anyone use a menstrual cup? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 09-20-2002, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone out there has used a menstrual cup. If so, I'd love to hear what you thought of it. Was it more convenient? Cheaper? Cleaner? Was it hard to use?

I think I'm going to try Instead, the disposable brand I see at the drugstore. Always looking for an alternative to pads, and I don't feel good about using tampons (all the chemicals in the cotton, etc. Eeewww!)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-20-2002, 09:21 PM

do a thread search for Keeper- you'll get a ton of info!
#3 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used Instead and was really happy with it. It takes a while to learn how to insert and take it out but once you get the hang of it it is pretty effective. I always wore a pad for back up though but I have horrible heavy periods. They seem expensive at first but if you get the big box they are better. also you only use 2-4 a day depending on your flow. I will probably get a keeper after this baby now that I know I like the whole idea of it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info!!
#5 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 02:05 AM

I used a keeper, but after a few months I had severe itching every time I used it. I disinfected it without luck. Finally, I bought a new one and itched with that too. Final thought is that I react to natural gum rubber, just as I react to latex.

In terms of holding flow, I loved it. I have heavy flow and could keep it in about twice as long as a super plus tampon.

Kimberly
#6 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 03:36 AM

There's one made in Englad called the Mooncup that is made of a different material. I can't pull the page up now to see what material it's made out of now, but I think it's silicon.
#7 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 05:46 PM

If you want more info on the keeper go to http://keeper.com/ . It is easy to clean, don't have to throw anything away, etc. I have used it for four cycles and am having troubles getting it positioned right, so I have some leakage - but otherwise I like it. You only have to empty it every 12 hrs., and no risk of toxic shock syndrome.
#8 of 15 Old 09-21-2002, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, I checked out the website and I think I'm hooked!
#9 of 15 Old 09-23-2002, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

my Keeper is on it's way!! Yippee!
#10 of 15 Old 10-15-2002, 02:49 AM

wow i was gonna get the keeper and i am allergic to latex too.

now am i stuck with glad rags?

has anyone done a sponge?
#11 of 15 Old 10-15-2002, 09:36 AM

Here is the link for the Mooncup made of silicone

the Mooncup

Hope it can help those with latex/rubber allergies I looooove my Keeper:LOL

Valérie   
#12 of 15 Old 10-15-2002, 04:37 PM

The Keeper is made of natural rubber, so latex allergy shouldn't necessarily mean you'd have a reaction. (Unles I am woefully uninformed)
#13 of 15 Old 10-17-2002, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I love the Keeper!!! Cheaper, definitely. Cleaner--depends on what you mean; you WILL have to scrub your hands after emptying it, but it keeps your external private area tidier than a pad definitely and a tampon maybe. I have very heavy flow so always had leakage from tampons, so they were messy. The great thing about the Keeper is that even when it's full, it doesn't leak catastrophically like a full tampon but drips just a little at a time.

I'm not keen on Instead. It's easier to insert but leaks more, and even if you use only 2 a day it's a lot of plastic to throw away!

Thanks for the Mooncup link! I never heard of it before! Hmm, if I buy a new menstrual product will fate make me get pregnant?

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#14 of 15 Old 10-18-2002, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Keeper but don't use it too much. I had a 2.5 month long yeast infection that kept coming back. It took 2 treatments of that yeast infection pill to clear up, plus the OTC creams. It was an expensive and painful infection and I'm so afraid to do anything to bring it back. I think it was the both the Pill the first month, and using spermicide the second month that brought it back but I'm not taking any chances. I do use it briefly if I'm exercising but that's it. I'm happy with my Lunapads.

It's a great thing though, and if I didn't have my issues I'd use it more often. It takes awhile to get it in right. Don't try to put it up too far, just let it sit right at your opening and when you stand up it will find where it's supposed to sit. Doing that prevented a lot of leaks.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#15 of 15 Old 10-18-2002, 04:41 AM
Len

I my keeper

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page