could he have a leaky gut? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a 4 yr old DS who is probably on he autistic spectrum. He is a very pick eater and often want to eat stuff high in gluten and casein. we are thinking he needs to go GFCF but I don't want to make another expensive diet change with out knowing what could really be going on with him... He also only poops yellow. I don't remember a time when he did not poop yellow..He is a little guy and is very skinny. He also seems to always want mac and cheese and wafles... Or oatmeal.. he does not like to eat hardly any thing different. always asking for bread... I know there is a test i think called a peptide test that can test the urine to see if he is having a problem with the gluten and casein... I was also told to get him checked for yeast also... I am so confused right now.. What ids a leaky gut? how do you get it and how can i fix it.. thanks

Christi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 01:01 AM

Get Karen DeFelice's book, it is the best explanation of the digestive system and leaky gut. As well as the gut/behavioral connection:
www.enzymestuff.com

See links on that site that describes leaky gut and what poop colors mean.

Gluten and casein, if not fully broken down by digestive system, can create opiate like reactions in ASD (and probably other) kids as well as adults. Meaning, he gets high from these foods.

One enzyme company, Houston's makes a product called Peptizyde which can replace the GFCF diet by breaking down the problematic peptides. We've been talking about all this on the Healing the Gut Tribe thread (but I know it's overwhelming!)

Most likely he has yeast/bacterial issues or both. You can get a stool culture done to test for both yeast and bacteria. Or an OAT, Organic Acids Test which tests urine for the toxins. Metametrix for the latter and Great Smokies Lab for the former.

Both DS and I are on a diet called the SCD, Specific Carbohydrate Diet, to change instestinal flora that is being used extensively in the Autism community.
http://www.pecanbread.com/BTVCautismchapter.html
#3 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link i think i will get the book but i can not find where on the site to find out about the poop colors... never have i been so concerened about poop.... thanks

#4 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 01:21 AM

hope you don't mind me barging in to sub to this thread . i want to come back when Em's not talking & helping me type & check out the info, esp the slternative to going gf/cf....
#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 01:24 AM

the link for poop colors is called "Studying Stools"
http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm
#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks i am going to order the enzymes book and se if i can figure this kid out...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page