Another thyroid thread! Confusing test results... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had routine bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago, and it came back with a TSH of 0.9. My doctor called me in to discuss, and told me that I was on the verge of having a Hyperthyroid problem.

My mother has hyperthyroid issues, and I think she actually has Grave's Disease.

My confusion stems from the fact that I actually FEEL more like I have a problem in the other direction:

very tired
difficulty staying asleep
brain fog, losing memories
irritable
no sex drive
low blood pressure
normal heart rate (never noticed racing heart, no trembling or sweats)
not losing weight!

I asked if I could be doing anything to prevent my thyroid to get worse and she said "no". This struck me as something I needed to look into further! Of course, like so many of you that I've been reading about here, I have such a brain fog that it's hard for me to assimilate the information I'm reading!

I'll continue reading through thyroid and adrenal fatigue posts, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else has symptoms that are the opposite of test results...

I have been scheduled to retest in 6 months, and I know now that I should ask for extra tests for T4 and something else I can't think of right now... I'm just not happy with this news and don't want to stew about it for another 6 months! Having something to "do" will help, I think.

TIA for any advice!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That doesn't sound like a TSH on the verge of abnormal to me. And you cannot diagnose thyroid based on TSH alone. Ask her to test the levels of the actual thyroid hormones. Just to give you an example, my TSH has been as low as .003 but my free T4 and free T3 were in range, not hyper at all. So TSH really does not tell the whole story. Absent any symptoms, it is a reasonable screening tool but beyond that it can often be unhelpful, and where you do have symptoms, she really should test further.

I am hypo but when I was taking way too much thyroid replacement I had more hypo symptoms, rather than hyper sx. I think some of the symptoms can be interchangeable, oddly enough, for some people.

If I were you I might try to see someone more natural minded who had experience with thyroid. I have had a heck of a time getting treated adequately; a lot of docs are really no good with thyroid.

You should not have to sit around with all those unpleasant symptoms for 6 months, if there is something going on now that could be treated. I don't know what to tell you re: anything you can do. There may be natural stuff but the regular docs, are pretty useless with that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page