Risk exposing children to possible swine flu? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My FIL's business partner was just diagnosed w/ swine flu. According to MIL, they tested to be sure (but I can't say I trust that it was actually done).

MIL and FIl are supposed to be visiting this weekend (they live out of state). Of course, my children are so excited to see Grammie and Pop-pop, since we only see them a handful of times during the year.

FIL has not shown any symptoms of flu.

Would you risk the possible exposure? My oldest is partially vaxed. He is 5.5yo and we stopped vaxing when he was 12mo. He received all vaxes to that point, including polio, but NOT MMR. My other 3 children are all unvaxed.

We strive for a healthy diet, eating 95% whole foods, few processed foods.

I have HVCLO and coconut oil on hand and can get them into smoothies for the kids. I can quickly get children's probiotics if I need to, and possibly elderberry syrup or similar.

Thoughts??

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would let them come. My parents were visiting us last week and I got it and then my 9 yo got it and neither of my parents did. And I'm betting my mom had more of an exposure to it through being around my 9 yo than your FIL did from being around his partner. Unless your FIL and his partner routinely hug each other, etc. Also, you didn't say how old FIL is, but older people (born before 1950) are supposed to have more resistance to the flu for some reason.
#3 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

FIL is about 45, so he wouldn't have any resistance from pre-1950 (he's DH step-dad). And I would HOPE that his exposure is minimal, especially since he and his partner usually work in different locations. They own a landscaping contracting company, and FIL is usually out in the field while his partner is typically in the office.

Of course MIL said that FIL was "disinfecting" the office and shop last night

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree...enjoy the visit. I'd be using the stuff you have however and IMO probiotics should be taken on a daily basis anyway, but escpecially when exposed to flus/colds.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I agree...enjoy the visit. I'd be using the stuff you have however and IMO probiotics should be taken on a daily basis anyway, but escpecially when exposed to flus/colds.
Thanks. I try to use the CLO daily, but honestly, other than smoothies, I haven't found another way to get it into the kids. I've tried putting it in their morning sippy cup of OJ but they can taste it and then refuse to drink the juice *sigh* And honestly, smoothies for 3 kids takes quite a bit of prep work so I haven't been diligent w/ it.

We do get quite a bit of coconut oil in our diet, along w/ homemade chicken broth and this week I did my first beef broth. So I've been doing small steps. I agree about the probiotics. I do put yogurt in the smoothies, but I think I need some children's probiotics for them.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I've been trying to slowly increase our immune support, I guess I feel like I just need to jump in and do it.

#6 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM

The incubation period (from exposure to symptoms) of this is pretty short...often less than 48 hours in my understanding. So if he's symptomatic I wouldn't have him come but otherwise I'd assume he's not contagious. Vitamin D3 is the single best thing you can do to prevent flu and build the immune system. Kids over age one can take 2000 IU per day safely. Adults 9,000 IU per day. I'd take 5000 IU as an adult who doesn't know levels. Ideally you figure out levels and dose based on that.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 7 Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
The incubation period (from exposure to symptoms) of this is pretty short...often less than 48 hours in my understanding. So if he's symptomatic I wouldn't have him come but otherwise I'd assume he's not contagious. Vitamin D3 is the single best thing you can do to prevent flu and build the immune system. Kids over age one can take 2000 IU per day safely. Adults 9,000 IU per day. I'd take 5000 IU as an adult who doesn't know levels. Ideally you figure out levels and dose based on that.
Is D3 what's in CLO?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page