Honey Worries!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I joined this group after reading how many people are thinking of using Manuka honey on babies and young children. I am well educated in the uses of Manuka honey and find it very concerning to hear parents wanting to use this honey on their children. Manuka honey is a very potent honey UMF means the strength of the honey and what it shouild be used for. Never use anything over 16 in adults especially if you are ill, it can actually make your illness worse. I use only UMF 10 myself for people with MRSA and it works just fine! I am talking about adults NOT CHILDREN or INFANTS!! It can cause Botulism in infants! Never use honey in infants or young children! Consult your pediatrician before you ever think of using honey of little ones! When I read of someone mentioning using UMF 20 that scared the daylights out of me!! They must not understand how potent Manuka honey really is!! UMF 20 is exceptionally strong!!! Beware! Manuka honey is a medicinal honey, think of it as a medicine, because that is what it truely is. Would you want to prescribe a drug/medicine to your child or infant without knowing what outcome you will get? that is a very dangerous move! Do your research first, educate yourself first! Do NOT take someone else's word for it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agreee.

#3 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

While I agree caution should be exercised with any honey used medicinally - infant botulism is a danger when honey is ingested correct? Are people ingesting manuka honey for mrsa? I thought it was effective when used topically.

Of course there are concerns when using it topically on an infant. One would have to make sure the infant didn't get their hands into the honey and put it in their mouth - easier said than done Im sure.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page