The Thyroid Thread - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#661 of 1016 Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

Ok so I've been lurking for a few days...this thread is HUGE.
So, a couple of weeks ago I was feeling really moody swingy and I was concerned that I might be developing ppd. I started seeing a counseler. Well, I was reading some threads on ppd and was recommended to check thyroid. Last Wednesday I visited the dr, asking for my throid test and iron levels. Well......I am hypothyroid.

My labs are
HSH 7.5 in a range of .3 - 5.5
Free Thyroxine .79 in a range of .9 - 1.8

So, my dr precribed .05mg oral Levothroid. She wants me to come in in 8 weeks and retest.

So, I'm wondering what other supplements would be helpful for a breastfeeding mama. I am also wondering if it's worth it for me to ask my precription to be switched to Amour Thyroid. It seems that everyone seems to do better with this medication? Finally, is it recommended to see an endocrinologist at this stage?

TIA

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 of 1016 Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
*subbing here
I've been dx'ed with borderline hypothyroid by my nature doc and he has given me Armour plus taking a drop of iodine and two drops of selenium once a day in some water. And acupuncture to help the liver metabolize it all.

I honestly like the Armour...it's cheap, it's natural, (though not acceptable if you are vegan). It seems to help a lot.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#663 of 1016 Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 AM

I need some advice for dealing with an allopathic doctor. I saw a PA yesterday and she refused to do most of the testing I asked for, even though her office does offer all but the saliva test for adrenals. If neccessary I'll order the rest of the testing myself, but I'd like to get the insurance to cover as much as possible. I called the endo in town and his office said that they wouldn't test my thyroid, that a pcp would need to do that. I also called several chiro offices and they sound wonderful, but only do muscle testing instead of blood tests. I really want to get the blood/saliva tests.

On Monday I have an appointment with an osteopath that I have seen before and who was very nice at that time. I'm looking for help getting my "ammo" ready. Here are my talking points so far:

I have hyperemesis again and am taking a class C medication to avoid extended hospital stays. Therefore I would like to have these tests done to look for the root cause.

I have signs of low thyroid: lots of brain fog, trouble sleeping, low temperature since before getting pregnant, low T3 level, but need the rest of the thyroid testing.

Adrenal fatigue has been shown to sometimes be connected to hyperemesis so I especially want to test for this. (I'll bring some info about the saliva test, using dessicated adrenal, and point out that sometimes hyperemesis is successfully treated with corticosteroids).

I want a vitamin and mineral test, partly to look for thyroid/adrenal related defficiencies, and partly because I likely have defficiencies due to the hyperemesis.

Any suggestions? I'll see an ND if neccessary, I just would like a western doc to sign for testing since insurance would cover it then.
TIA!

:::

#664 of 1016 Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 AM

IF you don't have luck with a reg doc, applied kinesiology is that muscle testing, and there is something to it.

I already had my blood tests and I went to see a compounding pharmacist about my ds's medication which I didn't want him on in the first place. The pharmacist was out and this chiropractor from next door was in. He asked me to come over to see him, so I did.

He did the AP muscle testing and said your thyroid is problematic, your hormones as in female system hormones, and nothing else. All of this was true to medical blood labs, yet he didn't know that, he had never seen me before and he didn't ask, he simply started the muscle testing.

His answer to my ds3's reflux medication was to give me supplements which would go to my bm in theory and although he never had before, told me to give the baby some of 2 of the supplements. I did and the reflux went away in 36 hours, magic... It has not returned, but I do keep giving the supplement every other day or so now.

Now, my thryoid was not cured so quickly, but I would not expect it to be. It is a work in progress between this chiropractor and his nutrition guidance with my GYN's medications. However the point of my story -- I would never have done AP if I hadn't been brought in off the street (the office secretary refers to me as the client off the street, it's funny). I thought AP was hoaky, before this experience I that Quack Watch was probably right. I do not think this any more.

He did tell me my pituitary was not involved, I was unable to get a blood test for it and it concerned me. He also did tell me my pancreas was not involved as this also concerned me after reading about the insulin connection to thyroid and adreanals. My adreanals and other endocrin areas were also not affected. I didn't ask for these answers, it was part of his exam. He could not tell me specifics about free t4 and free t3 levels obviously, but he did nail it that my thyroid was under distress and not working properly for me.

A chiropractor isn't going to be able to prescribe medications for you. If your thyroid is only mildly sluggish then I think a nutrition approach can restore function without medication. My reading is Julia Ross for this information. Good nutrition and supplementation with vital and likely deficient minerals and vitamins along with some herbs and even things like bovine spleen, might work for some people. (Standard Process supplements from the chiro I saw have some very strange things in them like bovine spleen, bovine pancreas, etc I'm not 100% sure on the supposed effect of these things, I'm still researching).
#665 of 1016 Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM

My Cytomel is in... I have to go to the PostOffice to pick it up. Our mail in prescription company needs signature confirmation and I was picking the littles up yesterday when the mail came by. So now I have to drag 4 children into the PO to pick the package up... UGH.

I opted for this verses Armour only b/c I have many days worth of Synthroid and I'd rather not throw it away and send $$ down the drain -- if the two together work.

I should know in about 2 or 3 days if the addition of T3 is a good or bad thing for me. I'm hoping good and not bad, I don't need to feel worse KWIM...
#666 of 1016 Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM

One of the problems I have with Armour thyroid is that it has only one ratio of T3 to T4. If you need more or less T3, then you are out of luck. The other thing is the half-life of T3 in the body is very short - anywhere from 3/4 day to 1-2 days, but it's time to action is much shorter than that.. probably a couple of hours. (The half-life of T4 in the body is 6-7 days, and it's time to action is longer as it requires bodily action to lose an iodine ion to convert to T3.) Because of the fast action of T3, it may be wise to take T3 in divided dose(s) during the day, rather than just once. However, it's really only necessary to take T4 once during the day - though I suppose you could take it in divided dose(s) if you wanted to.
Aside from those technical issues, there are also the usual religious, hygiene, or humane reasons why someone would not want to take anything derived from a pig.

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#667 of 1016 Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Well pig does not bother me...
Anyway, I cut the pills in half, took half this afternoon and felt nothing. In fact I almost fell asleep trying to get dinner on the table.
I'll try again tomorrow and probably won't up the dose on myself until Monday. I came across a woman I know who had a very bad reaction to T3 and her adreanals were exhausted. I do not believe my adreanals are affected, but in the off chance the chiropractor was wrong (I could only get a medical test for cortisol levels in my urine), I'm taking it easy.
So in the AM i'll take my regular Synthroid which is probably too low of a dose and I'll take 1/2 of the Cytomel dose.

I understand that T3 is easily absorbed by the intestinal track and T4 is not, is it advisable to use Synthroid sublingual? I do know ppl do that with Armour.
#668 of 1016 Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Well,

I spoke with my dr about the diffrences of one or the other.... She says that it's easier to regulate the amount of thyroid hormone in synthetically manufactured drugs. She also was concerned about injesting glandular tissue from an animal, in the wake of BSE in cows. She is from the UK, so I guess she's more sensitive to this issue.
I've decided to stick with the synthetic thryroid meds and if I feel the need to change later then I'll look for another dr.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#669 of 1016 Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin'smom View Post
Well,

I spoke with my dr about the diffrences of one or the other.... She says that it's easier to regulate the amount of thyroid hormone in synthetically manufactured drugs. She also was concerned about injesting glandular tissue from an animal, in the wake of BSE in cows. She is from the UK, so I guess she's more sensitive to this issue.
I've decided to stick with the synthetic thryroid meds and if I feel the need to change later then I'll look for another dr.
FWIW, that is standard garbage docs hand out when you ask for natural thyroid hormones. In fact, synthetics have been recalled more often for various problems, which is the exact opposite of what most endos tell patients.

If you want synthetics because you are a vegetarian, that's fine. But it isn't natural, and the 'regulation' reason isn't really valid.

for intuitive readings click here :
#670 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
She also was concerned about injesting glandular tissue from an animal, in the wake of BSE in cows.
Armour, for example, is from pig, not cow. Synthetic is also more expensive, and not really all that easy to regulate in some people, watching my MIL go through this and finally finally getting her doc to switch her to Armour. Armour I can get without insurance for 12 US dollars. If you wish to avoid because you are vegan or vegetarian or have other religious or ethic concerns, sure, understandable, but honestly I think too your doc is feeding you some BS.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#671 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the advice.
Do you think Armour is better than the synthetic versions?

TIA

#672 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin'smom View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Do you think Armour is better than the synthetic versions?

TIA
YES!

read the personal accounts at stop the thyroid madness or the yahoo group naturalthyroidhormones.

Most of us who made the switch noticed a difference immediately. It's shameful the way they push the synthetic when the natural works so much better.

#673 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
YES!
It's shameful the way they push the synthetic when the natural works so much better.
Not only that, but it's cheaper, so you'd think that more docs would be interested in it!

#674 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Not only that, but it's cheaper, so you'd think that more docs would be interested in it!
Ah, but you have to follow the money. The people who make synthetics wine and dine doctors to get them to prescribe their product. They spend a lot of money to make money.

A friend clued me in to the way they keep track of this stuff. The pharmacy rep visits the doctor with free samples, maybe takes them to dinner, and sometimes the company even hosts seminars in vacation spots so the doctor can write off a trip to, say, Hawaii as a business trip. When that doctor writes a prescription, he puts a number on the prescription pad (or the pad itself is numbered) that lets the company know which doctor and which rep are responsible for that drug being sold. That's how they know who is selling big and who is pushing their products onto patients. (ETA-my friend tells me she thinks they have made the trips a thing of the past, but for many years that was another benefit the doctors had for pushing certain drugs.)

And then you have the pharmaceutical companies' money going to medical schools and grants. It's a big incentive for doctors to prescribe drugs made by the companies that help them out financially. It ought to be illegal.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=17455991
http://medicine.plosjournals.org/per...c05a7adce7bcda
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=17356984
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...800896_pf.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...201991,00.html

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Moms here can see through the way big business tries to push vaccinations on us, and how they try to market so many things that we just don't need. Why isn't it obvious that big pharma, in partnership with the FDA, is also in the business of selling us products we don't need at an inflated price?

#675 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Banned

Wow, a lot of information to digest and I really appreciate this thread.

I believe I have hypOthyroidism -- it took me a couple of years of everyone thinking I was crazy and two doctors to tell me I wasn't (without testing) because I wasn't hyper and sweating and slim --- they thought I was telling them I suspected hyPERthyroidism (I wasn't, I clearly said hypO, underactive)

Anyway, I was on synthroid for a while but then they only did check my tsh --- of course now I know that is not at all accurate (even before this thread, but this thread has shed a WHOLE lot of light!!) ---

My pregnancy I was upped from .50 synthroid to .75 (I think that is right, it was a lowish dose) and had a super great pregnancy and perfect homebirth....

BUT.... my supply was NON EXSISTENT. I can really relate to electra's comment:

Quote:
Yeah, I hoped it was my thyroid -- otherwise I'm a fat, non-milk producing failure!
The thing that sucked and was so painful was that according to my tsh my thyroid levels were *normal* with the synthroid and I was not producing ANY milk --- the breastfeeding failure is something that continues to haunt me to this day concerning my daughter -- I tried everything to produce milk and here I thought, it can't be related to my thyroid because my levels are "normal" --- well now I know that is crap

Anyway, my question is, I have been off any medication for about two years and I am beginning to have symptoms that are more pronounced -- mainly thinning hair, low energy, weight gain/difficulty losing weight -- I can't tell whether my throat is swollen or not, I don't know what to be feeling for exactly --

I want to take a nutritional approach and we don't have insurance (or money ) to go to the doctor and get all these tests ordered (my dh is a music teacher, no insurance) --- but according to my last thyroid test --- man if I can even remember --- TSH was 20 or something? Does that ring a bell? I could be way off -- way back then I was just too hell bent on someone BELIEVING me about my symptoms that I didn't do a lot of research into tests/meds etc.

We are strict vegetarians and have just given up soy so I hope that helps -- but then that also gives me a moral opposition to the Armour -- which even if I did take, wouldn't take until I could get proper testing for all that you mamas mentioned ---

We were considering taking CLO for vitamin d and omega 3s and sure people may say what is the difference between a pig and a cod -- but for some reason to us there is and also even deciding to take the CLO would be a huge step for me ethically (please understand ) ...

Ah, so what else should I be doing nutritionally -- is the iodine patch test accurate? I don't know as I could be defficient, it could go either way -- I don't think we eat a lot of iodine rich foods, I can't stand kelp, tastes too fishy to me --

We switched to cast iron and have upped our non-heme iron a lot and take it with vitamin c to help absorption, as I know non-heme iron is not absorbed as well

we have begun magnesium baths

I have begun a multi vitamin with what I believe is all natural vitamins except for the ones are only found in animal sources --- hence the decision to maybe begin CLO

- Separate vitamin B support

( I am saying *we* because many of these things we are doing already for some nutritional imbalances I believe dd age 2 may be experiencing unrelated to thyroid)

I did read some of the suggested web sites/nutritional/natural sites and they have been very informative and wonderful and thank you all....

I am sorry I am all over the place, just trying to make sense of this!

I am very much supportive of natural, homeopathic/naturopathic/nutritional healing and when we can afford a doctor and tests (whether through insurance or cash-pay) can someone tell me *exactly* what to ask for? Like give me a dialogue --

"Hi, I have a thyroid issue and I need X, Y, Z tests"

Thanks in advance!
#676 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 04:13 PM

go to stop the thyroid madness dot com and read read read.

go join natural thyroid hormones at yahoo groups and start asking questions and again read read read.

there are ways to get tests done if your doctor won't cooperate. there are ways to get supplements and natural thyroid if you can't get a prescription. It's more expensive, but it can be done. There are sites where you can search for a better doctor.

It's a pain, but when so many things are working against us, we don't have any other choice but to do the legwork ourselves.

#677 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Thank you for your quick response, I have gotten a lot of information from this thread, your posts have been especially helpful

I have been eating all the wrong foods too! In addition to soy (which I recently gave up) I do eat spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peaches and pears --- like almost all the foods they say suppress thyroid function whoops....

I also don't believe I get enough iodine -- looking at my sea salt, it isn't iodine rich --- well, one good thing I did was to stop flouride toothpaste months ago, but now I realize my filter probably isn't filtering it from the water! AH... my book on nutritional healing says to drink steam distilled water.... does that not have flouride? Do I buy it?

I see a lot of people mentioning progesterone and hyrocortisone (sp) --- how do these help?

Thank you again for all your info!
#678 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM

I just recently switched to Armour thyroid and I now have a normal body temperature for the first time in... I literally don't even remember how long. I am still exhausted but I have a 10 month old baby who is a horrible sleeper!
#679 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM

Here are the test results that I got from the PA:

TSH 1.54 Range .45-4.67
Free T3 2.9, 2.4-4.2
Free T4 .89, .71-1.85
Ferritin 21, 12-200
Progesterone 20.6, 22.5-95.3 for 2nd tri preg(which I am)

It was like pulling teeth to even get her to authorize these tests! And of course she wrote a note on the results saying everything is normal. These results explain why I'm having so many symptoms besides nausea and vomiting. On Monday I see an Osteopath in the hopes that he will be open to the rest of the testing I need. I especially want to see what my anitbodies are, I want to make sure they are ok before starting iodine etc. I also need to read more at sttm to see about treatment options.

:::
#680 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Moms here can see through the way big business tries to push vaccinations on us, and how they try to market so many things that we just don't need. Why isn't it obvious that big pharma, in partnership with the FDA, is also in the business of selling us products we don't need at an inflated price?
Absolutely!!! No one has to tell me this more than the first time.

For me, I'm using synthetic b/c that is what I was prescribed and it seemed to do okay at first. So I got a script for 1 yr from my doc. Now I have a lot of synthroid and I now know I need something more, ie T3 help. It's cheaper for me to use what I have and add Cytomel and when I'm out try Armour and see how that goes. So that is the plan... If only I had just asked for Armour to start with, gyn guy probably would have done it for me.

I'm 3 1/2 does in w Cytomel added and I feel a little better, I'm not holding my breath, sometimes it could just be mind over body. I'm giving it until Monday at this dose.

I need to go in for my PAP, so I can discuss all this then and possibly get a script for Armour, but he just gave me the script for the Synthroid. I hate to "bug" him.

For Captain Crunchy, I'll have to read your post but really quick, sometimes an online pharmacy from outside the US will have better prices than even your co-pay if you had insurance. I came across this for myself. I'm also from Latin America and have had access to non-US made medications and feel for me they are safe.

The best advice I can give you is to read my most favorite books by Julia Ross The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure. I found The Diet Cure at my local library and I later purchased both for my own library. If I had to own just 1, it would be The Diet Cure. Solidly the best book on thyroid I've read. Books by Mary Shomon are also good, but The Diet Cure goes into more natural approaches to healing I think.
#681 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Hi, all...
Just to offer a different perspective, I have been on levoxyl and a seperate t4 (compounded to be time released) for a few years, and feel much better than when I was on naturthroid. I find it is much easier to monitor and keep my levels stable. I am very hashimoto's, and have been since I was a small child--and bordering on "national geographic"-style goiter...lol...

Dana
mama to 15 yo Lauren, 9.5 yo Otto, and new little one due in May!
#682 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Thank you for your quick response, I have gotten a lot of information from this thread, your posts have been especially helpful

I have been eating all the wrong foods too! In addition to soy (which I recently gave up) I do eat spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peaches and pears --- like almost all the foods they say suppress thyroid function whoops....

I also don't believe I get enough iodine -- looking at my sea salt, it isn't iodine rich --- well, one good thing I did was to stop flouride toothpaste months ago, but now I realize my filter probably isn't filtering it from the water! AH... my book on nutritional healing says to drink steam distilled water.... does that not have flouride? Do I buy it?

I see a lot of people mentioning progesterone and hyrocortisone (sp) --- how do these help?

Thank you again for all your info!
Hydrocortisone helps if your adrenals are shot and are preventing the thyroid hormone from getting into your system to be used. There is also a natural thyroid hormones adrenals group where a lady named Val can help you a lot with that stuff. Other hormones get out of balance when your thyroid is out of whack, which is why they get mentioned. There are women in the thyroid group who are pretty well versed in the other hormones, they can help you with that information.

Water is really a hard one. Flouride and chlorine are both bad for your thyroid, and they are usually in water supplies, and then you have the problem of bottled water and the whole plastic thing. We have catchment water (rain) and a 3 filter system, and I use glass bottles. I'm also getting ready to buy kleen kanteens for travel.

One thing about it, we are so lucky we are living in this computer age. The internet really did save my life, because if it were not for my online thyroid group, I would be dead from thyroid related illnesses.

#683 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Captin Crunchy -- I have been taking a lot of natural supplements and those alone are rather expensive, more expensive per month than my thyroid meds for 3 months self paying using off shore pharmacies.

Tests -- TSH is rather useless from what many say. However, I think all the tests, useless or not, give a total picture. The TFI is an outdated test, however, it is what prompted my GYN to treat me.

The big tests people ask for --
TSH
Free T4
Free T3
Antibody tests (you'll have to look those initials up, I forgot).

Other tests that are benficial, adrenal tests Cortisol (saliva is suposed to be the best, most MDs use urine) and one other...

Pitutitary function tests, incase your thyroid is related to a pituitary problem.

It gets very confusing, trust me...

If you TSH was 20, you belong on medication IMO. Normal TSH is under 5 and some labs under 2 or 3.

The TSH begins to not be worth anything when you are symptomatic with normal TSH levels -- IE ME!!! That is when the Free T4 and Free T3 started to tell the real picture.

HTH
#684 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Here are the test results that I got from the PA:

TSH 1.54 Range .45-4.67
Free T3 2.9, 2.4-4.2
Free T4 .89, .71-1.85
Ferritin 21, 12-200
Progesterone 20.6, 22.5-95.3 for 2nd tri preg(which I am)

It was like pulling teeth to even get her to authorize these tests! And of course she wrote a note on the results saying everything is normal. These results explain why I'm having so many symptoms besides nausea and vomiting. On Monday I see an Osteopath in the hopes that he will be open to the rest of the testing I need. I especially want to see what my anitbodies are, I want to make sure they are ok before starting iodine etc. I also need to read more at sttm to see about treatment options.

I agree, just b/c they are within the "normal limits" does not mean it's normal for you. My last pregnancy was the worse ever, I was SO sick and I had never been sick before (3 pregnancies before, not ever sick). I think it was b/c my levels were so not normal for me. I was hanging out 1 10th of a percent within normal and the local endo said he would not treat me! No wonder he'd been pulled from the "best thyroid doc" list.
#685 of 1016 Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

Thanks for your info electra -- I may have been wrong about the 20, maybe it was 2 something because they said it was *borderline* so if it were 20, I don't know as I would have been on only 50 of synthroid? Again, this was a couple of years ago so I am fuzzy on the exact details but I do know I was taking just 50mcg of synthroid and in my understanding that is a fairly low dose?

I dunno, I believe I have adrenal issues too so I am off to check out that thread ---

Hubby and I have been under a lot of stress lately... A LOT (of a financial nature) and I notice my symptoms tend to flare during those times so maybe it isn't so much hypothyroidism as it is an adrenal issue interfering with its function?

Really, thank God for the internet. Especially for people who are financially challenged and don't have insurance or even the money to see a doc right now --- or even for people who DO see "good" doctors that tell them a bunch of bs.

At least I feel a bit empowered to do everything in my immediate power to try to support my adrenal system and thyroid until I can get proper testing.

Thanks all!
#686 of 1016 Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

*bump*

A lot of useful information here!
#687 of 1016 Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM

Re: drinking water...
Distilled water may be good to drink for short periods to detox, but I wouldn't do it for too long. It's so deficient of minerals that it pulls them from your body. Good for short detox, bad for long term use. We started with bottled spring water (large 5 gal bottles and a cooler) at first when we got off carbon filtered tap water. Now we finally got a reverse osmosis system installed, and boy is it nice. Your options for fluoride free water are: distilled water, well water, reverse osmosis, and spring water, though not all well and spring water are fluoride free.

Kim
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#688 of 1016 Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Today some of us noticed we couldn't access the stop the thyroid madness page. If you google 'the wayback machine' you can still get there while the owner gets it sorted out.

#689 of 1016 Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 AM

We rent so we haven't put a reverse osmosis system in our home. We get our water from those big filtration machines that they have at the supermarket. The ones we use are reverse osmosis and it's $1.50 for 5 gallons. The only problem is we have to put our water in plastic containers...still trying to figure out how to do it with glass.
#690 of 1016 Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM

I posted a couple of months ago, I think, that my thyroid had been hyper but the treatment plan was to wait and see.

At my last check it TSH had gone from .20 to 1.7 in a month. That was on October 19ish. (I wish I could find my lab sheet, because it had the values for FT4 and FT3. But I know they were in normal range too.) I have positive (reallyreally positive for one of them) antibodies.

Now that the background is all out of the way..

The last few days or so, I've noticed that my eyelashes are constantly getting in my eyes. I have to get at least one out a day. None of my other hair (head, legs, etc.) is falling out like this that I can notice. My milk supply is down too, but AF should be here Wed, so that's not abnormal.

Is this a sign that I might be swinging to hypo? (My mom, grandmother, greatgrandfather all have/had it.) I follow up with my endo again in January, so I don't want to be Chicken Little now.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page