Please Help Totally Craving Steak!!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now I have been a Vegetarian for about a year now I used to eat fish a few months ago but then stopped.....I am totally craving steak really strongly and my DH is looking at me like I have 10 heads....

Right now he can't say anything to me to make it sound gross and trust me he has tried .... Should I just get a steak and Eat it??

Please help....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children.
***4***8***12***16***20***24***
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
***32***36*** 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

He also mentioned the whole protein thing and I get plenty from cottage cheese nuts tofu etc...

***32***36*** 40
#3 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no help at all since I just ate steak and onions fried with bacon. It was awesome although now that its gone I will probably never eat it again. Im having a hard time eating at all though so I eat if I want it just for the calories.

I think you should eat something else so you are not hungry anymore to think about it. Its like going to the store hungry, BAD IDEA!!!

I am sending strong willpower vibes your way!
Angela

#4 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Are you a tad bit aneimic? Maybe some iron from anouther source and a mineral suppliment to go with it.
Angela
#5 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 PM

I too am a vegetarian, and have been for about 15 years. During my last pregancy, I was craving chicken, so....I ate it. Just a few times, and then I didn't crave it any more.

I guess I am not too much of a help, I am a pretty relaxed vegetarian...But I say, if you are craving it, and you can be at peace with eating a steak, then give yourself permission to eat it.

That my opinion. But it is your choice you have to live it, so, do what you got to do!

Kristin

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#6 of 18 Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update: well I ate some crackers to tide me over while DH went to the store to buy steak luckily we do have a store in the area that sells local meats...well Of course DH had to cook it since I could not look at it and he made me a stirfry with rice, onions and green peppers..He only cooked a few pieces since he wasn't even sure if I could "really" eat it ...It was "okay" I do feel better after eating it but not sure if I will eat it again until I get another craving.

Maybe I should get some of those fake streak strips for "next" time LOL....

Thanks for the support

***32***36*** 40
#7 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 AM

If you brown the steak strips up nice and crispy, mix some sourcream with some onion dip mix and serve over egg noodles it makes a tasty fake stroganoff. I like adding grilled portobellas too.
#8 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

mmm that sounds really good. I might get those strips today....

***32***36*** 40
#9 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM

I knew I was pregnant this time because my standard craving is steak and Kale or beets. LOL. weird I know. I guess it's the protein and folic acid craving. After about 6 weeks though the nausea sets in and I can't eat it anymore.

We (as a family) typically only eat meat/poultry etc once a week. I have used seitan often b/c it has a meat like consistency. It is great in stir fry.
Also, I make potato salad with a cup of tempeh (steamed) thrown in for protein.

I have eaten meat more than once a week, but I'm looking forward to getting back to our normal diet.

Good luck,
Chris
#10 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 03:18 PM

If you decide you want a steak, I have finally perfected the way to make a perfect steak--so juicy and delicious:

The perfectly cooked steak

Preheat oven to 350

1. rinse steak off and pat dry. Sprinkle each side with a half teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper. (the sugar does not make it sweet--it helps to sear in the juices of the steak and create a nice browning on the meat)

2. heat up a frying pan or griddle (I use Analon which can go into the oven so I don't have to use two pans, but you can use 2 pans ad switch if needed) and brush with olive oil or vegetable oil ( I just just brush on enough to oil the pan).

3. When the pan is heated to sizzling, place the steak on the pan. Let it fry (without lifting the mean to get a good crust) for a few minutes, and then carefully check the underside. If you have a nice browning going, then flip your steak with tongs. The use of tongs rather than a fork is important, so you don't let the juices out!

4. Fry the other side for a few more minutes, and then remove from the heat.

5. Rub the steak with a little butter and fresh crushed garlic (you can skip this step, but the garlic is so good on the meat and roasts mellowly in the oven, creating a delicious taste sensation!).

6. Put pan in oven (or transfer steak to oven proof pan) and finish cooking for about 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness of steak and your desire of cooking--I like mine cooked medium).

Take steak out of oven and let it rest for a few minutes, and then it is ready to eat! I have spent years trying to figure out how to broil steaks so they are perfect every time, and with this method I have found it. Last night we had this with rice and lentils and a tomato-cilantro-green onion salad--and it was heavenly! Each slice has perfect crust-camelization on it, and mixed with the mellow smokiness of the roasted garlic it is the perfect juicy steak!
#11 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

How about trying some fake steak next time? Not sure if you're veg*n for animal rights reasons, but if you are, you could try looking at some PETA stuff (or factory farming or whatever). That should stifle your appetite, maybe?

This link should get you started:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><b>Have you seen the <a href="https://
user agreement</a> yet?</b></div></div>
#12 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM

I have to agree with Ruthiegirl. If you dont have something nice to say or at least say it in a nice way dont say it at all. There is anouther time and place for all that.
Angela
#13 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 PM

OP, it sounds like your body is craving iron and magnesium. Eat some good foods rich in those nutrients that fit your diet and throw in some foods rich in vitamin C to help w/ absorption of the iron. Check out this website, scroll down to the bottom for a great list of foods rich in iron.

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html

Here are foods rich in magnesium:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp#h2

Many foods overlap. Good luck, and don't feel guilty because you ate that steak. Do what's best for YOU, not what pleases others.
#14 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

“Observe the attachment to your views and opinions. When you become involved in an argument or conflict, watch how defensive you become, and feel the force of your own aggression as you attack another person’s position. Feel the mental-emotional energy behind your need to be right and make the other person wrong, then let go of the force inside you that is fighting for power.”
~Eckhart Tolle

Thanks to those of you who posted and have given good ideas. I now can see the truth and personality of each poster.

***32***36*** 40
#15 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
OP, it sounds like your body is craving iron and magnesium. Eat some good foods rich in those nutrients that fit your diet and throw in some foods rich in vitamin C to help w/ absorption of the iron. Check out this website, scroll down to the bottom for a great list of foods rich in iron.

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html

Here are foods rich in magnesium:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp#h2

Many foods overlap. Good luck, and don't feel guilty because you ate that steak. Do what's best for YOU, not what pleases others.
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this since I woke up this morning with the same feeling and then it dawned on me that I had run out of my magnesium that I take for heart problem and was planning on picking it up next week. I picked up some today and now I feel so much better. And yes my craving is gone we will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks so much!!

***32***36*** 40
#16 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 PM

I really think you should listen to your body, you are probably low on iron, too! I am trying to eat as much as I can that has iron and protien in it, and if meat gives me that, then so be it! I can barely stomach it most days, but we are a whole foods family, and we eat hormone free meats raised by farmers we know or ourselves (we have 300 acres and run some cattle). The scene that was described before isn't always the scenario. If you do decide to eat more meats, choose a place who's meats are hormone and antibiotic free!
#17 of 18 Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahirakids View Post
I just wanted to say thanks for posting this since I woke up this morning with the same feeling and then it dawned on me that I had run out of my magnesium that I take for heart problem and was planning on picking it up next week. I picked up some today and now I feel so much better. And yes my craving is gone we will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks so much!!
I am glad you are feeling better.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#18 of 18 Old 07-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahirakids View Post

Thanks so much!!
Yay, I'm glad you're feeling better! Don't forget your iron, too -- I suspect if you're lacking in one, you're lacking in both. Toss in an orange or some orange juice or something yummy with vitamin C, too!

Best of luck and have a great rest of your pregnancy! (I'm not in your DDC)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page