The Thyroid Thread - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#331 of 1016 Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
streuselmama, hope your dad is doing well . my dad has been in and out of ICU in the past 5 yrs or so (for different things) and i know that helpless worried feeling. hope they get their results quickly and he recovers quickly. wish i knew more about thyroid cancer, but i'm not well informed on it. .

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 1016 Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any words of advice.

I have these symptoms of hypothyroidism:

severe fatigue, loss of energy
weight gain, difficulty losing weight
depression and depressed mood
joint and muscle pain, headaches
dry skin, brittle nails
brittle hair, itchy scalp
PMS symptoms
difficulty tolerating cold and lower body temperature
sleeping more than average
diminished sex drive
puffiness in face and extremities
allergies that suddenly appear or get worse
persistent cold sores, or breakouts
tingling sensation in wrists and hands that mimics carpal tunnel syndrome
memory loss, fuzzy thinking, difficulty following conversation or train of thought
slowness

But my results seemed to be normal:

TSH 1.892 uIU/mL 0.350-5.500
Thyroxine (T4) 5.3 ug/dl 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 32 % 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 1.7 1.2-4.9

Any thoughts on this?

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (14), Aidan (12), Brighton (9), and Oliver (6) and Ephraim (3) 

#333 of 1016 Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
And unfermented SOY is a major goitrogen. I think this is probably a significant factor for our generation of child bearing women. I'm sure it was in my case when I became mostly vegan for health reasons (and I could kick myself now). It's a crying shame that soy is marketed as health food and in most every processed food product.
: I'm so p.o'd about it, too! That (the soy) and birth control pills and poor diet all in my 20's and early 30's.

Now I eat a more "traditional foods" based diet and, luckily, I am in an area where locally grown produce (organic) and pastured animals are plentiful (and, yes I eat meat again--no soy for about 2 1/2 years, lots of raw cow's milk and yogurt and orange-colored yolk eggs...). But I guess I was too late in finding the truth.

Last night on "Living on Earth" on NPR they aired a segment on perchlorates in our soil and water and the effects of these on women's thyroids. http://http://www.loe.org/shows/segm...27&segmentID=1 It was an interesting and all too frustrating report. Perchlorates, they stated, are mainly from rocket fuel. Like we have any control over that

Jane, I think you are absolutely right-on about nutritional causes. When you think about it, in the whole span of human evolution, only in the last 70 or so years has our food system gone almost entirely industrial. Our bodies have had NO time (in the scheme of things) to evolve even remotely enough to handle the toxic load, deficiencies, and stress that this neo-food has placed on us (that WE...as a planet and people...have placed on our bodies).

All the more reason to plant a garden, buy some cows and chickens, and barter with our neighbors for the rest.

#334 of 1016 Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
IODINE

Also iodine detoxs the toxic halogens (bromine, chlorine, fluoride, perchlorate, etc.) and also lead and mercury. Detox symptoms can appear with high iodine supplemenation. Vitamin C is one essential nutrient for neutralizing this, and C also enables the body's iodine receptors.
So, what about the detoxing and pregnancy or breastfeeding? I'm just now realizing that I've had thyroid issues for forever that are now getting worse (since I got pregnant with my last). This sounds like the route I'd like to take--treat the cause rather than the symptom...any thoughts on this? Thanks, Nicole

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#335 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any words of advice.

I have these symptoms of hypothyroidism:

severe fatigue, loss of energy
weight gain, difficulty losing weight
depression and depressed mood
joint and muscle pain, headaches
dry skin, brittle nails
brittle hair, itchy scalp
PMS symptoms
difficulty tolerating cold and lower body temperature
sleeping more than average
diminished sex drive
puffiness in face and extremities
allergies that suddenly appear or get worse
persistent cold sores, or breakouts
tingling sensation in wrists and hands that mimics carpal tunnel syndrome
memory loss, fuzzy thinking, difficulty following conversation or train of thought
slowness

But my results seemed to be normal:

TSH 1.892 uIU/mL 0.350-5.500
Thyroxine (T4) 5.3 ug/dl 4.5-12.0
T3 Uptake 32 % 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 1.7 1.2-4.9

Any thoughts on this?
The tests that were done aren't very helpful. The TSH is in range but that doesn't mean anything if you have antibodies (which they didn't test for). Thyroxine & T3 uptake don't really mean anything. They measure the amount of T3 & T4 in your body but not the AVAILABLE amount. They can be bound by other homones like estrogen which stops them from actually being able to be used by the body.

Your free thyroxine T4 should be in the upper 1/2 of the range. So, your is very low.

The other tests you need are:
* Free T3 (not T3 uptake)
* Thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb. YOU NEED BOTH.)

This will give you a better picture.....
#336 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 AM

Just a quick one...I've been having pretty severe PPD symptoms, but in researching I realized it's more likely that I have thyroid issues (hypothyroid) like hives, irritability, hair falling out, gaining weight post-partum, brittle nails, sleepy ALL THE TIME no matter how much I actually sleep, can't sleep at night tired all day, can't stand cold or hot, NO libido, hands and feet fall asleep/itch, swelling/puffy eyes, depression/anxiety/panic attacks, and more!! yay! I have an appt tomorrow with my doctor.

My question is this:

After I get my blood drawn, etc how long does it take to get the results and begin doing something?? Some of my depression is pretty serious and I'd like to know how long to expect to wait for an answer (if it's not thyroid, I need to get on some meds quick!!!)

Thanks all!
#337 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
After I get my blood drawn, etc how long does it take to get the results and begin doing something?? Some of my depression is pretty serious and I'd like to know how long to expect to wait for an answer (if it's not thyroid, I need to get on some meds quick!!!)

Thanks all!
mama!

I got lab work back within a week and was started on the meds (Synthroid in my case) in the same time frame. I was pretty low, so they started me out on a very low dose to not shock my system, and then titrated it up once a month til I was in normal ranges. To get to a "normal" TSH level took me about 4 months - BUT - I noticed a difference in energy, mood, etc... after about a week of starting meds...

hope you get some answers soon!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#338 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into how I can get those tests done.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (14), Aidan (12), Brighton (9), and Oliver (6) and Ephraim (3) 

#339 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
mama!

I got lab work back within a week and was started on the meds (Synthroid in my case) in the same time frame. I was pretty low, so they started me out on a very low dose to not shock my system, and then titrated it up once a month til I was in normal ranges. To get to a "normal" TSH level took me about 4 months - BUT - I noticed a difference in energy, mood, etc... after about a week of starting meds...

hope you get some answers soon!

Thank you for your quick answer!! I'm just ready to stop being so miserable...I'm really having a hard time. Hopefully, this is the first step forward!! I hope it does only take a week and then I can start doing something about the way I feel!!!
#340 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 AM

Okay, I just did a check and they don't seem to offer a test for the thyroid antibodies you were talking about. I use www.directlabs.com Does anyone know where I can get this specific one ordered?

#341 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Just a quick one...I've been having pretty severe PPD symptoms, but in researching I realized it's more likely that I have thyroid issues (hypothyroid) like hives, irritability, hair falling out, gaining weight post-partum, brittle nails, sleepy ALL THE TIME no matter how much I actually sleep, can't sleep at night tired all day, can't stand cold or hot, NO libido, hands and feet fall asleep/itch, swelling/puffy eyes, depression/anxiety/panic attacks, and more!! yay! I have an appt tomorrow with my doctor.

My question is this:

Thanks all!
PPD and all your symptoms can be nutritional deficiencies as well. It takes a lot of nutrients to create another human being from your body stores. And of course I believe that nutritional deficiencies create thyroid disorders.

See Gale Force's website: www.rebuild-from-depression.com and read books The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and Depression Free Naturally by Joan Larson.

I would start some minerals pronto esp. magnesium which will help the anxiety and sleeping right away (1000 mg/day divided doses good versions are mag. glycinate, mag. taurinate or mag. chloride) and zinc. And a good source of B vitamins like Lewis Labs Brewers Yeast 2-3x day.
#342 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
So, what about the detoxing and pregnancy or breastfeeding? I'm just now realizing that I've had thyroid issues for forever that are now getting worse (since I got pregnant with my last). This sounds like the route I'd like to take--treat the cause rather than the symptom...any thoughts on this? Thanks, Nicole
I would give thought on this too if I were in your situation.

I haven't seen anything specifically on this but it seems to me that iodine supplied to your nursling will protect from toxins as well as *their* iodine receptors will be properly supplied with iodine instead of toxic halogens. It begs the question that if they are not sufficiently supplied with iodine they are just storing the toxins too (because if you are toxic, you are excreting them to some extent in your bm anyways, ie. studies on perchlorate in breastmilk.)

If you are iodine deficient you pass that on to your child from day 1, along with nutritional deficiencies that exacerbate the effect of any toxin, including mercury, lead, etc. It's much more than just "what toxin we are exposed to". A healthy well nourished body will excrete the toxins instead of storing them. And we need to remember it's all about balance, ie. selenium and other minerals are necessary as well.

It's really hard to know what is the right thing to do is when there is so little attention to paid to this in the mainstream.
#343 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Okay, I just did a check and they don't seem to offer a test for the thyroid antibodies you were talking about. I use www.directlabs.com Does anyone know where I can get this specific one ordered?
I ordered mine through Genova Diagnostics http://www.gdx.net. I called them and they told me which docs in my area had accounts with them. My GP was one of them so I asked him to order the test kit for me (comprehensive thyroid assessment) and they mailed it directly to me. I carried it to our local hospital lab to have my blood drawn and included a check in the return box that the hospital lab sent back to Genova (my insurance doesn't cover lab work).
#344 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I've been concerned about this as well, as my son (almost 2 and nursing) was recently tested for lead and has a high-end-of normal result. I've been taking iodine (and other supplements/foods) for a year. I wonder if this may have increased his level due to my detoxing into my blood stream...therefore breastmilk. Thankfully, he now loves to eat dried seaweed and the rest of his diet is very good. I'm hoping this will help him detox. My GP said there is something he can prescribe to pull the lead out, but I will do some research on this before I go in that direction.
#345 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM

I tried the Geneva Diagnostics but you have to have an order from a dr. Unfortunately I can't afford to see a dr right now and I know there are no doctors around here that will order a test without me being seen.

#346 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I tried the Geneva Diagnostics but you have to have an order from a dr. Unfortunately I can't afford to see a dr right now and I know there are no doctors around here that will order a test without me being seen.
I'm sorry. Do you have a doc you've worked with in the past (that would still have you on file)? If so, can you call their office and explain the situation and ask them to call in the order (I just did it all by phone with no appt). I even explained my financial situation (and that I'd have to pay for the kit, blood work...) and they were able to get a slightly discounted price for me.

There must be other labs you can order directly from. Seems like there have been some listed in this thread but I don't have time to go back through all the posts : .
#347 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM

I might could get someone to do it. I'll try! I'll also check this thread for other options.

Can you tell me how much your test cost? (we are very strapped at the moment)

#348 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Does anyone have any idea or information as to what would cause the lesions and nodes/enlarged nodes in the thyroid? I haven't been able to find any information about this aspect, specifically.
#349 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM

HI,

I just got a link to this thread (thanks moonlightinvt)

I've been diagnosed w/ Hash. for the past 4 yrs. I've complained for 6 yrs before that and was told I was depressed..

Long story short by the time a new doctor finally listened to me my antibody levels were 1175, (normal is 35). I've been on synthyroid ever since and have felt great.

Once my tsh was normal, I became pregnant w/ ds1, after 2 m/c and 18mths of infertility.

I've been on synthroid and I believe the max I was on w/ ds1 was 150. My dose was adjusted to 125mcg post-partum.. I've had complications during ds1's pregnancy. First I had a pericaridal effusion, which could've been "pregnancy" related or autoimmune related. The "effusion" (excess fluid around the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart) diminished once I was post-partum. I also had high blood pressure during ds1's preg. I was normally 112/68 and went as high as 140-90. Also the rise created his placenta to age prematurely...

Okay let's fast forward to my current pregnancy. I was once again diligent about my levels and was at about 125mcg until 25wks. Like clockwork once again my blood pressure started to rise. So far it hasn't been high enough to put me on bed rest again (thank god).

My levels started to creep up and since I just filled a rx for the 125, my jerk doctor told me to take 1 pill and 1/2. Which is the equivalent of 187mcg. I didn't question it as this was 1 day after I found out my sister looked to be dying, and I knew the stress would bring my tsh up..

Well living in the whirlwind of my sister's death, I forgot to tell my "high risk" doctor to lower my dose. My tsh was 1.3. Two days later (4th of July) I started having severe chest pains, and felt as if my heart would leap out of my chest. I thought it was a panic/anxiety attack that I've started having since my sister's death. And I thought maybe my body was processing it at this time.. My tsh was -.57.

Long story short, my hypo, has now turned into hyper. Since I'm in a clinic and they are only open on Monday's. I dont have any one to talk to about my dose, and frankly, they are idiots anyway. So, I thought the best was for me to stop taking my 187mcg dose until my next appt. So theoretically I'll be off of synthroid for 2 wks. Do you think this is a bad idea? Do you think my body will go back to being hypo, without the meds, as I figured it would?

Please let me know, as you mama's know much more than my ob's...
#350 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM

mighty-mama - I don't really have an answer for you (I didn't even know you could have negative TSH, so I don't know much about hyper) but wanted to send you hugs anyway.

Some of more experienced and well-read mamas here might have better answers, but my instinct would be that it would be better to ramp down more gradually from the high dosage than go off completely to not shock your body.... like half a pill or something until you can get your blood tested again to rule out a temporary fluctuation or something like that...

good luck! hope you can get some answers soon!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#351 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

So I need T3 Free and Antibodies.

Would that be the anti thyroglobulin ab (TAA)

Or the Thyroxine Binding Globulin (TBG) ?

Because I can't find the anti-TPO listed...is that the same thing as the TAA?

That is interesting that the antibodies can make you flucuate between the two (hyper/hypo) because I totally have that!! Sometimes it's more hypo (like right now) other times it's way more hyper and some days it's both! :

#352 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
PPD and all your symptoms can be nutritional deficiencies as well. It takes a lot of nutrients to create another human being from your body stores. And of course I believe that nutritional deficiencies create thyroid disorders.

See Gale Force's website: www.rebuild-from-depression.com and read books The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and Depression Free Naturally by Joan Larson.

I would start some minerals pronto esp. magnesium which will help the anxiety and sleeping right away (1000 mg/day divided doses good versions are mag. glycinate, mag. taurinate or mag. chloride) and zinc. And a good source of B vitamins like Lewis Labs Brewers Yeast 2-3x day.
I definately need to try this out...I'm seriously stressed about the possibility of having to be medicated so if I can "fix it" with this, I'd rather do that!!
#353 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM

Okay I am such a nerd. Can someone please help me find these tests on this website?? I emailed someone from the site and she told me they had those specific tests and how much they were, but I'm not seeing them : Foggy-brained perhaps??

I need these tests:

Free T3 (not T3 uptake)
Thyroid Antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb. YOU NEED BOTH.)

AND I also need

Estrogen
Progesterone

http://www.directlabs.com/testtypes.php#adrenal

Thank you!!!

#354 of 1016 Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 PM

Attn Jane, et all~~
Quote:
I would give thought on this too if I were in your situation.

I haven't seen anything specifically on this but it seems to me that iodine supplied to your nursling will protect from toxins as well as *their* iodine receptors will be properly supplied with iodine instead of toxic halogens. It begs the question that if they are not sufficiently supplied with iodine they are just storing the toxins too (because if you are toxic, you are excreting them to some extent in your bm anyways, ie. studies on perchlorate in breastmilk.)

If you are iodine deficient you pass that on to your child from day 1, along with nutritional deficiencies that exacerbate the effect of any toxin, including mercury, lead, etc. It's much more than just "what toxin we are exposed to". A healthy well nourished body will excrete the toxins instead of storing them. And we need to remember it's all about balance, ie. selenium and other minerals are necessary as well.

It's really hard to know what is the right thing to do is when there is so little attention to paid to this in the mainstream.
SO, by taking iodine, hopefully, I am passing some of that on as well? Understanding that it is a whole food form?
I am very aware that you can pass on defieciencies. My family passes on an ezyme deficiency for cow's milk...sigh. So here's my "history"
I've always had an itchy, flaky scalp
as a teen, I struggled with depression and weight gain
When my hormones fluctuate wildly, my eyes are affected: dizziness and nausea and headaches from reading, bending over and straightening up, and changes in lighting.
Irritability
and new to the list since I got pregnant last August:
Anxiety
Inability to cope with stress
feeling like everyone is against me, blowing up at the slightest things
weepy
Some days, I'm fine and have no symptoms...others, everything hits me while yet others are in between. I had major anxiety during pregnancy and for a few weeks afterwards that something was/would be wrong with the baby (all unrealized, thankfully). My dh was at his wits end. :
Funny, the things that helped during preg: kelp, high-quality B vitamins, eating every 2-3 hrs, magnesium, and Bach's Rescue Remedy. I quit all this once baby was born, as I thought all this was pregnancy related...so, could you please give me a list of things to read that would help me better understand and nutritionally heal this??? BTW, I swear my 2 yr old cycles (all of these symptoms) with me...is this possible??? :
ANy ideas on how I help heal my children, as well, without increasing toxin exposure? Thanks, Nicole

typos likely

#355 of 1016 Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 AM

(((mightymama))). If you can't find the answer here, maybe there are some thyroid boards (Mary Shomon's maybe? Don't now how active it is) where you can find the answer before Monday.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#356 of 1016 Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
mighty-mama, .

i'd definitely back off. i'd try to get through to your dr, too, though because they need to run tests, y'know? it might be more difficult for them to assess the dose you should be at if you go off, really. i'm not sure of the amount of time it takes your body to adjust to a new dose and for that to reflect in tests, but it's more than a day for sure. i've had mine adjusted before, as most of these mamas probably have, and my care-providers told me that they would have to wait some amount of time which my foggy brain can't recall until they could retest to see if it was the right dose. (frankly i think i might be a little low now 'cause of a whole laundry list of symptoms and foggy brain is just one of those, but that's a different post.)

in your situation, i think what i would do is call the clinic office and explain your symptoms and ask to be seen asap. i'd tell them you're cutting back on your dosage, too, because you feel like you're going to jump out of your skin. if they won't see you maybe the dr will at least talk to you. ask whoever you talk to to note that you are changing your dosage. i don't think i would go all the way off, though. i might back down to just one pill instead of the pill and a half.

i think it is common for adjustments in dosage to occur during pg. i had mine adjusted upwards, too. i started at .075 i think and worked my way up to .1 or maybe .125 . i just still have those other pills in the medicine cabinet. i save them for emergenicies when i run out of my current dose of .088 because i couldn't get to the drug store to pick up a refill. i'll split a .125 into 4ths and take 3/4 which is about .092 i think. just because you got your prescription refilled at .125 is no reason for the dr to tell you to take .185 -- that's a massive jump really. i'm not sure what the next dosage is from .125, but it's probably more like .140 or .150 . i think i'd go back down to the .125 and demand to be seen. if they won't see you until your next appt (really, they should see you now -- you're PG, for crying out loud) then when they do see you tell them you've been on the .125 for two weeks (or however long it turns out to be) and ask to be tested.

i have high blood pressure, too (runs in the family) and when i first got pg with dd1 i called before i could be seen and let them know i had POAS and gotten a positive and that i was on a diuretic for high bp. rather than have me on the diuretic during pgncy the nurse practioner called in a prescrip for aldomet i think (might have that drug name wrong) and when i took it -- whoa i was loopy. i had a home BP cuff and my BP was like 90/60 when it's usually 135/85 (on a good day unmedicated) or 125/80 (medicated). i just stopped taking the stuff. i told them when i went in and they said that was the right thing to do because sometimes especially in early pg your BP can go DOWN. anyway, MY drs weren't mad at me for adjusting my dose on that one. don't know how your dr will feel about you taking matters into your own hands, but your thyroid definitely needs to be regulated for your health and your baby's, too!

i'm not hashi btw so i don't know about the swinging from hypo to hyper that can go on with it. (i do have a LOT of vitiligo which i thought for sure meant i was hashi since it's an auto-immune thing, too, and thyroid issues and vitiligo often go hand in hand, but apparently according to the tests i have not hashi antibodies. )

hth

Mama
to two girls, Feb 2001
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#357 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 11:22 AM

Bumping for book suggestions on thyroid issues...hopefully from a holistic perspective.

typos likely

#358 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Does anyone have any idea or information as to what would cause the lesions and nodes/enlarged nodes in the thyroid? I haven't been able to find any information about this aspect, specifically.
Lack of iodine (nodular goiter), vitamin D deficiency (there are studies on this) and also I believe what I think (?) is an autoimmune disease hyperparathyroidism.
#359 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Bumping for book suggestions on thyroid issues...hopefully from a holistic perspective.
Dr. Brownstein's 2 books: "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" and "Iodine: Why You Need It" http://www.drbrownstein.com/
#360 of 1016 Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Attn Jane, et all~~

SO, by taking iodine, hopefully, I am passing some of that on as well? Understanding that it is a whole food form?
I am very aware that you can pass on defieciencies. My family passes on an ezyme deficiency for cow's milk...sigh. So here's my "history"
I've always had an itchy, flaky scalp
as a teen, I struggled with depression and weight gain
When my hormones fluctuate wildly, my eyes are affected: dizziness and nausea and headaches from reading, bending over and straightening up, and changes in lighting.
Irritability
and new to the list since I got pregnant last August:
Anxiety
Inability to cope with stress
feeling like everyone is against me, blowing up at the slightest things
weepy
Some days, I'm fine and have no symptoms...others, everything hits me while yet others are in between. I had major anxiety during pregnancy and for a few weeks afterwards that something was/would be wrong with the baby (all unrealized, thankfully). My dh was at his wits end. :
Funny, the things that helped during preg: kelp, high-quality B vitamins, eating every 2-3 hrs, magnesium, and Bach's Rescue Remedy. I quit all this once baby was born, as I thought all this was pregnancy related...so, could you please give me a list of things to read that would help me better understand and nutritionally heal this??? BTW, I swear my 2 yr old cycles (all of these symptoms) with me...is this possible??? :
ANy ideas on how I help heal my children, as well, without increasing toxin exposure? Thanks, Nicole
That's a pretty good list to start with of supplements that you took during pregnancy. I would add selenium and high vitamin cod liver oil too.

I've tried to put what I know regarding nutrition and digestion into the Healing the Gut Cheat Sheet. And it's an ongoing process for me too. The books on depression/anxiety I list above are very helpful in understanding the background of why the body reacts with anxiety to deficiencies.

I think stomach acid is a key role in this that hasn't gotten a lot of press... it is essential for absorbing B12 (google B12 deficiency symptoms and you'll get most of what you wrote) as well as amino acids (which are our neurotransmitters, essential for mood). Betaine HCI supplements for stomach acid support. It helped me a great deal when I had IBS and probably did a lot of other good regarding mood and sleep problems which disappeared when my digestion got better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page