I'm anemic... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the results from my third tri labs today and it shows I'm slightly anemic.

I've had a hard time taking prenatals because of the nausea and now they want me to be diligent about those and take an additional iron supplement.

I'm sick of pills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Floradix. Great iron supplement in liquid form. It tastes like fruit juice.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/60212

ETA: No nausea and no constipation.
#3 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Definitely second the Floradix rec. I tried some pills in my first tri, and just about died of constipation.

I've been taking half the recommended Floradix dose daily plus my prenatal (and sometimes I miss a day of Floradix if I forget or am traveling or whatever), and my blood tests yesterday were fabulous--unexpectedly so.

I don't love the taste of it, but I just chase it with something and all is well.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#4 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM

Popping in from December...

I've been borderline anemic with every pregnancy. You'll be fine!

The floradix is a great suggestion. What I've always done is iron pills + Vit C to aid in absorption (and helps keep the iron constipation away), and also liquid chlorophyll which is tasteless mixed into juice or tea.

It's a maintenance thing, but nothing that can't be easily overcome.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#5 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM

FLORADIX!!!!

No joke. Ok, so I'm trained as an MA (though I never did my externship so I'm not officially one) and during phlebotomy I was preggo with Paikea. And I also happened to be anemic-as with all of my pregnancies. We had to do hematocrits 3 times a day for practice, including ourselves. So, when I didnt take my floradix, my hematocrit would drop down-no joke-at LEAST 5 points. When I'd take it, the next day, it'd be way up. At the low end I'd be hovering around 30, it'd go up to 35 in a day, and when I continued it'd get up to 38. It was really amazing seeing the difference in person like that!

The nice thing about it is its not constapating and its all natural. It absorbs amazingly better than the pill forms of iron and even seems to work better than iron rich meat. Its great. It tastes funky though-I mix mine in with a glass of OJ.

(Vitamin C also helps to absorb Iron; Calcium does the opposite, prevents Iron absorption, so be sure to take it when you arnt having milk products. This is why the prenatals are silly....lets give you iron, calcium, AND vitamin C all at once . Make sure you dont take Tums when you take it either, give it an hour or so)

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#6 of 15 Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 PM

Floradix is good.

What I've done when I'm slightly anemic is supplement my diet with iron-rich foods. For example, I put molasses in my yogurt every morning, try to eat more meat, nuts & seeds, egg yolks, dried fruits. Also you can add wheat germ to foods such as yogurt, oatmeal, even mac & cheese. This has worked for me. You will probably find you have more energy once you get your iron levels up.
#7 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM

I might have to try floradix as well. I've been taking Slow-Fe and it works, but it stops me up.

Cooking in a cast iron skillet helps a lot too. Almost all my meals are cooked in ours.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#8 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 AM

I agree Floradix is awesome! I've always been anmemic and I simply cannot take iron pills. My midwife sugested Floradix and it has been great for me. I have more energy and feel much better.

''''

#9 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 AM

Wish I'd heard about floradix last week... I just bought some generic slow release iron. Yea, it's a bummer to find out you're anemic.

So far, no nausea or constipation w/ the supplement. But I'm taking xtra Vit C (fighting off cold/infection--ugh-- the whole family is sick, dd1's infection started in her sinuses, spread to ears & eyes) and I get lots of fiber w/ high-fiber cereal and flaxseed meal. So maybe that's what's helping?

Anyway, if constipation starts, I'm totally gonna get the floradix.

More beans & lentils, too...high iron, protein, fiber. what's not to love about beans and lentils
#10 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Oh yeah, if you like em, sundried tomatoes are great for an iron boost. I throw them on...well, pretty much everything, lol. They dry them on iron slabs, so they absorb a lot of that iron. Plus, they're yummy.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#11 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremco View Post
I might have to try floradix as well. I've been taking Slow-Fe and it works, but it stops me up.

Cooking in a cast iron skillet helps a lot too. Almost all my meals are cooked in ours.
My midwife thinks that's why my iron levels are so high - since I was a vegetarian before the pregnancy cravings hit. Now I'll have some meat once in a while but not enough to cause my iron levels to be high. I totally second cast iron - what a great way to cook anything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to Sara
and Robbie

2/200, 4/52
#12 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
I totally second cast iron - what a great way to cook anything!
I'm in the process of replacing our pots and pans. Right now we have a bunch of non-stick stuff that we got as wedding presents. I want to get rid of it all because I read an article about the teflon leaching stuff into your food. But we can't exactly afford to just go out and buy a whole new set of pots and pans right now. One of my wants is a cast iron skillet among other things...
#13 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 PM

I'm anemic as well and my midwife prescribed FerroGels. Is anyone else on this thing?
#14 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I'm in the process of replacing our pots and pans. Right now we have a bunch of non-stick stuff that we got as wedding presents. I want to get rid of it all because I read an article about the teflon leaching stuff into your food. But we can't exactly afford to just go out and buy a whole new set of pots and pans right now. One of my wants is a cast iron skillet among other things...
http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoo...g/castiron.htm

Best prices I've seen for cast iron in a long time. I got two cast iron muffin tins for DH for Christmas. I thought I loved muffins before that, but now I LURV muffins!!!!
I have it bookmarked at work and home cause I WANT that cast iron waffle iron..where's that drool icon?

Mama to Sara
and Robbie

2/200, 4/52
#15 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I'm totally bookmarking it. This is OT, but I had THE BEST ever peach berry cobbler in a cast iron skillet at Girl Scout camp when I was like 10. I've never had it since and have thought about trying to recreate it someday.

I talked to my midwife and she said not to worry about the anemia, that it is pretty common at this point in the pregnancy and that it often corrects itself in a few weeks, especially since the OB said I'm only "slightly". She recommended the Floradix too. So I bought some today and had my first dose with some orange juice tonight. Got a little heartburn because of it and the chili I made for dinner. Waiting a few hours to take some tums because of the calcium blocking absorption thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page