The Thyroid Thread - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#451 of 1016 Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any literature I could read about going GFCF and it's relation to thyroid troubles? I'd love to learn more about this!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#452 of 1016 Old 09-02-2007, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The reading I did was mercury to thyroid, and mercury to GFCF, I didn't see anything directly from GFCF to thyroid, but it may be out there. I found some reading on the IAOMT website about mercury and thyroid in some of the studies they've got links to (I don't remember which papers, exactly--I skimmed a lot). And just yesterday, in the June-ish 07 part of the chelating mamas thread over in dental, there were some links I wanted to follow about mercury and iodine receptors in the thyroid.

ETA: I should have been clearer, I never found a smoking gun, nothing that definitive. The link below always has a lot of research citations for thyroid-related things, and a nice page on mercury is included. But this, plus some of the papers from the IAOMT site, plus my HCP's assertion that I wasn't at all atypical, in her experience, added up to this being a real possibility, albeit an annoying and rather scary one.

http://ithyroid.com/mercury.htm
#453 of 1016 Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Really, kidspiration? I had no idea other folks had similar experiences. I lost weight too, 15lbs for me.
Just wanted to jump in and say that after figuring out that my adrenals and thyroid were not doing so well, I also changed my diet. Didn't go gluten free, but I did cut out big dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese) and also cut out white flour & sugar.

Lost 10 pounds in 2 months!

Margie : & DH - Mom to sweet Avery Naoma : Our surprise breech homebirth! :

#454 of 1016 Old 09-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Just reminding myself to come back to this thread later.

My thyroid is currently overactive, and I tested positive for antibodies. They ran the Graves antibodies test yesterday, so I won't know about that for a week.

The doctor isn't in favor of treatment, because she thinks it's likely a temporary condition. (And I'm not sure she feels comfortable prescribing to a nursing mother.)

It's really really frustrating, because I don't feel like myself but I'm not sick enough to warrant any relief. I think the irritability is the worst!

Hives for two months is what sent me to an allergist who tested my thyroid. The endo said that hyperthyroidism doesn't usually cause hives. : So I guess if those come back after I stop the prednisone/antihistamines I'm on, I'm back to square one.
#455 of 1016 Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Hey thyroid ladies. I had thyroid cancer in '04 and got the left lobe removed. Fast forward to now, I'm five months pp w/.#4 babe and having major thyroid symptoms. Dr does tests says they're all *normal*. I *know* this is bulls#$% and made another appointment w/a different Dr. This weekend I discovered that remaining right lobe is very enlarged and tender to the touch. I've got a drs apoint on Monday, but am seriously worried that this means cancer is back/there and surgery and radioactive iodine are in my near future. I'm just at a loss. Let me know what your experiences are/were, please. I want to hear of other mamas like me!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#456 of 1016 Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 AM

Hey thyroid mamas. I am in trouble. I have blocked and infected salivary glands and salivary stones, no insurance, and leave on a plane in 3 days for my daughter's dream factory trip to Orlando. I got a dentist to rx me amoxocillin which I just started taking. I am taking echinachea, 12,000 mg a day sodium ascorbate, zinc, thyroid and adrenal supplements, psyillium husk, milk thistle, homeopathic "mumps" remedy, olive leaf extract, coQ10, chlorophyll, tanzi tea, sweetish bitters, B-50, vit E, B 12, oreganol, oregon grape leaf and probiotics. I feel like I might have a systemic infection that even amoxocillin and all of these supplements aren't coping with.

Its the glands under the tongue. I can feel the stones too. There are a lot of them in a big clump.
I've also been saunaing twice a day. Any chance these stones will pass do you think? Any experiences with this? I had a bunch of amalgams removed five years ago.
#457 of 1016 Old 09-16-2007, 03:26 PM

I posted this elsewhere, but maybe you all can help me.
I really have a major problem. For the past 2 months it seems, along with my nausea- I am literally exhausted 24-7. I have no interested in anything anymore, I just want to curl up, but sleep doesn't seem to interest me at all.
I just do things like eat and sleep and shower and manage the kids because I have to. But if I didn't have to do anything, I think I would be equally miserable.
I yawn ALL DAY! I never get more tired, it just seems I am at the same level of fatigue and disinterest all day and night.
I have food cravings, but am not that interested in pursuing them.
Do you know what I mean?
Any thoughts? It is making me crazy! And everyone is suffering.

I am 11 weeks preg also.
my sleep is awful- I sleep for about 2 hrs at a time, then wake for 1-20 min, and repeat every night.
I feel achey, sweaty off and on, want to throw up but don't (different than morning sickness)
I feel terribly weak, out of breath from walking up 1 flt of stairs and litteraly can't lift a finger around here.

Thanks for listening.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#458 of 1016 Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 PM

I've think posted this before on the thread but that is exactly how I felt both times I was pregnant last year. I could barely even function and I spent most days on the couch. Have you had your cortisol levels checked?

My exhaustion was due to my adrenal insufficiency. I've been taking Hydrocortisone through this pregnancy and I feel fanatasic this time around.
#459 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM

okay -my labs say my tsh levels are 36.44, should be 4.21. The ob office says- get to an endo, I am seeing an ostheopath now and I just don't know what to decide.
I am on natural thyroid replacement, but the ob wants me on synthroid.
These levels would indicate my lethargy- but as Kim said- my adrenals need an overhaul, and I think the OSteo is more apt to fix that than the endo.

thanks for listening

#460 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

This is just my opinion, but having an endo as a back up especially during pregnancy is a good idea. My thyroid was to blame for the loss of 6 pregnancies and I started to see an endo during my 7th and I believe that he was one of the reasons why I was able to deliver a healthy baby. This was jsut my expereince though. I have found that my body needs close monitoring. But if an osteo works and can get your levels down, then that is cool too...

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#461 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM

I agree- this is my 7th preg, and I have 3 kids. I am sure my thyroid has something to do with it.

#462 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
okay -my labs say my tsh levels are 36.44, should be 4.21. The ob office says- get to an endo, I am seeing an ostheopath now and I just don't know what to decide.
I am on natural thyroid replacement, but the ob wants me on synthroid.
These levels would indicate my lethargy- but as Kim said- my adrenals need an overhaul, and I think the OSteo is more apt to fix that than the endo.

thanks for listening
Are you taking Armour or just something over the counter? You TSH is way too high and you need to get that down ASAP. Definately look for someone who will prescribe something for you.

Are you saying your TSH should be under 4.21? Because it should really be under 2. 4 is at the high end of the range.

I lost 2 pregnancies last year while I was on Levoxyl (same thing as synthroid). My TSH was in range both times. I switched to Armour and added Hydrocortisone before I got pregnant and this pregnancy has gone beautifully (um, knock on wood)!!
#463 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM

i've been reading this thread awhile... just had my blood work (my Dr is an odiot - only did a TSH, wouldnt listen when i said i'm taking my medication (levothyroxine - genertic synthroid) but i've still got LOADS of symthoms. They said my levels was 2.1 (or something to 2.?) that i was fine and see ya in a year.

All that after a 1 1/2 wait to see the Dr, and a 45 minute drive (1 way) to her office! It's INSANE. I think i really need to switch to a different Dr

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#464 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
EMS

Quick question--when my dr. ordered the labwork for me, she asked for T3 total and T4 total. Is this right? Is that the same as free T3 and free T4? Those are the ones I want, right?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Three Boys in Brazil ::
#465 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 PM

No, they are not the same. Thyroid hormones bind with other hormones like estrogen and they can not be used by the body. The frees actually measure how much of the hormone is available in your system for you to use. Total T4 and T3 uptake test are essentially useless tests.

Free T3 & T4 are what you need. Most docs don't normally order them unless you make it clear that is what you want.
#466 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Hi all! I'm now to this thread but I need some help. I have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed almost 8 years ago, 5 years ago I had half of my thyroid removed .

I had my blood drawn last week and the nurse called today w/ my results. My TSH was 3.46 and my T4 was 1.0. She told me the results were w/in normal range. I'm having trouble finding the normal ranges for both TSH and T4(I think it may have be free T4). I have an appointment w/ my Dr. next week because we had discussed getting my TSH down to 2.0 because I am having a whole bunch of problems from fatigue to massive weight gain. I want to be able to take a couple of reliable source to my doctor next week when I see him. I am also going to request a referral for a endocrinologist. I want to feel normal. I want to have energy again. I want my skin to not be cracked anymore. I am frustrated, beyond frustrated. Help!
#467 of 1016 Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM

well, they said for me the tsh shouldn't be higher than 4.2.
I am taking a pill similar to Armour- its natural, but I think I may need to switch to Synthroid for the pregnancy.
Funny though- I am on 300 mg of natural, and they want me to start on 125 synthroid.
Weird to drop so low! don't you think??

#468 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Sorry, I forgot "Natural" is the generic for Armour. I read it just as "a natural" so I was thinking it was from a health food store.

The natural and the Synthroid are totally different from each other in terms of mg. Here is a chart that shows their eqivalency. http://thyroid.about.com/library/dru...rsionchart.htm
Even so, it seems like you should be taking more like 250mcg.

Why can't they just raise your natural thyroid dose? Some people need to double their dose in pregnancy. Most people when they are not pregnant need between 3-5 grains of thyroid to be in right ranges. It doesn't seem like you were on a high enough dose to begin with. We're your ranges OK before you became pregnant?

It's just that Synthroid is only T4. The natural is T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin. All things your body needs. A lot of people whom are hypo don't convert the T4 to T3 like we are supposed to therefore the Synthroid is actually a poorer choice.
#469 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 AM

I agree- but now I am caught between a nurse who knows nothing and is going by what her ob says- my tsh are high, stop taking natural- it doesn't work anyway- here lets start on 1.25. Sadly, they are clueless- I was on 400 mcg of Synthroid with my last pregnancy. this 1.25 won't ake a dent.
Tomorow I am going to see my DO who prescribed the natural stuff to figure out everything.
I will probably stick with the natural.

#470 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 01:07 AM

Sounds like your DO has a better handle on things.

It is so ridiculous how little doctors know about this. It just makes me so mad!!:
#471 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM

help

Quote:
Why can't they just raise your natural thyroid dose? Some people need to double their dose in pregnancy. Most people when they are not pregnant need between 3-5 grains of thyroid to be in right ranges. It doesn't seem like you were on a high enough dose to begin with. We're your ranges OK before you became pregnant?
q1 - where does this 3-5 grain average come from? I see the stopthethryoidmadness people spouting that but don't know where the number came from

q2/vent - seven Drs in 5 years and I still can't get decent thryoid help. Last/current guy said all the right things in my first appt - TSH doesn't really matter its all about symptoms, Free Ts in the mid to high range, quoted Barnes foundation, holistic certification. I am pg so hoping for a bump (getting way more exhausted than I should, 'only' on 2 grains). Then he sees my results and freaks! Suppressed TSH (.01) and falling 'but normal' Free Ts. Guy says with that TSH there is no way I can have/need more I am fine test again in 6-8weeks. What is the point? My TSH is not going to jump up to 2-3 in that time and he only seems to care about that one number.

q3 - need help with TSH suppression links. Must have research to beat this latest Dr with. Isn't suppression with Armour 'normal'? What are the real risks of suppression?

vent - Same 'helpful' Dr told my mom, - previously dx with Hashimoto's, on armour, TSH of about 2, Free Ts in the low to mid range - looks like her labs are fine, just need a boost from 'thryoid support' supplements the health food store will know what she needs. Oh and she has early Grave's disease. : : she has long decided I am way too 'passionate' about thyroid and mostly ignores what I have to say. Eats up what the white coats tells her.

just short of ordering unregulated thryoid 'stuff' on the internet I am out of option. I can't stomach another Dr search. off to go lay on some train tracks.
#472 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM

zane.
never give up- never surrender

#473 of 1016 Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 PM

now i'm on 500 mcg natural, adrenal support and b12 drops.
cross your fingers.

#474 of 1016 Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
help
q1 - where does this 3-5 grain average come from? I see the stopthethryoidmadness people spouting that but don't know where the number came from
I think it has come from their experience in talking to a lot of people. I found it to be true for myself and I've also noticed that a lot of people who say they still don't feel better are still only on 1 or 2 grains.
#475 of 1016 Old 09-19-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
now i'm on 500 mcg natural, adrenal support and b12 drops.
cross your fingers.
Yeah!! I hope you notice a difference soon!!
#476 of 1016 Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM

I haven't read this whole thread yet, it's sooo long. I just wanted to share my story and ask for advice.

I was diagnosed hyper with active graves disease almost 2 yrs ago. The endo was flipping out b/c my bp was 186 over 0. I really didn't have any idea how sick I was until I started to feel better but now I feel worse than I ever did when I was hyper. I went through with the radioactive iodine treatment b/c I was told that was the best option b/c of how bad my condition was. I didn't feel comfortable with it and I still kind of regret it. I really feel worse. I am taking 150 mcg of synthroid and haven't had my levels checked in a while b/c I don't have the money. I really need to though. Is there anyone else on here who regrets getting the radioative iodine treatment? Also, is there anything natural I can do to feel better?
#477 of 1016 Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 AM

Yes Subliime there is something natural you can do to feel better! You can switch from synthroid to Armour, which is natural and does a MUCH better job than synthroid. You can go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and/or go to yahoogroups and look for the group natural thyroid hormones and there you can learn a LOT more.

Now, an update on what's going on with me - still searching for a good doctor but I think I've got one that will do for now! I went back to my old gynecologist (the one who did a laproscopic surgery and didn't do the thyroid and hormone tests first like I asked, but said he did and they turned out fine). I'm thinking maybe he was a little humbled since we caught him in that and also since it turns out I AM hypothyroid and imbalanced hormones just like I told him lol. Plus I just really liked him all along, I think he just dropped the ball on those tests but overall he's a pretty decent doctor and WAY better than any of the others I've been to. At least he really listens and is very caring and doesn't talk down at all or get upset when you ask a bazillion questions.

So, he shocked me completely by agreeing to do all the tests I asked for! He gave me a lab slip for Free T3, thyroid antibodies and B-12 (goofball didn't even order TSH or T4, which is fantastic as far as I'm concerned because then he won't have the opportunity to have a fit if he doesn't know about Armour suppressing TSH lol) I forgot to ask for ferritin, but I will next time. And since we've been having trouble conceiving he even volunteered to give my husband a lab test for a sperm count!

And he said the thing about progesterone is that once you're on it, you have to STAY on it if you get pregnant (I thought he was trying to say I had to go off it and I got all defensive at first lol, but turns out he did know what he was talking about and I agreed with him!) So that makes me think he'll be pretty likely to refill my progesterone cream which is the thing I needed most since I can get Thyroid-S without his help.

He said that saliva tests are sorta debatable, there was a big buzz about them a few years ago but traditional doctors didn't really stick with them. He acknowledged though that blood tests only take a snapshot and do not necessarily show the whole picture. I was talking about so many things that I forgot to get more detail on that. He did say since I'm already on progesterone it won't really help to get tested again since the results will be skewed. I need to do more research and find out if there's a way around that, since I'd really like to know if I need a larger or smaller dosage.

I told him I was on 5 grains of Armour and he said "oh, natural"...not like it was good or bad, just commenting. My husband headed him off by saying "Yes she tried synthetic and had a horrible reaction"..I went on and said "Yeah, being suicidal is no fun!....and neither is having your hair fall out in handfuls!"

So I don't know if he'd actually give a prescription for Armour or the correct lab tests to anyone else (could be worth a try I suppose) but I'm sure thrilled he's doing what I need him to for me right now!
#478 of 1016 Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM

Another hypothryroid checking in!

I just had my first endo visit today. My OB/GYN tested for thyroid problems in search of the reasons behind our secondary infertility. Then she referred me to the endo. who did an u/s and found my thryoid is enlarged. He prescribed me euthyrox and I go back in approx. 2 months. I had no idea I had hypothyroidism before my OB/GYN tested for it, but I had suspected for awhile that I had some kind of hormonal imbalance. I just felt out of whack iykwim. And sometimes I wondered if I had sleep apnea or something to feel so tired even when getting a lot of sleep (though I also have the problem of waking up and unable to get back to sleep for hours).

Hopefully I'll start to have more energy soon but most of all, I hope that dealing with this problem will help us to have a second child.
#479 of 1016 Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 AM

for those out there with graves' or hashimotos... i just found this article. check it out.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm

it explains that there might be a link between celiac disease and thyroid autoimmune disease. it also says that antobodies can disappear in 3-6 months on a gluten free diet.

does anyone know about this?
#480 of 1016 Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM

I'm hoping somone can help me here. I just got my blood results back and this is what they were:

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S T4, Free (direct): 1.10
TSH: 0.813
T3: 139
Cortisol: 8.2

I'm not sure if I was tested for all the right things or not. I'm convinced I have a thyroid issue, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. Out of the 61 symptoms on the STTM list, I have all but 17, and two of those I didn't know, so I chose no. Do these look good? Am I missing something?

<>< Alison

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page