The Thyroid Thread - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#511 of 1016 Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy View Post
From the things I have been reading lately .3 to 3.0 is the "new"(adopted by Assc. of Endocrinologists in 2003), so in reality you are w/in limits.
Thanks- but unless it's a typo on my report, I'm at three hundredths, not three tenths ...

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#512 of 1016 Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahbazin View Post
Thanks- but unless it's a typo on my report, I'm at three hundredths, not three tenths ...
Opps! Sorry I didn't see the zero in there. Are they doing anything for the hyperthyroid?
#513 of 1016 Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 AM

nm - found it (i really need to learn to spell)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel

#514 of 1016 Old 10-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy View Post
Opps! Sorry I didn't see the zero in there. Are they doing anything for the hyperthyroid?

Well, they offered to nuke it - the radiation thing - & put me on replacement thyroid, but besides not having medical insurance at that time (15 or 20 years ago), it seemed a rather drastic "solution", particularly as I've never had any hyperthyroid symptoms; once I did have insurance, I just left it alone. Other than prenatal care, this is the 1st time I've ever seen a Dr. for a checkup since childhood, & I'm 40 now; I feel quite healthy, other than being a bit overweight (OK, I've still got 25 baby pounds to lose - but I've lost 30 so far).
So, just how out of norm is this test result? Is the fact that my free T4 is OK a mitigating factor? Could the recent pregnancies have knocked me a bit out of kilter (& it'll likely stabilize on its own?)?

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#515 of 1016 Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Where did it all begin? Why is there such a rise in thyroid conditions? My 3 yr old was born with congenital hypothyroidism and I am just amazed at the commonality of the disease!

Look how many of us are subscribed to this thread? How many more here on MDC have a disorder and don't know it?

Anyone else baffled by this phenomenon?

Part of me thinks its the environment, the exposure to toxins on a daily basis eventually wears out bodies down, and when that happens, problems arise.
Or Big Pharma creating this problem to continue their reign on us medically.
(sorry- just me and my conspiracy theories!)

It just blows my mind.

okay- rant over.:

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#516 of 1016 Old 10-09-2007, 02:12 PM

on another note- I am feeling better! My DO has me taking 500 mcg of natural dessicated thyroid, AND adrenal booster, AND a 20,000mg (-not a typo btw)dose 2x a day of liquid B-12.
I can actually get dressed nowadays!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#517 of 1016 Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM

I'm glad your starting to feel better!!

I have the same theories....I think our hormones are all messed up because the quality of food we eat is so poor. Our fruits & veggies have less vitamins and minerals in them than they did even 50 years ago. Our bodies need those vit & min to run right. We used to get vit & min from the animals as well but now they are being fed grains that are void of nutrition instead of feeding on grasses.

I also think vaccines, toxic chemicals (pestisides, household cleaners, etc...) and flouride in our water have contributed to destroying our immune systems.

I see people everywhere that have symptoms of thyroid problems....depression, thinning hair in women, missing hair in the corners of the eyebrows, weight gain (hard to lose pounds) etc.... It's just everywhere and it's really horrifying!!
#518 of 1016 Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
Where did it all begin? Why is there such a rise in thyroid conditions? My 3 yr old was born with congenital hypothyroidism and I am just amazed at the commonality of the disease!

Look how many of us are subscribed to this thread? How many more here on MDC have a disorder and don't know it?

Anyone else baffled by this phenomenon?

Part of me thinks its the environment, the exposure to toxins on a daily basis eventually wears out bodies down, and when that happens, problems arise.
Or Big Pharma creating this problem to continue their reign on us medically.
(sorry- just me and my conspiracy theories!)

It just blows my mind.

okay- rant over.:
See, I'm not baffled. It is our environment, big business, big pharma and the bought and paid for whore that is the FDA. There are books and articles that document just how this stuff works, and it's criminal.

We have been exposed to soy, plastic, mercury, chlorine, and flouride, which are all endocrine disruptors. Your thyroid is an endocrine gland. The FDA has allowed food to be packaged and cooked in plastic which is going into our bodies and messing up our endocrine system. The FDA allowed the soy producers to systematically replace more expensive fats, proteins and grains with soy in virtually every packaged food on the grocery store shelves, thereby poisoning busy families throughout our entire country in one fell swoop. Flouride was added to our water supplies, toothpastes, mouthwashes and treatments received in the dentist's office, and it has now been proven that too much flouride can damage your teeth. Since it's added to the water supply and every person consumes a different amount, there is no way to control the dosage.

Every time someone says something is OK in moderation I have to ask how can I moderate something I have no way of measuring? Then we have poisonous junk being dumped on our food crops, GMOs, and organic food that is allowed to be 5% 'other.'

Big Pharma has the FDA in its pocket, as do the people who make artificial sweeteners, which were also approved in a very shady manner. We have been pumped full of crap that people blindly accept as safe because of a corrupt government agency we think protects us.

A few books on the subject:
The Whole Soy Story
Sweet Deception
Innocent Casualties:The FDA's War Against Humanity
Inside the FDA:The Business and Politics Behind the Drugs We Take and the Food we Eat
Trust Us We're Experts:How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles With Your Future
Toxic Sludge Is Good For You
A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives
The Crazy Makers:How the Food Industry is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children
Excitoxins:the Taste That Kills
Fight For Your Health:Exposing the FDA's Betrayal of America

Articles? Don't get me started.

I was sick for years before I could find a doctor who would say yes, it's your thyroid. Every time I move, I begin another quest for a doctor who has a clue. Sometimes I feel like I will never be me again, and every time I see a commercial for the latest designer drug, or hear someone say how healthy soy is, or read yet another label at the grocery store to find that another of my favorite foods has been ruined, or worst of all-hear someone say well, the FDA wouldn't approve it if it wasn't safe, I want to scream.

We are living in a toxic world, and our government is allowing big business to poison us on a daily basis. Millions of people are sick and dying sooner because of this, but we're all so busy with other things we aren't holding our government accountable for what they are doing.

Instead of sending stuff back to China and boycotting stores, we should be asking our government why these things are even allowed to be sold to unsuspecting consumers in our country. We should be asking why an agency exists to protect us when it really just whores itself out to big business. We should also be looking at politicians who have interests in big pharma, plastics, soy, and any business that manufactures or disposes of chemical products.

Baffled? Not in the slightest. I'm profoundly pissed off.

My ranting has not even begun.

for intuitive readings click here :
#519 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
EMS

I would really appreciate it...
This is what they are:
T4 Free, direct .98 (.61-1.76)
T4 4.7 (4.5-12.0)
T3 80 (85-205)
ferritin 20 (10-291)
T3 Free, Serum 2.3 (2.3-4.2)
So what now? It seems like the numbers are on the low side. (They forgot to do the TSH, but a few months ago it was 1.67.)
I have moderate, vague symptoms, nothing terrible, and low temps.
I'm taking a multivitamin (NOW prenatals), high vit. clo, fish oil, acerola.
Any suggestions??
Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Three Boys in Brazil ::
#520 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS View Post
I would really appreciate it...
This is what they are:
T4 Free, direct .98 (.61-1.76)
T4 4.7 (4.5-12.0)
T3 80 (85-205)
ferritin 20 (10-291)
T3 Free, Serum 2.3 (2.3-4.2)
So what now? It seems like the numbers are on the low side. (They forgot to do the TSH, but a few months ago it was 1.67.)
I have moderate, vague symptoms, nothing terrible, and low temps.
I'm taking a multivitamin (NOW prenatals), high vit. clo, fish oil, acerola.
Any suggestions??
Thanks so much.

Tsh really isn't that important so it's not a big deal that you didn't have it done.

Of the important ones that you had done:

free T4 should be in upper 1/2 of range or above so that is low...

free T3 should be in upper 1/3 of range or just over top of range so yours is very low.....

From what I understand ferritin should be between 70-90....
I don't know a lot about ferritin. If you go here http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewforum.php?f=4
you may be ableto get any questions answered as far as what to take to get it up higher.
#521 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Baffled? Not in the slightest. I'm profoundly pissed off.

My ranting has not even begun.

I agree. Don't forget nuclear testing and vaccinations.
#522 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 PM

I just had my thyroid tested and I'll get the results soon. I hope its a thyroid problem and not bi-polar. Yuck.
#523 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Just remember to read everything you can get your hands on, and don't accept a TSH test as concrete proof that your thyroid is OK. It is so often misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder because of things like that crappy TSH test.
The drugs they give you for bipolar disorder can jack up your system even worse, so be absolutely certain before you let them dose you.

#524 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Just remember to read everything you can get your hands on, and don't accept a TSH test as concrete proof that your thyroid is OK. It is so often misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder because of things like that crappy TSH test.
The drugs they give you for bipolar disorder can jack up your system even worse, so be absolutely certain before you let them dose you.
I have to be honest with you, although I do enjoy being responsible for my health and education, this type of research and reading makes my head spin and I find it mind numbing. (And vax research too)

I am not sure how to get through it....its kinda over my head, kwim?

They should really make movies about it....like documentarys....I retain so much more info that way.
#525 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 PM

I wish they would.

That is why I belong to groups and visit STTM and thyroid about.com a lot.
I ask the same questions over again because of the brain fog that makes me forget. I keep notes and buy books.

Mainstream medicine and the pharmaceuticals industry have a lot invested in keeping us sick and compliant. We can't afford to just roll over, so even though I forget more than I remember, I keep at it and keep sending people to the websites.

Too many women are out there feeling awful and being told it's all in their heads.

#526 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM

OMG! That is so amazing you mentioned that! (brain fog)

I wonder if the thyroid communitys are more forgiving of ppl who ask stuff over and over and over?

I will be that person! (And mabye within the same week, unless I get some way of organizing information system....not likley right now. )

Has anyone ever thought it was a candida yeast problem? My main "self diagnoses" are bi-polar (and a host of other mental illnesses....adhd, depression, etc....and candida yeast, and thyropid, and adrenal.)
#527 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
OMG! That is so amazing you mentioned that! (brain fog)

I wonder if the thyroid communitys are more forgiving of ppl who ask stuff over and over and over?

I will be that person! (And mabye within the same week, unless I get some way of organizing information system....not likley right now. )

Has anyone ever thought it was a candida yeast problem? My main "self diagnoses" are bi-polar (and a host of other mental illnesses....adhd, depression, etc....and candida yeast, and thyropid, and adrenal.)
some of the people in the groups talk about things like yeast and mercury a lot. Depression, fatigue and brain fog are the top 3 symptoms of thyroid disorders for many people. So many women start having problems right after having kids and they just get written off as lazy, or 'hormonal.' Thyroid is hormonal, but so often the whole thing is lumped into the category that so many female complaints are, as in it's hormonal so you'll just have to deal with it. That's so wrong! There are natural treatments for hormonal problems and you don't have to just deal with it.

#528 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 PM

I just went to an endocrinologist for the first time in a year and a half (Last one was a total quack, I live in central Florida if anyone wants to know who to avoid, PM me)

Just got my blood work back today. My TSH was "unreadable" it is over 150.

I start back on my meds tommorrow. I hope I feel better soon, the confusion and the fatigue is really starting to get to me.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#529 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 09:53 PM

I guess I qualify for this group... I don't have a thyroid anymore. It's a long story, but can be told quickly. Age 16, mom noticed the lump on my throat. Dr diagnosed as benign goiter. Took synthroid since then to "shut off" thyroid and replace the hormone. Goiter stayed exactly the same size for many years. Then at age 35 - it seemed out of nowhere - the goiter started growing rapidly. They recommended surgery to remove vs. biopsy where possible cancer could be missed. I got the thyroid out; they froze, sliced, and examined it all, it was totally benign. So, I was left to wonder what could have caused the goiter to suddenly grow like that. Then I recall about 1-2 years before the big goiter growth spurt, I started to eat a LOT of soy (husband's a vegetarian). Did some research and discovered that soy is quite goiterogenic (it should carry warning labels!!) and it's not all that great for you anyway. Discovered it also can induce hypothyroid condition and symptoms, even in those w/o preexisting thyroid issues. Now, even tho I have no thyroid, I avoid soy like the plague (most processed food is out). Hubby also has stopped eating soy. I pass along the word whenever I can.

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#530 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
Then I recall about 1-2 years before the big goiter growth spurt, I started to eat a LOT of soy (husband's a vegetarian). Did some research and discovered that soy is quite goiterogenic (it should carry warning labels!!) and it's not all that great for you anyway. Discovered it also can induce hypothyroid condition and symptoms, even in those w/o preexisting thyroid issues. Now, even tho I have no thyroid, I avoid soy like the plague (most processed food is out). Hubby also has stopped eating soy. I pass along the word whenever I can.
I am missing half and I am pretty sure my problems intensified and my nodule that was growing in my thyroid was related to my increase in tofu and soy based products like garden burgers. We had started eating tofu once or twice a week and w/in 3 months I was having all sorts of problems swallowing and an ultrasound showed a nodule and the needle biopsy showed abnormal cells(they thought it was cancer) when it was removed it came back benign. After I started to research more and found the connection and I now avoid those things. Scary stuff.
#531 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
I guess I qualify for this group... I don't have a thyroid anymore. It's a long story, but can be told quickly. Age 16, mom noticed the lump on my throat. Dr diagnosed as benign goiter. Took synthroid since then to "shut off" thyroid and replace the hormone. Goiter stayed exactly the same size for many years. Then at age 35 - it seemed out of nowhere - the goiter started growing rapidly. They recommended surgery to remove vs. biopsy where possible cancer could be missed. I got the thyroid out; they froze, sliced, and examined it all, it was totally benign. So, I was left to wonder what could have caused the goiter to suddenly grow like that. Then I recall about 1-2 years before the big goiter growth spurt, I started to eat a LOT of soy (husband's a vegetarian). Did some research and discovered that soy is quite goiterogenic (it should carry warning labels!!) and it's not all that great for you anyway. Discovered it also can induce hypothyroid condition and symptoms, even in those w/o preexisting thyroid issues. Now, even tho I have no thyroid, I avoid soy like the plague (most processed food is out). Hubby also has stopped eating soy. I pass along the word whenever I can.
You know what's funny about that? Most patients who use natural thyroid hormones like to use enough to suppress TSH and totally replace their thyroid hormone rather than rely on their body's own faulty system to kick in. Most synthroid pushers discourage that, so it's interesting to me that they used synthroid to shut yours down. None of them seem to agree on anything. :

#532 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
some of the people in the groups talk about things like yeast and mercury a lot. Depression, fatigue and brain fog are the top 3 symptoms of thyroid disorders for many people. So many women start having problems right after having kids and they just get written off as lazy, or 'hormonal.' Thyroid is hormonal, but so often the whole thing is lumped into the category that so many female complaints are, as in it's hormonal so you'll just have to deal with it. That's so wrong! There are natural treatments for hormonal problems and you don't have to just deal with it.
Are thyroid problems genetic? My mom, and grandmother are "depressed, hormonal, crazy, fatigued, etc."

This is the first time I have actually considered alot of "medical" treatment for anything because I am the "diet and excercise can cure anything" camp. (And some alternatives but I usually regard the medical community as somewhat evil. )

So what do you all use to "fix?" the thyroid issues you have? (Or mabye manage? Can you fix the thyroid?)

Perscriptions?
Natural remedies?
other?

???
#533 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Are thyroid problems genetic? My mom, and grandmother are "depressed, hormonal, crazy, fatigued, etc."

The thyroid disorder I have is genetic. Great Grandma, grandma and I all have the same thing.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#534 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:

This is the first time I have actually considered alot of "medical" treatment for anything because I am the "diet and excercise can cure anything" camp. (And some alternatives but I usually regard the medical community as somewhat evil. )

So what do you all use to "fix?" the thyroid issues you have? (Or mabye manage? Can you fix the thyroid?)

Perscriptions?
Natural remedies?
other?

???
THey can be. my grandmother, aunt and mother had them I'm fairly certain, though just my aunt and mom were diagnosed besides me. Women are more at risk because of the possibility of sheehans syndrome from excessive bleeding during childbirth, and various other reasons, too.
ANd the medical community is evil...a moneymaking machine.

Below I have quoted heavily from several sites, but mostly from STTM.
there are many causes, from STTM

"
Hypothyroidism or the underactivity of the thyroid gland, is a condition which occurs when the thyroid gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormones, and/or there is a failure of the tissues to receive thyroid hormones. Some causes are common; some are more rare. Below is an outline of those potential causes. Recognize your own??
Iodine Insufficiency It’s strongly proposed that millions of individuals develop hypothyroidism due to the lack of adequate iodine intake, which in turn is due to soil depletion and lack of iodine in our diet. Since iodine is necessary in the synthesis, storage and secretion of thyroid hormones, a deficiency of iodine can result in hypothyroidism. Hashimoto’s Disease Also called “Hashi’s” or “thyroiditis”, this is an autoimmune disorder in which one’s immune system attacks it’s own thyroid cells, causing inflammation and eventually resulting in hypothyroid. In many cases a goiter develops because of the inflammation, but sometimes the thyroid gland can actually shrink. Patients with Hashi’s can vascillate between hypo and hyper. There is a genetic predisposition to autoimmune disease, so if you have one, you are more at risk to have others, including Hashi’s thyroiditis. It is proposed that a lack of iodine also plays a role in autoimmune attacks on the thyroid. Overtreatment for Graves Hyperthyroid or Hashi’s with Radioactive Iodine If a person with Graves’ disease or Hashimotos is treated with radioactive iodine (RAI), the thyroid gland is usually rendered partially or fully inactive. Over time, from a few months to a few years, hypothyroidism usually occurs. Thyroid Removal Surgery If much of the thyroid gland is surgically removed, the result can be hypothyroidism. Radiation of the face/neck/chest Whether for treatment of acne, or for Hodgkins Disease, this treatment from the 1960’s through the 80’s and beyond can be a precursor to developing thyroid disease, especially if the thyroid area wasn’t protected. Tumor on the Pituitary Gland Also called Secondary Hypothyroidism, a tumor on the Pituitary gland interferes with the production of the Thyroid Stimulation Hormone, causing hypothyroidism as well as adrenal insufficiency. Disorders of the hypothalamus portions of the brain may also cause thyroid hormone deficiency. Trauma from Accidents or Surgery Trauma, such as from automobile accidents, surgery, or severe uterine hemorrhage during childbirth can result in Sheeans Syndrome, which is hypopituitarism, and results in hypothyroidism. Cholecystectomy and Hysterectomy, as well as Ttonsillectomy, can increase the risk of hypothyroid. Whiplash or neck trauma can cause hypothyroidism. Pharmaceutical Drug Induced Lithium, used in the treatment of bipolar manic-depressive disorder, inhibits thyroid hormone release and can also result in a goiter. The heart drug, Amiodarone, also increases your risk of hypothyroidism. Supplements On the opposite side of the coin of insufficient iodine is taking too much from iodine-containing herbs such as kelp, bladderwrack, or bugleweed can increase your risk for hypothyroidism. Many multivitamins, glandular support formulas and combination products contain these supplements. Over consumption of Goitrogenic Foods When eaten in large quantities, this class of foods can promote goiters and resulting hypothyroidism. They are mostly only a concern when served raw as cooking may minimize or eliminate goitrogenic potential. Goitrogenic foods include brussel sprouts, rutabaga, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, cauliflower, African cassava, millet, babassu, cabbage, kale and soy products. Over consumption of Soy Products Soy products have a definite antithyroid and goitrogenic effect. Long term consumption of soy products can promote formation of goiters and development of autoimmune thyroid disease. Nutritional Deficiencies Deficiencies of iodine or minerals (selenium, iron, magnesium, zinc) or vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin B Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine, Vitamin C and Vitamin E) can affect thyroid hormone production. Cigarette Smoking Unfortunately, tobacco smoke contains cyanide, which is converted to thiocyanate, and which adversely acts as an anti-thyroid agent, inhibiting iodide uptake and hormone synthesis. The enlargement of the thyroid can occur due to smoking, which is a clue that the thyroid is negatively affected. Pregnancy/Childbirth Some doctors estimate that as many as 5 to 10% of women develop a thyroid problem after delivery. Childbirth can be a hormonal trigger for Hashimoto’s Disease. The owner of this site has this as the cause of her hypothyroidism. Menopause Thyroid problems are known to surface at periods of hormonal upheaval and are more common just prior to or during menopause. (The owner of this site noticed her thyroid got a bit worse as she started to enter meno.) Aging Hypothyroidism becomes increasingly common as we age, particularly in women. Ten percent of all women over the age of 50 show signs of a failing thyroid. The percentage rises to 20% in women over 65. The owner of this site saw her 90+ year old father-in-law ease into severe hypothyroidism which the doctors refused to treat. Environmental Exposures Some patients have experienced the fact that fluoride and chlorine can interfere with proper thyroid conversion and result in hypothyroidism. Another concern is mercury, a component in dental fillings, which can disable the thyroid’s ability to convert T4 to T3, resulting in hypothyroidism. Percholate and Other Toxic Chemicals Exposure Percholate blocks iodine from entering the thyroid, and prevents further synthesis of thyroid hormone. It is found in various water supplies around the nation, particularly in areas near rocket fuel or fireworks plants. There is strong evidence that exposure to certain toxic chemicals increase the risk of developing thyroid disease. Those that are of concern are dioxins, MTBE, and others that act as “endocrine disrupters”. Additional Causes Polyunsaturated oils interfere with the release and transport of thyroid. Estrogen Dominance Excess Cysteine Accumulation of Iron in the thyroid gland (10% of those with hemochromatosis) Adrenal Insufficiency Thyroid Hormone Resistance Dysfunction of T4 to T3 conversion Congenital Hypothyroidism–being born without a thyroid Nuclear Plant Exposure"

As for symptoms, and remember, not everyone has every symptom, and some people (like me) have conflicting symptoms. I was cold for most of my life while hyper, and hot all the time while hypo, which is the exact opposite of the norm.
from wrong diagnosis.com-

With hypothyroidism, weight gain occurs despite anorexia. Related signs and symptoms include fatigue; cold intolerance; constipation; menorrhagia; slowed intellectual and motor activity; dry, pale, cool skin; dry, sparse hair; and thick, brittle nails. Myalgia, hoarseness, hypoactive deep tendon reflexes, bradycardia, and abdominal distention may occur. Eventually, the face assumes a dull expression with periorbital edema.

From Thyroid.org.au

common symptoms of hypothyroidism:
  • Weight gain
  • Chronic constipation
  • Feeling cold (especially hands and feet) even on warm days
  • Low basal temperature
  • Fatigue, exhaustion and low energy (even after 12 hours sleep)
  • Slow reflexes
  • Slow, weak pulse
  • Slowness of thought processes (brain fog)
  • Indecisiveness
  • Poor memory and concentration
  • Sluggishness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Pain and stiffness in muscles or joints
  • Deepening, hoarse voice
  • Depression, mood swings and severe PMS
  • Thick, dry, coarse skin
  • Creviced, cracking skin on heels, elbows and knee caps
  • Enlarged thyroid gland
  • Lump in throat (hard to swallow)
  • High cholesterol
  • Menstrual cycle irregularities (prolonged and heavy)
  • Infertility
  • Numbness and tingling (especially in hands and face)
  • Fluid retention (swelling of face and feet)
  • Brittle hair and nails
  • Hair loss
  • Shortness of breath on exertion
Less common symptoms
  • Allergies
  • Back pain
  • Blood pressure problems
  • Breast tenderness
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Chest pain
  • Digestive disturbances
  • Dizziness
  • Dry eyes and mouth
  • Headaches and migraines
  • Irritability
  • Pale skin
  • Palpitations
  • Reduced libido
  • Skin rashes
  • Sore throat
  • Stiff neck and shoulders
  • Thinning eye brows
  • Visual disturbances
From STTM, many women compiled the list of symptoms that were relieved when they switched to natural thyroid hormones:
Long and Pathetic list of Hypothyroid Symptoms

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: This is an IRONIC list. Granted, these are hypothyroid symptoms. BUT, these are symptoms that patients have had WHILE ON Thyroxine T4-only meds (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine, etc) and with a “target” TSH! Cough.
But there’s MORE! In order to qualify to be on this list below, these ALSO had to be symptoms which were totally eradicated when these same patients got on natural dessicated thyroid like Armour and found their optimal dose:
  • Less stamina than others
  • Less energy than others
  • Long recovery period after any activity
  • Inability to hold children for very long
  • Arms feeling like dead weights after activity
  • Chronic Low Grade Depression
  • Suicidal Thoughts
  • Often feeling cold
  • Cold hands and feet
  • High cholesterol
  • Bizarre and Debilitating reaction to exercise
  • Hard stools
  • Constipation
  • No eyebrows or thinning outer eyebrows
  • Dry Hair
  • Hair Loss
  • Dry cracking skin
  • Nodding off easily
  • Requires naps in the afternoon
  • Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
  • Forgetfulness
  • Foggy thinking
  • Inability to lose weight
  • Always gaining weight
  • Inability to function in a relationship with anyone
  • NO sex drive
  • Moody periods
  • PMS
  • Excruciating pain during period
  • Nausea
  • Swelling/edema/puffiness
  • Aching bones/muscles
  • Osteoporosis
  • Bumps on legs
  • Acne on face and in hair
  • Breakout on chest and arms
  • Hives
  • Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
  • Inability to work full-time
  • Inability to stand on feet for long periods
  • Complete lack of motivation
  • Slowing to a snail’s pace when walking up slight grade
  • Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others
  • Handwriting nearly illegible
  • Internal itching of ears
  • Broken/peeling fingernails
  • Dry skin or snake skin
  • Major anxiety/worry
  • Ringing in ears
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Inability to eat in the mornings
  • No hair growth, breaks faster than it grows
  • Joint pain
  • Carpal tunnel symptoms
  • No Appetite
  • Fluid retention to the point of Congestive Heart Failure
  • Swollen legs that prevented walking
  • Blood Pressure problems
  • Varicose Veins
  • Dizziness from fluid on the inner ear
  • Low body temperature
  • Raised temperature
  • Tightness in throat; sore throat
  • Swollen lymph glands
  • sore feet (plantar fascitis); painful soles of feet
  • now how do I put this one politely….a cold bum, butt, derriere, fanny, gluteus maximus, haunches, hindquarters, posterior, rear, and/or cheeks. Yup, really exists.

As you read the above list and some of the symptoms as your own, you have to now make a paradigm shift in the way society and doctors have taught you to ascertain whether you have hypothyroid or not.
Namely, you have to make SYMPTOMS your primary clue, NOT labwork. Labwork should only serve as additional information, NOT as the initial force of reality. If you continue to look at labwork as THE answer, you are no better than hundreds of thousands of doctors around the world who have kept thyroid patients SICK! That is especially true for the TSH, besides the total T4.

Once you understand that SYMPTOMS are the clue, you can pursue correct and beneficial labwork as additional information.
Next, you find a doctor who’s ahead of the game, because he understands that SYMPTOMS are the main force, and that desiccated thyroid is the treatment of choice. You may have to drive farther to a good doc than any doctor you’ve ever had. But it’s worth it.
Additionally…no matter how excellent of a doctor you find, you need to become educated about what patients ahead of you have learned, and what mistakes you do not want to make. NO DOCTOR IS PERFECT, so YOU are your own best advocate.

My favorite quotes from the STTM site follow

THYROID MADNESS DEFINITION:
1. Treating hypothyroid patients solely with T4-only meds
2. Dosing solely by the TSH and the total T4, or using the outdated "Thyroid Panel"
3. Prescribing anti-depressants in lieu of evaluating and treating the free T3
4. Telling thyroid patients that desiccated natural thyroid like Armour is "unreliable", "inconsistent", "dangerous" or "outdated".
5. Making labwork more important than the hypo symptoms which scream their presence
6. Failing to see the OBVIOUS symptoms of poorly treated thyroid, and instead, recommending a slew of other tests and diagnoses.

Treatment that works? Natural hormones instead of synthetic. Many of us require adrenal supplements and/or hydrocortisone to help the thyroid hormone get into our cells after years of adrenal fatigue. Selenium, b vitamins, and various other supplements have been helpful for many of us also.

There are so many thyroid groups out there, and so many homeopathic docs, naturopathic docs, people who share information designed to help you avoid the years of hell we went through.... take advantage of it.

Google 'top thyroid docs' to find a site that will help you find docs in your area who are open to treating by symptoms and prescribing natural hormones instead of synthetics. Talk to the women in the thyroid groups.
Google, google, google.

Mary Shoman is a longtime advocate for thyroid patients and has gone head to head with many mainstream endocrinologists. Her site
http://thyroid.about.com/

There are forums there also, but many in the forums are advocates of synthroid which seems odd after all the work Mary's done to get the word out.

Hope this is more helpful than frightening. It makes me want to cry when I know someone who has all the symptoms of hypo but is in denial or in the thrall of a bad doctor, so I get all when I get the opportunity.

#535 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 PM

omg

Quote:
Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time

Thanks for the information.

It seems like those are ALOT of symptoms though, wouldnt everyone have some of them?
#536 of 1016 Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 PM

probably. some of them keep coming up over and over again though. the woman who composed the STTM site ran a thyroid group for years and took surveys and comments from other women who had the same experience with doctors telling them they were fine while they kept getting sicker. I look at my most debilitating and persistent symptoms as a guide.
I lost my eyebrows, gained something like 80 lbs at the rate of 10 or more lbs a month while on a diet and barely able to eat at all. I forced myself to do an hour a day on the treadmill just to try to keep the weight at bay, then I would sleep for most of the day because I kept falling asleep when I tried to do anything else. My periods were so heavy I could barely leave the house, and the only thing a doctor would suggest was to have my uterus cauterized. He essentially told me he didn't know what was causing it, so he was going to treat the symptom.

Before this happened, I had been a superwoman who could work 3 jobs, run on no sleep, cook, clean, think, learn, exercise, have hobbies...and all effortlessly.

I did a complete 180 and nobody could tell me why. Suddenly, at 35, I was bipolar. Or depressed. Or lazy and lying about how much I ate and how much I exercized. Or my brain had leaked out my ears. At one point I was even diagnosed with narcolepsy. Yeah. In the past 10 years the only time I have felt 100% good was when I smoked and I just found out it was because smoking increased my cortisol, which allowed my thyroid hormones to work better. So probably that was the only time I was ever optimized on my dosage, and my adrenals are still not up to par since I'm not smoking any more.

So, even when you think you have it figured out, there is always something else to learn. I knew my adrenals had taken a dive, but I didn't realize smoking had actually helped. : With all those stupid commericials for Relacore, people have the idea that cortisol is what is making them fat, but what they don't realize is, it not only does that if you have too much, it can also make you fat if you have too little.

It doesn't make sense that doctors aren't treating for this, but then, they make so much money treating for the side effects of hypo....obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, skin problems......so you can see how it makes financial sense in a truly evil way. :

#537 of 1016 Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I just had my thyroid tested and I'll get the results soon. I hope its a thyroid problem and not bi-polar. Yuck.
I WAS diagnosed as bipolar 10 years ago until my doc figured out it was really my thyroid. Honestly, I think A LOT of bipolar (especially bi-polar II) diagnoses are really misdiagnosed hypothyroidism.

Pharmaceutical companies make a lot more money off of anti-depressants and other bipolar (anti-seizure) drugs than they do off of Armour. I spend about $30 a month for my Armour prescription. My friend who was prescribed Lamictal for her bi-polar disorder pays $200 a month.
#538 of 1016 Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
probably. some of them keep coming up over and over again though. the woman who composed the STTM site ran a thyroid group for years and took surveys and comments from other women who had the same experience with doctors telling them they were fine while they kept getting sicker. I look at my most debilitating and persistent symptoms as a guide.
I lost my eyebrows, gained something like 80 lbs at the rate of 10 or more lbs a month while on a diet and barely able to eat at all. I forced myself to do an hour a day on the treadmill just to try to keep the weight at bay, then I would sleep for most of the day because I kept falling asleep when I tried to do anything else. My periods were so heavy I could barely leave the house, and the only thing a doctor would suggest was to have my uterus cauterized. He essentially told me he didn't know what was causing it, so he was going to treat the symptom.

Before this happened, I had been a superwoman who could work 3 jobs, run on no sleep, cook, clean, think, learn, exercise, have hobbies...and all effortlessly.

I did a complete 180 and nobody could tell me why. Suddenly, at 35, I was bipolar. Or depressed. Or lazy and lying about how much I ate and how much I exercized. Or my brain had leaked out my ears. At one point I was even diagnosed with narcolepsy. Yeah. In the past 10 years the only time I have felt 100% good was when I smoked and I just found out it was because smoking increased my cortisol, which allowed my thyroid hormones to work better. So probably that was the only time I was ever optimized on my dosage, and my adrenals are still not up to par since I'm not smoking any more.

So, even when you think you have it figured out, there is always something else to learn. I knew my adrenals had taken a dive, but I didn't realize smoking had actually helped. : With all those stupid commericials for Relacore, people have the idea that cortisol is what is making them fat, but what they don't realize is, it not only does that if you have too much, it can also make you fat if you have too little.

It doesn't make sense that doctors aren't treating for this, but then, they make so much money treating for the side effects of hypo....obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, skin problems......so you can see how it makes financial sense in a truly evil way. :
Thats so weird because I quit smoking 2 years ago, and for some reason latley I have been conciously thinking "Mabye I should start smoking again." Its the weridest thought because there isnt any good reason to smoke, LOL.
(I am not going to, )

I guess the issue that I think doctors are going to have is that it is a liability for them to treat the thyroid without a positive test. (I understand they routinley treatt he symproms ALL the time on other issues, but my thought is that thats what he is going to say.)

My doc did look at me a little weird when I walked in and demanded a bunch of tests because I am pregnant and that alone could cause all my symptoms. He said I would have to have all the tests re-done when the baby is born.

I have felt this way since I was 13-15 years old or so-so over 10 years. I did notice a change when I had my first child at 19 though. (I cant recall how much change occured though.)

I am becoming convinced that this is the issue...

I wonder if there are dangers in treating a thyroid problem if I am bi-polar, and my thyroid is, in fact, fine.
#539 of 1016 Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thats so weird because I quit smoking 2 years ago, and for some reason latley I have been conciously thinking "Mabye I should start smoking again." Its the weridest thought because there isnt any good reason to smoke, LOL.
(I am not going to, )

I wonder if there are dangers in treating a thyroid problem if I am bi-polar, and my thyroid is, in fact, fine.
It's crazy, but I've seriously consideried starting up the gum again. : You just get so tired of feeling lousy that you get stupid sometimes.

Actually, there are more dangers in treating you for bipolar disorder when you are in fact hypothyroid than there are in treating you for hypo when you are in fact bipolar. The smartest thing to do is try a natural thyroid supplement to see if it makes you feel better first.

The fact that psychicatric drugs often cause more problems than they solve, and the way they come out with new ones every year so they can keep charging higher prices....those are the things that should scare people. I find it frightening that with all of our progress in this modern world, we have so many new diseases and epidemic surges in old ones,and the medical community's response is to dump the treatments that worked for inferior ones with scary side effects, and keep coming up with new drugs that make the problems worse. That makes no sense.

We're smarter than that. Women here know that many children with behavior problems benefit from the removal of dyes and chemicals in their diets. It's not that big of a leap to see that the other chemicals in our food and drugs can cause problems in adults. The recalls on drugs like FenPhen are just another reminder that they can and do approve drugs that are unsafe, and we are just their guinea pigs. It's an ugly business, and they make enough money to throw settlements at the people who successfully sue if it comes to that. So many are uninformed that gamble pays off for them in a huge way.

Do the research, find a good doctor who isn't being led around by a pharmaceutical or insurance company, and protect yourself. Nobody else is going to look out for you except you.

#540 of 1016 Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm sure it's probably listed in this thread somewhere but what are some natural ways to treat hypothyroidism?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page