Our family has grown! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nathan Allen was born a week ago today 1.3.08 He surprised us all by weighing in all of 8lbs 12oz. I was certain he wouldn't be as big as our first, and he was only 2oz shy and 2.5 weeks earlier!

Here's some pics:
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...Baby%20Nathan/

Our birth was not what I had been hoping/planning/preparing for. I'll give my brief, sad summary. And may I just say I think I must be the healthiest Mom and grow the healthiest babies ever, to end up the one with THREE C-sections

My water was indeed leaking. After my last post, the inlaws came over and we headed to town. Got a hotel room and I finally got some sleep. Nothing much happened throughout the day, or through the night. I'd brought my RRL tea, started adding blue/black cohosh, heck I even scouted out an Italian restaurant so I could have Eggplant Parmagiana, lol!

So the super short version: they 'discovered' my water had been leaking (well the NP insisted it had broken), the OB was still out of town and his (mega-arrogant) fresh out of med school backup flatly refused to a trial of labor, period. We really went round and round. DH and I left the office to think. Our primary concern of course was waiting FOUR more days for our OB to return, w/ leaky/broken waters. If we decided to 'wait and see' and did show up later in active labor, would the "fill in" even 'allow' us to continue to labor, and fat chance any of our preferances would be honored, and imagine what a huge fight over every little request. You can imagine all the thoughts and concerns! Ultimately we decided to do the c-section and as soon as we arrived at the hospital my waters REALLY broke. We still went in, mostly so I could make sure baby was OK. Anyhow it really just got ugly. My bp dropped when they started the IV (which is normal for me, and pretty common) but baby's heartrate dropped to 73, everyone panicked. It rebounded of course, but by that time we were already in OR. They delivered our baby before my husband even arrived in the room (I feel especially bad about that part!) and they gave me ketamine after my spinal (I have NO idea why) and that pretty much rendered the entire delivery what I would imagine a really bad acid trip to be. Seriously, I was hallucinating and had no idea where I was or what was happening. It felt like I was in a futuristic sci-fi movie. I could hear this baby crying, but it was a few minutes before I realized I had been pregnant, and that must be my baby. I could hear my DHs voice and I know he brought the baby over for me to see, but all I could see was the blur of the blue and pink cap. I could hear him tell me he was going w/ the baby (always our 'plan'), and when I could open my eyes, the room just spun. It was completely and totally different then either of my previous c-sections, where I had been totally aware of everything.

I didn't even see Nathan for probably 3 hours afterward, although I was in zero condition to hold him, let alone nurse him. Sadly, they spent nearly an hour trying to get a blood draw from him to make sure he didn't have any infection. Although there was no indications of one, and the first 'risk' was the exam earlier that day.

Luckily, we are a very healthy pair and once we could get over the onslaught of drugs to both of our systems, we are both doing very well. I wasn't expecting a four day stay (w/ no internet, sorry!). But we're home now, Nathan's back up to 8lb10oz, being the champion nurser he is, and I haven't taken an ibuprofen for two days now.

So that's the long and the short of it. There's obviously a lot of ugly details, but here we are now.

Congrats to all the births I've missed out on! And warmest HAPPY birthing wishes to those of you still gestating!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Welcome to you little one! It sounds like you had quite the experience....it's great that you are able to focus on the fact that you and baby are healthy, happy and home! Sorry it was so far from what you intended.

Happy baby-moon!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#3 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM

Oh honey, that is just AWFUL!!!!! I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I am so sorry you did not get a pleasant birth experience, but I AM VERY happy to hear that you and your little man are doing well now!

Congrats mama and Welcome Baby Nathan!!!!

#4 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM

Sorry the birth experience wasn't great, but I am so glad you are both home and healthy! Congratulations!!!!!! Enjoy your babymoon. Oh and he is a doll
#5 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What a beautiful family you have, congratulations on your beautiful son. I'm sorry to hear your experience with the hospital was again so unlike you imagined. Take care of yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Me +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dh =
Dd1(9.5 yrs) +
Dd2(7 yrs) and
Ds(4.5 yrs)
#6 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM

Congratulations, Shana! I'm sorry that the birth wasn't the way you envisioned it. :heart
#7 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 PM

oh he's CUTE!!! welcome nathan!!!!

shanna, i'm so sorry the birth went the way it did. i don't understand why docs feel the need for such interference. i'm glad your nursing relationship is going so well!
#8 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats shanna....Sorry things did not go as planned...as we all know that is how life sometimes is. Anyway it must be so wonderful to hold that baby in your arms ....Have a wonderful and healthy babymoon

Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children.
***4***8***12***16***20***24***
***32***36*** 40
#9 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM

Wow, sounds like you had a rough time.

On the up side, Nathan is gorgeous! Did you make his cute little pants?

Have you seen the
yet?
#10 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 PM

sorry it didn't go as planned, enjoy your baby moon
#11 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 PM

Wishing you and your little one a speedy recovery. Beautiful pics.
#12 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM

I have been waiting and waiting to hear from you! Congrats to you and the happy arrival of Nathan!! I am sorry things were beyond rough, but am glad to hear things are going well now!
#13 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Congrats on your healthy baby!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#14 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM

I'm sorry the replacement OB didn't respect your wishes, but I'm glad you and Nathan are healthy and home. Enjoy your new babe!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#15 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 AM

I'm sorry your birth experience went badly But congratulations! He is a cutie

BTW, is that a Hotsling? How is it working out for you? Can you breastfeed while the baby is in it? I'm still trying to decide on the type of sling I want

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#16 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 05:11 AM

Congratulations on the arrival of your new little one. It wasn't what you wanted but I'm grateful that you and the baby are okay. Wishing you a happy babymoon and speedy recovery.

P.S. I love the baby's pants in the pics

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#17 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Well, sour lemons to that OB! So sorry you had a crummy doc.

But huge congratulations to you and your son!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#18 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Congrats!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#19 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Sorry to hear that you did have a great birth experience but congratulations on your new little man!!!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page