Building up your child's immunity - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There seem to be a lot of threads about building up your own immunity, but I'm not really seeing anything child specific. What are the ways you plan on / or do already to build up your children's immunity defenses?

I'm concerned about this b/c of several reasons--my oldest will be attending preschool in less than a month, my youngest is ALWAYS getting sick with something (I think her immune system already needs a boost), and I am going to have a newborn in abt. a month.

I plan on *breastfeeding my youngest two and pumping and putting some milk in my oldest's oatmeal in the mornings, *vitamins, CLO, *garlic, *vit C-but what doses?, * Sambuguard (elderberry/echinacea blend), * Coconut oil (lauric acid), *healthy foods, *probiotics (i am giving this in pill form now because I am having a hard time getting them to eat anything with probiotics in it! argh), *I'm looking for something that is alkalining to their systems but don't know what...any ideas?

Sooo those are my thoughts...what are yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to research this like crazy, probably because of the H1N1 scare and my refusal to take (or give DD) the vax.

We bf, whole mostly organic foods, Vit C, cod liver oil, and will be starting probiotics.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#3 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 02:59 PM

We use this stuff - it's awesome.
And probiotics, zinc, sodium ascorbate, clo.
Hand washing helps a lot!
And cutting out sugar!

#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KiddieBoost sounds interesting.....just in case anyone cares, I found this list about balancing PH (which supports immunity) online (girls are asleep--I can research! yay! lol)

I also thought another thing to add is plentiful sleep--our kids definitely need that to keep their immunities up. My kids ALWAYS get sick when they have been lacking in sleep.
#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandmum View Post
KiddieBoost sounds interesting.....just in case anyone cares, I found this list about balancing PH (which supports immunity) online (girls are asleep--I can research! yay! lol)

I also thought another thing to add is plentiful sleep--our kids definitely need that to keep their immunities up. My kids ALWAYS get sick when they have been lacking in sleep.
Enough sleep really does help!
And ditto on the ph - in fact we have those ph test strips that I put on our tongues every once in awhile to see where we're at. You can get them at the drugstore or online.
#6 of 6 Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 AM

i wouldn't be so quick to supplement with kids especially if you have never done any blood work or other tests for your child and don't know of any particular issues your child may have. the only 2 supplements i'd consider very safe for kids is cod liver oil and vit c. i'd do about 5g of vit c a day for a 5yo.

how i keep my kids healthy?
-plenty of sleep. don't underestimate the importance of this
-plenty of sunshine and exercise
-paleo diet (no grains (peanuts, peas, corn and potatoes are grains too), no sugar, no commercial salt (bit of grey sea salt is good), no dairy products (make bone broths, have more sardines, eat vegetables high in calcium) and no processed stuff.
-organ meats - from pastured animals - heart has alot of coQ10, liver has alot of vit a and d as well as zinc, iron, b vits. chicken liver is very good. make into pate and serve with celery sticks.
-plenty of laughs. don't scoff - happiness plays a huge part in immune system health. chase them around the house, tickle them, get some funny movies and have a good time together.
-green vegetable juice - 8oz. coconut oil, egg yolk..

for kids, i'd stick to an excellent diet brimming with paleolithic foods and lifestyle (being outdors alot, lots of sun, go to bed early).

goodluck!!

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page