Wound care help! oozing nasty wound... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 04-22-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS 16 months has excema bad, we have the creams etc.
But lately its nasty and oozing though his socks onto his bedsheets at night.
So we're beyond normal cream treatments...

The pharmacist suggested since all the creams aren't working at the wound could get infected if it isn't already.... to get him oral antiboitics...

any other suggestions?

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Gosh, I hope this child is NOT vaccinated.
#3 of 26 Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

lol dh has such severe egg allergies I've always thought since he got them at 19 that it was vaccination related as he could eat eggs up until one day he just started bleeding internally every time he ate eggs... (and most vaccinations are cultured in eggs) also I've heard (no source) that many of the vaccinations are contraindicated (chicken pox especially) with children with severe ecema?

anyone got a source for that?

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015

#4 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 AM

Exactly. Yet if a child with severe eczema gets cp or measles naturally, it often times clears up the eczema.

So, he is vaccinated?

Did he get the eczema after being vaccinated?

Have you ever tried ocean water soaks (salt water) for his eczema?

http://www.talkeczema.com/webpages/y...munisation.htm
#5 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 AM

Top Ten Skin Allergens Identified

Guess what they are?

nickel -
gold -
balsam of Peru - used in perfumes and skin lotions;
thimerosal - a mercury compound used in vaccines and local antiseptics
neomycin sulfate - a topical antibiotic, Neomycin is in vaccines
fragrance mix - in foods, cosmetics, dental products, insecticides; formaldehyde - a preservative used in vaccines
cobalt chloride - in hair dye, antiperspirant,
bacitracin - a topical antibiotic
quaternium 15 - in cosmetic products
#6 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you say creams, do you mean topical steroids? I know that these are far from "natural" and have various side effects, but when my eczema is really raging, these are the only things that help get it back to a managable place. You might ask your dr. for a stronger cream for use during a serious flare up. Otherwise, you do risk skin infection.

Do you have to keep him in socks at night? I'm no sure if this is something you're doing to prevent scratching, but also bear in mind that perspiration can really irritate eczema, so as long as he's not scratching too much, he might be better off without socks.

I second the salt-water baths--they can be very soothing.

This website has TONS of good info, and it includes info about contraindications for the smallpox vaccine (maybe that's what you're thinking of?).

http://www.nationaleczema.org/home.html

Just as an aside, not that there isn't something to the cp/measles/eczema link, but I did have cp as a kid and my skin never cleared up. But MOST children do grow out of eczema.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#7 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 01:29 AM

FWIW I don't believe anyone "grows out of eczema." I think that the reaction goes deeper. You are lucky if the manifestation is on the skin as opposed to deeper in the organs... Like food allergies tend to manifest first in rashes/eczema and later become autoimmune diseases and chronic issues. The key is to deal with the eczema immediately.

Ds has an egg allergy and a medical exemption to vaxes.

If it got infected I would use colloidal silver on the site. That or calendula oil. i would absolutely not give a child with eczema anything to damage the gut further.

We healed ds's eczema (which admittedly wasn't that severe) with diet changes and gut healing.
#8 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

He was born this sensitive I eliminated dairy from my diet but he has been having a bit I got to cut that one out.

Quote:
FWIW I don't believe anyone "grows out of eczema."
I never did but because of that I don't use soaps detergents on him and thankfully the cloth diapering has meant he's never had bum rashes thank god.

Quote:
I think that the reaction goes deeper. You are lucky if the manifestation is on the skin as opposed to deeper in the organs...
maybe I don't understand what excema is can you get it on organs? please elaborate that one I am dying to know...

Quote:
We healed ds's eczema (which admittedly wasn't that severe) with diet changes and gut healing.
what would you suggest elimating that I might not have thought about?

I do take off his socks at night but if I have them uncovered during the day he just 'itches' sad my 16 month old knows how to say itch, itchy, scratch...
and he does rub his feet on the sheets at night. so even socks wouldn't do much to stop him from rubbing them raw...

I don't use soap, or shampoo on him, I don't use any cream other than the steroids perscribed or polysporin and only when its bad (I was having great sucess with hemp cream when it was only mildly irritated )

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#9 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Exactly. Yet if a child with severe eczema gets cp or measles naturally, it often times clears up the eczema.
where can i find more info out on this?
#10 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

I got the measles at 19....still have excema

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#11 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 AM

Eczema doesn't get on the organs. Eczema is a manifestation of a deeper problem, which if left untreated will go deeper-meaning that it can potentially stop being eczema-or continue being eczema and also become any number of different things...like rhematoid arthritis. It is a gut issue, and I wouldn't think about eliminating more foods, I would think about healing the gut. This can be done in MANY ways. Homeopathy, diet, supplements-it's a matter of what you are willing to do. We used all of these and healed many issues beyond the eczema. The gut is the root of everything. It is a "second brain" so to speak as all the neurotansmitters needed for brain function are manufactured in the gut. Immunity begins in the gut. It sounds as though you may have inadvertantly passed your issues on to your dc, I did the same. We used the specific carbohydrate diet with great success along with supplements and homeopathy. The kids rashes and food allergies are gone with the exception of gluten and casein-but we have celiac disease. It's a different story. But to give you a picture, they had over 35 allergies between the two of them that caused awful rashes and plenty of other nastiness that were confirmed by blood tests. They no longer have them (with the two exceptions.)
#12 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 AM

A great natural remedy for you to take and pass through your breastmilk would be Urtica (stinging nettles) You can do the tincture or get the herb and make an infusion...that may help as you're figuring things out. I started giving it to dd as an infusion at about 22 months. She drinks it happily most of the time. I wish I had though to do it sooner. Good Luck!
#13 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The gut is the root of everything. It is a "second brain" so to speak as all the neurotansmitters needed for brain function are manufactured in the gut. Immunity begins in the gut. It sounds as though you may have inadvertantly passed your issues on to your dc, I did the same.
I feel so silly, I have colitis and allergies, athsma etc and I havent' been feeding him the type of diet i follow myself....duh...

I got to have him tested no delay.
I think he's up......

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#14 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:39 AM

Shiloh-those conditions can all be cured with proper nutrition! Have you checked out the healing the gut tribe? It may really help you. There's also a cheat sheet now (thanks, Jane!) THere are two takes on this-but they are similar. One is Joel Fuhrman's-he talks about healing colitis, crohn's disease, IBS, asthma, allergies etc with a vegan diet. Nourishing Traditions also talks about doing it with an omni diet. The only real difference between the two is whether or not you eat meat. Oh, and Fuhrman's diet is lowfat, which I don't agree with-but most everything else is good info. He has another one out called "Disease Proof Your Child" which specifically addresses asthma, eczema and allergies from a nutritional perspective. It's a good read-he's an MD and has very good resources and references. He's definitely in my top ten favorites and the beginning of my gut healing journey. I kind of blended three different diets that were very similar to heal my family. It's worked very well for us!
#15 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
where can i find more info out on this?
Quote:
"After contracting measles and other childhood illnesses (e.g.. chickenpox, scarlet fever, whooping cough, rubella, mumps and may be others), it has been widely accepted by many health practitioners, including experienced orthodox paediatricians that this is often beneficial for the general health of many children.

Specifically it has been shown that children contracting measles naturally were less likely to suffer from allergic conditions such as asthma, eczema and hay fever, (Lancer June 29 1996)."---Trevor Gunn BSc
The rest on the link is about the benefits of measles but not in conjunction with eczema, so I didn't post the link
#16 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Here is a good link I just found. Maybe there is something in there that is helpful.
#17 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Shiloh-those conditions can all be cured with proper nutrition!
Yes I've done a great job on myself and my colitis is so under control I haven't had emergency diareah in so long its heaven!!! The problem is stupid me I've been the only one following that I have to get the whole family back on board.....dh is a bad eater (sugar, flour, sugar, coffee, sugar)

Quote:
One is Joel Fuhrman's-he talks about healing colitis, crohn's disease, IBS, asthma, allergies etc with a vegan diet.
You will never get rid of colitis/crohns if you still eat dairy/beef due to the bacteria that causes the disease in that. So many things can be cured with vegetarianism from cholesterol etc. I myself have to go back to hardcore veg due to my kidney issues (spongy kidney)

Quote:
Fuhrman's diet is lowfat, which I don't agree with
I don't agree with low fat either, we all need healthy oils but some people you allow them fat in a diet and its not in healthy oils but french fries and donuts (see dh there)

Well my new project! Getting the family back on the nutrition track, ds is easy he's a natural veg... but dh will be tricky.

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#18 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!

So the doctor today said he'd never perscribe antiboitics to a child without something severe like pnemonia as they are so dangerous for a growing body and can cause serious damage to bones......

He said keep up what I am doing, try oatmeal, sun, no socks to let him breathe if he's not scratching and go see a derm.
WOW
times they are a changing!!

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#19 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 04:43 PM

I have horrible eczema, and I scratch even through clothes (and, yes, I've figured out a way to scratch my feet with shoes on!!).

Thank you so much to everyone for the resources, mine has gotten so bad that now I'm having a horrible flair up and my cream isn't helping. Derm. told me there's nothing else he can do...I need to get my diet under control, I guess. It's sad for me to think that 24 years of suffering with this (I remember at age 3 asking my mom if I could get new skin ) and could be cleared up through diet!
#20 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I put on that second plastic skin today praying it doesn't work (its like $4 a day then!) but the doc suggested sun therapy anyone tried that as an adult?

Anyone here have excema and KP?

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#21 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 06:12 PM

#22 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 PM

ds did...no fun.
#23 of 26 Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 PM

Good link. The important thing to understand is that it isn't about food allergies or vaccines...it's about a compromised immune system that can be taken care of with healing of the gut. As JaneS posted...many things can damage teh mucosal lining-it's about reinstating that balance.
#24 of 26 Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM

There is a thread in the vaccine forum discussing eczema and I thought it might have some things in it that are valuable:

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...71#post4999871
#25 of 26 Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 PM

KP as in keratosis pilaris? There is research that it's a vitamin A deficiency... as a lack of vitamin A causes all the epithelial cells in the body to hold on to keratin and creates deposits called keritinization (including the intestinal mucosal lining, which are also epithelial cells). Increasing susceptiblity of skin infections too.

Have you seen The Eczema Tribe thread? Fats in your diet might need help. Vegetable fats with high amounts of omega 6 block the beneficial omega 3s.

I got rid of severe IBS using dairy (raw, grass fed) and beef (grass fed)... can you tell me more about the bacterial Crohn's theory? I am reading Jordan Rubin's "Patient Heal Thyself" and he mentions it with respect to cow dairy but haven't seen any more than just a simple reference so if you have more info that would be great.

I'm not sure I would subscribe to a theory that states only one bacteria is responsible, when it seems like entire gut flora imbalance is so common these days among many people. (and the lowered food quality). Because "the microbe is nothing, the terrain is everything" or however that quote goes.
#26 of 26 Old 04-25-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
KP as in keratosis pilaris? There is research that it's a vitamin A deficiency...
I'd buy that partially, I get really bad when I've lost a lot of weight quickly...or after pregnancy lol same thing n'est pas?
I do take oil supplements and it seems to help.

Quote:
I got rid of severe IBS using dairy (raw, grass fed) and beef (grass fed)... can you tell me more about the bacterial Crohn's theory? I am reading Jordan Rubin's "Patient Heal Thyself" and he mentions it with respect to cow dairy but haven't seen any more than just a simple reference so if you have more info that would be great.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ctvnews805888/

Quote:
Crohn's is caused by M.A.P., short for myco bacterium paratuberculosis, which is also called Johne's disease.According to Taylor, the disease is being transferred through milk from infected cows to humans.
Quote:
I'm not sure I would subscribe to a theory that states only one bacteria is responsible, when it seems like entire gut flora imbalance is so common these days among many people. (and the lowered food quality). Because "the microbe is nothing, the terrain is everything" or however that quote goes.
For IBS etc I'd buy that but the dairy industry has known about the colitis/crohn's and johne's link for a long long time and are very concerned....
http://www.crohnscanada.org/

Quote:
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, from 20 percent to 40 percent of U.S. dairy farms have sick cows. These cows aren't mildly ill, they're infected with Mycobacteria paratuberculosis, which produces massive diarrhea and incredible weight loss. But on factory farms, sick cows still provide commercial milk. Milk from sick cows is pooled with milk from healthy cows. The result: contaminated milk and, apparently, a whole lot of sick people.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=40722

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page