fatigue separate from adrenal fatigue? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm hoping to bounce some ideas off folks here, on behalf of my husband. We did a saliva test in August of last year that showed his adrenals in stage 5 of adrenal fatigue, sorta, it looked like they were sliding into 6 (they didn't clearly fit any of the categories, the graph of the results actually had his results plotted right on the line between 5 and 7), so he's pretty affected, I think worse than me.

And I think I've teased out most of the stresses that have led to this--probably a long-term gluten and dairy intolerance, generally so-so on nutrition, and then several big life events in the past few years (his father's death; birth of our 1st child--happy, but life-changing; a layoff; 2nd pregnancy during which my health fell apart big-time--it's 3.5yrs later and I'm on the road to better, but not there yet; resulting financial stress and a move to a new city). So, I think we're addressing the things above that need addressing.

I know that life stress affects him even more than it does me, and so that may be part of everything, but I can't tell if his tiredness, I'd call it depression almost, is more than just his adrenals. And I don't quite know where to go. Other things I've thought of that could be involved: I bet his vitamin D is quite low (his cholesterol is as low as mine, we're both at about 140 and I know cholesterol is related to the chemical the sun turns into vitamin D in our skin) and his skin color is darker than mine anyway (medium brown, a typical color for folks of Mexican descent) so even though we're in Texas (he works indoors anyway), I bet we're both deficient. And his bloodwork (where we first saw his cholesterol) showed his TSH at 2.6 (his free-T3 was good, in the upper third of the normal range), and I've mostly assumed that was compensatory stress due to his adrenals, but we don't consume as much iodine as I think we should. His ferritin and iron were fine.

So, any ideas on how to decide how much of his tiredness is situational (he's not happy at work) and adrenal-related (both of which we're working on) and what may be due to other things? I could just add more pills to his daily routine, but he's taking a lot and isn't thrilled by it. But he'd take them, if I wanted to add some D and some Iodoral.

Thoughts? Anything I'm overlooking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I know that life stress affects him even more than it does me, and so that may be part of everything,
Norepinephrine is responsible for the sympathetic/stress/'fight or flight' response. It's made from dopamine, and broken down in the same way. So the same factors are in effect. If you're slow to break it down, then it's going to act on you longer, and you'll be more prone to mood swings.

In the methyl cycle, there are two ways to recycle homocysteine into methionine. The main way is with active folate (the form found in food) B12. You can also use the 'back door' - betaine. Using this back door stimulates the conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine.

Quote:
but I can't tell if his tiredness, I'd call it depression almost, is more than just his adrenals.
If depression is a factor, the most common place to look is serotonin. Most antidepressants work by effectively increasing the action of serotonin. Serotonin is made using the same enzyme as dopamine, BH4. This enzyme is also used to process the ammonia that is made during the transsulfuration process. If you were to slow that process down, there would be more BH4 available to make serotonin and dopamine.
Quote:
And I don't quite know where to go. Other things I've thought of that could be involved: I bet his vitamin D is quite low (his cholesterol is as low as mine, we're both at about 140 and I know cholesterol is related to the chemical the sun turns into vitamin D in our skin) and his skin color is darker than mine anyway (medium brown, a typical color for folks of Mexican descent) so even though we're in Texas (he works indoors anyway), I bet we're both deficient.
The vitamin D receptor, VDR is involved in making dopamine. If you were low in vitamin D, it could show up there as lower levels.

Quote:
So, any ideas on how to decide how much of his tiredness is situational (he's not happy at work) and adrenal-related (both of which we're working on) and what may be due to other things? I could just add more pills to his daily routine, but he's taking a lot and isn't thrilled by it. But he'd take them, if I wanted to add some D and some Iodoral.

Thoughts? Anything I'm overlooking?
And increasing dopamine levels is associated with increased energy.

The transsulfuration process also (somehow, I'm not sure on the specifics) stimulates the adrenals.

So if I were developing a plan, I would look for ways to increase vitamin D, then minimize transsulfuration while stimulating the methyl cycle with folate and B12. This is basically what I'm doing for myself, and I'm noticing a rough patch right at the beginning, because dopamine breakdown is getting turned on before dopamine synthesis.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 4 Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I had to google "minimize transsulfuration" and found this interesting (abet confusing) explanation.
http://www.autismcoach.com/Glutathione%20Research.htm

And this one. http://www.autism.com/medical/research/jilljames.htm

ETA: it seems B6 is significant also. http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/136/8/2141

Pat

I have a blog.

#4 of 4 Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WhoMe, I'll go off and read on dopamine and all the related things, that seems interesting. And I wonder how the stress of having a leaky gut (I bet his is, a lot more than mine) fits into this (by "this" I specifically mean the detox pathways discussion). And I will consider adding some D to his routine, he'll be thrilled.

Pat, I will go read those as well--I think I clicked on them last night, but then there were so many things I clicked on and opened, I got overwhelmed. Thx.

And any other discussion/ideas would be great too! We've been having fascinating discussions of detox pathways over in Allergies, but is that really the issue for my husband? Not sure yet, other suggestions are welcome.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page