breakfast - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am having such a hard time with breakfast. ive never been a breakfast person.
i have found myself making the organic burritos b/c they only take 3 minutes.

what are you doing thats fast, healthy and yummy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Since I found out I'm pregnant I've eaten the same breakfast everyday (and threw up on the days I strayed): a bowl of cheerios with milk and a glass of milk. Every morning. For the past 3 weeks I have had a bagel with cream cheese as my morning snack at work. I pretty much stick with carbs and dairy before lunch.
#3 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 PM

We don't have a lot of time in the mornings on weekdays, so nothing too fancy.

I usually have Raisin Bran with vanilla soy milk and banana slices - orange juice to drink. When my morning sickness was really bad, I liked Rice Krispies instead of Raisin Bran.

Then, I'll have a bagel with cream cheese for a snack a few hours later.

Sometimes I do the Carnation Instant Breakfast with soy milk.

#4 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I NEEEEEED protein in the morning. Hunger is usually what wakes me in the morning. Or needing to pee yet again. Today was my classic routine. Get to the kitchen and cut up some fresh fruit and get some yogurt and then half an hour later still STARVING I go back and make some eggs or something.
#5 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

yeh, i forgot to add that im trying to stick to teh Brewer's diet and eat and drink lots of protein...thus the burritos. with a huge glass of raw milk. since my pregnancy, we have actually gone from 3 to 4 gallons of raw milk per week! yikes!

my HUNGER level is high in teh am..just not my ENERGY level! lol!
#6 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Before I was pg, my fave for breakfast was Kashi Go Lean Crunch Almond Flax Seed. However, one of my aversions right now is anything crunchy so I haven't been eating it. Unfortunately, foods that are healthy have terrible texture for me right now. I'm currently eating Carnation Instant Breakfast and 2 slices of cinnamon raisin bread. Oh well, at least I'm eating I guess.

Another fave food of mine that could work for bfast is a banana with peanut butter. I like to eat it after a workout since it's got natural sugars and a healthy amount of protein and fat.
#7 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM

I've really been into bagel w/ cream cheese or cereal. I'm not really nauseous anymore, but nothing sounds/tastes good anymore, so I'm limited

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#8 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM

I have to hurry to the kitchen and have a bowl of cereal with milk. I prefer bland cereal to granola for some reason. If I wait, then I will start vomiting, but if I get some food in my tummy right away it helps. I try to have a mid-morning snack of something more nutritions (yogurt, cheese, etc.)

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#9 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
During the first weeks when the m/s was bad, breakfast every day was 2 slices of rye toast with margarine. It worked every day.

Now that my tummy is back to normal (yay!) I've been having a chocolate protein shake in the morning (roughly 35 g of protein) so I can get that out of the way. It's also all my extra calories for the day, so I'm set to eat somewhat normally for the rest of the day. It keeps me full until about noon or so, too.

Carrie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to Nora(8)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Finn (5)
    and Baby Tiebreaker due 1/18
#10 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 PM

cheerios, yogurt, unsweetened applesauce. Those have pretty much been what I'm limited to right now. Last pg was worse, I basically would have one of those frozen fruit bars, the ones made with pureed fruit, and that was about all I could stomach. So I'm doing better this time!
#11 of 19 Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I usually make an egg burrito, egg sandwich or if I'm in a hurry, I heat up a frozen bean and cheese burrito!

Then when I get to work I usually have some yogurt and fruit. I'm starving before lunch everyday! I should eat more for breakfast but I don't want to get up before 6 am!
#12 of 19 Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 PM

My usual breakfast is a banana and kale smoothie. It's fast, fills me up, and it's an easy way to sneak in some leafy greens without having to do much. It's incredibly good and easy:

banana
kale
soya milk
soya yogurt
spoon of peanut butter or almond butter
flaxseeds

I keep the naners in the fridge until I use them as I like the smoothie cool.

I usually also add a few dashed of crushed red pepper, but I undertsnad that's not for everyone.
#13 of 19 Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
I NEEEEEED protein in the morning. Hunger is usually what wakes me in the morning. Or needing to pee yet again. Today was my classic routine. Get to the kitchen and cut up some fresh fruit and get some yogurt and then half an hour later still STARVING I go back and make some eggs or something.
This is so me!

: I eat like 2 breakfast's. The first one is a bowl of cereal (usually granola) because I have to eat fast. Then I have eggs and hashbrowns...sometimes turkey bacon.
#14 of 19 Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Oh, I also wanted to mention that thin sliced cucumbers and/or smoked salmon is really good on bagels with cream cheese since there are so many bagel eaters out there!
#15 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I agree that breakfast is a great meal to get the protein in! I am trying to get about 80 gms of protein a day, and if I just do cereal or toast, it usually doesn't happen. Some things I do:
Yogurt and granola, milk
Breakfast burritos (I make a huge batch and freeze them)
Quiche or mini ones in little pie shell (those are freezable)
Scrabbles with veggie goodness
Soft boiled egg and toast
PB on toast and fruit with cottage cheese
Omlette with lots of veggies or with salsa
Or just adding a helping of cottage cheese also helps with protein in take.
:
Note: Sometimes I get afraid I will gain unneccisary weight or take into much calories, but I have eaten like this through 2 pregnancies and have always gone down to my pre-preggo weight with in a few months. I do stay away from sugar and foods that don't have any nutritional value to me or the baby. I think (for me at least) it helps me take on "good" weight that is lost easily though nursing, but that is just my experience.

Mama to an amazing crew of 6!

cd

#16 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Would you mind sharing how you make and freeze breakfast burritos? I'm all about tex mex 24/365 and I happen to have family coming in next week and It'd be nice to have something handy. Thanks!
#17 of 19 Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

My breakfasts are usually a ww bagel with either cream cheese or peanut butter OR 2 fried/scrambled eggs with toast - I've started adding in morningstar sausages b/c I've been upped to 100 g of protein a day. I need to have something hot as my first meal for some reason (always been this way) so cereal is pretty much out for me. But it does work for my midmorning snack - or I'll have some plain yogurt with fruit cut up in it!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#18 of 19 Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Well I tend to change up my burritos every time depending on what I have on hand, but here is the general idea:

1 carton of eggs (or what will fill up your pan)
1/2 cup milk
1/2-1 full bag of hash browns or
5 potatoes if you want to use fresh (pealed and chopped)
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped tomato
(lots of great veggies can be added: spinach, mushrooms, zuccs. or you could add any meat of your choice, I think ground sausage works the best.)
30 tortillas (not sure how many will be used) I usually tend to make somewhere between 15-25 burritos.
Cheddar cheese
salsa

Fry potatoes, onions, and pepper with olive oil, season to taste. Add tomato and cook until hot. Remove potato mixture and put in a bowl. If you add meat cook it now and remove to another bowl. Beat eggs and milk and scramble in pan until cooked, but not over cooked. Keep them a bit on the wet side. Take foil or paper towels and tear off as many squares as needed, fill tortillas with eggs, then potato mixture, meat, then top with cheese and salsa. Wrap each burrito individually in the foil or paper towel. Put them all in a big zip lock for easy storage. :

To Re-Heat:
Unwrap from foil and wrap in paper towel and heat in microwave for 2 min. turn it in the middle. Or leave in foil and heat in oven at 400* for about 30 minutes (haven't used this in awhile so the times may very).

You can also make breakfast sandwiches similarly, wrapping and freezing them. English muffins work better than bagels that tend to get tough when microwaved.

Mama to an amazing crew of 6!

cd

#19 of 19 Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

I can't believe I never thought of that! That's awesome! Thank you!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page