Medical responses to fatigue/exhaustion/adrenal fatigue? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all - I am going to see my doctor about fatigue that I have been experiencing for quite some time (months?), and I will also see my naturopath.

Typically, what do allopathic docs do for fatigue? Is it all drugs-based?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM

I didn't get help for such a subjective problem as fatigue from medical doctors, it was a big factor in turning to alternative-type HCPs. I had a lot of fatigue, I felt really bad, and didn't get an answer. I wouldn't utter the words "adrenal fatigue," maybe they'll do some testing for thyroid (maybe only TSH which isn't very helpful), iron/ferritin (you'd want ferritin as well), B12, and maybe one of those will be the answer for you. Maybe your doctor would be different than mine, I found the problem-solving to be pretty bare-bones, but that's a very small sample size (2).
#3 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told to take a multivitamin and get more rest.

DS 5-11-06

#4 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I thinkit depends on the allopathic diagnosis. IME and many others here, commonly overlooked causes for extreme ongoing fatigue can be
thyroid
low b12
low iron
adrenal fatigue
hormonal imbalances
other nutritional deficiencies
heavy metal toxicity
These things all overlap of course too.

I had many doctors trying to give me steroids and antidepressants before I got my own testing done independently. I'm still learning every day more about the root causes of my health imbalances. I DO know that antidepressants would not have helped and would likely have done me harm so I'm thankful I did my own research. Again, it's an ongoing thing to puzzle out - but worth it I think.

Good luck to you!
#5 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 PM

When I went in due to fatigue my dr tested me for all sorts of things & it turns out I have low b12 which causes anemia. I get B12 shots every 2 weeks.
#6 of 11 Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gals. That's VERY helpful. I am going to request a battery of blood tests to check for deficiencies. I can't go on feeling this way...it's so debilitating and really puts a strain on my parenting/relationship.

Here in Canada, our naturopaths aren't covered by the medical system, so we pay for blood and other tests. However, if I can convince my doctor to give me those tests anyway, my naturo can get the results.

I do believe my naturo is the way to go, I was really curious to see if allopaths gave out, oh I dunno, uppers?
#7 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
I do believe my naturo is the way to go, I was really curious to see if allopaths gave out, oh I dunno, uppers?
Hydrocortisone, I believe, by prescription.
#8 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Your doc will not help - but I bet your naturopath gets you figured out and feeling better in no time. I recently went thru the same thing - turned out I had a massive systemic yeast overgrowth that was preventing major vitamin absorportion (low vit c, bs, d, etc) and suppressing my immune system (low wbc, platelets, etc) and suppressing adrenals.

good luck

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
#9 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
Thanks gals. That's VERY helpful. I am going to request a battery of blood tests to check for deficiencies. I can't go on feeling this way...it's so debilitating and really puts a strain on my parenting/relationship.

Here in Canada, our naturopaths aren't covered by the medical system, so we pay for blood and other tests. However, if I can convince my doctor to give me those tests anyway, my naturo can get the results.

when they check b12 make sure they also check your methymalonic acid. it's listed as MCH on the bwork. this is much more informative when results come back with b12 than just having b12 checked. levels can be "normal" but MCH really illustrates whats really going on.
#10 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Make sure they do a complete thyroid panel (including T3 levels) as that will be more helpful to the naturopath. My physician ordered all kinds of labs. Make sure your 25 (OH) D levels are tested--this is the vitamin D test and you want that test. Read at the vitamin D council website about types of tests. This, b12, and thyroid are an absolute must with fatigue. Chances are very good your vitamin D is low unless you're supplementing with very large doses. Most people are deficient.
Do you snore/breath heavily and/or wake up tired? Keep sleep apnea in the back of your mind if things come back normal.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#11 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM

sbgrace is right, you will save lots of time by ordering the right tests.
I'd get ferretin (iron) levels checked as well.
Do be sure they do a complete thyroid panel - not just tsh.
Good luck!
fp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page