DS has penicillin allergy and can't walk?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi All -

My 4 year old was on his 8th day with Augmentin for an ear infection when he developed hives all over his body. His doc diagnosed this as a penicillin allergy and said it would take a week or so to work through his system. A couple days after the reaction - my DS began having sever joint pain. Mostly in his knees and today also in his arms/elbows. The pain seems to come-on in the early afternoon - his knees have even turned red and hot to the touch. DS is in a lot of pain - can't bear weight on his legs, needs to be carried and held everywhere. When on my lap, his joint pain will be so severe that he winces when I shift my position while holding him. Doc says joint pain is normal part of pen allergic reaction. DH and I are concerned at how much pain DS is in. Has anyone else experienced this with an allergic reaction??

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am allergic to penicillin. The last time I had it, I was three years old. I do not remember being in pain. But I remember sitting in my highchair and picking up a glass of orange juice and it just slid away and smashed....I had no muscle control at all. My mom has told me I was just completely loose and limp. It was the second time I had been given penicillin. Once as a baby and got hives from it. Again as a 3-yo (why ???) and lost all muscle tone/control, I don't know for how long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Hi All -

My 4 year old was on his 8th day with Augmentin for an ear infection when he developed hives all over his body. His doc diagnosed this as a penicillin allergy and said it would take a week or so to work through his system. A couple days after the reaction - my DS began having sever joint pain. Mostly in his knees and today also in his arms/elbows. The pain seems to come-on in the early afternoon - his knees have even turned red and hot to the touch. DS is in a lot of pain - can't bear weight on his legs, needs to be carried and held everywhere. When on my lap, his joint pain will be so severe that he winces when I shift my position while holding him. Doc says joint pain is normal part of pen allergic reaction. DH and I are concerned at how much pain DS is in. Has anyone else experienced this with an allergic reaction??

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#3 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 AM

Wow! That is severe. Is he taking any Benedryl? I'd give large doses of vit C, and homeopathic Apis for any allergic reactions.

From what I've read, the histamine response and inflammatory response is still occurring. But, there is a concern about serum sickness from the antibiotics. http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...9339/9436.html

Does he have a history of eczema or asthma? Also, for the ear infection, there are homeopathic alternatives which are much safer than antibiotics.

I'd also eliminate dairy to help with his ears healing.

Pat

I have a blog.

#4 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far. DS just woke up screaming. His right leg/knee seems to spasm every so often and he is in incredible pain. His motrin/benadryl is ready to dose again - so maybe its b/c his meds wore off . . . this is very sad to watch . ..

#5 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM

Honestly, I would take your child into the ER to get him some help. He shouldn't have to suffer through that amount of pain.

I have a severe allergy to Septra, which is not penicillin but another antibiotic. When I had my reaction (at age 15), I was in the hospital for 5 days while they tried to get the swelling to go down (hives, joints and throat). It really isn't something to fool around with.

Good luck - I hope he is better soon!
#6 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I would get him seen. He shouldn't have to be in that much pain, and it indicates a severity of allergic reaction that a doc should evaluate. Sometimes docs don't understand that a kid's in real pain or distress until they see it. But you don't want something to happen in the middle of the night -- with his breathing, for example. Honestly, I'd be willing to stay overnight in the hospital with him hooked up to an oxygen monitor (monitors his oxygen levels, very non-invasive, sets off an alarm if it goes down too low) to prevent something like that. Allergic reactions can turn very serious very quickly.

Not trying to be alarmist -- I'm very hands-off medically -- but just thinking you need more support and direction than the doc has given you.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#7 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM

How are you all doing this morning, mama?

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
How are you all doing this morning, mama?

Pat
Thanks for all the reponses and concern. DS woke up screaming around 10 - about the time his Benadryl and Tylenol/Motrin would have worn off. We gave him his meds again - and he was wimpering in pain for about 40 minutes until meds kicked in and he got comfortable enough to fall asleep.

DS sleeps with us - so we monitor him all night.

He woke us and had to be carried downstairs and to potty, etc. I gave him meds at 7:30 again - and he is just now starting to hobble around. Just walked up and asked me to help him put some dress up clothes on - so is feeling good enough to walk a bit and play.

I am calling his doc again today - and going to the store for Apis. Luckily his breathing has never been affected - no anaphylactic like symptoms. And his hives have all gone now - so no more itching. If today goes like the last 3 days - he will be OK from now until 1ish - and then things will get bad again.

Very hard to see him in this much pain. My heart goes out to parents with kids who have chronic illness or injury - so hard to watch your child in pain . . .

#9 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM

The vit C binds with the histamine? to moderate it. I give ds 1/3 of the adult dose, since he is 1/3 an adult size. So, about 1000mg 3-4 times a day, when sick.

Arnica montana can help with the discomfort also.

I would get a Rx for an EpiPen since some cheese has mold spores, which can be cross-reactive to penicillin allergies. Apparently, penicillium mold is where penicillin is taken from.
http://www.allergynursing.com/questions2/cheese.html
http://www.allergies-team.com/a39-he...-to-cheese.php

"Interestingly, literature does support the fact that individuals with allergy to inhaled mold spores may also have allergic reactions to cheeses, fermented drinks, soy sauce, buttermilk, mushrooms, dried fruits, vinegar, or foods containing yeast. "

I'd also consider getting an Rx for a liquid dose of steroids to have on hand in case of emergency.

I'm curious if ds has any other food allergies or asthma? Do you give any type of probiotics? This is a conundrum, because the path to a healthy immune system includes fermented and cultured foods, such as kefir, kombucha, yogurt, fermented vegetables.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 12 Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM

I have learned how to handle these reactions for myself - massage, sweat, and lots of water. My EH will massage me until I can get into the therapist. As I'm resting in bed I pile on the blankets and sweat it all out. Drinking lots and lots of water helps get things moving too.

The massage is painful, but effective. Daily yoga is also a big help.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#11 of 12 Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

How's he doing today? I've been thinking about you all.
#12 of 12 Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 PM

hello, this is the exact same issue my son is facing. I'm curious how things have turned out? The rashes are pretty much gone due to the antihistames, but the joint issues are still lingering after 4 days from discontinuing Augmentin; he refused to walk. Thanks for any additional information you can provide. We have placed calls to the doctor.

Thanks,
a worried DaD

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page