Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Unschooling (https://www.mothering.com/forum/439-unschooling/)
-   -   So I lied to the school.... (https://www.mothering.com/forum/439-unschooling/991966-so-i-lied-school.html)

Anglyn 11-01-2008 02:31 AM

My oldest child homeschooled for a little over half of ninth grade. He choose to go back for tenth. I bought a program that made very official looking transcripts. I gave him credit for the classes he would have had if he had stayed in school (we did work on all those areas)

He is in 11th grade. At the begining of the year the counselor contacted me for transcripts. Dont know why they dont still have them. I sent them again and am not sure they are identical to the first set as we had to wipe thecomputer since then and I didnt have back up copy.

Today they called to ask what curriculum we used, becuase it has to be noted in his chart. We unschooled, there was no curriculum. What books/websites we did use, we just found what we liked. He picked his own algerbra books, then never used them. Anyway, I paniced, visions of him not being able to graduate next year, etc since it is very important to him to stay in the same grade and graduate with all his friends and I said ABEKA, because I have seen in mentioned a lot and it was the only one that popped into my head. ACK! I sure hope they dont start asking for documentation....

Better go check with the texas homeschool coalition and see whats what. Sigh.

4evermom 11-01-2008 09:50 AM

That sounds stressful!

Anglyn 11-01-2008 01:10 PM

It doesnt help that his dad, my ex, was against homeschooling from the begining and had a total meltdown that I wasnt using the exacxt same books/curriculum as the school. If anything happens, he will blame me. I dont see how they can go back now though and say he doesnt have what he needs. He passed tenth grade and is passing eleventh. Hopefully they cant backtrack on ninth at this late date.

tayndrewsmama 11-01-2008 07:43 PM

Are you required to report to the state what curriculum you use when actively homeschooling? If not, it sounds strange that you wouldn't have to tell the state but would have to tell a school when returning. I am interested to hear what the TX homeschool coalition has to tell you. I hope you don't get any more hassels from the school.

SundayCrepes 11-02-2008 01:14 AM

Nancy Plent created learning guides for just this sort of situation. Her state requires a curriculum plan and these meet the requirements. IF you have curriculum requirements in your state, you may want to check them out:

http://www.fun-books.com/homeschooling.htm

They are at the bottom of the page

Anglyn 11-02-2008 02:42 PM

In Texas, homeschools are considered private schools and Texas does not regulate private schools in any way. No curriculum requirements, no minimum number of days, nothing! So Im good as far as being legal but I believe its up the individual school district as far as where to place a homeschooler if enrolled in ps and what they require for determining placement.When he was going to go to school where his dad lives, they were going to do placement testing,I was surprised this school didnt really ask for anything but transcripts. She just said she wanted to "note it in the file" when she asked what curriculum we used. Hopefully thats that. Im still nervous.

applejuice 11-02-2008 02:46 PM

So you lied.

Don't you think those teachers and administrators are less than honest with you?

Anglyn 11-03-2008 12:00 AM

Well, I think the dishonesty bothers me much less than the idea of it coming back to bite me in the arse!

weliveintheforest 11-03-2008 03:12 AM

I really believe that grade 9 doesn't matter. If he passed grade 10 and passes grade 11, there is no reason for them to give a crap about grade 9.

Anglyn 11-04-2008 06:16 AM

Heres hoping!

DesertMommy 11-04-2008 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post

Well, I think the dishonesty bothers me much less than the idea of it coming back to bite me in the arse!
This whole "Abeka" thing is so funny! Do you even know anything about that curriculum if they asked more? I've lied when confronted with a sudden scary situation. I did a child pageant when I was ten and in the interview portion a judge said something like, "do you have any athletic hobbies?" I suddenly broke out with "mountain bike riding" which I've never done in my life! Then they asked me what kind of bike I had! I don't even know what I said at that point.

Hopefully no follow up questions to bite you in the arse!

chfriend 11-04-2008 09:09 AM

In my state, when a hs kid does 9th at home, then goes to school, the school needs information on the subjects studied to calculate meeting the state's high school graduation requirements.

Here's what I found on Texas' requirements: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.a...09_GradBro.pdf

English language arts (Four credits) - English I, II, III and IV or any other comparable advanced English course
Math (Three credits) including Geometry and Algebra I
Science (Two credits) - Biology, Integrated Physics and Chemistry
Social Studies (2.5 credits) - World History and Geography Studies, U.S. Government and U.S. History Since Reconstruction
Economics, with emphasis on the free enterprise system and its benefits (.5 credit)
Academic elective - World History or Geography Studies or a science course that has been approved by the State Board of Education
Physical Education (1.5 credits)
Health Education (.5 credit)
Speech (.5 credit)
Technology Applications (One credit)

Here's the plan of study for the Abeka curriculum in case you want to line that up with his "9th grade" year:

http://www.abekaacademy.org/Academic...sForGraduation

Hebrew History: Kings of Israel
English 9
Algebra 1
Physical Science
Health (one semester)
World Geography (one semester)
†Physical Education 1

Anglyn 11-09-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMommy View Post
This whole "Abeka" thing is so funny! Do you even know anything about that curriculum if they asked more? I've lied when confronted with a sudden scary situation. I did a child pageant when I was ten and in the interview portion a judge said something like, "do you have any athletic hobbies?" I suddenly broke out with "mountain bike riding" which I've never done in my life! Then they asked me what kind of bike I had! I don't even know what I said at that point.

Hopefully no follow up questions to bite you in the arse!
ok, so its not just me! And no, other than being faith based, i know nothing. And its so ironic because a faith based curriculum would be the last thing i would actually use! Darn the i on my keyboard sticks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
In my state, when a hs kid does 9th at home, then goes to school, the school needs information on the subjects studied to calculate meeting the state's high school graduation requirements.

Here's what I found on Texas' requirements: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.a...09_GradBro.pdf

English language arts (Four credits) - English I, II, III and IV or any other comparable advanced English course
Math (Three credits) including Geometry and Algebra I
Science (Two credits) - Biology, Integrated Physics and Chemistry
Social Studies (2.5 credits) - World History and Geography Studies, U.S. Government and U.S. History Since Reconstruction
Economics, with emphasis on the free enterprise system and its benefits (.5 credit)
Academic elective - World History or Geography Studies or a science course that has been approved by the State Board of Education
Physical Education (1.5 credits)
Health Education (.5 credit)
Speech (.5 credit)
Technology Applications (One credit)

Here's the plan of study for the Abeka curriculum in case you want to line that up with his "9th grade" year:

http://www.abekaacademy.org/Academic...sForGraduation

Hebrew History: Kings of Israel
English 9
Algebra 1
Physical Science
Health (one semester)
World Geography (one semester)
†Physical Education 1
Awesome! Thank you!!
We did continue his studies (we only hs the last half of the year) as far as english and math etc. and for an elective we did the parent taught drivers ed.

And I gave them a set of transcripts. I just didnt know how to expain that we made our on curriculum from this and that......