Leaky Gut Syndrome? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I did a search, but the subject hasn't been visited too much lately, so I thought I'd post my question anyway.

I am wondering if my dd has leaky gut syndrome. I'll post our life stories : and maybe someone will glean some tidbit that will help us.

My dh and MIL both have troublesome stomachs. They eat a food and 20 minutes later suffer from diarrhea etc. Hemmroids, ulcers, you name it. They both drink Coke like it's going out of style . I'm talking probably 6-8 Cokes per day.

I, on the other hand... didn't even develop a real taste for cola until after I married dh. I don't eat/drink much dairy or meat. I have been totally healthy until the last year or so when my consumption of dairy increased (thanks a lot WIC! ) and I suddenly suffered from kidney stones. I am wondering if I have gallstones as well now. (Pain under right rib, kind of like a stitch on your side when you run and you're out of shape).

My dd is 3yo. She nursed until she was 20 months old. She doesn't drink milk (only water and approx. 4-6oz diluted juice/day). She does eat cheese and yogurt, although not necessarily every day. She does eat meat, but we don't eat meat daily. She has light circles under her eyes. She gets diaper rash quite easily and has a circle around her anus. Her poops are the consistency of diarrhea much of the time, sometimes more like peanut butter. Once in a blue moon, we actually have a turd and we don't have to use 2-4 cloth wipes to get her bottom clean. She is not interested at all in the potty... I don't know if it's fear of the unknown/something new or if it's physically related to whatever it is we have going on.

I would love to do a cleanse myself, but I am bf'ing my 10mo ds and won't wean. From what I understand, cleansing would release too many toxins into my breastmilk. Which reminds me, I wanted to ask... when he does wean, if I do a fast how long would I need to wait to get pregnant?

TIA for any help anyone can offer. My ped's suggestion was to dilute juice and cut out sugar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 04:47 AM

As for your dd, is she taking probiotics? What about grains, veggies too? In other words is her diet balanced?
#3 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
busybusymomma

alternitive medicine mag has a great article about leaky gut this month.
go to www.alternativemedicine.com it says could you have leaky gut syndrome?
the syndrome with the piculiar name brings on a host of unpleasent symptoms, including gas, bloating, stomach cramps and diarrhea. you cant diagnose leaky gut with sysmptoms alone you need a clinical test called lactulose/mannitol challange which can be ordered only by physican. youlll be givin two sugars to eat one made up of large moleclues the other of small. if the larger ones escape into your blood streem or show up in urine the test is +.

I took this out of the artical.. hth

just went to the website and they dont have marches stuff up yet! its march 2004 edition, you can purchase it at any health store

#4 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Monkey. We're hoping to make it to the hfs today, so I'll see if I can find it.

malamamama- She loves breads etc and will eat veggies. She used to eat anything, but lately has gotten pickier and doesn't seem to eat much. Just now I found her eating some freshly grated parmesan out of the fridge. We tried probiotics (Kefir brand I think) and dd wouldn't drink them. She loves yogurt though, and my mom gave me a yogurt maker this weekend but I guess I need to find a recipe for making homemade soy yogurt?

We are going to the ped today to have the kids checked out (we have colds ) and I will ask him about the LGS symptoms.

Thanks!
#5 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 03:15 PM

One thing to watch out for is gluten- it's in wheat, rye and barley (and spelt/kamut). Gluten intolerance can cause these symptoms. There is a a disease caused celiac disease - which is the ultimate gluten intolerance- your bodymakes antibodies to gluten and attacks your small intestine. However, even without celiac disease, many people react to gluten with severe digestive problems.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#6 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by monnie
One thing to watch out for is gluten- it's in wheat, rye and barley (and spelt/kamut). Gluten intolerance can cause these symptoms. There is a a disease caused celiac disease - which is the ultimate gluten intolerance- your bodymakes antibodies to gluten and attacks your small intestine. However, even without celiac disease, many people react to gluten with severe digestive problems.
I'm going to do some more reading so I fully understand what this entails. We saw the ped. today and because dd does not drink milk (which usually causes more solid stools) and because she is actually gaining better than she ever has before (she's now in the 25% and before was usually 5-10%) he said it may be the hereditary thing from daddy.

I do think we will cut out gluten and dairy as much as possible and see if/how that helps.
#7 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 11:55 PM

Probiotics comes in a non-dairy powder form that can be sprinkled on or in whatever. It will really get her digestive system healthy and then she will get the maximum absorption of whatever foods she is eating. I have a picky eater too!
#8 of 9 Old 02-27-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by malamamama
Probiotics comes in a non-dairy powder form that can be sprinkled on or in whatever. It will really get her digestive system healthy and then she will get the maximum absorption of whatever foods she is eating. I have a picky eater too!
nak

can you suggest any certain brands?

tia!
#9 of 9 Old 02-27-2004, 12:24 PM

....is over in the Vax section. My thread "Hope, Faith and Activism" has it all.

This stuff is an excellent group of flora:

http://jarrow.com/products/JarroDophilusfos.htm

Conventional meats are full of high-powered antibiotics and hormones. If the budget permits go to antibiotic hormone free. If not just start culturing--- looks like you've got the yogut maker already.

Try to get off or reduce the processed sugar.

Actually, reading through the info you gave, your whole family's health will be dramatically improved by the cultured Jarro.

Good luck,

Ray

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page