Finally- our update (aka the longest week of my life!) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last time I posted was the early morning of the 30th, saying I was in labor.
We met up with our midwife around 4:00 a.m. at the hospital (we had been planning a homebirth but switched at the very end, since it didn't feel quite right to me- couldn't explain it, but just a strong feeling I couldn't shake).

It was my most intense labor yet, as I went from 3cm to 8cm in about an hour. I had a hard time staying on top of the contractions since things were moving so quickly. Transition wasn't fun- I was hot and then cold, and then would throw up, only to repeat the process again.
When my water broke, there was thick, dark meconium, which was concerning. Just as we were all noticing it, my daughter's heartrate dropped from 150 to about 50 and stayed there for a little while. My midwife had me flip on my hands and knees with my butt in the air while she reached inside and pushed on my dd's head just a tad, to back it away from her cord. This helped and her heartrate resumed to normal levels, only to lower again when her head once again engaged- signaling cord prolapse.
The decision was quickly made to have a c/s and I was rushed to the OR. The delivered my daughter via c/s and she didn't cry.. it felt like forever waiting for those first few sounds of life. She wasn't breathing and they took her away immediately. My husband was just devastated and in a state of shock, not knowing what to do. I told him to go with our daughter, but he hesitated- knowing how upset I was and that another c/s was the last thing I wanted (I had one with my first and had a VBAC with our second). I told him I just wanted him to be with our daughter and to know that she was okay.
Finally we heard a small cry and my eyes just welled up with tears.
She had severe meconium aspiration and wasn't breathing on her own.
They decided to transfer her by ambulance (after intubating and sedating her) to a level 3 NICU about 10 minutes away.
They sent another ambulance for me, so that I could be at the same hospital.
I was able to see her later that evening and I was thrilled to see her, but it was difficult to see all the tubes and wires attached to her, and the IV in her head.
She continued to make a little progress each day, and they took the breathing tube out, replacing it with an oxygen hood, and then eventually replaced that with a nasal canula for oxygen.
She was treated for pneumonia with antibiotics (due to the meconium in her lungs). When she was a day and a half old I nursed her for the first time. It was tricky to nurse and hold her while she was on oxygen and with the wires everywhere, but she did well with it and kept her oxygen levels up, so I was able to continue nursing her for all feedings.
I stayed in the hospital for four days and then DH and I moved into the Ronald McDonald house next door (amazing charity- I will always support them in the future) so that I could be there to nurse her at every feeding, including those in the middle of the night.
Finally, we were able to take her home yesterday, after about a week in the NICU.
We are so happy to be home and I've really never been so tired in my life. Her older brother and sister are thrilled with her and are very intrigued by every little thing that she does. She's snoring here in bed next to her Daddy now.. and although I'm dealing with some serious post partum depression issues, I feel so blessed to have all of us now healthy and home.

~Eileen
dd born Jan.30th at 7:39 a.m. 8lbs12oz, 21" long

~e, wife to my sweet T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), and monkey (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM

Wow, how intense. Mother's intuition is an amazing thing. I'm glad you're both safe and sound. Thanks for sharing your story, mama!

Have you seen the
yet?
#3 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Glad she is home with you, that sounds so scary

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!

#4 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Wow, that sounds so scary! Im very glad your family is all together at last. Sending peaceful vibes your way!
Angela
#5 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM

geez, i'm so sorry you guys had to go through all of that. i loved the rmd house when we needed it in the past- it's great that you were able to be there for all of her feedings. i'm happy she is home and safe with you, and i hope you find healing (inside and out) soon- give yourself lots of time. it's ok.

peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
hbak
Wow that's scary. What a relief that everything turned out alright in the end....

Take care of yourself. Do you have some help? I hope so. I'm sorry you're also dealing with postpartum stuff after all that too. What would help right now?

Me +
Dh =
Dd1(9.5 yrs) +
Dd2(7 yrs) and
Ds(4.5 yrs)
#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM

nak
wow mama, what an intense experience...what intuition you had for the birth, that is a blessing imo.
postpartum can be rough, depression wise, especially if you have to process an intense birth experience like yours and a c/s recovery.
very glad you and your baby are home and okay

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank goodness you listened to that inner voice!
i'm so happy to hear that everything is now okay with your new baby girl and that everyone is safely home.
sending you love and light to lift your spirits...
many blessings

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#9 of 12 Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Wow, how frightening. I am so glad you are all home safe and sound

Take care.
#10 of 12 Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 PM

#11 of 12 Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
Take care of yourself. Do you have some help? I hope so. I'm sorry you're also dealing with postpartum stuff after all that too. What would help right now?
Thanks, mamas
Yes, my DH took a few weeks off for paternity leave, so he's been home with me and is very supportive. I'm not sure what I'd do without him, because I've been a bit emotional, processing everything that happened.
It's been tough, but I feel very blessed that everything turned out the way that it did and my little girl is doing just beautifully. So I've been trying to focus on that aspect.
At her pediatrician's appointment on Thursday she was 9 lbs. Her birthweight was 8lbs 12 oz, but she had been losing weight steadily in the NICU, so I'm thrilled that she kicked it into gear and is nursing so well and already over her original birthweight

~e, wife to my sweet T
, mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9
), and monkey (6)
#12 of 12 Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Intense story. Congratulations on your baby and being able to take her home!

Mama to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page