Need advice re: ear infections, eczema, wheezing... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-14-2005, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 20 mos. old & has had constant ear infections since he turned one. He is still nursing several times a day, but also drinks whole milk. My sister mentioned that it all could be related, and now I'm thinking that is true! I feel like a moron for not realizing it sooner. His eczema is getting SO bad lately, it's all over the trunk of his body. Yesterday & today he was itching quite a bit. Any tips on what I can use on him? I am going to d/c cow's milk and get him on soy. What about yogurt & cheeses? He just loves yogurt!! I'm also going to d/c the laundry soap we've been using (although it never bothered him before) Anything else I can do to help my poor little guy? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much milk is he getting per day exactly and how does he take it (a cup, bottle, spill proof sippy that he can lay down with?). Dairy is a big cause of eczema and allergies. If you've been using the same detergent for many, many months it probably isn't that (though definitely a good idea to decrease it). Have you used any new soaps or lotions on him?

Make sure not to overbathe him. Calendula cream (as pure as you can get) works wonders on eczema. Use a good moisturizer after his baths once his skin clears up. Coconut oil is good.

Also, just a little caution, too much soy is not good either. If he's getting your milk already he doesn't need any other milk...just water. If you really want a seperate milk though rice milk is a good choice.
#3 of 3 Old 05-14-2005, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would start with the elimination diet as well as going to free and clear detergents and gentle, natural soap and shampoo.

Also try to allergy proof the bedroom where he sleeps. Cover it with an allergen-proof matress cover. If you can't afford that, get a cheap vinyl mattress cover that goes all the way around the mattress and zips. You can get them for around $15 at Target. Do the same with pillows. Wash *all* bedding at least once a week, hot wash, hot dry, and don't forget stuffed animals that are in the bed. Have him take a bath before bed every night and put on clean PJs. Vaccum and dust regularly and make sure the bed is away any air vents and windows.

Ear infections have many causes but some of the leading causes include allergies and reflux. First, it causes the mucous to build up in the body including the sinuses and the ears cannot drain and get infected. Secondly allergies to foods can cause digestive problems, which in turn may cause him to reflux up into his throat and beyond. My dd has severe reflux, environmental allergies, and recurrent ear infections. She now has ear tubes and they are helping a lot. There is a strong connection between allergies (asthma/eczema), ear infections, and reflux.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page