ovarian cysts - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone has any insights, suggestions, experience...

I have had painful ovarian cysts in my last 2 pregnancies (thought to be simple, fluid-filled sacs). Some of them ruptured during my 2nd pregnancy, some ruptured during that birth (yes, ouch). U/s ~6 wks pp that time showed smaller/fewer cysts than during that pg, and pp, things were pretty uneventful (ie, no pain). I had somewhat smaller/fewer cysts this last time around, but still painful. No rupturing during the pg or birth. And now... I've had pain (from what I *know* are the cysts) pretty much since a month or so pp. I didn't mention it at my 6 wk pp visit, in part because it was pretty minor at that point, and in part because I figured it would just fade away (it hasn't; it's intensified). I'm a little surprised/annoyed that they are "active" now; they haven't been like this outside of pg before. (Also, I had what seemed to be my first pp AF at ~6 1/2 wks pp--much, much sooner than after my 1st 2 kids--and I think my *other* ovary may have ovulated a week or so ago.)

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. If I see my ob, I think we'll probably just do another u/s (I've had many over the past few years, last one at ~35 wks in the last pg), and we'll be saying, "Yes, there they are." We'll count them, measure their diameter, maybe discuss (yet again) the possibility of surgery if she thinks they're too big or if I think they're too painful.

Anyone?

X-posted in birth and beyond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM

I have had problems with recurrent ovarian cysts as well, though for me pregnancy cures them (they only come for me when I'm cycling and my body does an incomplete ovulation and makes a cyst instead). I had one burst and it almost killed me since it burst in a very unusual way and I was bleeding internally until I had emergency surgery. Luckily my ovary was saved. For me, western medical doctors recommend I go on the pill to "cure" me of the cysts. That's not something I'm interested in. Instead, I started doing acupuncture. My acupuncturist also recommended that I use castor oil packs (basically you soak a few layers of flannel with castor oil, put the flannel on your belly over your ovaries, put a piece of plastic (i.e. a plastic bag) over the flannel, and then put a HOT water bottle over the plastic. I was supposed to do this for an hour a day. I was also going to acupuncture every couple of weeks. After a month, my cysts were gone! Apparently the castor oil packs are very effective for ovarian cysts. It may be a non-invasive solution for you as well.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 12) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 5 Old 07-23-2006, 12:46 PM

I have had multiple hormonal issues though haven't dealt with cysts myself. In researching my own health problems, I read that bio-identical progesterone can be helpful for many women with fibrocystic problems including PCOS. It might be worth doing some reading. For myself, acupuncture did more for my hormonal imbalances than anything else I tried (which was A LOT of alternative and conventional med). I believe that traditional acupuncture is very powerful treatment for hormonal problems.

#4 of 5 Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't very clear... this isn't PCOS. (Though I suppose the cysts respond to hormones, because they've developed/been worse during pregnancy previous to this point.)

I'm intrigued about the castor oil packs... I read about them in a women's herbal book of mine (specifically about the cysts). It also recommended a diet low in estrogenic things, which is basically my usual diet. Also an herbal treatment, which I want to check over carefully to make sure it's safe for breastfeeding.

I think the fact that I'm not that confident that my acupuncturist could treat this indicates that maybe it's time to look for a new one.

If either of you had any specific recs about stuff to read, I'd really appreciate it... the allopathic way doesn't seem to be helping me. Also wondering how you knew your cysts were gone--was it cessation of pain? I can always tell what's going on with mine by the level of pain.
#5 of 5 Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama
Also wondering how you knew your cysts were gone--was it cessation of pain? I can always tell what's going on with mine by the level of pain.
I suspected mine were gone due to not feeling them anymore, but I had an ultrasound to confirm it (we were ttc, and didn't want to try that cycle unless I was sure the cysts were gone (we use donor sperm and it's an expensive process, and I felt like I wouldn't get pregnant until the cysts were gone--because they do mess with hormones)). So, I had an ultrasound that showed the cysts (I was worried I might be having pain from an ectopic pregnancy since we had been trying to get pregnant), and then I did the castor oil/acupuncture, and had another ultrasound to show that I was cyst-free. The doctors were SHOCKED. My acupuncturist wasn't surprised at all. I got pregnant two weeks later.

I don't have any reading to recommend, but can't say enough good stuff about the castor oil packs!

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 12) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page