Thank goodness he is okay now. How terrifying!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#14 of 17 Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM

oh geeze. poor kid? was he starving hungry at any point, lol. glad he's okay, though. that must have been scary! my 2 year old broke his leg last year, adn that was a nightmare. er's are NO fun.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#15 of 17 Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my the whole time I am on pins and needles reading this story thinking the worst...and then I read the canabis part and think Thank god that is all it was!!!

Glad it is all over it must have been pretty scary...but I am glad he is alright and it was nothing serious.....

Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children.
***4***8***12***16***20***24***
***32***36*** 40
#16 of 17 Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahirakids View Post
Oh my the whole time I am on pins and needles reading this story thinking the worst...and then I read the canabis part and think Thank god that is all it was!!!

Glad it is all over it must have been pretty scary...but I am glad he is alright and it was nothing serious.....
That was exactly my reaction when the doc told us what it was lol.. I mean, I guess the doc thought I was a complete nut for smiling and being happy after she told me what was wrong.. but heck, the other options were worse as to what it could have been.. I mean they were talking obstruction of intestines, ruptured intestines, head issues (the did a CT scan), or meningitis.. or it could have been a different med that is worse lol. So I was very happy when she said it was canabis.. but Im sure she thought I was looney, but to me it just meant that he was high and would come off of it and be okay in the end

and yes, he did get the munchies around 10-12 at night and nursed and ate until about 6 AM lol.. and then we woke up at 7 and then he was completely normal again and has been since.. We ended up at the mall yesterday (he has his ear pierced and they took out the earring that pierced his ear to get the CT scan and I couldnt get it back in because its pointy) so I had to get him a new earring.. He played in the playplace like nothing had ever happen lol. Hes his normal wild self, climbing chairs and couches and tables.. Normally it drives me nuts, but Im glad to see it today
#17 of 17 Old 07-19-2007, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Funny how something your kid does drives you NUTS but when they're sick or injured you would GIVE ANYTHING to see them do that annoying thing again! I can relate!

What a relief it was "only cannabis". Phew phew phew. What a scare, Mama!

Me +
Dh =
Dd1(9.5 yrs) +
Dd2(7 yrs) and
Ds(4.5 yrs)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page