Son needs three months of antibiotics - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh! My son needs three months of oral antibiotics (flagyl) because of an infection in his intestines and colon. His alternative care providers agree that he needs this. He will take it four times a day. When should I give him his probiotics. He has been on an adult formula for the past 8 months.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Is this to treat c-diff, if so I would ask for him to be put on oral Vancomycine over the flagly - it is a second line drug and farm more effective. Also if it is for c-diff then resurch pulse doseing if the vanco - it worked well for my DD, I was told that flagly isn't as good and has more side effects because even when taken oraly it is systemic, where as vanco is isolated to the gastro track.
#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

No its not for Cdiff. He has Hirschsprung's disease and has enterocolitis from that - which is normally treated with Flagyl and washing out the colon daily.

#4 of 4 Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM

You'd give them three hours after every dose. I assume the doses are spread out equally in the 24 hours?
If this is not a yeast fighting drug (I don't think it is but I'm not sure) you can do florastor or another Saccharomyces boulardii (Klaire labs makes one) along with the antibiotic. That is ideal as you are never without coverage. Normal antibiotics will not kill florastor because it is a beneficial yeast. Treatments that fight yeast infections and similar will kill the florastor. Antibiotics will kill all other probiotics so you have to re-dose as if you're starting over each time, except with florastor/Saccharomyces boulardii

I use both florastor with an antibiotic and other probiotic (I like culturelle with antibiotics) between doses. If I had to pick one I'd pick florastor or another Saccharomyces boulardii. Both of those are available dairy free. The florastor is sold as Saccharomyces boulardii via Klaire labs. Culturelle now has a dairy free option. I don't know if dairy is an issue but just in case there are options.

Purchase the Saccharomyces boulardii via florastor or Klaire labs if you can. Similarly, use a good quality and proven to survive the GI Tract probiotic. You need to know what you are using is proven to work.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page