Lactose intollerance question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, my dd is lactose intollerant. She much prefers the taste of dairy milk to soy milk, even after giving the soy a good year's trial. Neither of us care for the taste of the lactose free milks we've tried, and we only have one choice for organic lactose free around here. : My question is this -- since the ingredient list on lactose free dairy milk indicates that it's simply regular milk with lactase enzyme added, would it be safe for dd to just drink regular dairy milk and take a lactase enzyme pill (such as Lactaid) with it? She doesn't drink *tons* of milk -- we're talking milk on her breakfast cereal most days and maybe 3 or 4 additional servings in a given week in the form of fruit smoothies. So less than one cup a day on average.

Before someone spends time suggesting it, I know she doesn't *have* to drink any milk at all, but we are not a vegan family and she wants to drink milk, so I'm really just looking for advise on the health implications of soy milk vs. l-f milk vs. regular cow's milk plus Lactaid for a lactose intolerant individual. Thanks!

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-23-2006, 01:35 PM

Are you able to find raw milk in your area? Since it's not heated (pastuerized) it still contains the naturally occuring lactase, which means most all lactose intolerant people can drink it just fine. What about goat's milk? (Would she still have the issues with goat's milk? I know it's easier for people to digest and seems to be a good alternative to those who can't drink cow's milk, but can't remember the specifics.) Personally I'd stay away from the soy milk ... too much controversy imo. We can get raw milk (Organic Pastures) at our local health food store, and that's all we drink/use. If you are interested and aren't sure where to look, Real Milk is a good place to start for finding any sources. HTH

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 6 Old 07-23-2006, 01:48 PM

Yes she can. My ds is also lactose intolerant. He rarely drinks milk but when he does I give him an enzyme chewable.

#4 of 6 Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Are you able to find raw milk in your area? Since it's not heated (pastuerized) it still contains the naturally occuring lactase, which means most all lactose intolerant people can drink it just fine. What about goat's milk? (Would she still have the issues with goat's milk? I know it's easier for people to digest and seems to be a good alternative to those who can't drink cow's milk, but can't remember the specifics.) Personally I'd stay away from the soy milk ... too much controversy imo. We can get raw milk (Organic Pastures) at our local health food store, and that's all we drink/use. If you are interested and aren't sure where to look, Real Milk is a good place to start for finding any sources. HTH
Thanks for the info. We've tried goats milk, but didn't care for the taste (or the cost! ) I might look into the raw cows milk -- I was thinking of trying that for other reasons, but I didn't know it was better for lactose intollerant people. That's good news!

Here in Michigan you can't just go buy raw milk. People are allowed to drink raw milk from their own cows, but they can't sell it to others. So folks who want raw milk must buy a "share" of a cow (which you can sell back later if you wish) and pay a monthy maintainance fee to the farmer. You then go to the farm and pick up "your" milk on a weekly basis. Generally groups of people go together to buy a share. Phew -- it's quite a process! First I need to get my hands on some raw milk and see if we like it. (I have some friends who get it, so this shouldn't be too hard.) I also need to find out how much the monthly fee is to see if we can afford it. Then, if we decide to go for it, I need to find a share group to join.

I'm still researching it. I'm wary about giving up on pasturization since all those kids died 10 or 15 years ago from drinking unpasturized juice. I know it's probably a different issue, but I need to be very sure it's safe before I go for it, kwim?

Stephanie
#5 of 6 Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishy
Yes she can. My ds is also lactose intolerant. He rarely drinks milk but when he does I give him an enzyme chewable.
Thanks. I think this is what we will do until we decide on the raw milk issue.

Stephanie
#6 of 6 Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 AM

have you tried the vanilla soy milks or rice milks? i didn't like soy at first either (though i always hated cow's milk) but vanilla soy/rice milk on cereal is yummy

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page