What is with the nebulizer? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I keep hearing Moms say their kids are on it for what seem to be very mild coughs. I have even heard some doctors using it as almost what seems to be a preventative when a kid has a cold. These are not kids who have asthma, just a cough. Why are doctors doing this? Isn't it a pretty strong medication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The nebulizer isn't the medication, just the tool that helps deliver the medication when a child is too young or otherwise able to use an inhaler properly. You've probably mostly seen people using albuterol type meds- that is an asthma med, as well as being used for bronchitis. It is a strong med, but there are multiple uses and when it comes to being able to breathe, I wouldn't want to mess around. (I don't have an asthmatic child, but I have asthma.)

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 3 Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alot of times, when kids get colds that are bad enough to make them start wheezing, they are put on a nebulizer, all my kids have used one at some point. Albuterol may be a strong medicine, but it really helps, and with breathing issues, it seems that things deteriorate really quickly sometimes. I use the breathing treatments with my kids, because I'd rather fix the problem before it gets too bad.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page