Struggling with the last weeks for a different reason this time! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
So I'm like a broken record about why I wasn't at all anxious to get the baby stuff ready this time, since it made waiting for my baby last time a bazillion times harder (but then again, I did have EVERYONE, including my OB, guessing I'd go early, along with lots of progress by 34 weeks, etc). Anyway, this time I'm about 36/37 weeks and really ready to be done. I'd prepared myself for going overdue and didn't really mind, but things have gone smoother than expected the last couple weeks so now I'm feeling readier than I thought I'd be. But...this time it's not the anxiety to meet my baby that's doing me in (I AM anxious to meet my baby but I'm more patient this time as well), it's the weird discomfort I have with my pregnant body this time. Is that wrong? It's so vain, I know. I'm not physically uncomfortable or anything most of the time, but I'm just SO much bigger this time, have a trillion stretch marks (which don't really bother me but with DD I only got a couple itty bitty ones at 38 weeks), look fat, have VERY few clothing items that fit, my vericose veins in my legs are so ugly (I have them pg or not, thanks mom), etc. I'm just really getting down about my body every day. I know that I'll feel loads better shortly after baby comes, just having a slightly smaller stomach for the first time in months, but it's just so nice out and I want to be out in shorts and a tank top or swimming suit and doing summery things but I can't because I just feel so icky.

I just really hate that I even feel like this. I know what a blessing babies are and we've had our own struggles "getting" ours in the first place, so I feel awful that I'm letting my body image bother me so much...but it is.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
. It's not wrong to feel this way; it's just what it is. Have though about trying a positive body image hypnosis/relaxation track? I don't know if you'd have time to listen to something like that, but it might help get you through these last few days/weeks.
#3 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM

#4 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM

your not alone i am feeling very fat and ugly and the thought of dieting enters my head. i would not diet while pregnant but the thought of doing it still pops in there. i just keep thinking only 4 more weeks.
#5 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM

Have you tried getting out and exercising? I know it doesn't sound like fun but I always feel so much better after a brisk walk or a few laps in the local public pool. Plus it will be good for you/baby and it will get your body ready and in shape for labor! Something about getting the heart rate up ALWAYS will make me feel better about myself.
#6 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 PM

I was like that with my first the last couple of weeks. Can you get out and take some time to do something nice for yourself/pamper yourself?

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#7 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mika3 View Post
Have you tried getting out and exercising? I know it doesn't sound like fun but I always feel so much better after a brisk walk or a few laps in the local public pool. Plus it will be good for you/baby and it will get your body ready and in shape for labor! Something about getting the heart rate up ALWAYS will make me feel better about myself.
Yeah, I get out a LOT every day (DH watches DD too so I can go on walks every day). I'm actually weighing less and MUCH more in shape this pregnancy with DD, yet I never felt this way with her either.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
#8 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM

I know how you feel!

I'm a lot smaller and in better shape than I was with DS1, but I'd just been feeling super big and yuck-o.

Things that helped me so far.

1) buying a cute sundress that fits now and will fit fine in the initial post baby stage
2) going swimming (it was hard at first but I just sucked it up and bought a big old mat suit... I feel lighter in the water and it's so relaxing I forget about the poor body image thing for a while)
3) taking care of my body, like: burt's mama oil on my skin, a little makeup, always keeping my hair neat...etc
4) laying out my post baby diet/exercise plan (yes it is only a plan but having it there makes me feel like I'll be on the right track once the babe is born...for me it's WW for nursing moms and doing 1 hour of yoga a day)

Hope you feel better soon!

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#9 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM

I know how you feel. I can't wait to wear regular comfy clothes again.
I've gained the most this pregnancy than with my other 2 and it is also the most painful and uncomfortable one.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#10 of 14 Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd rather be in a tank top and swimsuit now, while pregnant...not looking forward to being postpartum size this summer.

I'm getting anxious too though so I feel for you.
38 weeks and who knows how long to go!!!
#11 of 14 Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM

You know, I feel like I only have 2 *real* reasons for feeling done:

1. MATERNITY PANTS WON'T FREAKIN' STAY UP!!! Why the hell can't someone make some pants that don't fall down at the end of pregnancy? WHY?

2. Turning over at night takes a crane. I don't feel so awful the rest of the day, but trying to roll from one side to the other at night is such an effort and completely wakes me up. Ugh, makes me grumpy.

So yes girl, I get ya!

~Alison
Best Mom Ever to Miss I (3/05), Miss A (5/08), Miss R (8/12)
#12 of 14 Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symesa View Post
2. Turning over at night takes a crane. I don't feel so awful the rest of the day, but trying to roll from one side to the other at night is such an effort and completely wakes me up. Ugh, makes me grumpy.

So yes girl, I get ya!
I so hear you on this! DH works in the automation field with robotic arms. I asked him if he could program one to gently help me flip over during the night.... He said it could be done but it wouldn't pass safety standards.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#13 of 14 Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj'smommy View Post
I so hear you on this! DH works in the automation field with robotic arms. I asked him if he could program one to gently help me flip over during the night.... He said it could be done but it wouldn't pass safety standards.
See, having spent three weeks with a bed to myself, I can say it's WAY easier when I can just roll over to the other side of the bed rather than having to worry about staying in one place. Now that DH is here, I have to kind of lift myself up and flop over, whereas while I was alone in the bed, I could just rolllllllll...

I'm not complaining, really... it's good having him here.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
See, having spent three weeks with a bed to myself, I can say it's WAY easier when I can just roll over to the other side of the bed rather than having to worry about staying in one place. Now that DH is here, I have to kind of lift myself up and flop over, whereas while I was alone in the bed, I could just rolllllllll...

I'm not complaining, really... it's good having him here.
This is why I've been sleeping on the aerobed-- it's so much easier to roll over (and for some reason, it's more comfortable than the regular bed, so DH gets to sleep there).

Of course, getting myself up and out of bed and night to pee is a different story. I could totally use a robotic arm to help with that. Or perhaps a system of pulleys... though I'm guessing that wouldn't be so great for my self esteem.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page