The Thyroid Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#271 of 1016 Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
How was this transition for you? Was it fairly easy or was there a lot of tweaking of levels?

I'm pregnant and nursing and am seeing a new doc to look into Armour. I just don't feel like the levothyroxine is getting me to "normal" and want to try Armour. Well I got this appointment a couple months ago before the pregnancy but I don't want to cancel it. Is it possible/safe/realistic to make this transition at this time? Thanks for any feedback anyone has!!
Transition was easy. I had been on the 88 Syntroid for years and all through my pregnancy. Izzy was born 6/29/06 and at my 6 week appointment my levels were low (TSH .3) so dr lowered me to 50 of synthroid. I think they didnt need to adjust my rate and thats part of why I felt like crap (level went up to above 1.0 but still in the normal range). I am taking 1 grain of it and my level are(for TSH) are about .9 now (and have been since december). They have not tweaked it at all.

I personally did not notice any side effects (except for the pill have a smell an my dog ate 80 of them one night so I have to keep them locked up now).

I can not help with the pregnant/breastfeeding things b/c I was not doing either at the time of the switch.

Good Luck. It made a huge difference for me so now I recommend it to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 1016 Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 PM

IODINE

I've been on a little iodine research project lately. And I'm blown away yet again by how much a crucial mineral is devalued by conventional wisdom.

The physiologic dose of iodine is now thought to be a minimum of 12.5 mg.

That's in milligrams people. The RDA is 150-290 MICROgrams.

12.5 mg closely resembles the average intake of Japanese of 13.8 mg, a society with much less thyroid disorders and certain cancers as described below.

Iodized salt is not a good source. Real sea salt is good but not sufficient. Kelp is the seaweed highest in iodine and for example, you would need approx. 1 teaspoon a day of www.seaveg.com kelp to get 12.5 mg.

Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can be caused by or greatly influenced by iodine deficiency. Iodine should be considered as a first step of any thyroid treatment plan.

If you are deficient in iodine, doses upwards of 50mg/day for several months are suggested. Testing can be done with loading dose and 24 hr urine collection. When most of the iodine is excreted (over 90%), this signifies that the body has sufficiently stored enough and then you can drop down depending on symptoms and history.

The thyroid and the breasts store the most iodine but there are also receptors in stomach (influencing stomach acidity), salivary glands, gastrointestinal tract, prostate, bones, connective tissues, etc. Women with larger breast need more. There is strong correlation with iodine deficiency and breast, ovarian, prostate and other cancers.

The thyroid has "first pick" of dietary iodine, so the other body tissues can be the first to suffer in times of deficiency.

And like most nutrients, I'm discovering on this WAPF journey, it's likely that all of us are deficient, the severity only in part depending on our past eating habits. It's very hard to get what our body really needs without specifically planning for it, and you may need a whole lot more than optimal levels to "restock your body" if you are deficient.

I got Dr. Brownstein's book on iodine, but most of his info is on web. Brownstein, Abraham and Flechas are at the forefront of orthoiodosupplementation, the term for physiological doses of iodine.

http://iodine4health.com/ortho/ortho.htm
http://www.drbrownstein.com/
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml
http://www.helpmythyroid.com/

Guy Abraham developed Iodoral, a tablet form of traditional Lugol's solution.

**If you know anyone with breast cancer or has a strong possibility of developing it based on family history, Brownstein's iodine book is a must read. **

The other issues with high iodine supplementation is that if you have a selenium deficiency, that can aggravate the problem. One seems to need the other when it is increased.

Also iodine detoxs the toxic halogens (bromine, chlorine, fluoride, perchlorate, etc.) and also lead and mercury. Detox symptoms can appear with high iodine supplemenation. Vitamin C is one essential nutrient for neutralizing this, and C also enables the body's iodine receptors.
#273 of 1016 Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM

I can't go into more diet and nutritional support of thyroid beyond iodine right now but I have also done a lot of research on that lately too. Remind me if I don't come back.

#274 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM

great links jane!

plus you reminded me to do a patch test.

my signature is usually illegible
#275 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jane, I've read that iodine is one of the few minerals that goes through into breastmilk at high rates if mom consumes high amounts. Since it can detox mercury (and yeah, I wish I'd known that 8 months ago when I was taking high amounts to help with my thyroid problem), do you know if the mercury goes through with the iodine? What I mean is, do they get chemically attached, or was more mercury just floating around my body in general?

OT-Thanks for the advice in the other thread in Dental, I got back to you but it took a while--I've been more offline than not lately.
#276 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM

iodine and Hashimoto's thyroiditis

Quote:
Hashimoto's and Extra Iodine

"I remain puzzled as to why I have Hashimoto's disease and wonder if it is at all possible that my long-term use of Betadine Shampoo (iodine shampoo) might have been a factor…I wonder if I should stop using the shampoo?" -- JB, Albany, NY

Iodine can have profound effects upon the thyroid. Small amounts of iodine such as that found in iodized salt are not problematic, but high exposures from Betadine shampoo, Betadine douches, Betadine or other iodine-containing antiseptics applied to the skin, kelp tablets, seaweeds, and some iodine-containing medications may all be problematic. The effects that high levels of iodine have on the thyroid and thyroid function depend upon the underlying thyroid problem.

In areas of the world where there is still iodine deficiency, iodine will reduce goiter and correct hypothyroidism. There is no iodine deficiency in the United States.

Untreated Hashimoto's disease is made worse by high doses of iodine. Goiters may enlarge and hypothyroidism may become more pronounced. However, once levothyroxine is started, there is little adverse effect from the addition of iodine.

Iodine may cause hyperthyroidism especially with patients with an underlying nodular goiter.

Interestingly, the addition of iodine to the food supply to prevent iodine deficiency goiter may well have increased the prevalence of Hashimoto's disease in the United States. Western Europe, which in general has not added iodine to the food supply, has a lower prevalence of Hashimoto's disease, but a higher prevalence of nodular goiter and follicular thyroid cancer.
http://www.tsh.org/askthedoctor/extraiodine.html

Quote:
5 Lies About Your Thyroid You're Likely to Hear
4. If You Have a Thyroid Problem, Take Iodine or Kelp

Nnatural health practitioners who don't truly understand thyroid function are often quick to tell you that "thyroid problems mean you need iodine" or iodine-containing herbs or supplements, such as kelp, bladderwrack and bugleweed.

If you are truly iodine deficient, iodine may be able to help your thyroid. One study done in 1998 found that over the past twenty years, the percentage of Americans with low intake of iodine has more than quadrupled. Currently about 12 percent of the U.S. population is iodine deficient, up from less than 3 percent in the early 1970s. So, for some people, iodine deficiency may be a factor in their thyroid problem.

But for some people, iodine or iodine-containing products make worsen autoimmune thyroid problems, both Hashimoto's and Graves' disease, and cause enlargement of the thyroid (goiter). Before you start iodine, consider having urinary iodine measured to see if you have an actual deficiency, and pay close attention to any symptoms that develop after you start to take iodine.
http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidb...01/a/5lies.htm

I am confused.
#277 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
it's my understanding that iodine is also present in vegetables (and maybe fruits, nuts) grown in soil that is not deficient in iodine. i think in the midwest the soil does not have much naturally occuring iodine, but near the coasts iodine is usually present. this is all going on memory, though, and i haven't researched it recently. i did do some research on selenium not too long ago. if you eat locally you can google your state name +"soil" +"iodine" or +"selenium" and probably get an idea about whether veggies grown in your area have some of these nutrients.

i'm hesitant about adding extra iodine into my diet since i do live in a coastal state, do eat locally, do eat seafood, and enjoy nori, too. i also do use iodized salt or sea salt sometimes.

ETA: here's an interesting/curiosity link -- http://www.wistv.com/global/story.as...Type=Printable

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#278 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM

Has anyone tried the Natural Sources Raw Thyroid, All Adrenal, or Raw Pituitary? I was on all three for a couple weeks, saw a huge difference but then stopped. Now my nutritionist is saying that I just need to be on liver support (no gall bladder) and that will take care of everything. I'm also taking a B Complex and Cod Liver Oil.

Link: http://www.evitamins.com/product_grid.asp?brandid=Natural+Sources

I know that I have a major thyroid issue but cannot afford all of the testing (no insurance right now). My list of symptoms goes on and on and on.

TIA - this thread has been SO VERY HELPFUL!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#279 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 PM

I have subclinical Hashimotos- high antibodies but normal TSH, free Ts. The web info. is very contradictory and I want to make sure I'm getting good care. My symptoms also seem both hypo and hyper in spite of good thyroid function tests. Is this possible? I would assume one of the blood tests would have picked up a swing.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#280 of 1016 Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Sometimes you can have thyroid problems but not show up in tests. You need a doctor that will treat you by your symptoms. Here is a very helpful site:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/supplements
#281 of 1016 Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jane, I've read that iodine is one of the few minerals that goes through into breastmilk at high rates if mom consumes high amounts. Since it can detox mercury (and yeah, I wish I'd known that 8 months ago when I was taking high amounts to help with my thyroid problem), do you know if the mercury goes through with the iodine? What I mean is, do they get chemically attached, or was more mercury just floating around my body in general?

OT-Thanks for the advice in the other thread in Dental, I got back to you but it took a while--I've been more offline than not lately.
I haven't looked into the Hg stuff yet, sorry! I don't know if Abrahams research addresses it: http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml
#282 of 1016 Old 06-09-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
I recommend you read my links. I have the benefit of being introduced to this by my holistic dietican who has Hashimoto's so my initial reticence was overcome in that way. The researchers in The Iodine Project are finding that over 90% people are being tested as deficient with the urine/Iodoral loading test. I don't know what the test is that is being referred to in the About.com thyroid info. With the urine test, the body will spill out what it doesn't need. If you are not spilling it out, you need it as there are receptors all over the body, not just the thyroid.

One thing that can happen with Hashimoto's and high iodine as I understand it is also having a selenium deficiency which is not addressed.

I have a big problem with Mary Shomon of About.com and her view of high iodine supplementation based only on her personal experience with it. She didn't seem to research it beyond that and seems unaware of the fact that she could have either been detoxing bromides and/or heavy metals or been selenium deficient and that is why she felt badly on it.
#283 of 1016 Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM

~diagnosed with postpartum thyroiditis *after* it got 'better'

i'm still feeling hypo but getting someone to listen to me is like ramming my head thru a wall.

anyway, I wanted to know if there are any vegetarian and/or kosher/halal (ie. bovine or sheep maybe, NOT porcine) sources of t3 and t4

my tsh was in the "normal" range last I saw the endo (who was very condescending and laughing at silly old me who was reading up on the net) but my free t3's and free t4's are at the very bottom of the ranges..

we have a strong family history..mom, grandma, all 7 aunts, several cousins

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#284 of 1016 Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
~diagnosed with postpartum thyroiditis *after* it got 'better'

i'm still feeling hypo but getting someone to listen to me is like ramming my head thru a wall.

anyway, I wanted to know if there are any vegetarian and/or kosher/halal (ie. bovine or sheep maybe, NOT porcine) sources of t3 and t4

my tsh was in the "normal" range last I saw the endo (who was very condescending and laughing at silly old me who was reading up on the net) but my free t3's and free t4's are at the very bottom of the ranges..

we have a strong family history..mom, grandma, all 7 aunts, several cousins
The Natural Source glandular supplements that I posted about a few posts back are made from bovine. I was wondering if anyone else has had success taking them. My nutritionist (also a family friend) can sometimes flake on me and doesn't want me to stay on them long-term b/c he would rather have me on liver support - which he says will take care of the thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary glands.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#285 of 1016 Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 PM

NUTRITION AND HYPOTHYROIDISM

Selenium
Together with Iodine, the most important mineral for thyroid function. Best food source is Brazil nuts which are quite high.

Quote:
Selenium activates an enzyme - hepatic type I iodothyronine deiodinase - that is responsible for controlling thyroid function by the conversion of T4 to T3. This enzyme... is sensitive to selenium deficiency.

Some researchers and practitioners are beginning to believe that selenium deficiency alone can trigger autoimmune thyroid disease.

Keep intake 200-400mcg/day.

(from Mary Shomon's book)
Wonder how many Hypos are actually just selenium deficient?

Or hypos on medication that do not see a relief in symptoms are simply selenium (and iodine) deficient?

Iodine
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=272

Vitamin A

A deficiency in vit. A can inhibit thyroid hormone production.
http://www.ithyroid.com/vitamin_a.htm

High vitamin cod liver oil is best source. www.westonaprice.org

Personally I would take a larger dosage than 10,000 IU (1 tsp/day) unless on a traditional diet that supplies a lot of other sources of A. Traditional diets contained an average of 50,000 IU of A/day. As with any nutrient, I'm finding if you are deficient, you need much more than even optimal amounts to restock your body stores.

B Vitamins

Many Bs are critical for thyroid function including B2, Niacin, B6 (which helps convert iodine to thyroid hormone) and B12. They are also highly correlated with mood and very much depleted in stressful times.

Food sources are best. I take both desiccated liver www.drrons.com and brewer's yeast http://www.lewis-labs.com/products/brewersyeast.htm

Vitamin D

Quote:
...necessary in order for the pituitary gland to produce thyroid hormone and may play a role in T3 binding to its receptor. Vitamin D is part of the necessary supporting apparatus that enables the deiodinase enzyme to convert T4 into T3. (from Mary Shomon's book "Living Well with Hypothryoidism"
Many many people are vitamin D deficient. Mercola, Krispin Sullivan and the Weston Price foundation have good information on this. Studies show that during winter people need 10x the RDA of D to keep their blood levels up! (And most fascinating to me is that this was likely the amount that traditional diets contained also.)

The best thing to do is test your blood levels and get a 25 (OH) D test. You should be in high normal range. If you do supplement vitamin D, get a natural form made from cod liver oil, this is very important. The D2 vegan form is toxic. I've used Carlson's natural D pills before but high vitamin cod liver oil will give you both best source of A and D. Radiant Life or Blue Ice.

Zinc

Another essential mineral and involved in T3 conversion. Essential depression fighting nutrient as well (see Amanda Rose's website).

Magnesium

After reading about how critical it is, and how depleted our soils are (and thus our food) I think everyone needs to supplement magnesium. Low mag. also reduces T4. Best food sources are nuts and seeds and homemade bone broths.

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/magnesium.htm

Tyrosine
The thyroid hormones T3 and T4 refers to the amino acid tyrosine bound with 3 molecules of iodine or 4 molecules of iodine... it's critical. One can be deficient in amino acids for many reasons: not eating enough protein. Or interestingly enough, a high simple carb diet: if you are raising your blood sugar several times throughout the day, beneficial amino acids get sweeped out of your bloodstream by insulin as well as the excess sugar.

More on that in The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, a protein defiency is the true reason for low seratonin in the brain ... not a lack of SSRI's! I also know that adaquate *digestion* of proteins into their individual building blocks, amino acids, with good amounts of stomach acid is essential for this to happen as well. Tums and other acid inhibitors cause a multitude of other problems.

The other key to all of this is the fact that low thyroid inihibits your digestive function as it inhibits many enzyme reactions throughout the body. If your digestion is not working well, you can't absorb your nutrients well either!

Enzyme inhibition also results in such wide ranging symptoms as constipation and dry hair/skin... the blocking of creating certain essential fatty acids because the enzymes to do so aren't working is one reason why evening primrose oil is recommended.
#286 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Sorry for the cross-post, I didn't see this thread til I made my own thread.

Hypothyroidism -- what were your symptoms?

I'm trying super hard not to self-diagnose myself incorrectly (or at all) but I am wondering if perhaps I have hypothyroidism. My living situation just changed and I eat a LOT less and much better food (organics and real meals, not college campus crap like I had been eating) plus I am on the go all day long AND I go to the gym. I've not lost any weight. (I've gained ~20 in the past year ) I also wake up 1-2 times a night and have crappy sleep from about 5am-7:30am.

What were your symptoms? I am going in for my annual pelvic next month but it's at Planned Parenthood; I'm trying to decide if I should find a GP near where I live now and go in about this.
#287 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 AM

I was just coming to bump this for ya.
#288 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Thanks!!!!
#289 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Is there a "best" time of day to get my thyroid tested? Are there normal ebbs during the day or around eating for instance. Last time I came back normal despite having just about all the symptoms for hypo and a family history of it.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#290 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 PM

My Dr recently told me I was borderline hypo.

It all started when I was driving down the road one day, I was in what I thought was perfect health....I started to feel like I was dying/having a heart attack etc... Went to the ER and they started doing a bunch of stuff to me put me on oxygen/EKG etc.. etc.. they did blood work, cat scan on my heart, also x rays on my heart.... those came back normal, the sent me home to follow up with my Dr....I realize now that HAD to be a panic attack (I suspected it at the time, but my Dr told me it wasnt....whatver!) So when I went to my follow up appt with ALL my test results from the ER in my hand including blood work, he looked it over said I am just fine and prescribed me a beta blocker (YES, no joke) Lexapro, and some more xanax....anyway I never ened up taking the Toprol (beta blocker) or Lexapro (well I broke down and tried it for a month and then quite. When I went to my follow appt and asked him to look farther into the underlying cause of my elevated heartrate (its always in the 100-130 range) and ALL the other symptoms, told him I didnt want to be on beta blockers...he basically flipped and said I need to go to a Phycologist and cardiologist.......anyway, I will NEVER walk back in his office again!

I found another Dr that I really like and he is somewhat holistic and is into homeopathy.....he ordered more blood work and my T3 result was low (if that is what you call it) so he told me to start taking enzymatic therapy(the thyroid formula) also my cholesterol is a little high. I had an ECHO done and I am guessing the results from that came back fine b/c they never called. And I am going for a PFT on the 28th b/c of my chest pain, which is even worse when I exercise...

these are my symptoms (not sure if these are all related to Hypothyroidism or not?

no energy
feel like I could sleep all day
low grade depression
high cholesterol
Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
Forgetfulness
Foggy thinking
unexplained weight gain
very heavy and painful periods
Nausea
Aching bones/muscles
Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
Complete lack of motivation
Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others
Major anxiety/worry
Ringing in ears
Blood Pressure problems
dizzy feeling alot of the day

I go back for my follow up appt the first of July, I also started taking Wellbutrin (my choice after spending hours reasearching and thinking) b/c of the depression/anxiety symptoms....I am hoping soon I wont have to take xanax or Wellbutrin at all.....the xanax I really only need when I am going to drive..

I am also on 3000mg per day fish oil
I *think* 1000mg magnesium
A mult. vitamin

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#291 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Hi!
I'm pretty sure I've been hypo for years, but since my daughter was born (she's 2.5) my body has gone haywire. I finally found someone online who showed me the correct tests to get done. They do show that I'm hypo (My TSH is highly sensitive), as well as my ferratin is <4 and I'm vitamin D deficient. My estrogen is also very low.
The first doctor I went to told me there was nothing wrong with me. Since she was an intern, she had to check with the "real" doctor before finishing our visit. She came back in the room and told me that I *was* hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) but she wasnt going to treat me. She had a real chip on her shoulder after she found out she was wrong.
She also refused to treat my vitamin deficiencies or estrogen. She said she "could", but she "wasnt going to".
So now I'm going to see a (hopefully) better specialist next month.

What I wanted to know was whether or not I should worry about what meds they may put me on (I'm assuming Armour or Synthroid) since I'm still nursing my daughter. Even though she's 2.5, she still nurses ALOT.
Will the thyroid meds affect her thyroid function or hormones?

I really cant wait to feel better. I'm so fatigued and tired all the time. Its even physical pain in my joints.

Thanks for any help!
#292 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone else had problems post-preg?

I've been low-level hypo for years. During pregnancy they tested my levels and upped me from 50mcg to 100mcg levothyroxine.

Now, I'm exhausted, I'm pulling giant clumps of hair out of the shower drain, and I've gained 2 stone. When I had my wisdom teeth out a few weeks ago, the nurse told me to go see my GP as my BP was 160/100 half an hour after the sedation woke up (I've not had a chance to go, stupid NHS appointment system means my GP has no routine appointments available for ages).

At first I thought high BP would mean my dose needed to be lowered and the other symptoms didn't fit--but I just looked it up again, and hypo can also cause raised BP. Is this likely to be it? And should I push for an endocrinology referral to see if anything else is wrong?

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#293 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM

I am cranky/crabby as ALL GET OUT and it's gotten much worse in the past year. (which, in hindsight, corresponds with my weight gain). I have such a low tolerance being pestered/annoyed. I hope it's something that's fixable and not just a part of my personality. I hate it. :
#294 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee View Post

these are my symptoms (not sure if these are all related to Hypothyroidism or not?

no energy
feel like I could sleep all day
low grade depression
high cholesterol
Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
Forgetfulness
Foggy thinking
unexplained weight gain
very heavy and painful periods
Nausea
Aching bones/muscles
Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
Complete lack of motivation
Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others
Major anxiety/worry
Ringing in ears
Blood Pressure problems
dizzy feeling alot of the day
Every single one of those symptoms are Hypo and/or adrenal fatigue

Nausea and complete exhaustion are symptoms of adrenal fatigue.

Do you have shaking too?

I bet you have trouble sleeping at night? Either can't fall asleep or wake up and can't go back to sleep?
#295 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I am cranky/crabby as ALL GET OUT and it's gotten much worse in the past year. (which, in hindsight, corresponds with my weight gain). I have such a low tolerance being pestered/annoyed. I hope it's something that's fixable and not just a part of my personality. I hate it. :
I had that really bad too. It went away when I finally got on the right dosage of Armour. I used to snap at my poor husband for everything. Now I'm actually calm. I can have 6 different things going on in the kitchen at once and I don't freak out!
#296 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
Every single one of those symptoms are Hypo and/or adrenal fatigue

Nausea and complete exhaustion are symptoms of adrenal fatigue.

Do you have shaking too?

I bet you have trouble sleeping at night? Either can't fall asleep or wake up and can't go back to sleep?

yep yep! the shaking has gotten better lately......

I CANNOT fall asleep at night unless I have some wine, no joke!

#297 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 PM

It definitely sounds like your adrenals are shot too. I think you need stronger thyroid support, probably Armour. Most people don't do all that well on over the counter treatments.

You also likely need adrenal support. Possibly licorice or maybe something stronger. Like I said before, I've been taking Hydrocortisone in low doses which replaces the cortisone that my body is not making. I haven't felt this good in YEARS! I actually have energy. I go to bed and fall asleep at night, I don't lay there for hours anymore. I actually want to go to bed at night. I used to stay up until 4 in the morning because I couldn't make myself go to bed.

Once you start thyroid meds you will likely not need the Wellbutrin anymore. My depression has finally gone away after years of depression ranging from low grade to suicidal.
#298 of 1016 Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritagesewing View Post
What I wanted to know was whether or not I should worry about what meds they may put me on (I'm assuming Armour or Synthroid) since I'm still nursing my daughter. Even though she's 2.5, she still nurses ALOT.
Will the thyroid meds affect her thyroid function or hormones?
I think you should push for Armour over Synthroid.
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...eds-dont-work/

Thyroid meds are perfectly safe while nursing. They are just replacing the hormones that your body should have already.
#299 of 1016 Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 AM

My ND has me on this:
http://www.metagenics.com/products/detail.asp?pid=136

And while i am loosing weight and am not as tired.. my muscles and bones still ache. I wonder if my ND can write scripts for Armour...

My mom had her thyroid eradicated about 15 years ago. Well for the last month she has been totally loopy. I even asked her if she had a change in medication when she went off on my 13 year old for (I wont say no reason) only a slight provocation. In short she majorly over reacted. She has also been going nutso on DH. DH told me to just let her yell at him because he can ignore her and it wasn't worth the war it caused when I told her she was being ridiculous.

So she calls me today and tells me she has figured out why she has been so tired lately. (this is the first I have heard of it.) Said she has been taking like three naps a day. When she get her medication refill she noticed her synthroid had been pushed to the back of the cupboard and she hadn't taken it in a month. : I said so THAT is why you have been so crabby lately.. I haven't been crabby I am just tired of other peoples sh!t. : Yea ok ... let's talk when your medication kicks back in.
#300 of 1016 Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
It definitely sounds like your adrenals are shot too. I think you need stronger thyroid support, probably Armour. Most people don't do all that well on over the counter treatments.

You also likely need adrenal support. Possibly licorice or maybe something stronger. Like I said before, I've been taking Hydrocortisone in low doses which replaces the cortisone that my body is not making. I haven't felt this good in YEARS! I actually have energy. I go to bed and fall asleep at night, I don't lay there for hours anymore. I actually want to go to bed at night. I used to stay up until 4 in the morning because I couldn't make myself go to bed.

Once you start thyroid meds you will likely not need the Wellbutrin anymore. My depression has finally gone away after years of depression ranging from low grade to suicidal.

Thanks, looking foward to my follow up appt., wonder if my Dr would prescribe something like to me? I guess it cant hurt to ask, I just want to feel NORMAL again

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page