Sleep Positions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every night I am finding it harder and harder to find a comfortable positin to sleep in. Last night I could only lay on one side or my belly...if I even tried the other side I had SEVERE sciatica. Now...I have doen it with all 6 pregnancies, but it still worries me...is it REALLY ok to sleep on your belly? I find myself there all the time and it seems to be the only place I am comfortable.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 12:05 PM

i am woundering the same thing is it safe to sleep on ur belly that is how i alseep all the time

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#3 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM

I've always been a back sleeper, and despite the fact that I know I shouldn't... I always wake up on my back.

When DH is around I try to prop myself up against him so that I'm not completely on my back and that usually works. I hate laying on my side because I can't find a place for my arms.

My midwife said that it if it were harmful, it would be uncomfortable and it bothers some people to lay on their backs and not others. I would imagine that it might be the same for stomach sleepers.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10

#4 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM

I have the WORST nights of sleep. I'm to the point that prop myself up on tons of pillows and then eventually end up on the my side. I naturally sleep on my DPs chest with my leg thrown over him. This really comfortable to me but I feel like I'm going to drown him in my drool (when did that start happening?!). He doesn't mind but I hate that I do that.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#5 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM

It's only comfortable for me to sleep on my side (either side) with my leg over a body pillow. It's just not comfortable for me to sleep on my back or belly.
#6 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got used to sleeping on my side awhile ago with the help of a body pillow. Before pregnancy I slept on my stomach exclusively. Surprisingly, I don't miss it at all right now. I can't really fathom sleeping on my stomach right now - my belly is just too big I think.
#7 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies....I figure I have carried 6 babies and slept that way with them all, but it just makes me worry I am some how squishing her...lol.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#8 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 08:09 PM

I sleep with a pillow between my legs, another on my back for support and sometimes one for my belly too. I often wake up on my stomach too.
#9 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 PM

I sleep sitting up, with tons of pillows behind me. I did the same with my last preg. Its the only thing that works for me.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#10 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM

I sleep on my sides with a body pillow, but sleeping on my back is most comfortable. I try to fall asleep on my side, but I always wake up on my back.
#11 of 16 Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM

Not in your DDC, but... A friend of mine is a tummy sleeper and she had a HORRIBLE time sleepign when preggy - until her MW suggested something. Make yourself a pile of pillows - basically a bed of pillows - and then use a Boppy-type pillow where your tummy goes in the middle of your "pillow bed". This way, your belly will be 'inside' the space created by the pillow and you won't be "squishing" your babe!

HTH

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#12 of 16 Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriAZ View Post
Not in your DDC, but... A friend of mine is a tummy sleeper and she had a HORRIBLE time sleepign when preggy - until her MW suggested something. Make yourself a pile of pillows - basically a bed of pillows - and then use a Boppy-type pillow where your tummy goes in the middle of your "pillow bed". This way, your belly will be 'inside' the space created by the pillow and you won't be "squishing" your babe!

HTH
Dang that's a good idea. I need to try that because I'm a tummy sleeper. When I rollover too much onto it, he kicks me awake.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#13 of 16 Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM

I am with all of you. I think the only negative to sleeping on your stomach is not being too comfortable. Although, the other day I fell asleep on our beanbag chair on my stomach and had the best 30 minutes of sleep I've had in a while. There was a little pouch/"hole" just for my belly
#14 of 16 Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM

I bought the most ridiculous, giant pillow - let me see if I can find the link. Ahhhhh. Here she is http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Back-B...2005934&sr=8-1

Seriously, it's ginormous. But I've never slept as well during pregnancy as I have this time around. I can't sleep on my back because my uterus presses on some kind of vein or something and I eventually pass out (am I the only one - noone I know has had this happen). Side sleeping is okay, but not that comfortable for the entire night. This pillow is great because it's like a supported tummy sleeping position - alot like what KerriAZ was talking about, I think. Plus, if you want to roll over to the other side, you don't have to move and rearrange all the pillows.

I highly recommend it

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#15 of 16 Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 AM

I been really uncomfortable lately but I manage to get a good night sleep since I wake up late. My youngest dd is a good sleeper too, so I am very lucky to wake up before her lol!!! We normally wake up at 10-11 am. phew!

I bought a body pillow with my first and have kept it, even not preggy I can't sleep without it now. I take it everywhere when we need to sleep over. I don't know what would I do without it.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#16 of 16 Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriAZ View Post

HTH
that's a great idea! although I think that you can 'mimick' the same thing with a body pillow. You feel like you are sleeping in your tummy sometimes. I was a tummy sleeper once upon a time before having kids.... now I can't live w/o my body pillow lol

I have a huge washer machine so I wash it all the time and put extra stuffing when it's needed.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page