The Thyroid Thread - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#721 of 1016 Old 12-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was reading your posts, I had an "ahha" momoment. I told my dh, no wonder all these years on a daily bases, I crave a bleepin' cigerette. I want to smoke, but resist. I've even cut way back on my caffine use, and just recently read that in black and green (white) teas there is natural fluorine and not suggested for use, or at very minimal use for those with hypo, not sure about hyper. I did notice after the initial wean, that I felt better and my mind felt clearer after I gave up my morning tea.

I so agree, the extreme exaustion just drives me completely batty. I used to be a self motivated individual with the desire to have a nice clean house and doing tons of projects, just for something to do. Now I'm lucky if I get even one room clean and a load of laundry done in a day. I just lack motivation, and the energy to act on what my mind is reeling around about wanting to do. If only I could shut my mind off some times so I can sleep, that would help too.

This has been quite an interesting research. My one and only NY's resolution is to make myself healthier, this is part of the journey.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 1016 Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Tea is also bad for your thyroid. You can't win.

Oh, the wired and tired thing, not being able to shut off and sleep at night is totally adrenal fatigue that comes from being hypo for years.

For years I was so annoyed with people who would ask me Don't you feel so much better since you quit smoking? NO, I don't. If it didn't stink and my DH didn't hate it so much, I"d start again, and that's the honest truth.:

The more research I do, the more things I find I am not supposed to eat or drink. And if one of your hormones (say, thyroid) is out of whack, it's a good bet another one is as well. My generation was put on synthetic hormones as teens because of irregular periods or menstrual cramps, with no hormonal testing done whatsoever. When we decided to stop taking the hormones for whatever reason (in my case supposed sterility) we were left all screwed up. Between daily doses of synthetic hormones from our pills, and the stuff that is in our food and water, it is no wonder we're all messed up in middle age.

But just try getting a doctor to test your hormone levels and correct them with a natural hormone source. : They look at you like you have 2 heads. They hand out the synthetic hormones that mess up your system, but they refuse to test your levels to see what you need? That makes no sense at all. When you finally do get someone to test you, they won't do a thorough set of tests, but rather a haphazard group that doesn't show the complete picture, and then they give you synthetic, frankenstein hormones that don't work properly and cause even more health problems.

Do some research, talk to a doctor about it, and you're a hysterical woman, crazy, or exaggerating your symptoms. It's amazing to me that there are so many of us sharing our stories, joining groups, exchanging doctor's names and even giving up and self treating, yet mainstream medicine refuses to acknowledge the problem with anything other than they're a bunch of crazy women. In my thyroid group there are women who fly to Europe to see doctors because they are so sick of American doctors and their attitude.

Makes me want to blow smoke in their faces, but instead I self treat and keep looking for my perfect naturopath/homeopath/saintly doctor in the meantime.

for intuitive readings click here :
#723 of 1016 Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM

UHHH did you need that vent? I'm feeling you all the way!

#724 of 1016 Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 PM

It's the new year. I'm steeling myself for the annual onslaught of well meaning folks telling me how if I'd just eat more soy I'd feel better.

Since soy is one of the biggest goitrogens there is and it's hidden in most food that you can buy, it's a pet peeve. With my estrogen aggravated migraines, it's a double no-no. : My delete finger is at the ready.

#725 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM

I hear ya, I can not digest soy, it gives me such severe pain that I break out in sweats. The funny thing is, I grew up on a farm and would eat raw soybeans out in the field...how's that for irony. At least we didn't spray our fields or use any chemicals in the soil, it was just a rotation crop choice that we used and sold to our small town grain mill.

I have a friend that dh is diabetic, and she swears by splenda She supports him by eating meals he would be able to eat, so she's eliminated a lot of the bad sugars/starches, but they depend on splenda as a sweetener, and hydrogenated oils (usually soy based). Luckily I'm blessed with good friendship and she doesn't mind I bring my own condiments .

A few weeks ago I got a lecture from a friend about how handling my hypo naturally is dangerous and that the vitamines and such are regulated by FDA which means they aren't safe. She took a pharm class and her professor was very emotional about the dangers of herbs, and health food store supplies. Then she goes on about the great results she was getting on her synthroid. I told her I wasn't ignorant about how to educate myself and choose high quality sources of suppliments. I prefer not to put synthetic anything in my body, so I choose not to take the same route she chose, and left it at that...pass the beans moment.

Well today I'm wondering if I can eat my tree nuts (I know peanuts and cashews are on the no-go list), but wondering about some of my other quick snacking nuts. Brazil nuts are good for us, a great natural source of Selinum, but I need variety. I have to force myself to eat most of the time, so a quick grab of a snack when I realize I've not eaten is best. I've read that pecans can aid in arthritis pain, so perhaps it'll help with other pain as well.

I drank a cup of chamomile infusion (tea) lastnight, first time in years I've had it, not sure why. I was in bed by 9:30 and slept until 5:00!!! I woke up tired, went to the toilet, climbed back into bed with another quilt and fell back to sleep. I woke up at 6:30 or thereafter and actually felt pretty with it, for once. So will be looking into that [chamomile] as well to find out if it was a freak chance or if there is a chemical reason behind my good sleep.

OH, I forgot, I ate some peanut butter cookies last week, first time in ages and my gut rejected them. That's when I put 2 and 2 together and so have now decided to eliminate peanuts+cashews+(ofcourse) soy for my health.

I tell you what, this whole thing has also lit a fire under my brown thumb as well. I'm going to do my utmost best and have some great gardens this coming season. I plan on a large parsley plot as well as cilantro, not to mention many other foods that are expensive to buy and not as healthy as from my own gardens. I'm blessed to have meat we're raising/hunting for healthier protein sources, and I'm good and taking care of animals, for some reason though, I never got the green thumb.

Anyway, Happy NewYear, it's going to be better as we heal our bodies.

#726 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM

Found this interesting, perhaps this is why I've been craving and eating these a lot lately. My only concern is how do I determine how much polyphenal antioxident level is too much for a hypo person? How does a serving of pistachios rate on the exstrogenic level? Doing more research....

Pistachio Nuts

Quote:
Super Nutrient Dense In 8 Nutrients
In relation to calories, pistachios are nutrient
dense in thiamin, vitamin B6, copper, manganese,
potassium, dietary fiber, phosphorus and magnesium.

#727 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post

Anyway, Happy NewYear, it's going to be better as we heal our bodies.
Yeah, peanuts are a no-no, but every now and then I have to have a peanut butter cookie. Brazil nuts are on the good list for the selenium which you need to help use the thyroid hormone, iirc.

I think if you google goitrogens you will get a long list of foods that you aren't supposed to eat. Broccoli is one, in fact a lot of the ones that you're supposed to eat for other health benefits are bad for your thyroid. Sometimes you have to eat a little bit of something, but I try to avoid as much as possible, especially around dose times. I think Mary Shoman's site and STTM have lists of the foods that are bad.

A lot of the women in my thyroid group get imported chocolate to avoid the lecithin, which to me is a good idea. I think the tiny bits of [email protected] that are in every little thing we buy build up, and that is why so many of us have this problem in the first place, yk? They put mercury in our fillings and in our vaccines, they put flouride in our water, they put hormones and soy in our food, and all this has been going on for most of my life....and then thyroid disorders, obesity and related health problems are epidemic, but only those of us who are sick can see the connection? That amazes and confounds me.

#728 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 06:01 PM

It confounds me as well, and what even boggles my mind the most, are those that are suffering that don't see the connections.

I was just reading that one Brazil nut a day is all we need, I can hang with that, they aren't my favorite nut, but I like them well enough.

I took a break from researching to tend to my sick dd and dh, luckily my ds's are entertaining themselves and are quite content.

OH, I had a couple more ahha moments today. I was reading that stimulants, not just coffee and drugs , but vigurous excercise has the oppisite effect we are looking for as well. It's suggested that those with hypo do yoga and similar type exercises. I thought, 'huh, no wonder I always felt better after a belly dancing or yoga booty ballet session than after a power 90 workout.' I know with the belly dancing exercises, there is a segmant of focus on opening up chakras, esp. the neck chakra (think thyroid). I always felt relaxed but energized after a bellydance session, whereas after a power 90, or even Tony and the Kids, I'd feel ready to crawl into bed and crash for a long time.

NOTE to self: Stay away from stimulants, chemical and physical except fun time...when ready to sleep (gawd I can't wait to get my libido back *sigh)

Some interesting reading from Highbeam Encyclopedia

Another interesting read from Vitality

Sorry if anything I post is a repeat, this thread is long and I can't remember everything that's been linked.

Part of the food plan I'm putting together for myself will drastically reduce/eliminate a couple of food families, it's going to be interesting. I've come to terms I must give up some things in order to be healthy again, and it's worth it.

Reese

#729 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM

I hear you. It's frustrating, because I've had well meaning friends give me the tofu speech, and the exercise speech, but they forget I've already btdt. I used to work out over 3 hours a day, and I did the whole soy thing, and it made me sicker. When all the 'right' things don't work, you have to start digging deeper. Some people are luckier than others and their systems are more resistant to the toxins and hormones, I guess. For me, and others like me, there doesn't seem to be a safe level of exposure.

#730 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM

I had a friend that kept telling me I'd sleep better and loose weight if I exercised like her daily. She even stated that my periods wouldn't be painful if I just exercised. Yea, I'm one of them people that if I exercise, or even move, my periods are even more painful. "Well you know if you exercised more, and harder, you'd feel better", uhhu. Occasionally in my grumpy moments I wanted to say, kiss mine...people just don't get it.

As for soy, luckily most people I know get my anti-soy stance, and the ones that don't know arguing with me about it is futile .

I don't necessarily think that others are less suseptable to reations, rather their bodies react differently and they aren't as intuned with their bodies and/or don't know how to read how they are feeling connecting it to why. People are so big into the bandaid treatments, masking the real reason behind their health woes. It's much easier to pop a pill than it is to actually delve deeply and revamp ones lifestyle. Case in point, the gal that was telling me how good her synthroid worked, as she's downing a pound *yes, I'm not exagerating* of bacon *shudder* and making comment that she's not lost any weight, but she was feeling better. Uhhu, and yet you wish for me to take advise from you on how to manage MY hypo? Suuuuuuuure, I'll make note that right away.

Better living through chemestry don't ya know...that's the mantra of the latter half of the 20th Century, and moving on into the 21st. If there is a pill to be popped, why not pop it, heck, even if it can be remotely suggested as an option, let's pop it. Let's not take any responsibility for our lifestyle being a cause of our health and revamp it so we can be healthier....without that pill. I'm all for popping a pill, if it really is towards a goal of reparing yourself, but not for a bandaid treatment.

Ooops, guess I need to pop off the soap box now huh.

#731 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM

preaching to the choir

I'm looking forward to a day, maybe when I have grandchildren, when big agriculture and food manufacturers are sued for damaging our health so they could profit with the addition of soy to nearly everything on the grocery store shelves. Everybody's gotta have a dream, right? Cigarettes have warnings now, why not soy products?

#732 of 1016 Old 01-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Hi - I am a recovered pp hypo. My TSH at it's worst was 14 (Oct 2006) and was 1.6 at my last test (Nov 2007). I treated it pp after both pregnancies with supplements. Had another health issue and loads of depression and stress, got adreanal fatigue... exhusted and couldn't sleep and what not... But things are better now. I have been taking Adrenal Stress End for the adrenal fatigue since July and that finally pushed my TSH from 3 points to where it is today. I am gettin gother health issues under wraps and am sleeping great!!! I got the go ahead to wean off the Adrenal supplement and decided to wait until after the holiday stress. I still take sups for thyroid but not as many.

Wish me luck! Happy New Year everyone.
#733 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mommyshine! Hey, you were one of the inspirations for me back when I felt bad and was trying to figure out the approach I wanted to take. I did the supplement route, too, and my symptoms went away (haven't actually re-tested). I later figured out that there was another, underlying reason for my thyroid problem--the mercury in my fillings. It messes up mineral transport in the body. Not sure if it would apply to you, but I wanted to mention it. I'm dealing with the adrenal fatigue stuff too right now, and I'm glad that you're on the road to feeling better.

Reese--you sound far better informed than I was when I dealt with this. And if I could do it, in my relative ignorance, then it sounds like you'll do a great job in figuring out the answers that apply to you. Good job! Just re-read your response--mine came on during a stressful pregnancy (my 2nd) too. Stress, of all sorts, can really wreak havoc on us--something that I have only recently accepted.
#734 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Off to the ENDO....today for my checkup. Trying to convince her that I need Armour....Crossing my fingers she doesnt shoot me down. Cause then its off to the naturopath that is all out of pocket :
She is a nice doc, my endo-so we will see if she will scribe it for me. Its covered by my prescription drug coverage-just gotta get a doc to scribe it for me.....Otherwise-Then I gotta pay for my own lab work,a special visit, and all the supplements out of pocket....
She is gonna be mad that I didnt get my blood work done before I went into her office today, but oh well-I want a full panel done anyways-not just a darn TSH....
So send me some good vibes for a happy visit.....

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#735 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks, thanks and thanks to you ladies. I'm feeling more confident every day that I'm choosing a good path for me and that I'll be able to beat this thing into submission I've been researching this on and off for a while now, but with more intent recently. I've known I needed to face this issue, but have procrastinated it due to how daunting it is to face and deal with.

What prompted me to take more serious action was this past fall I had an exploision of symptoms. Then come to find out that what I was blaming on residual effects from having encephilytis, was really my thyroid/adrenal issues.

I have learned one valuable thing though, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and still need to learn.

Health to us in 2008

#736 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

OH Jess, I hope she doesn't give you any gruff and you get what you need.

#737 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM

OK, here goes. My brother has been diagnosed with hypothyroid. I believe he has Hashi's as he described it as his autoimmune system attacking his thyroid and said it was hereditary. He was having horrible problems with fatigue, depression, sleeping a lot, weight gain, and his voice is gravely (he also has hair loss, but that has been going on for a while). He is on medication now.

After I had DD I lost weight very quickly, I was ten pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight by the time DD was six months old. Now, when she is 27 moths old I am 10 pounds above my prepregnancy weight (so, a 20 pound weight gain in about 20 months, not too extreme). This could also be attributed to a decrease in her nursing, a change to a new job which involves lots of sitting at a desk and high stress that has lead to overeating (mt. dew every day, icecream everyday). However, over the past month I have cut the bad stuff out, and have started exercising again. The scale isn't budging. I am now working on decreasing overall calories (I was eating about 2000/day - way too much for a non pregnant person I thought, and am now using sparkpeople to monitor this) and improving the nutrients in my diet as well, to see if that works for weight loss.
I also have had problems with reactive hypoglycemia (my GTT was a 67, they tried to claim that they missed GD when I grew a 9.5 lb baby and scared me into a c-section for fetal macrosomia fears). I do have rage issues as well, and have for a long time (I thought this might be attributable to the reactive hypoglycemia).
My cycles have been screwy since they came back at nine months pp. They are long, I usually O late, and my luteal phase has been variable. My periods are getting lighter and lighter, this last one was a few days of spotting (and no, I am not pregnant, I chart and there was a definite drop in Temp, and we avoided sex from day 9 onward (due to fertile CM) and I didn't O until day 24).
Now, my hair is NOT falling out, my skin is NOT dry and flaky, and I am tired but definitely not fatigued. My tiredness could easily be attributed to sleep deprivation (you know, mom stuff), because whenever I get more sleep I feel just fine. I do have some achy joints and muscles, but they seem to get worse after exercising, so perhaps I am just getting used to exercising?
Do I have enough symptoms to get my thyroid checked out? I made an appointment with my FP (who is also an OB/GYN VBAC doctor in town) but the soonest I can be seen is April 3rd (when I will get a pap smear and do some preconception counseling). We were hoping to start TTC in May/June of 2008. So, if there IS a problem, not time to fix it.
I googled thyroid and my location and found the "North Florida Regional Thyroid Center." I think I can go there without a referral because I have a PPO. Should I just go ahead and do that?
I am also thinking that I could have adrenal fatigue, and this place also looks at that.
What can thyroid issues due to my fertility? Will this risk me out of a homebirth (I was hoping to travel to another location to have an HBAC since none were available in my town)? Does it cause any issues with VBAC? I guess I am sort of afraid to find out, but I know that if it IS an issue, I should find out.
Sorry if some of these things have been answered in this thread already, I have been slowly wading through it and trying to look at the links, but it is a LONG thread!!!
#738 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I'm a little torn about them. They look like synthroid pushers. Where did you see that they treat adrenal fatigue? That part sounds good, but the ATA is very up on synthetics, which is unfortunate since the natural hormones make most of us feel so much better. If you read on Mary Shoman's site you will see that mainstream endos generally are anti-natural hormones, which is why so many of us don't use them.

When you follow their links they sing the praises of synthetic hormones, which gives me a really bad feeling. If you can get them to treat your adrenal fatigue that would be a really good thing, but you may want to expand your search before you commit. IIRC there are some pretty good docs in FL that have been mentioned on either the natural thyroid hormones group or the NTH adrenals group on yahoo, you could probably get someone to give you a personal reference.

#739 of 1016 Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 PM

well, the thyroid place wont even see me until I get labs done with my regular doctor. So, I got an appointment with his Nurse Practioner to run some labs for the 22nd. That will give me more time to do some research and get information off some of these websites as well.
#740 of 1016 Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 PM

I have an MD who practices natural medicine (an MD who uses crystals and herbals, and true Rx when needed) AND takes my insurance. She is not an endo - just a reg Dr. She treated my adrenal fatigue and monitors my thyroid since I have that in my history. The Dr who treated my thyroid with supplements was an MD but didn't take my ins. She gets women off stuff prescribed by the reg Drs all the time.

Search for integrated medicine or holistic medicine (not that you all haven't tried) - even these searches do not pull up the Dr I currently see, so they are probably out there, just hard to find

Tanya - glad you are feeling better! Health is complicated but attainable! We take so much for granted..
#741 of 1016 Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM

tha'ts great you found a doctor who knows what they are doing.
If you dont mind, can you tell me more about how she tested/treated you adrenal fatigue, and how you felt before and after.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#742 of 1016 Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM

My Dr used a saliva test to test my cortisol at four dif times of the day.

I felt tired to THE BONE, completely DRAINED, Like I had no blood or something. They say men think of sex every few minutes... I thought of that saying often becuase I thought "I am soooooooo tired," About every other minute of my waking days. Then - I couldn't fall asleep!!!!! I'd get so upset and felt so desperate for sleep. Little things would wake me and I wouldn't be able to fall back to sleep. I wanted to run away somewhere where I could stay in bed all day. It went way beyond the hypothyroid fatigue. This all happened in response to emptional stress after my thyroid had started working better. I had a bad and wrong diagnosis which I took as true and written in stone and I grieved and got depressed and stressed and ... my body needed rest but there wasn't any to be found and once my cortisol got out of whack my perspecitve on everything was skewed.

Not sure how long it took to turn around once I started supplements... a few months maybe. I pretty much feel great now. Just very out of shape from years of pregnancy, birth, new baby, hypo, repeat... I am going for a swim right now though!
#743 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Anyone else having issues with rage and uncontrollable emotions lately? Now I am 7 months pregnant, but still after reading Mary Solomon's thyroid diet book, I know my adrenals are reeking havoc on my emotions and hormones.
right now I am on a rollercoaster. my doctor is helping me manage my adrenals but I would really like to get a grip. Know what I mean? I feel like I loose my temper often and am easily stressed out.
anyone else feel like this?

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#744 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM

I find that rage has to do with my thyroid. I was on 3.5 grains of Armour before I was pregnant. I had to raise it to 5.5 grains during pregnancy.
#745 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
Anyone else having issues with rage and uncontrollable emotions lately? my doctor is helping me manage my adrenals but I would really like to get a grip. Know what I mean? I feel like I loose my temper often and am easily stressed out.
anyone else feel like this?

Look at your diet! I've been off nightshade foods for not even a week now and I'm feeling so much better, a lot less stressed and a lot calmer. I used to have verbal rages at least once a day and battled the urge to rage even more. The way I'm feeling can also be attributed to other parts of my diet/nutrition changes, but I think that the nightshade connection is a big one.

Nightshade family foods include, but not limited to, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, tobacco (don't smoke and try to avoid being around it) ...

If you are hypothyroidic, any kind of stimulant food/drink/exercise is not good for you. Avoid caffine and vigerouse stimulating exercise, instead do yoga or pilates or similar calming exercises and drink water.

health

#746 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 PM

wow- nightshade, I never knew of this! And we're on the Feingol;d diet also. Tomatos are eliminated during stage one- but I reintroduced them back into the diet thinking there was no trigger...guess there is, because now that I think about it, everyone in my family gets crazy after eating anything tomato-y.
so- no trigger foods, caffiene, heavy stimulants.
I think I can handle that- I'll keep you posted!
thanks!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#747 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 PM

I'm subbing to this thread........

Sometime between the last pregnancy and this one I got
hypothyroid. I hate taking pills....I'm ready to explore other options.
#748 of 1016 Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi...I just saw this thread. I have been on meds for hypothyroidism for 5.5 years. I can answer a lot of questions about thyroid issues if needed...I think I've experienced almost every symptom!
#749 of 1016 Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing. just found this thread while searching.. My thyroid seemed to have quit working while pregnant with #2. That was 2 years ago. I've been on synthroid ever since. My question is, can I treat this with diet and natural ways, or do I have to stay on meds for the rest of my life??

Married 16 yrs.
03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins, 01-08-15, 01-30-16. Due 07/23/18!!

m/c 06/97, 01/03, 10/13, 07/16, 03/17
#750 of 1016 Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 AM

interestingly, my dosage kept going up and then all of the sudden I went hyper. My tsh was .003, so they moved me down one prescription and now I take a half of a .75mcg of levoxyl...so .375. I know there is a more natural thyroid replacement called Armour www.armourthyroid.com which comes from pig thyroid, but I have not found anyone who would prescribe it to me. http://armourthyroid.com/ From what I understand, once you are on the meds, it's almost unheard of to be able to stop them...but I know there are some natural supplements that might make it possible for you to take less thyroid replacement hormone.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page