Thoughts on this Vitamin C - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a whole food Vitamin C in powder form that I can give to DD. I was looking at straight camu camu but it's really pricey for what seems a low dose.

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-Madr...0-g/17628?at=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love the look of it. The price seems alright for a high quality whole food C. And you don't have to give him the adult dose. I would half it. But then if you are taking it, then it would use up faster.
I prefer to only take a whole food vit C and I have gotten camu camu form www.herbalcom.com. They also have acerola.
Mountain rose herbs is supposed to have good quality acerola.
Lately I am taking the Vit C from NOW called TrueC.

We are wanting to grow gooseberries (amla berries) and dry them.
#3 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM

I have been looking for a good whole food c source as well. Thanks for that info.

I also found a few others. Can't make up my mind.

http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/syner...l?ad=gbase_258

and here is another..This is just the amla berry though
http://www.pureplanet.com/ProductPage.aspx?ItemID=640

and this http://www.n101.com/nature-s-way-ali...674151433.html

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/superfo...-1-lb-150.html (acerola powder only)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

I don't think that's a low dose for natural C at all. I think 250mg is the highest that is recommended for whole food C (which is twice what that Madre Labs dose it). What am I basing that on... I think Eat Fat Lose Fat.

In any case, I rarely have needed more than 250mg, such as if I feel mild hay fever type sx coming back, I up it to that amount and stay there, and it chases them away in a day.

I didn't like TruC and I forget why. Maybe the food chemical issue. I can do acerola, camu, amla and acai all day but I will say Garden of Life Living C was murder on my bladder.
#5 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

I didn't like TruC and I forget why. Maybe the food chemical issue. I can do acerola, camu, amla and acai all day but I will say Garden of Life Living C was murder on my bladder.
If you know any reasons why to not take the trueC, I am open to it. The only reason I changed from camu camu is my nursing ds hasn't been agreeing with it and trueC is all the HFS had available. But I have been finding it working well.
#6 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I love the look of it. The price seems alright for a high quality whole food C. And you don't have to give him the adult dose. I would half it. But then if you are taking it, then it would use up faster.
I prefer to only take a whole food vit C and I have gotten camu camu form www.herbalcom.com. They also have acerola.
Mountain rose herbs is supposed to have good quality acerola.
Lately I am taking the Vit C from NOW called TrueC.

We are wanting to grow gooseberries (amla berries) and dry them.
Oh I would love to grow gooseberries! I think I may try this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
I have been looking for a good whole food c source as well. Thanks for that info.

These look good too. Now I really can't make up my mind
#7 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
If you know any reasons why to not take the trueC, I am open to it. The only reason I changed from camu camu is my nursing ds hasn't been agreeing with it and trueC is all the HFS had available. But I have been finding it working well.
I think I just tolerated the acerola from NOW better than the TruC with my tendancy toward salicylate intolerance. Well before they changed it to include ascorbic acid.

I'm getting the acerola powder from Mountain Rose Herbals to try now, I like that it's organic and the additive is tapioca not corn.

DS picked this smilie
#8 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I personally like the top 2. I wasn't a fan of natures way C, tried it before but I can't remember why I didn't like it. I wonder how long a pound of the acerola powder would last? That might be the most cost effective. Let us know which you go with. I've yet to get mine...
#9 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I wonder how long a pound of the acerola powder would last?
Using my camu powder packet as a guide I imagine it would be quite a lot, it weighs 5g per 1.5 teaspoons.

16.5 teaspoons in 2 oz. = 132 teaspoons in 1 lb.
#10 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Jane, where did you get your camu, or rather what is the brand? Do you need to take less of the camu also? I am used to taking the mega doses of SA or other mineral ascorbates.
#11 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM

It's TerrAmazon I got it at Whole Foods. 410% of RDA in 1.5 teaspoons, not sure what that is in milligrams. I only just picked up a small packet to tide me over 'til I could solve the problem created by my old favorite (NOW Acerola powder) changing their formula and adding chemical ascorbic acid.

Yes, camu is the same as other natural C's. You don't need megadoses, from what I understand it's the bioflavonoids which keep the C circulating in the body. Chemical versions such as aa or sa wash out in 1 hr.
#12 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM

has anyone tried this? seems to be a combination supplement.
#13 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
It's TerrAmazon I got it at Whole Foods. 410% of RDA in 1.5 teaspoons, not sure what that is in milligrams. I only just picked up a small packet to tide me over 'til I could solve the problem created by my old favorite (NOW Acerola powder) changing their formula and adding chemical ascorbic acid.

Yes, camu is the same as other natural C's. You don't need megadoses, from what I understand it's the bioflavonoids which keep the C circulating in the body. Chemical versions such as aa or sa wash out in 1 hr.
So are you wanting to go back to an acerola powder when you find one without the chemical ascorbic acid? (Is that a sals issue for you? Or is it bad in general?)

So then how do you know if you are getting *enough* when taking these other forms in acute circumstances? For example, when you are sick or having allergy symptoms, etc. When sick, I can tell because it takes much higher doses of SA before we get to bowel tolerance. It's amazing to me to see that so clearly. But when we aren't sick, and I give the SA for something like having a lot of bug bites, or preventively after being exposed to something, etc, I can tell we don't need as much because we have bowel tolerance at much lower doses.

I just looked up the RDA and there are different numbers for different ages/gender, but for an adult male, non-smoker, the RDA is 90 mg and for an adult female, non-smoker, it's 75 mg.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...mins/vitaminC/

So, using the 90 mg, that 410% would be 369 mg. Are you taking just the 1.5 tsp dose once per day for yourself?

I feel like I need increased amounts right now because I am dealing with the gum issues and bacteria in the pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
That looks like a good combo.
#14 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
Marnica posted that one above. She's trying to decided between that one and a few others. But I think it looks good!
#15 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
So are you wanting to go back to an acerola powder when you find one without the chemical ascorbic acid? (Is that a sals issue for you? Or is it bad in general?)

So then how do you know if you are getting *enough* when taking these other forms in acute circumstances? For example, when you are sick or having allergy symptoms, etc. When sick, I can tell because it takes much higher doses of SA before we get to bowel tolerance. It's amazing to me to see that so clearly. But when we aren't sick, and I give the SA for something like having a lot of bug bites, or preventively after being exposed to something, etc, I can tell we don't need as much because we have bowel tolerance at much lower doses.

So, using the 90 mg, that 410% would be 369 mg. Are you taking just the 1.5 tsp dose once per day for yourself?

I feel like I need increased amounts right now because I am dealing with the gum issues and bacteria in the pockets.
No, not a sal issue as berries are high in sal and I tolerate the acerola just fine... it's a gut issue. I know how my gut feels (TMI stuff too, etc.) and it's simply not the same using ascorbic acid. And actually it just plain didn't work as well b/c my hay fever came back on it!

I'm just doing 1 tsp per day of the camu, divided, and its keeping all allergy sx away. I can't say "how you know" for sure. I don't know how Fallon & Enig arrived at 250mg. max per day but I imagine it's different for everyone. I'm sure others have considered this but I haven't seen much anywhere else.

That is the thing, I've read Klenner's research on how high C in the form of sodium ascorbate and IVs neutralize disease and toxicity... but my gut (literally!) is telling me that natural C is better. I don't think Klenner had access to the high doses of natural C as we do today. I wonder if DiscussingNT, or Native Nutrition or other big WAPF forums have discussed...
#16 of 18 Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM

I can't decide!!! I'm leaning towards the pure radiance combo.

DS can take ALOT of SA when well b4 bowels get involved and even more when ill. He has alot of allergy issues and I think this has something to do with it.

I just wonder how much of this natural c it will take....finding it difficult to figure out the translation/comparison dosagewise between the 2.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#17 of 18 Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't decide!!! I'm leaning towards the pure radiance combo.

DS can take ALOT of SA when well b4 bowels get involved and even more when ill. He has alot of allergy issues and I think this has something to do with it.

I just wonder how much of this natural c it will take....finding it difficult to figure out the translation/comparison dosagewise between the 2.
I saw the acerola you were looking at for 45.99 the one from wilderness family is way less and it's the same amount if your interested.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....ts/AC2678F.php
#18 of 18 Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 AM

Resurrecting this....does anyone know offhand if the Synergy brand C is free of corn? Or Madre C? They aren't in the ingredients, but it seems you never know. I'm trying to decide on which to order, based on price, ingredients, and who can get it to my door fastest....thanks!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page