Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   January 2008 (https://www.mothering.com/forum/407-january-2008/)
-   -   finding maternity clothes (https://www.mothering.com/forum/407-january-2008/715265-finding-maternity-clothes.html)

ollineeba 07-19-2007 09:25 PM

Why is it so hard to find maternity clothes at an actual store? I desperately need to find some jeans but I'm nervous about ordering them online because you never quite know how they're going to fit.
Our Old Navy had a pitiful selection when I stopped there this week. Stopped at JCPenney's and they don't even have a maternity section anymore- what is up with that??
Grrr... I guess I'm going to have to just gamble and order online. I never had good luck with Motherhood maternity- and I can't think of anything else.
Suggestions? Where do you all shop?

impromptukiss 07-19-2007 09:40 PM

i do it all online. definitely a gamble, but with this being #3, i sort of know what fits & how, lol. imo old navy runs large. i wore an xs through all of my first pregnancy, and xs/sm last time. i just tried some of my xs jeans on today (too hot to wear them, just sortign through the clothes, lol), and they fit perfectly, so i may end this one in mediums, lol!!

and as for jcpenney, someone on another one of my boards was saying she just got some great maternity deals there this week, everythign under $10. so maybe it's just your store that doesn't sell it anymore? i know they still do online.

i got some cute things on ebay recently, usually maternity is pretty cheap there, and a while ago at babystyle.com clearance +20% off that. i still don't have much of a wardrobe since my other two were born in the summer.

DoulaLMT 07-19-2007 09:43 PM

Gap has maternity clothes, though a bit more expensive. I find some good sales sometimes though. I agree that Old Navy runs large. Their XS pants/jeans are too big for me (right now) in the hips. Target size 2's are HUGE on me, so they run large too. I only have a few maternity items, but most I've gotten at the goodwill or other second hand stores.

impromptukiss 07-19-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
Gap has maternity clothes, though a bit more expensive. I find some good sales sometimes though. I agree that Old Navy runs large. Their XS pants/jeans are too big for me (right now) in the hips. Target size 2's are HUGE on me, so they run large too. I only have a few maternity items, but most I've gotten at the goodwill or other second hand stores.
yes, liz lange at target runs HUGE. i bought some xs shorts thinking they'd fit, washed took the tags off. no go. HUGE. a waste of $32! now they're just sitting here. i had gained some weight this year, too. all my other pants are 4's, and maternity just seems to be HUGE.

i have some gap stuff that is sz. small & fit fit for a good while. babystyle runs smaller, too ... but i only buy that one clearance, lol.

i think motherhood has crap. i've gone in a few times, and it's always the same. icky fabric, and not many flattering tops.

ollineeba 07-19-2007 10:49 PM

oh... you two are making me feel like a whale in size large

I love Gap maternity, too. I guess I'll just end up ordering from ON or Gap online. I love shopping online, I'm just so picky about the way my pants fit and the seams and everything

eloise24 07-19-2007 10:54 PM

I'm just sticking with super low-rise jeans and shorts. I can wear stretchy skirts, I just push them lower under my belly. I did discover of all my shorts, just one pair is low-rise, which means I need more! After all, this is Florida (heat index 104 this whole week) and I work with kids, which means lots of outdoors! Most women's Smalls are too big for me, so I know maternity is not going to fit. Hopefully I can just buy bigger sizes of normal clothes and make them work!

mama_y_sol 07-19-2007 10:56 PM

I found some really comfy jeans at Ross...

paniscus 07-19-2007 11:09 PM

I have been wearing a lot of Target maternity. I found it to run large also. I am just hoping that by the end of the summer they will fit better.

You could also try children's consignment stores. They usually carry maternity.

zenma 07-19-2007 11:20 PM

i've been scoping out craigslist in my town, but haven't found exactly what i'm looking for, yet.

usually if you mail order, or order online, you can try it on at home and return it/exchange it if it doesn't fit and they'll cover the return shipping. stores usually include a label in the packaging for that circumstance. some online stores will hem pants to fit, you just have to take your measurements. i don't know if lands end does maternity (i think they might), but you have to tell them your inseam when buying pants.

simplehome 07-19-2007 11:39 PM

I didn't have ANY summer maternity, so I've had to buy a few things already this time. I just scored a bunch of really cute summer tops at the Gap the other day, because all of their summer stuff is on clearance now. Wa-hoo! I'm talking $6.97 per shirt!

I then went to Old Navy, and NOTHING fit, and everything was ugly. I found some cute stuff there last pregnancy, but this season's stuff just looks bizarre, IMO.

I've also bought things at kiddo consignment stores---you have to dig (read: go there without your children!), but I've found some cute tops. I got some Glamourmom tanks for $7 each. Again, wa-hoo!

I also find nearly nothing at our Target stores---I don't mean nothing that I like, I mean nearly nothing at all in the maternity section. It's very sad.

I've never bought anything at Motherhood or affiliated stores, but everything I've had loaned to me from these stores has washed and worn VERY poorly. I'm not impressed.

geck_07 07-20-2007 12:34 AM

I did some shopping at Wal-Mart. They had a super crappy selection of summer tops, but I did get some really nice capris and jeans at a really good price.

g&a 07-20-2007 11:31 AM

You should all move to Canada! We have less selection than you for sure, though it is improving a little. I live near a big city >1 million ppl.

Last time I was pg (4 years ago) there was only one maternity store - Thyme - and I hate that store because the quality is awful. I also found a small selection at the Bay, a department store. And that's it. I went to Sears and asked where the maternity dept was and they said they catered to "Career Women" oh, I can tell you, I was flaming mad!! Can women with careers not have children!! I was standing in their huge childrens' section, no less. I borrowed a lot and bought some white shirts that I modified and painted, so they were all different.

This time The Gap has 1 location with maternity wear, so I bought a bunch of stuff there (the most comfortable jeans on the planet, btw.). A couple of high-end boutiques have also opened up, but I can't afford to shop at them. (Who do they cater to, career women, maybe?)

So, I started asking where people are buying their maternity wear and the overwhelming answer was that they went on special trips to the US just to get some decent clothes. It's a niche market that could really use to be tapped into.

g.

Ruthiegirl 07-20-2007 12:01 PM

I have gotten a few pairs of shorts and a couple of t-shirts at Target this summer. They do run big, but I am larger and my belly has been so sensitive this pregnancy that I am wearing my shorts really loose.

So far, I am just washing and rewashing the same 2 pairs of shorts and a 3 t-shirts. I will seriously need to shop this fall when the weather turns colder.

I have no idea where to go. I really hate clothes shopping and it is so much more difficult when I am sporting a bump.

tyisrrs 07-20-2007 12:45 PM

I love Target, but find the maternity section at my store to be hit or miss. I went in this week and was hugely disappointed. The jeans made my body look horrible, and I left kinda feeling bad about myself (silly hormones).

Yesterday, I went into Mimi Maternity and LOVED the store. They are having a huge sale right now, through the end of July, and every single summer item is super discounted. They already have fall stuff, but I bet by time fall actually arrives, it will all be on sale. I did buy an adorable lace mini dress for half off, a fake "bella" band (Love!), yoga pants, yoga top, and my big coup was a perfect fitting pair of jeans that make my legs look skinny and my rear look great! They fit pretty well in the waist now, but I definately need to get more belly before I get to a point where they don't have to be adjusted when I stand or walk. I love them though and really hope they last the whole pregnancy, because they are a bit on the pricey side. But, I figure with jeans you can wear them constantly, so it's easy to get your money's worth.

Anyway, I guess I am saying I highly reccomend Mimi if you all have one in your area. They also have an online store, but being my first pregnancy, I want to try stuff on first.

ollineeba 07-20-2007 11:10 PM

Ok, so I'm back and guess what??? I had the BEST luck today at Goodwill!! Someone must have donated their entire maternity wardrobe because there was a TON of stuff in my size, long length and everything
I got three pairs of jeans for a total of $18
Oh YEAH. Super cute Old Navy bootcut jeans, in excellent like-new condition, all slightly different in style/color. There were a bunch of capris, too, but I figure summer will be over soon enough and I don't have much storage space.
Anyway, just wanted to share my good find

ollineeba 07-20-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
I didn't have ANY summer maternity, so I've had to buy a few things already this time. I just scored a bunch of really cute summer tops at the Gap the other day, because all of their summer stuff is on clearance now. Wa-hoo! I'm talking $6.97 per shirt!

I then went to Old Navy, and NOTHING fit, and everything was ugly. I found some cute stuff there last pregnancy, but this season's stuff just looks bizarre, IMO.
Our Gap doesn't carry maternity in-store

And I hear you on the Old Navy selection- I walked in there the other day and pretty much just turned around and walked out. Very small selection and some strange looking things. Hopefully they get better stuff this fall because I normally like ON (and their prices )