sick nephew - any thoughts? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 01-01-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my nephew who's about to turn 4 has ended up in pedi-icu

i don't really have a whole lot of facts to support this, but i'm half wondering how group b strep would show up if you're a child??? his mother and grandmother both work in healthcare (one in a nursing home) and i can't help but wonder if its tied into that somehow. all my googles have only related to infants born at risk and nothing is said about kids.

he had a high fever & hallucinations; he wasn't very hungry the night before and had coughed twice; he became "dish rag" and went to the dr. when he arrived his stomach was distended and dr diagnosed pneumonia. which didn't make sense given how little coughing/cold symptoms he had beforehand. they did a suppository for the fever which made some gas move and apparently it was pretty toxic. bowel movements later were along the same lines but much worse.

he ended up being transferred to another hospital and they are claiming its not pneumonia (which didnt make sense anyways) but rather as asthma reaction to a virus in his body. what little reading i've done typically shows an asthma reaction to a RESPIRTORY virus, but nothing has mentioned this as a reaction to gasto-intestinal virus.

something that caught my eye on the GBS reading is that it lives in the intestinal track and that it can cause pneumonia in infants...

all in all its very weird

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page