Inhaler vs Nebulizer - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ds (almost 3) gets cold induced asthma, and has a nebulizer (xopenex). This summer we were out of town for a week without the neb, and of course he got sick and was breathing funny one night. We took him to the ped, and she gave us an inhaler for him. She said that studies show that the results are the same as with a neb, but usually a neb is prescribed for children. Does anyone know the difference? It's so much quicker to do the inhaler, it's smaller, it doesn't make noise, and it's sooo much cheaper for the meds (and they don't need to be used within 2 weeks, like they do for the neb). However, is it really as good? Ds has a cold now, and we've used the inhaler twice, but not sure if I should be using the nebulizer instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#3 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
My daughter started having cold induced asthma when she was 2. We were told the same thing about how the inhaler was better than the nebulizer, that it was easier, and when used with a chamber it was more effective than the nebulizer.

WE still liked the nubulizer when her asthma was really bad, but for the light episodes or for catching it early the inhaler was great.
Did you do the same number of treatments as the nebulizer? Was it 3 treatments per day, 2 puffs?

#4 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM

We've been dealing with asthma since DS was about 3, mostly cold induced, but also pet dander, exercise and stress induced. I've read that the neb get the medicine directly where it needs to be and uses less of the med to get the job done - less in my son's blood stream makes me a happy momma. Also, for us, the inhaler has corn which makes him bonkers, so the less we have to use the inhaler the better.

I do agree though, the neb is a big, clunky, noisy monster in comparison. My preference if he's getting a cold or it's getting really bad is to start out with nebs and then do the inhaler if we're out or it's not convenient to do the nebs, but to mostly use nebs until we're on top of things at least. If it's a long term issue (cold), I try to use the nebs as much as possible.

If he's just reacting to pets or has gotten himself worked up and sent himself into broncispasms and it's a short term thing, we'll do the inhaler and see if that takes care of it - if not, nebs.

I would think with the little ones it might be harder to get them to hold the medicine in long enough before breathing out to make sure it gets where it needs to be? Every situation/kid is different though - with enough trial and error you'll figure out what works best for your little one.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#5 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post
Did you do the same number of treatments as the nebulizer? Was it 3 treatments per day, 2 puffs?
For a while the dr had us on 2 puffs albuteral every 2hrs during the time she was awake, with 2puffs 2x a day of flovent.
After her attack seemed over we were to wean her out over the course of 1wk.

The clinic we went to after we left our dr, but hadn't found a new one yet had us do 3 albuteral nebulizer treaments, and 2 puffs of flovent 2x a day.

#6 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We've taken DS to the hospital for a nebuliser and they have recommended using his inhaler instead. With a spacer it was much quicker and less traumatic to use the inhaler. I think it was 10 puffs in the hospital then 4 puff every 4 hours for the next 4 days.

Apparently 30 puff is the equivalent dose of meds as the nebuliser would be so we were definitely giving less via the inhaler. I presume some of this is dependant on what medication you are using, ours is ventolin/salbutamol.

I like to start earlier rather than later when they have a cold or something.
#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

I like to start earlier rather than later when they have a cold or something.
Yes, this, we found that the sooner we gave the meds, even if the asthma hadn't flaired up yet, that the attack would be less severe. If we waited till the Asthma was giving her problems then it would be more severe and last longer.

#8 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM

My 14 yo ds has been on xopenex since it came out . For "everyday" kind of usage we have used the inhaler/spacer since it came out. Since the inhaler came out we only use the nebulizer when he can't seem to coordinate the hold your breathe/breathe deep/breath normal for 5 breathes routine his AA doc has him on. The nebulizer takes all the thinking out of it for him when he is first sick.
#9 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Do you start meds as soon as you hear coughing or when a cold first starts? Last cold, it seemed like the coughing never really happened more than a few times, and we only did the inhaler 3 times. But usually we start meds after ds has coughed more than a couple of times. I'm wondering how you know if they've grown out of needing the meds during a cold?

34me: We didn't get instructions that complicated...I don't think my 3 yo would understand holding breath/breathing deeply/etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page