skin tag removal ? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a skin tag in a rather sensitive location-- VERY high up on my inner thigh...it's slowly growing over the years and I think I'd like to get rid of it.
A freind of mine claims the easiest way is to tie some thread/ dental floss around the base of it tightly (which apparently just "stings a bit" ) and then leave it for a couple of days and it will drop off.

Has anyone done this? How painful is it? How effective? Anyone had one removed by a doctor/ dermatologist? How did they do it? How painful?

I am a chicken but do want it gone! I'd rather do it myself if possible but I am feeling like a wimp-- any advice appriciated!

Zoe, mama to Thomas 1/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 AM

my mom got some done by a dermatologist. they have a special tool to cut off small ones and they burn bigger ones. she said it didn't hurt a lot but it wasn't comfortable either. they burn the bigger ones because you have blood flow so they don't want to cause bleeding or infection. it is very effective but also won't stop new ones from forming.
i guess it depends on how big it is. the string method should work . it would probably hurt more at first but once the tag dies it shouldn't hurt anymore.
#3 of 5 Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM

I was born with a skin tag on the back of my ear. The doctors recommended that my mom tie dental floss tightly around it like you described and told her it would be relatively painless and perfectly safe. She was a chicken, and waited.

I had it removed by a dermatologist when I was 13 so that I could have my ears peirced. I don't remember it being painful or causing me any trouble. I'm pretty sure that they just numbed it and cut it off.

Don't know if that helps you any.

#4 of 5 Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 AM

My sister-in-laws get lots of skin tags, usually during their pregnancies. They just tie dental floss or thread around the skin tag, tie it tight and eventually they just fall off.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#5 of 5 Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and confirmation of what my friend suggested. Now all I need is a dose of courage!

Zoe, mama to Thomas 1/06

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page