The Thyroid Thread - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#571 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
Oprah's show today, right now on the east coast is on THYROID and Menopause. Going to watch it...
My thyroid group has been writing to Oprah for years trying to get her to do a show.

I am disappointed that Dr. Northrup is one of her guests, as she is a big soy pusher and soy is known to be bad for thyroid patients.

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it something you just manage or is it something you cure?
Transformed, I think it can be cured, depending on the cause. I started my reading at ithyroid.com (but I admit, it's a big site, and maybe not as easy to navigate as one would like). The guy who put up the site took a self-treatment approach and gathered a lot of research and put up a list of vitamins/minerals that should, essentially, feed the thyroid what it needs to work well again. That said, and although that approach actually made me feel a whole lot better, other health problems had me ending up at a healthcare provider who said that my thyroid problems (and other stuff) were more fundamentally related to the mercury in my fillings (which subsequently started messing up the minerals in my body... etc). Other people have different causes, but at least one other person in this thread (um, what's her name? search the thread for alternative M.D., that's what she ended up with) have also treated (temporarily, not taking pills forever) with vitamins/minerals.
#573 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Oprah show was a might bit disappointing in the thyroid area, but I'm sitting there thinking OMG I'm only 32 and I'm just likes these women over 35 and 40!!! OMG I'm too young to be this old...

Soy pusher or not, I think that docs book might be a good read with something to gleen from it. Any MD that talks Chankras has got to have something worth wild to read, IMO.

I wrote to Oprah's show once to get her to put Celiac Disease on there -- nope.

#574 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Oprah show was a might bit disappointing in the thyroid area, but I'm sitting there thinking OMG I'm only 32 and I'm just likes these women over 35 and 40!!! OMG I'm too young to be this old...

Soy pusher or not, I think that docs book might be a good read with something to gleen from it. Any MD that talks Chankras has got to have something worth wild to read, IMO.

I wrote to Oprah's show once to get her to put Celiac Disease on there -- nope.
I'm going to set the DVR for the show anyway. I'm sitting here re-reading The Whole Soy Story and getting pissed off all over again. :

I wish I had the energy and the resources to grow and raise all my own food. I'm doing all I can as it is, but it may not be enough.

#575 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM

With all the crazy dieting Oprah has done in her life and probably turned to the soy craze herself, I am not suprised at all when she started the show today by saying she's been tired, etc. And then saying her thyroid was shot. Hmmm, adrenals??? Oh and she fixed it herself??? yeah, right, she has put on some weight too. I noticed that the last time I saw her show, I'm not a show fan.

You don't fix a thryoid problem in a month or two, not IME. And turning to ONLY that doc will definitely not be the 1 stop shop for a cure.

I think I would bet money she is taking thyroid meds.
#576 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post

No more concerned than I am with people putting pregnant horse urine in their bodies via birth control pills and estrogen replacements, or genetically modified crapola like soy and corn that is in virtually any food you buy that you don't make from scratch, or the chemicals that are in our air and water, or the gazillion other harmful things that we consume every day that should have never been approved by the FDA. : In fact, I'm a lot less concerned since this illness was probably caused by all of those things.

Once you start researching this, you will be reading for the rest of your life.
I just finished Fight for Your Health:Exposing the FA's Betrayal of America.

Everyone who has or suspects hypothyroid should read books about the FDA, and The Whole Soy Story.

It is not a coincidence that so many started getting sick when they started putting soy into our food, flouride in our water, and thimerisol into our children. It's all related. It is also no coincidence that so many stayed sick when they introduced synthetic thyroid hormones as the preferred treatment. It's big business disguised as progress and it's costing people their health and their lives.
It already stresses me out, and I havent even done that much reading on the evils of all that stuff! I know just enough to be pissed off alot.

What do they site as the cause of putting all that in our bodies? Total mind control? : I know, I know-its messed up...just like for profit health care, my #1 evil right now. :

I am in a yahoo group-I'll go back over there and visit soon...or it might be an andrenal fatigue one.

I think I would like to get a copy of my test results before my doc appointment so I can try and decypher them myself and have something intelligent to say to try to work with the doc.

I dont know if he will give me medicine without the test results saying I need it. It seems like it could be a huge liability for the doctor? I can understand that-people sue for EVERYTHING.

I dont even know if I can take this stuff while pregnant or nursing anyways!

I am visualizing a day when I am happy, and not yelling at my kids for no reason, and my brain doesnt feel like it only works 5% of the time. I know that day is near!
#577 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
With all the crazy dieting Oprah has done in her life and probably turned to the soy craze herself, I am not suprised at all when she started the show today by saying she's been tired, etc. And then saying her thyroid was shot. Hmmm, adrenals??? Oh and she fixed it herself??? yeah, right, she has put on some weight too. I noticed that the last time I saw her show, I'm not a show fan.

You don't fix a thryoid problem in a month or two, not IME. And turning to ONLY that doc will definitely not be the 1 stop shop for a cure.

I think I would bet money she is taking thyroid meds.
I would also bet she's taking a synthetic, and she's still eating a bunch of soy. With all her money, she could see any doctor she wanted.

For a woman who is so accomplished she does a lot of stupid things. I remember being so mad when she admitted she'd smoked crack with a boyfriend that I stopped watching the show for years. I still get irritated with her fairly often and I rarely watch. She just seems so out of touch with reality sometimes.

#578 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
It already stresses me out, and I havent even done that much reading on the evils of all that stuff! I know just enough to be pissed off alot.

What do they site as the cause of putting all that in our bodies? Total mind control? : I know, I know-its messed up...just like for profit health care, my #1 evil right now. :

I am in a yahoo group-I'll go back over there and visit soon...or it might be an andrenal fatigue one.

I think I would like to get a copy of my test results before my doc appointment so I can try and decypher them myself and have something intelligent to say to try to work with the doc.

I dont know if he will give me medicine without the test results saying I need it. It seems like it could be a huge liability for the doctor? I can understand that-people sue for EVERYTHING.

I dont even know if I can take this stuff while pregnant or nursing anyways!

I am visualizing a day when I am happy, and not yelling at my kids for no reason, and my brain doesnt feel like it only works 5% of the time. I know that day is near!
This is exactly why I'm so angry. I have had to learn everything myself. I found the yahoo group on my own, and the internet literally saved my life.

I have gone to so many bad doctors, and I have missed out on so much because of bad health that was caused by bad medicine and big business poisoning me and millions of others.

I'm mad as hell and I'm tired of being told that I'm paranoid. Anyone who isn't paranoid isn't paying attention. They are killing us slowly while they grow rich. The more research I do, the more bad stuff I learn.

Read your labels when you go to the store. Google the stuff you can't identify and see what it is. It doesn't make sense for people who are concerned about the garbage that is in vaccines to put the garbage that is in processed foods into their bodies, does it?

We can't trust big business to protect any interests but their own. And pharmaceuticals and food are very big business. Hypothyroidism and your quality of life are collateral damage.

#579 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:45 PM

btw-thank you for "stopthethyroidmadness.com" this is an AMAZING website!!!
#580 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
This is exactly why I'm so angry. I have had to learn everything myself. I found the yahoo group on my own, and the internet literally saved my life.

I have gone to so many bad doctors, and I have missed out on so much because of bad health that was caused by bad medicine and big business poisoning me and millions of others.

I'm mad as hell and I'm tired of being told that I'm paranoid. Anyone who isn't paranoid isn't paying attention. They are killing us slowly while they grow rich. The more research I do, the more bad stuff I learn.

Read your labels when you go to the store. Google the stuff you can't identify and see what it is. It doesn't make sense for people who are concerned about the garbage that is in vaccines to put the garbage that is in processed foods into their bodies, does it?

We can't trust big business to protect any interests but their own. And pharmaceuticals and food are very big business. Hypothyroidism and your quality of life are collateral damage.
Soy is EVERYWHERE.

So have you managed to manage your thyroid stuff?

Do you feel healthy yet?
#581 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Soy is EVERYWHERE.

So have you managed to manage your thyroid stuff?

Do you feel healthy yet?
I go up and down. I had an amazing doctor but we moved.
I also just found out that smoking raises cortisol, which helps your thyroid homone get into your system and work properly, so when I quit smoking and suddenly gained weight overnight and my symptoms came back, it was because of the drop in cortisol.

I'm now dosing with hydrocortisone and trying to get my adrenals back in shape but it's a long process. I'm getting better slowly but I swear if dh wasn't so anti smoking I'd go buy cigarettes right now. :

I'm seeing an improvement but I'm not right yet. I'm fanatical about watching what I eat. I just found a naturopath in a nearby town, so I may give her a try. We don't have the option of ordering our own tests in our state and I'm not going to waste any more time on endos, so it's either find a naturopath or fly somewhere. I have plenty of thyroid meds for a while so I don't have to go searching for a prescription any time soon.

#582 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM

I have my GYN ordering the tests I want. So far, so good. He really seems geniunely interested in helping me. It's a first for me, a doctor who seems to truly care. He even says he can fix my bladder problems... Wouldn't that be great! I didn't even tell him I had a bladder problem, he figured it out when I had a vaginal u/s recently and my bladder was not empty after I just went -- it's the story of my life, I travel with a toilet.
#583 of 1016 Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM

What do you think?

A week ago I started taking a tiny dose (less than 15mg) of thyroxine (australian equivalent of synthroid). I am also taking selenium, tyrosine, B12, D3 and a pregnancy multi. My iodine levels are fine.

Anyway, the last couple of days I've felt awful. I've skipped 2 days of work because i feel so depressed and miserable. I haven't slept properly for 3 nights now and subsequently I have a horrible headache.

Do you think it's the thyroxine?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#584 of 1016 Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM

I hope you dont mind me asking, but what challenges have you all faces in your ability to parent your children?

What has medicine improved for you, and what hasnt it?

I am curious how thyroid issues have shaped your parenting.
#585 of 1016 Old 10-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Well, the fatigue, irritability and depression obviously make it more difficult. I feel like the kids are short changed because I used to be so energetic and fun, and now I'm not. With every improvement things get a little better, but I often feel like I'll never really be me again, and I don't like it that their memories will be of this sickly, lethargic, cranky person I've become.

#586 of 1016 Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM

http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/257479.htm

Apparently I wasn't the only one disappointed in Oprah's thyroid show.

#587 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 AM

I wonder if my blood sugars not being so great are related. I've gotten fasting sugar at or near 100 and that has never happened before. I'm usually 60 to 80.

My body is falling apart and I hate this, I'm too young.

I need an over haul. I'm in prediabetes, I just know it. My mother was close to my age.

As for the letter from Mary Shomon and Dr. Northrups words --
Quote:
"In many women thyroid dysfunction develops because of an energy blockage in the throat region, the result of a lifetime of 'swallowing' words one is aching to say. In the name of preserving harmony, or because these women have learned to live as relatively helpless members of their families or social groups, they have learned to stifle their self-expression....It's no coincidence that so many more women than men have thyroid problems. Thyroid disease is related to expressing your feelings..."
I happen to think there is some relavance about Chankras and diseases in the body. I know for a fact I "swallowed" words and allowed my ILs to live in our home for 5 1/2 years of our lives to keep the "peace" between my dh and I. I suppressed every rage, unkind thought, and kept my mouth shut about the drinking & prescriptions drugs they did, the smoking, the smoking of illegal substances, the watching of TV and movies in front of our very young children inappropriate for our children (Dogma for one), they lack of respect for our home, our parenting values, etc.

So when I read this above quote I know that at my tender age of 32, those 5 1/2 yrs of living hell probably had something to do with breaking down my body. But not the only thing by any means. It does not work that way in my head. Now, how to heal from it...
#588 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/257479.htm

Apparently I wasn't the only one disappointed in Oprah's thyroid show.
Am I missing something? I cant find a thyroid show....and I tape every single Oprah!

I watched a show on menopause but there was like 2 words said about thyroid...

I am going to recheck my DVR.

IMO, if it raises awareness, its good for the cause, even if the info isnt completley 100%.
#589 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Energy --

I had a 3 minute burst of energy this morning at 10:30ish. It didn't last. I got my laundry sort of put away. It was the best 3 minutes I've had in a long time.

I know a supplement routine takes time to build up to a good level, especially when dealing with deficiencies which I'm nearly certain I do have and 100% certain on iron.

I took my regular Synthroid when I wake up. And I took 10 minutes before this burst, 3 L tryosine instead of the 2 I had been taking. When I was pregnant I was taking 4. And it took about 45 days to start to feel right.

Oh... I guess my next dosing hour I will take 4. I didn't want to take so many with the Synthroid... I just don't think the Synthroid is cutting it, it's like I might as well not even take it, especially if I have to spend the money on L-tyrosine anyway.

I'm playing with fire and I know it, but all I have is a GYN who will script me drugs. He just isn't able to guide me to better living. Maybe when my T3 comes in that will be all I need. I display so many symptoms of simply T3 problems.

Better living is what I want. I want to have the energy to clean my house, play with my children, get back into the kitchen and bake for my Celiac sons, do extra things I like to do, I'm just a vegatable all day these days living in blah zone...
#590 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Am I missing something? I cant find a thyroid show....and I tape every single Oprah!

I watched a show on menopause but there was like 2 words said about thyroid...

I am going to recheck my DVR.

IMO, if it raises awareness, its good for the cause, even if the info isnt completley 100%.
That's it exactly. It was touted as her big revelation about her thyroid disorder, and instead she has on a doctor who tells us to take a bubble bath and masturbate and we'll be fine. : She barely talked about her thyroid at all, and if you look at her, her face shows all the signs of hypo since last year. All of her features are thicker since last year, her eyes appear smaller and puffy, the difference between recent photos and those from last year are exactly like those from women in my thyroid group. She didn't mention what she takes, but I would bet a bunch of money she is on a synthetic, and still ingesting lots of soy, because Dr. Northrup is a soy fan.

The whole thing makes me sick.

Click on the link and read the letter so you understand what we are talking about. Mary spelled it all out.

#591 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
What do you think?

A week ago I started taking a tiny dose (less than 15mg) of thyroxine (australian equivalent of synthroid). I am also taking selenium, tyrosine, B12, D3 and a pregnancy multi. My iodine levels are fine.

Anyway, the last couple of days I've felt awful. I've skipped 2 days of work because i feel so depressed and miserable. I haven't slept properly for 3 nights now and subsequently I have a horrible headache.

Go to the sites and read, and decide for yourself. I always think its the synthetic that is the problem.

#592 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
What do you think?

It would make sense on the time line. A week ago, 7 days started thryoxine, 3 to 4 days into it you started to feel aweful. Sleep is the big suggestion that the thyroxine might not be right for you.

But when did you start the other supplements?

Are you taking the pregi mutli b/c you are pregnant?

I did not have any major change in symptoms taking the low dose of Synthroid. In fact, I'd like to feel something, anything (good or bad) would be better than nothing.

What was your dx based on? I have been enlightened by reading up on Wilson's Syndrome and the T3 hormone. I think that is my missing key.
#593 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM

An ah ha moment...

Cravings are signals to me that I need something I'm not getting nutritionally.

Ice crunching = Iron need
Chocolate = Magnesium

And I just figured out why I crave potatos and I had a serious craving for them in my pregnancy

Potatos = Potassium
(same for bananas, but I don't usually crave those)

And potassium increases cellular responsse to T3, which I know I don't have enough of.
#594 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
An ah ha moment...

Cravings are signals to me that I need something I'm not getting nutritionally.

Ice crunching = Iron need
Chocolate = Magnesium

And I just figured out why I crave potatos and I had a serious craving for them in my pregnancy

Potatos = Potassium
(same for bananas, but I don't usually crave those)

And potassium increases cellular responsse to T3, which I know I don't have enough of.
Hey-where did you get those? I need a list of cravings!!!! I eat some things until I feel like I am going to throw up! (And I crave certain foods at certain times)

Also, I need a magic nutritional pill to temporarily fix my isssues. I quit Omega3's because they were torture to swallow and I took them for a month with no changes in cognative function. Swallowing pills makes me gag just thinking about it. I can hardly get myself to take my prentals.

Or even the liquid iron/b vitiman.

Anyone have anything magical that will help me get through my day?

(Besides not drinking starbucks for breakfast and eating mcdonalds for lunch. Those were bad ideas....oops....there goes my day!)
#595 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM

ithryoid.com has some supplements and how they affect the body that is where I had my ah ha moment for potassium

Iron and ice is a pregnancy myth thing that happens to be true for millions
Chocolate and magesium was something I came across in the last few years, don't remember where.

If I have enough magnesium, I don't crave chocolate. It can sit in front of me and I won't eat it and if I do it taste bad and I think why did I even eat that. And I LOVE chocolate.

There are some vitamins that are in liquid forms, look in a HFS, but it isn't going to be enough to rebuild deficiencies and you risk in a multi getting too much of one thing and not enough of another. The supplement route is not a quick fix. IT takes time for your body to build back it's depleated state and benefit from the supplements. Some like Dr. Mercola do not believe in supplements, personally, if your body needs them, your body needs them...

Also, how much Omega 3s were you taking? It takes more than the recommended dose to have benefits when you are deficient. And more than 1 month I'm afraid.

Are you pregnant?

And the swallowing pills is a clear sign to me that your thyroid is enlarged and it has enlarged into your throat and not outward. I have read that a doc will not feel an enlarged thyroid at times b/c it has not grown to the place they are feeling. I feel like something is in my throat all the time and it's not getting better, it's getting worse.
#596 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:

And the swallowing pills is a clear sign to me that your thyroid is enlarged and it has enlarged into your throat and not outward. I have read that a doc will not feel an enlarged thyroid at times b/c it has not grown to the place they are feeling. I feel like something is in my throat all the time and it's not getting better, it's getting worse.
OMG! Symptoms that no one even bothers to ASK about!

I have thought this is weird, because when I started taking pills by swallowing them (I dont remember when-when do kids usually do this? age 8 or so?) I was a PRO-I could swallow 5 of them at the same time,

Its only recently that I am choking and gagging on them. WOW.

I am pregnant. My dose was....

2000mg fish oil concentrate
1000mg epa
150 mg dha
#597 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 04:42 PM

The other symptoms that no one tells you and it is a big one --

Hypothryoidism can cause malabsorption of the nutrients you do take in. It is a vicious cycle.

I know I suffered with this during my last pregnancy. And it messed everything up. My prolactin levels were so low I had trouble producing enough bm and now he is weaned at 8 mo old and he was FTT at 4 mo old. My GYN told me for whatever reason this time I would just not have the milk -- I read that hypothryoid can affect milk supply. He consulted w a reproductive endo on my behalf and they were both very sorry.

I encourage you to get it under control now to avoid the pain of a terrible bfing problem.

When I was pregnant I read The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. I did take her supplement program in the book and carefully researched it all to decide if I felt comfortable during pregnancy to take them. It took 45 days to start to feel better. I also knew I would probably benefit from medication for my thryoid, but hbing w non-licensed mw makes that difficult.

So, now I'm on meds. I'm not 100% and I've gone back to Julia Ross's routine, plus I'm working through Mary Shomon's The Thyroid Diet. My concentrations levels are not so good. I have to get that up so I can "get" what it is that I'm reading.

At first reading all this thyroid stuff was daunting, well, it still is at times. I have had to educate myself about my ds2's Celiac Disease and that was easy compared to this.

It seems to me that the imbalance of the thyroid throws everything else out of balance. But I'm not sure the thyroid is the gatekeeper, so to speak. IT's hard to hit the entire endocrine system at once, yet that seems to be the way to do it.

I'm iffy about my adrenals being affected and now add to it all higher than my own personal normal fasting blood sugars -- OIY...
#598 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 PM

Have you ever tried alfalfa? My DO told me it helps with absorption. I take it for...well I guess for that reasosn. Plus it makes me not get all swollen because I dont drink enough water. :
#599 of 1016 Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM

The HFS herbalist told me to take chollorfil -- can't bring myself to drink it, it's green...
#600 of 1016 Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

I've read some of this thread.

My brief story: I HAVE HUGE MILK SUPPLY ISSUES. I do everything...supplements (blessed thistle, fenugreek, mother's milk tea, brewer's yeast---altogether almost 40 pills a day), pump after feeding, pumping extra times during the night as baby sleeps 6-7 hours (so i pump in between), tried a SNS, Domperidone (now up to 120mg a day). Someone finally said "have you checked your thyroid?"

It had never occurred to me before. In fact, it was Dr. Jack Newman whom I had emailed and gotten the question from.

Then I started reading about hypothyroidism. And it's me.

I had a blood draw yesterday for the tests.

Did anyone ever hope that it WAS their thyroid? I WANT to be sick. Probably because I need an answer so I can get onto recovery. And while low breastmilk supply is what I have been battling first, I do have many other symptoms of hypothyroidism. I never imagined I could get rid of those too--I have the "it's just because I have a newborn and other kids to take care of" way of disregarding symptoms.

I'm glad someone decided to make this one big thread. Thanks mamas!

4 kids under 10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page