Dd complains of legs hurting her AFTER taking magnesium - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

For the last week 3 yr dd has been complaing of her legs hurting her, so last night I decided to give her some natural calm magnesium.  In the night she woke up and was crying like crazy about how her legs hurt her.  I decided to see if she need to get up and walk around and she said that she couldn't walk cause of the pain.  I thought she would feel better from magnesium.  I woulder can you get lag cramps from too much magnesium or too little calcium?  The only thing we do for calcim is bone broth and I hope that is enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was going to suggest calcium, I think it's the balance between the two that's important, and it can be trickier when you've got health stuff you're working on--you may have a narrower window to aim for than most people.  Maybe try that Natural Calm that has calcium as well as magnesium? 

#3 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd suggest using calcium in the morning.  If she's cramping with mag that'd be my first line of defense.

I'd also be making super sure she was doing calc phos cell salt pretty often.

#4 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I will look up the NC with calcium. But then PB, you suggest taking them separate? Is there a brand of calcium you like most? I have the calc phos so I will up the dosage... I am just so nervous of messing our magnesium levels with too much calcium leading into magnesium needed to keep the detox pathways open. Does that make sense?

#5 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM

I'd do natural calm with calcium in the am and mag at night.  You're unlikely to get much mag from the cal/mag blend so I wouldn't worry too much.

You need to keep a balance.  Nothing happens in isolation.  If you up your calcium you'll be able to up your mag too...no worries.

#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered some natural calm with calcium, but now a new thought has been spinning in my head. I have lyme, and 18 month ds tested + after birth but I never had dd tested as I didn't even know about lyme when she was a babe.  Now I am wondering if this could be lyme for her...

#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 AM

I'll be honest that it was my first thought too, given your history.  Sounds like it may be time to test?

That said, at this age it's fairly common.  It is usually solved by either increased hydration, calc phos salt or tweaking the cal/mag/potassium balance.

#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think that thw western blot is adequate or the new test you posted you had your dh get?  Not sure if medcaid will cover the test?

#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't think it would...unless you had a doc to advocate for you.  Then it's possible.  Medicaid is generally required to cover what a physician deems necessary-although there are different plans and I'm not certain how that works in your state.  Here, since there isn't a comparable test they'd cover it....but the doctor would have to do some serious talking. 

Also if your doc had an account with neuroscience, or wanted to set one up they can sometimes request a complementary test.  That wouldn't require much effort, and it would be paid for in advance.  It's worth asking if you are experiencing hardship and have a history (which you do-you and your ds tested positive...it's not like you are a hypochondriac.)  This way your doc gets to see how it works (which neuroscience likes) and is more apt to use it.  Win win.

You can do the western blot, but you know how reliable it is.  It's a starting point at the very least.

#10 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

I am so confused. I got some NC w/ calcium and the amount of calcium is almost none on the bottle so she might as well just take magnesium.  I have been giving it to her the last few mornings, and then if I remember I give her mag at night.  So yesterday, dd had extra mag, more than I would give her at night cause she complained earlier of her stolls being hard.  Last  night she was complaining all night and crying the worst ever about her leg  (yeah not both legs).  I havent given her tylenol for years but I did last night as she was crying so much.  Maybe there isn't enough calcium in the supplment but she did have lots of bone broth and kale yesterday for other calcium sources.  Oh I just don't know what to do.  She has a dr visit today...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page