Chiro Question... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

Ok, I made my first trip to the chiro on Wed and when I left I felt fabulous... I was floating and several inches taller. Then, starting yesterday evening and into today, my back and hips feel worse than ever, popping and catching. Ouch. Seriously. Ouch!

I have another appointment on Mon, so she'll see what's actually going on in there... I was just wondering if this is normal, especially during the first adjustment period?

For the record, I trust the chiro's skill... she came very highly recommended and is a member of my HMN group.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM

My chiro warned me that he gauges how well it is working by how bad you feel before it gets better. He says that way he knows you are staying adjusted and your muscles are sore because of it. He also told me to drink a ton of water to flush out the toxins he shook loose and to take a hot bath with epsom salt... ooooh that was heavenly! GL to you!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#3 of 13 Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM

totally normal mama, keep going if you trust her and she's good! ask her if she does Websters Technique...

#4 of 13 Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Totally normal during the early stages of adjustment!

I lovvvve my chiro.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#5 of 13 Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
totally normal mama, keep going if you trust her and she's good! ask her if she does Websters Technique...
Yes, she does use the Webster's Technique... that's one of the many reasons that I chose to see her... she really specializes in (pregnant) women and children.

Thanks mamas! I needed to hear that this is normal... I have some structural problems with my back and I was worried that something was wrong with me in particular, not with her work, if that makes sense. Thanks for the reassurance!
#6 of 13 Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 PM

I just started going back to the chiro recently. In some ways it's awesome, but I really have to get used to being adjusted again after a few month break. I mentioned the other day after 2 weeks of adjustments (3 times a week. I'm super hard to adjust well) that I'm starting to hear my back popping when I get out of bed. She said that's good and probably feels wonderful. I just want my neck back in line so I stop getting these darn migraines.

BTW, What's Webster's Technique? I don't know if my chiro uses it or not.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#7 of 13 Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM

How do you guys afford to go the chiro that often? I would love to go more often, but insurance maxes at $300 and I really can't afford more than 1-2 adjustments per month out of pocket. Do your chiros have some sort of plan? If I went 3xs a wk, it would cost slightly over $100/wk.

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#8 of 13 Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM

I only can afford to go 1 or 2 times a month, which is good because that's about all I need.

I started going last pregnancy when my hips got so achy in bed that I couldn't sleep. Chiropractic every couple weeks saved my life the last trimester. My chiro charges a sliding scale down to about $25 a session if your insurance doesn't cover. I don't know what his full rate is.
#9 of 13 Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Not in your due date club but I saw this and wanted to post...

I think it took me about a week or so to adjust after my first chiro appt, and I wasn't pregnant.

Our insurance covers our visits, but our Chiro also offers something called a 'family plan' (I think that's the name of it) where you pay a flat fee and you can go as often as you agree upon.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#10 of 13 Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM

yep......it's normal
#11 of 13 Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM

My chiro always reminds me that I'll probably be sore for 1-2 days before feeling better after an adjustment. Usually I'm sore the day of, and feel great 2-3 days afterwards.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#12 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyminer View Post
How do you guys afford to go the chiro that often? I would love to go more often, but insurance maxes at $300 and I really can't afford more than 1-2 adjustments per month out of pocket. Do your chiros have some sort of plan? If I went 3xs a wk, it would cost slightly over $100/wk.

My insurance covers 30 visits a year and since my insurance year turns over midsummer (after June, thank goodness!!), I don't think I'm going to run through that between now and then. I'm also going more frequently b/c I've just started and she wants to get me to a maintenance state, then I'll back off on the frequency.

Went back on Monday and I feel pretty good today. A little ache-y, but not bad.

#13 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM

My insurance doesn't cover chiropractic at ALL. I ended up getting on a plan through another chiro, but it cost a LOT of money and we just couldn't afford it anymore. Once I got pregnant, I applied for Medical Assistance, knowing that was the only way I'd get to go to the chiro. We are I think a few hundred dollars a year under the limit. I pay a $1 copay when I go to the chiro now. I'm going as much as possible before my husband's raise kicks in (in May) and we're not eligible anymore. It makes a WORLD of difference for me. I was drinking way too much caffeine to get rid of my daily migraines, and I've only had 1 since I started going back to the chiro. Not to mention my back, hips, and legs.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page