Calling all iodine experts! Qik ?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 05-23-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you take lugols or iodoral, why and how much for an older person who is likely hypothyroid and hasn't supplemented in yrs.

Does lugols cause stomach upset?

Can you give me any easy to understand (nothing too technical) websites that address iodine supplementation?

Thanks so much!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Lugol's, I don't like additives in Iodoral but Iodoral is more convenient. Both are the best form b/c they contain both iodine and iodide for thyroid and other organs such as breasts.

Start with one drop, then go up to 8 drops slowly. It can cause stomach upset, you can take with food. Can cause headaches and a number of detox symptoms but the benefits FAR outweigh the risks, you just need to know what to expect and how to treat.

This website is pretty clear:
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html

Need to supplement selenium 200-400mg, magnesium 500-1000mg, vitamin C (3+ grams), and maybe B complex with it. May need to do a salt flush for detox.

I will be doing a huge iodine post soon, writing now.

Go slowly if any thyroid disorder, there is a link to iodine literate practitioners at the breast cancer website too.
#3 of 19 Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 PM

This is a very readable interview with Dr. Brownstein that explains a lot as to why we all need supplementary iodine:

http://www.healthtruthrevealed.com/a...912805/article

#4 of 19 Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Jane! I've looked all over but can't find any info as to how a drop of lugols compares to a tablet of iodoral....can you tell me how much iodine is in a single drop?

Also, I, of course didn't read carefully enough....and I started taking 4 tabs of iodoral a day when it arrived....about 2 weeks ago...I was already taking mag and vit c but not selenium. The only thing I've noticed is that I am no longer narcoleptic around lunch time or after eating rice...I'm not sure what I was expecting...but I was reading today that iodine can end up CAUSING hypothyroid if taken in too great a quantity....do 4 tabs constitute excess??

#5 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 09:55 PM

IF you are already taking 4 tabs of iodoral that should be fine since you don't seem to be having a problem taking it (some people have detox symptoms that are uncomfortable).

The only way to be taking too much iodine that would cause hypothyroid is taking more than 20mg a day AFTER you've reached sufficiency which for some people 50mg a day for three months is sufficient, others require longer than that... I have been taking 32.5mg for the past 6 months and only recently have the feeling I may be close to being sufficient due to the sudden occurance of anxiety attacks, though things are a bit stressful lately as well sooo I'm not sure but I cut my dose by 1/4, so I'm taking about 24mg now and it seems to be fine..

Before feeling hypo thyroid you will feel hyper thyroid first, so you can just keep an eye out for those symptoms and reduce your dose when you think you need to and test it out.

One drop of lugols is supposed to be the equivalent of 6.75mg.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#6 of 19 Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Need to supplement selenium 200-400mg, magnesium 500-1000mg, vitamin C (3+ grams), and maybe B complex with it. May need to do a salt flush for detox.
Selenium should be in MCG amounts not MG... just wanted to clear that up.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#7 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Nichole!

I have been snappy and crabby all day so I'm guessing I'm beyond sufficiency....strange it only took 3 weeks? I've never supplemented w/iodine and my multivit doesn't contain it. I'm also a vegetarian so I don't eat fish etc nor have I consumed kelp/dulse so I expected to be super deficient. I don't eat bread though so maybe I haven't had the battle w/bromine that some people have?

Anyway...now you've got me looking into inositol for my kids....works well for people w/OCD? Off to research..........

Thanks again for your help!

#8 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 PM

I started a thread about inositol supplementation maybe 5 years ago in mental health maybe? It's still going so far as I know. You may get some insight there. It was entitles "a true natural cure?" or something along those lines.
#9 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS!!! going in search of....

#10 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM

There ended up being a lot of people taking it so you should get your fix of anecdotal info from nursing moms! There wasn't any research that I recall being posted, but as I said-lots of moms on it.
#11 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link! Sounds like GREAT stuff

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=195601

BUT suppose I wanted to try this stuff too could I still drink my morning coffee and take the inositol in the pm?

#12 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post

I have been snappy and crabby all day so I'm guessing I'm beyond sufficiency....strange it only took 3 weeks?
Feeling snappy and crabby is not a sign of iodine sufficiency. It is more likely a sign of detoxing. Some of the iodine docs take 50-100 mg daily for maintenance.

As far as iodine causing hypo/hyperthyroid, it is true that iodine will cause temporary changes in thyroid function while it finds it's equilibrium. That is why testing is not recomended in the beginning.

I think it is likely that ya'll are too worried about taking "too much". I hang out over at the iodine support forum at curezone http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815 where there are a number of folks who "high-dose" and haven't had thyroid issues. Read some of trappers posts...
#13 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
Thanks for the input Jane! I've looked all over but can't find any info as to how a drop of lugols compares to a tablet of iodoral....can you tell me how much iodine is in a single drop?

Also, I, of course didn't read carefully enough....and I started taking 4 tabs of iodoral a day when it arrived....about 2 weeks ago...I was already taking mag and vit c but not selenium. The only thing I've noticed is that I am no longer narcoleptic around lunch time or after eating rice...I'm not sure what I was expecting...but I was reading today that iodine can end up CAUSING hypothyroid if taken in too great a quantity....do 4 tabs constitute excess??
2 drops of 5% Lugol's = 1 tablet Iodoral, 12.5 mg, which is the standard recommended daily dosage from iodine researchers Brownstein/Abraham/Flechas for breast and thyroid health after reaching sufficiency.

Mainstream medicine doesn't recognize the nutritional need for iodine, nor the toxins which are stored in our bodies requiring it's supplementation in greater amounts ... so read about "causing hypothyroidism" with a grain of (celtic sea) salt. You may consider an iodine loading test to determine how much you need.
#14 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post
Feeling snappy and crabby is not a sign of iodine sufficiency. It is more likely a sign of detoxing. Some of the iodine docs take 50-100 mg daily for maintenance.

As far as iodine causing hypo/hyperthyroid, it is true that iodine will cause temporary changes in thyroid function while it finds it's equilibrium. That is why testing is not recomended in the beginning.

I think it is likely that ya'll are too worried about taking "too much". I hang out over at the iodine support forum at curezone http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815 where there are a number of folks who "high-dose" and haven't had thyroid issues. Read some of trappers posts...
I agree, I do not believe op is sufficient yet.

As far as my own supplementation, I dropped my dose and noticed the anxiety attacks stopped, yesterday I upped it and again had came close to having another... so either I'm sufficient or I'm not excreting like I ought to and have been.. trying to figure out why.

I don't have a fear of taking too much, on the contrary I would have been taking more but because of being pg and bfing I decided that 32mg would be ok until I stop bfing.

One other thing that coincided with the onset of attacks was my stopping my siberian ginseng (that I take for adrenal support) so that is something else I have wanted to test out, if I resume supping that and the same 32mg of iodine will that resolve the issue....

I'm not concrete on anything yet, just putting out there that I've noticed something different and am trying to figure out what's changed to cause it.

#15 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM

I agree with not "high dosing" during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Other than that, I wouldn't be too worried.

As far as anxiety... I'm trying to remember... I think that may be related to bromide detox. You might ask over at curezone, I know I have read some opinions over there as to the cause of anxiety during iodine supplementation, I'm just not clear as to what it was. http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815
#16 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

BTW, after being on iodine for a while I felt euphoric almost to the point of feeling "high". I'm guessing that would be more likely to be a sign of sufficiency.
#17 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
BTW, after being on iodine for a while I felt euphoric almost to the point of feeling "high". I'm guessing that would be more likely to be a sign of sufficiency.
Oh sign me up. I could so use some euphoria.

lol.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#18 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm just weird! I took 2 iodorals this am and I'm on cloud euphoria ! I've been taking 4 pills a day for 3 weeks and have noticed an increase in stamina but little else. i didn't take iodine yesterday because of my crabby day the day before yesterday....I'll go and read some more posts on curezone.

I find that it is difficult to untangle supplement induced symptoms from "life" induced symptoms. I'm trying to get an overall impression....one thing that I have noticed is that I can get through the day w/out taking catnaps...that, for sure, is the iodine!

#19 of 19 Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Oh sign me up. I could so use some euphoria.

lol.
Me too! :

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page