Early Gender Ultrasound - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting an ultrasound tomorrow at 16w5d, I *was* planning on going to one of those elective 3D places, but my midwife would not sign the release and instead has offered to do an office ultrasound tomorrow. Now I am getting past the excitement and into the worry of how common it is to find out the gender at (almost) 17w and if any of you guys had one that early and if they were right.

I am not sure how good their equipment is compared to an elective place, I guess it's pre ultrasound jitters, but was hoping some of you could tell me my odds.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Is there a reason your MW has to sign a release form for you to go to a 3D ultrasound place? My only guess is because you want insurance to pay for it or something, but I could be wrong of course.

I went to one with DD1, but I paid out of pocket and it was only $150, which I was lucky to have my mom pay half of it for me.

The 3D ultrasound showed DDs gender at 18w, and then they couldn't see it at the normal ultrasound at 20w, but the tech at the 20w was a real...piece of work.

Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 08:53 PM

The 3D places generally require a doctor's release to ensure that you are receiving prenatal care and are not trying to use their ultrasound as a medical ultrasound. Or something like that.

#4 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

That is exactly it. The 3D place needs to know my midwife is seeing me for regular visits and has a 20 week diagnostic scan scheduled to rule out medical problems since they are not a "medical diagnostic center". It keeps the woman from being able to say "my baby has a heart condition and you did not find it so I am suing you". I am not sure why my midwife's malpractice insurance prevents her from signing such a release other than if the elective place were to see something her own office did not... but your guesses are as good as mine.

My insurance will not be billed for the scan tomorrow, I am paying $100 for it out of pocket, and the elective place will not deal with insurance at all, they are cash only. In both cases, it will only be a 2D since the elective 3D place does not start 3Ds until 26+ weeks.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#5 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Ooooh I'm excited to know how it goes
I'm on exactly the same timeline as you but my u/s is scheduled for Friday (17wks right on) due to holidays, babysitting etc.
I'm also nervous that they won't be able to see everything
Good luck!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#6 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wishing you immodest baby vibes too! I keep telling DH that I hope our baby is the most immodest baby in the womb, and I welcome modesty after the birth.

#7 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
We were able to see the girl parts quite clearly at 16 wks. I am having the anatomy u/s on Friday so I will confirm then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#8 of 14 Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With DD1 we had the u/s at 16 weeks and they were right that she was a girl.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#9 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 AM

With my first little girl and my current pregnancy, I was told at 13 weeks that I was having a girl, based on the position of the genital tubercle. (Tubercle pointing down apparently means girl) He was right with my first pregnancy, and I have a second ultrasound scheduled for Jan 2nd with this one, so I should have confirmation then.

But in short....yep, at 16 weeks they should definitely be able to tell, unless your baby is in a bad position (like legs crossed!).
#10 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 01:27 PM

and sometimes even at 20 weeks, and even if the tech is good you cannot find out... lol... my child absolutely refiuysed to get into a good position to see anything... the tech said that (this was at 19.5 weks, actually) she did not see anything dangling, and the baby looks more like a girl, but she could not see girl parts either... my first was a boy, so I am really hoping this one will be a girl... but... on the other hand, DS at his big ultrasound, they were like, WOW< thazts a BIG boy... so maybe that is a good sign that this will be a girl? course, that was at 30 wks.. (my old OB was a little slow)

Theresa, Mom to DS 4-6-06, and DD 5-11-08, and another on the way anyday.
WAHM behind Crystal City Fibers on Etsy.
#11 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Well they told us at 15w 6 days that this baby looked like a girl... we just had our big 20 week sono today and they re-confirmed that is still is a girl... so I think you are far enough along by 16 weeks to be able to see.

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#12 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I guess we will know in about 45 minutes!!

#13 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm measuring way ahead of my dates so we decided to do an US.
Just wanted to say we paid over $400 for my US. So the prices some of you are getting are really good!
I don't have insurance. It was the 20 week level 1 US at a hospital. There was a charge for the US and then a charge for the Dr. who did the US.
#14 of 14 Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
I'm measuring way ahead of my dates so we decided to do an US.<br>
Just wanted to say we paid over $400 for my US. So the prices some of you are getting are really good!<br>
I don't have insurance. It was the 20 week level 1 US at a hospital. There was a charge for the US and then a charge for the Dr. who did the US.
We did our gender ultrasound at 15 weeks in Tacoma. The place is called prenatal universe which is next to nordstroms on the Tacoma mall.
We were so excited when the guy told us its 100% percent girl... and our doctor confirmed when they did an ultrasound later.

I so recommend this place they have hi tech machine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page