two asthma atacks in less than 2 months - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have asthma, had it for the first time at 3yo, never again until about 14, and had it ever since.
my ex, son´s dad, had terrible child asthma, and has it controlled now
my mom had it very severe also.

my son, now 3.6yo never had any bronch problems, no big colds, nothing big, always with homeopathic remedies, teas, great food, bf 2years, etc. we lived in a small town in spain...now...MEXICO CITY!!!
i know, i have to get outta here...but meanwhile my son has gotten sick, once a month, ever since we got here in february.

terrible "allergic" reaction, noone knows to what, twice, and turned into asthma. so i´ve taken him to homeopath ped, but he´s not getting better. so i took him to a "normal" ped this time, she´s ok. this is what she sent him:

nebulizer: combivent 0.5ml for 8 days and pulmicort 0.5ml twice for 15 days and once for 3 months!!!!!
Dimegan: loratadina, antialergy stuff, 3ml twice for 7days
Novador: antiinflamatory stuff, 2.5ml twice for 5days

i´m all for nebulizing...it gets you breathing again... but cortisone for 3 months????

we assume it´s allergic, but no tests have been done. she sent me to an allergy doc, next month. but meanwhile, isn´t the loratadina just too much? i´m giving it to him only once, at night.

obviously his homeopath ped doesn´t know i´m doing this, shes on vacation.

so i´m looking for mom´s whos kids have gone through this... what the h..l do i do? i want his bronchs to be in great shape, but donñt want to NOT give him what i should just because cortisone scares me...0.5ml isn´t that much, but for 3 months? don´t know

food changes? but he´s eating almost the same things...
maybe just the city... help please!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
#3 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where to start? Help 101

Pat

I have a blog.

#4 of 16 Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very very much!
#5 of 16 Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 PM

I have asthma and had 4 days of attacks recently. My (very holistic) M.D. put me on Quercetin, Allergy Plus (nettles, amylase, bromelain, and some other stuff,) Vit C, Magnesium, and Tumeric. Those coupled with chiropractic work got it under control. I think the Chiro helped more than the herbs. I'm visiting the central valley of CA right now and the air is horrendous here too. So far I had few problems.

I stopped an attack myself with Vit. C, Magnesium (Natural Calm), and Benadryl when i knew I was reacting to environmental factors.

Good luck.
#6 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much. i´m a bit lost right now, cuz i´ve had asthma all my life and so has my son´s father but i don´t see him as asthmatic, i think his 2 attacks have been allergic reactions. but i just don´t know what to do cuz nothing homeopathic has helped him and i always get scared to wait during the attack, i donñt want him to get worse. i´m getting him off of the pulmicort. the ped said to give it to him 3 months, but he´s taken it for 5days already and i´ve started taking the dose down a couple of days ago until it gets to none. and no more.

i´m taking him to my acupuncturer, she works with kids with moxa and mustard seeds, hope this gets it.

been giving him probiotics, vitamin C, omega3 and others for over a week now. but he now has tummy ache and bad stool... y think it´s the cortisone, also his temper is horrible!

thank you very much
#7 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Mama, I feel for you... my baby boy had his first asthma attack at about 10 months. I took him to the er and was terrified.

I can tell you, today at almost 9 years, it has improved greatly!

First and foremost, if you had asthma yourself then you know there is no substitute in a crisis for "rescue" medication (such as albuterol). Keep this on hand. I too love the neb, it delivers the med in such a way that your kid can fall asleep (or back to sleep) while getting the relief.

I used Pulmicort as needed for my son. I know, no one wants to use steroids. In the neb it pretty much stays in the business area where it is needed (the lungs). Some does get into the blood of course, but no where near the level of an internal med. My boy had to use Predisone a few times when he was verrrry sick, and it does to the trick. I have never had to use it more than 3 days in a row/once a day however. The lowest possible effective dose and shortest course should be the goal, esp with children.

The allergy piece is huge. Have him tested for everything and avoid the triggers. Take him to a good, reputable thorough allergist. Don't take the meds they offer, they are drug pushers for sure, but their diagnostics are invaluable. Take that info to your holisic doc...

But when dealing with asthma, always, always have rescue meds on hand.
Peace to you, I know this is worrisome~!
#8 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If he's been having trouble, I would not hesitate to give the cortisone. It will help SO much and he will have so much easier of a time breathing.

In the meantime you can find out what he is allergic to.

He could also be taking something like Singulair every day, there is a pediatric dose.

The thing with asthma is to prevent the attacks in the first place, which something like cortisone will do. An inhaled steroid is better, since it doesn't go systemically through the body. But steroids are key and SO helpful in preventing attacks. I understand your feelings, I hated giving my son pred. when he had croup, but it DID help so much and if you don't have air, then nothing else matters.

As for the rescue inhalers, they are great, but there is a very high morbidity rate with using them alone. You need to get him on a program of using something EVERY day, usually an inhaled steroid combined with a bronchodilator. There is high morbidity associated with using ONLY a bronchodilator, like albuterol, without a steroid. Attacks just get worse and worse and eventually the albuterol may not work. That's why you need the steroid as well. That's why she prescribed that.

So my .02, for what it's worth, is to give the cortisone. He needs it right now and he will feel a WHOLE lot better. I know you won't like it, but that's obviously what this doctor had available for you at his age and that's why she wants you to use it.

Hope he feels much better. It's an awful thing to deal with.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post

been giving him probiotics, vitamin C, omega3 and others for over a week now. but he now has tummy ache and bad stool... y think it´s the cortisone, also his temper is horrible!

thank you very much
Go easy on the probiotics, start slowly. And vit C has stool loosening effects too.

Cortisone made me a crazy woman when I took it for severe poison ivy about 15 years ago. Raving, crying, upset, emotionally labile.

Cortisone also increases blood sugar which feeds candida yeast. The inhaled steroids are much less severe than the oral ones on the body. The systemic steroids are like 50x stronger, per my understanding.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post

As for the rescue inhalers, they are great, but there is a very high morbidity rate with using them alone. You need to get him on a program of using something EVERY day, usually an inhaled steroid combined with a bronchodilator. There is high morbidity associated with using ONLY a bronchodilator, like albuterol, without a steroid. Attacks just get worse and worse and eventually the albuterol may not work. That's why you need the steroid as well. That's why she prescribed that.
I'm all for rescue meds. However, this is not correct, per my understanding. It is the reverse which is dangerous. Using steroid inhalers as rescue inhalers could be lethal.

There was a study mentioned in the Healing the New Childhood Epidemics Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies by Kenneth Bock, M.D. which "found that patients using a bronchodilator with beta-agonists may do more long-term harm than good in some kids. In a study of this approach, 30% of patients using this medication improved over an extended period of time, but 70% of those using a placebo improved."

The book clarifies, "this lack of improvement probably occurred because this medication increases the sensitivity of the bronchial tubes. In addition, the steroidal medications can cause even more serious side-effects." (page 357)

Saying No to Nebulizer for Toddlers?

Pat

I have a blog.
#11 of 16 Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemom View Post

But when dealing with asthma, always, always have rescue meds on hand.
:

Pat

I have a blog.
#12 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'm all for rescue meds. However, this is not correct, per my understanding. It is the reverse which is dangerous. Using steroid inhalers as rescue inhalers could be lethal.

There was a study mentioned in the Healing the New Childhood Epidemics Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies by Kenneth Bock, M.D. which "found that patients using a bronchodilator with beta-agonists may do more long-term harm than good in some kids. In a study of this approach, 30% of patients using this medication improved over an extended period of time, but 70% of those using a placebo improved."

The book clarifies, "this lack of improvement probably occurred because this medication increases the sensitivity of the bronchial tubes. In addition, the steroidal medications can cause even more serious side-effects." (page 357)

Saying No to Nebulizer for Toddlers?

Pat
This is a misunderstanding of what I was trying to get across. Rescue inhalers are ESSENTIAL in treating asthma attacks when they happen. That goes without saying. What I was trying to get across, is that relying solely on rescue inhalers, and treating only symptomatically as attacks occur, is not the way to go. It's dangerous.

You have to use something daily, like Singulair, which is a leukotriene inhibitor, (leukotrienes are chemicals believed to cause inflammation and asthma attacks) or inhaled steroid that will decrease inflammation in the lungs. What using ONLY a brocholdialator will do is decrease sensitivity in the tissue and lead to worse and worse attacks. You must have the steroid component to reduce inflammation.

Now, that does not mean systemic (oral) steroids, necessarily. But it does mean something that will go into the lungs and decrease inflammation, which a steroid does.

No medication is perfect and oral steroids are not very fun. But it's better than not being able to breathe. And they are usually only used temporarily.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#13 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This is a misunderstanding of what I was trying to get across. Rescue inhalers are ESSENTIAL in treating asthma attacks when they happen. That goes without saying. What I was trying to get across, is that relying solely on rescue inhalers, and treating only symptomatically as attacks occur, is not the way to go. It's dangerous.

You have to use something daily, like Singulair, which is a leukotriene inhibitor, (leukotrienes are chemicals believed to cause inflammation and asthma attacks) or inhaled steroid that will decrease inflammation in the lungs. What using ONLY a brocholdialator will do is decrease sensitivity in the tissue and lead to worse and worse attacks. You must have the steroid component to reduce inflammation.
No. I totally disagree.

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Just curious, do you have asthma? Have you dealt with a pulmonologist or an allergist? Just wondering...

Also, even the most holistic of doctors will tell you that asthma isn't to be fooled with. Steroids are of great use for it and help the patient greatly. I've been there. I know.

#15 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Have you dealt with a pulmonologist or an allergist? Just wondering...
Yes, sent you a PM.

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 16 Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

oh i´m getting alot from all of your responses. first of all, thank you very very much for taking time to answer.

WUWEI
thanks for the info... he´s only getting 100mg of vitC a day (comes with 50mg of rosehips in the chewable).
probiotics, also chewable cuz the powder is very expensive and very hard to find here (mexico), the have acidophilus, rhamnosus and bifidobacterium longum. what´s getting on his stomach are probably everything else that comes in these chewables, horrible.
also he´s been taking a syrop with omega3, royal jelly, vitB complex etc... too much for his tummy i think...

she sent singulair also, but i didn´t buy it. too expensive and i think you can give something more natural and less harmful in the end, too many meds, i think.

THANK YOU GIRLS!
i´ve bee looking inthe the "healthyself" web and i´m learning alot, thanks PAT!

next weekend there is an alergyexpo here in mexico city. taking both of us for free doc appointments with allergists and taking the results to our acupuncturer and homeopath.
anyone do antimonium for asma?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page