The Thyroid Thread - Page 33 - Mothering Forums
 2Likes

#961 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, a combination of things. I think treating my underlying stress/adrenal issues were key (still have a long way to go). Eating much healthier, dropping soy, supplementation, exercise, positive thinking, prayer, stopping flouride (as much as I am aware of that is)... and (more recently) PCOS diet -- just diagnosed -- stopping all caffeine, quitting smoking some months back, keeping my thyroid warmed (I keep a scarf on in the house most days when no one is around, which is kind of funny in the summer but has been shown to help thyroid function) -- just a lot of little things.

It might just be a fluke but from 9.99 to 5.5 all naturally is pretty cool to me.

The thing is, all my symptoms have disappeared except a bit of dry skin around my nose and a reeeeeeeeeallly long period last month which may also have been PCOS related... so I dunno what's going on .

Regardless, 5.5 is still low, or high, or whatever so I will probably begin the Armour by the end of the month. Still making peace with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM

I think dropping soy is huge. The fact that soy has infiltrated nearly all of our food sources, the addition of flouride to our water, and chlorine rinses on produce are responsible for the majority of thyroid disorders, imo.

Most people have no idea that eating out and buying packaged foods means they eat soy several times a day.

for intuitive readings click here :
#963 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello, bigeyes, i see you're mood hasn't changed
So what is the deal with soy and thyroid anyway? I have a nodule that can produce more hormone. So I can have a hyper issue not a hypo. Educate me on the soy thing, please!

#964 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrunchy View Post
Hello, bigeyes, i see you are still bitchy
It's a constant thing.

I heard that if I change it I can't get it back because it's no longer available.

#965 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
Nichole - I'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you needed from your appointment. It can all be so disappointing.

I also had to start leaving my daughter with someone else. I found that I was so focused on her not mucking up the office that I couldn't focus on what was being said to me. Another thing I try to do is take my husband (but, really, anybody would work) with me to the appointments...we figure four ears will hear more than two.
Hey there. I did get what I needed from the appointment. I just kinda had to insist.
#966 of 1016 Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

captain crunchy= that is amazing!!!
#967 of 1016 Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Just a quick update: I got my thyroid test results back, and my levels are now balanced (endo did the full panel, not just tsh). She did tell me that some people who require high quantities of thyroid hormone may have another autoimmune process going on, affecting the absorption of B12. So my B12 levels were checked, along with that particular antibody. In the mean time, my pregnancy bloodwork came back, and it turns out I am a little anemic (low hematocrit). So, I'm wondering if that's been the source of my tiredness problems. I am focussing on more iron in my diet, and hoping for an improvement. I am also supplementing.

I thought the tidbit about needing very high thyroid hormone replacement might be of interest to others.
#968 of 1016 Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit View Post
Just a quick update: I got my thyroid test results back, and my levels are now balanced (endo did the full panel, not just tsh). She did tell me that some people who require high quantities of thyroid hormone may have another autoimmune process going on, affecting the absorption of B12. So my B12 levels were checked, along with that particular antibody. In the mean time, my pregnancy bloodwork came back, and it turns out I am a little anemic (low hematocrit). So, I'm wondering if that's been the source of my tiredness problems. I am focussing on more iron in my diet, and hoping for an improvement. I am also supplementing.

I thought the tidbit about needing very high thyroid hormone replacement might be of interest to others.
A lot of the women in my thyroid group have found that they need a pretty high dose of thyroid hormones, much more than any endo was willing to prescribe going by TSH only.

#969 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 01:04 AM

brand new to this thread. I have skimmed through, but it's kind of info overload!

I was diagnosed 2 years ago (25yo) with hashimoto's and a pituitary tumor that caused me to produce too much prolactin.
thyroid is under control with synthroid (88mcg daily) and for the pituitary I was taking Cabergoline until PG and it's actually improving since PG without medicine.

my question is what are some good sources of info on controlling thyroid with diet?I've read a couple books on it, but nothing that has any clear connections between specific dietary changes and thyroid
#970 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 AM

Just went to see an endocrinologist today. My TSH has steadily climbed to 8.36, and I'm actually o.k. with the fact that I need to take meds. However, when I asked about Armour, he told me that your body makes T3 from the T4 so that using something like Armour might introduce more T3 than is needed in the system and cause things to be out of whack. He also said that my high TSH has nothing to do with the irritability I've been feeling over the past few months, since I have enough thyroid hormone floating around in my system (I have normal T3 and T4/free T4 levels), so now I'm thinking I should start an antidepressant along with the T4 hormone he prescribed. I think maybe I'm o.k. with just taking the levothyroxine since I really don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism (other than the irritability which I guess is not necessarily related), but not sure if I should seek another opinion or maybe just see how I feel on the T4 med.

mom to DS 7, DS 5 and DD 3 :
#971 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 AM

Not yet diagnosed with anything but just received my thyroid biopsy results and was told that it was negative (no cancer). I am to follow up with my nurse practitioner next week to discuss.

The medical assistant told me over the phone today that the course of action is labs again (current ones were 'normal') in 6 mo and new u/s in 1yr. That sounded fine with me...but she also told me that I'd not be put on meds...which did not sound fine with me! I cannot continue to live like this. Originally my hcp was going to prescribe synthroid based on my symptoms but wanted to get an u/s to look at thyroid before meds. So I had it...discovered the nodule and now we will do nothing about none of it?

I feel as though I have 8million questions!

I'll only ask a few.

Should I ask to be referred to an endocrinologist? (HMO...blech)

Why would my thyroid suddenly at the age of 41 become grossly enlarged and have a 3.6cm nodule on it? I did have my second baby 16 months ago and the enlarged thyroid was palpated in January and scanned a month or so ago.

And why would we think that nothing needs to be done? Does nothing need to be done? MY hcp is aware of my symptoms which are the following:

Fatigue - she used the term malaise which I nearly screamed YES to. NO amount of sleep is enough sleep
Hair loss
Unstable moods - very easily frustrated and angry and minor things. Slight depression.
Hungry all the time - belly growling hunger at times
Dramatic weight gain! I'm overweight already, but have packed on 45 lbs since giving birth when I've hardly altered my diet (i actually lost 25 lbs during my preg.) or my walking regime.
Difficulty getting to sleep but average 6-7hrs. a night
Odd periods. Relatively regular though increasingly closer together. A really slow start to my period if that makes any sense.

I've had most of these symptoms since giving birth to dd but chalked it up to pp stuff....even in Jan I was still rather sleep deprived and figured it was due to that. But now...and for 3 months or so dd sleeps all night and I still need a 2-3 hour nap every day!

As a side note I get gest. diabetes with my pregnancies and I've been checking my blood sugar for the heck of it. My fasting is always over 100, often 112 or so. Isn't that high? My after meals #'s are great, often well below where they wanted me during my pregnancy. Could this be a diabetes thing along with a thyroid thing?

So...the big question is, with the info I've given, what would your next step be and what would you be discussing with your hcp? BTW...I'm still bf dd and plan/desire to continue.

Many thanks!

~L.
#972 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsclmr View Post
Just went to see an endocrinologist today. My TSH has steadily climbed to 8.36, and I'm actually o.k. with the fact that I need to take meds. However, when I asked about Armour, he told me that your body makes T3 from the T4 so that using something like Armour might introduce more T3 than is needed in the system and cause things to be out of whack. He also said that my high TSH has nothing to do with the irritability I've been feeling over the past few months, since I have enough thyroid hormone floating around in my system (I have normal T3 and T4/free T4 levels), so now I'm thinking I should start an antidepressant along with the T4 hormone he prescribed. I think maybe I'm o.k. with just taking the levothyroxine since I really don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism (other than the irritability which I guess is not necessarily related), but not sure if I should seek another opinion or maybe just see how I feel on the T4 med.
Your endo is full of crap. Mood swings and irritability are a big hypo symptom that some of us only got relief from by switching to armour, and that too much t3 is a big load they try to sell you to keep you on synthetics and antidepressants. Have you googled top docs? Gone to stopthethyroidmadness.com or joined any thyroid groups? A lot of us have found that antidepressants make your thyroid problem worse (some antidepressants are processed with chlorine or fluoride in manufacturing which some of us believe further depresses your thyroid function) and the side effects from them make the symptoms such as exhaustion much worse.

#973 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Here are my new labs, please tell me what you think. Putting it all out there in case something matters.

TEST--------------VALUE---------RANGE
*WBC-------------6.8------------4.0-11.0
*RBC--------------4.39----------3.80-5.10
*Hemoglobin-----12.7----------11.3-15.5
*Hematocrit------38.1-----------35.5-47.0
*MCV--------------87-------------81-102
*MCH--------------28.9----------27.0-35.0
*MCHC------------33.4-----------31.0-37.0
*RDW-------------13.5-----------11.5-14.5
*PLATELET CT----231------------150-450

CORTISOL AM(blood)-----17.8-----------4.3-22.4

C-PEPTIDE---------1.03----------0.81-3.85

MAGNESIUM-----------1.8------------1.7-2.8

TRIGLYCERIDES---------38--------10-150
CHOLESTEROL-----------137-------133-199
HDL-----------------------68---------40-75
CHOLESTEROL/HDL RATIO-----2.0
LDL(CALC)---------------61----------57-100
VLDL(CALC)-------------7.6---------6.0-35.0
LDL/HDL RATIO---------0.9---------0.5-3.0

FASTING
GLUCOSE----------------76-----------65-99
BUN----------------------17-----------6-18
CREATENINE------------0.6----------0.6-1.4
BUN/CREATENINE------28-----------6-25 **HIGH**
SODIUM-----------------142----------131-150
POTASSIUM-------------3.6-----------3.5-5.5
CHLORIDE--------------103-----------95-108
BICARBONATE----------26------------21-31
OSMOLALITY SERUM---294-----------278-305
CALCIUM----------------9.4------------8.5-10.6
IONIZED CALCIUM-----4.2------------3.9-4.7
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL-----0.7------------0.1-1.4
AST/SGOT---------------15-------------0-48
ALT/SGPT----------------13------------0-52
ALKALINE PHOS.--------37------------30-130
TOTAL PROTEIN---------6.9------------6.0-8.5
ALBUMIN-----------------4.5------------3.5-5.0
GLOBUMIN---------------2.4------------1.8-3.8
A/G RATIO---------------1.9-------------1.1-2.5

TOTAL IRON-------------89---------------34-182

IRON BINDING CAPACITY, Unsat.----180-----130-375
IRON BINDING CAPACITY--------------269-----245-400

%SATURATION (CALC)------------33---------20-55

FERRITIN---------------22---------------------10-295

VITAMIN B12----------1190-----------210-925 ***HIGH**

PROLACTIN------------4.0------------2.8-29.9

FREE T4----------------1.12-----------0.80-1.80

FREE T3----------------2.4-------------2.3-4.2

TSH, 3RD GEN---------0.114--------0.350-5.50 **LOW**

T3 TOTAL--------------69.0----------80.0-200.0 **EXTRA LOW**
(results confirmed by repeat analysis)

REVERSE T3-----------548------------90-350 **HIGH**

ACTH-------------------22-------------9-46

LH----------------------11.41
midcycle------------8.7-76.3

FSH--------------------5.0
midcycle----------3.4-33.4

FOLIC ACID (FOLATE)------19.58-------2.60-16.00 **HIGH**

VITAMIN D, 25 HYDROXY------29.5-------31-100 **LOW**
10-30=VITAMIN D INSUFFIENCY
--I do go in the sun and also take 1 tsp CLO everyday

Please let me know what you think. I am on 30mcg of T3, which I stopped 3 days before the test, and take 6 Isocort each day. I occasionally take a b-complex, but it's not a high one. I take 1 tsp of CLO each day, but still my Vitamin D is low, and I have had plenty of sub lately and even in the winter I try to go out 15 min each day, plus I live in So.Ca. The Reverse T3 has me puzzled along with the other thyroid numbers. Please share your thoughts
Any chance I coud be on too much T3? I started it in November, then upped it again in April. It just seems that the more T3 I take the worse my Tsh gets and my T3 numbers are. **My old labs are on my other post a couple above this**
#974 of 1016 Old 07-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Any chance I coud be on too much T3? I started it in November, then upped it again in April. It just seems that the more T3 I take the worse my Tsh gets and my T3 numbers are. **My old labs are on my other post a couple above this**
Once you are on T3 you don't pay attention to your TSH, you pay attention to your frees. TSH isn't what is important once you're being treated. Your frees tell you how much of your medicine is actually being used.

This is especially true if your pituitary is not working. TSH is what tells your pituitary to make more thyroid hormone, and if your thyroid isn't working at all, you are getting it all from supplements. Your frees tell you how much is floating around and how much is being used, IIRC. There are some people in the support groups who can explain this in much better detail than I can, but that is the gist of why so many patients run from TSH worshipping docs, and why we insist on the other tests.

#975 of 1016 Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Well, I am feeling so much better. I was so hyper and anxious it was terrible. Now with the lower dose and the adrenal support I started, I feel AWESOME. I also had lots of help with the kids this weekend. I had the idea for dh and I to join a gym that has childcare during workouts. If we can swing it financially, I think it will help our stress level a great deal.
#976 of 1016 Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Just went to see an endocrinologist today. He also said that my high TSH has nothing to do with the irritability I've been feeling over the past few months, since I have enough thyroid hormone floating around in my system (I have normal T3 and T4/free T4 levels), so now I'm thinking I should start an antidepressant along with the T4 hormone he prescribed. I think maybe I'm o.k. with just taking the levothyroxine since I really don't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism (other than the irritability which I guess is not necessarily related), but not sure if I should seek another opinion or maybe just see how I feel on the T4 med.
Definitely just see how you feel on the levothyroxine. After months of depression, which resulted in me quitting my job and several other rash things, a week on Synthroid and I felt MUCH more balanced again. I don't think high TSH *causes* mood swings/depression, but it definitely can be a byproduct of hypothyroidism. I dont' know your exact situation, but I would just try the levo and see how you feel after you get your TSH regulated with that. If you're still feeling the same, definitely get a second opinoin. I wouldn't ditch your endo until you've at least tried his treatment (assuming you're ok with it).
#977 of 1016 Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM

quoted from
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ad7f9cf7ec556a

Long and Pathetic list of Hypothyroid Symptoms

• Less stamina than others
  • Less energy than others
  • Long recovery period after any activity
  • Inability to hold children for very long
  • Arms feeling like dead weights after activity
  • Chronic Low Grade Depression
  • Suicidal Thoughts
  • Often feeling cold
  • Cold hands and feet
  • High cholesterol
  • Bizarre and Debilitating reaction to exercise
  • Hard stools
  • Constipation
  • No eyebrows or thinning outer eyebrows
  • Dry Hair
  • Hair Loss
  • Dry cracking skin
  • Nodding off easily
  • Requires naps in the afternoon
  • Sleep Apnea (which can also be associated with low cortisol)
  • Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
  • Forgetfulness
  • Foggy thinking
  • Inability to lose weight
  • Always gaining weight
  • Inability to function in a relationship with anyone
  • NO sex drive
  • Moody periods
  • PMS
  • Excruciating pain during period
  • Nausea
  • Swelling/edema/puffiness
  • Aching bones/muscles
  • Osteoporosis
  • Bumps on legs
  • Acne on face and in hair
  • Breakout on chest and arms
  • Hives
  • Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
  • Inability to work full-time
  • Inability to stand on feet for long periods
  • Complete lack of motivation
  • Slowing to a snail’s pace when walking up slight grade
  • Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others
  • Handwriting nearly illegible
  • Internal itching of ears
  • Broken/peeling fingernails
  • Dry skin or snake skin
  • Major anxiety/worry
  • Ringing in ears
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Inability to eat in the mornings
  • No hair growth, breaks faster than it grows
  • Joint pain
  • Carpal tunnel symptoms
  • No Appetite
  • Fluid retention to the point of Congestive Heart Failure
  • Swollen legs that prevented walking
  • Blood Pressure problems
  • Varicose Veins
  • Dizziness from fluid on the inner ear
  • Low body temperature
  • Raised temperature
  • Tightness in throat; sore throat
  • Swollen lymph glands
  • Allergies (which can also be a result of low cortisol–common with hypothyroid patients)
  • Headaches and Migraines
  • Sore feet (plantar fascitis); painful soles of feet
  • now how do I put this one politely….a cold bum, butt, derriere, fanny, gluteus maximus, haunches, hindquarters, posterior, rear, and/or cheeks. Yup, really exists.
quoted from
http://www.elliotthealthcare.com/low_thyroid.htm
Low Thyroid Function - Hypothyroidism
Pat Elliott, ND

Common Symptoms:

Fatigue, falling asleep during the day, excessive need for sleep, difficult to awaken, sleepiness after eating
Weakness, lightheadedness
Low pulse rate (below 80), low body temperature
Muscle and joint aches and pains
Low tolerance for temperature fluctuations, easily chilled or overheated
Cold hands and/or feet, poor circulation, Raynaud's phenomenon (fingers turn white when exposed to cold)
Pale skin, pale lips
Depression, decreased joy in living, lethargy, apathy, poor memory, difficult concentration
Irritability, mood swings, nervousness and anxiety
Un-coordination, sluggishness or "laziness"
Easy weight gain, difficult weight loss
Swelling in feet, puffiness around eyes on awakening
Sugar and other food cravings, hypoglycemia symptoms (weakness, shakiness and/or irritability before meals)
Dry skin, itchy skin, hives, acne, coarse or rough skin, eczema, psoriasis
Decrease in or lack of sweating
Brittle and slow growing hair and nails, dry hair, hair loss, loss of lateral eyebrows
Recurring or prolonged infections including: sinusitis, bronchitis/pneumonia, ear infections, tonsillitis, boils,
vaginitis, bladder and kidney infections, and prostatitis
Poor wound healing, tendency for bruising
Elevated cholesterol and/or triglycerides in the blood, atherosclerosis, angina, heart attack, palpitations
High or very low blood pressure
Low libido, infertility, repeated miscarriage
Menstrual disturbances including: early or late starting age, painful periods, long or short cycles, irregular periods, heavy
bleeding, bleeding lasting greater than 5 days, PMS, endometrial hyperplasia, uterine fibroids, and ovarian cysts
Constipation, indigestion, loss of appetite in the morning
Abnormal sensation in throat or upon swallowing
Hoarseness of voice
Allergies, asthma
Difficult breathing
Insomnia
Carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve entrapment symptoms (burning/tingling), hands or feet falling asleep
Migraine and other headaches
Poor hearing
Decline in health following a pregnancy

#978 of 1016 Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
He also said that my high TSH has nothing to do with the irritability I've been feeling over the past few months, since I have enough thyroid hormone floating around in my system (I have normal T3 and T4/free T4 levels), so now I'm thinking I should start an antidepressant along with the T4 hormone he prescribed.
He flat out lied to you.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#979 of 1016 Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Went to see my ND today. He ordered a thyroid panel for me and will let me know when it's in. Once we do the panel and see where I'm sitting presently, I'm doing a switch over to Armour. My ND figures, based on present symptoms, that he'll start me on 1 grain (my present Synthroid dose is equivalent to 3/4 grain). I'm just so sick and tired of being sick and tired.
I can hardly wait. :

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#980 of 1016 Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 PM

So I got a call from the endo's office today to make an appointment. According to his nurse, he goes by "same ranges the lab considers normal"- so lab ranges which are 5 years old or so.
I'm wondering if that's true or if that's just what she thinks, so to speak- like, maybe he looks at it with a more experienced eye or something, iykwim. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to waste my time and money finding out. I mean, I know he makes $200 in 15 minutes, but that's not true in my house.

ETA: Is it a little obvious that I'm confused? Do I really *need* an allopathic doctor for this?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#981 of 1016 Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrunchy View Post
Educate me on the soy thing, please!
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/thyroidproblems.html

What I really love is the latest study about male infertility, with the statement that the information isn't enough to make people stop eating soy.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200807...y-011ccfa.html

If this information isn't enough, WTH is? It also kills me that during this study they made no mention of soy aliases, or how many processed foods it's hidden in.

http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/4620/decoder.htm
http://www.chesapeakestyle.com/celebrate/nov04a.html
http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/n...y/part_two.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/onewoman.html
http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/basics/soy.htm
http://www.soya.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260
http://ezinearticles.com/?Masacuring...bard&id=571531

Over the years I've figured out that soy aggravates my migraines and makes me feel like crap, and it is known as an endocrine disruptor. Because it is cheap to produce soy flour, soybean oil and soy protein, it has systematically replaced flours, proteins and oils in so many of our food sources it's nearly impossible to avoid unless you stay home and make everything you eat from scratch, which is what I do. It's shocking when you start reading labels and see what they hide it in, things like lemonade drinks in restaurants, canned water packed tuna, most chocolate, many vitamin pills. I have a book around here somewhere that tells about the FDA approval of soy as a food source, and the studies that showed everything that was wrong with it were downplayed simply because it is so profitable. That is the real reason why we have been told it's healthy, and that is the real reason why so many people feel like crap when they do everything they think is going to help them regain their health. Soy is the kiss of death for thyroid patients.

Fermentation makes soy easier for your body to digest, but even then, it isn't something to eat in unlimited amounts. All the hype about Asians eating huge amounts of soy is just that, hype. It's only American where people think a serving of something equals a pound.

#982 of 1016 Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
thank you much. i'll check it all out! my mom mentioned it when i was all stressed out about my biopsy and i learned that my biological father has thyroid cancer.
#983 of 1016 Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

ETA: Is it a little obvious that I'm confused? Do I really *need* an allopathic doctor for this?

I think that is up to you. If you don't feel good about that dr, then keep looking. I'm sorry I don't remember if you said you have been looking for a while or if this is your first dr you tried. You could try the raw glandulars first if you are comfortable with that. If you feel fatigued enough, then you may need some raw glandulars or thyroid hormones to help you get by. I am on armour as well as adrenal support. To me the best option is a natural minded MD. I also went to an endo one time, which was useful b/c he wasn't afraid to order the whole thyroid panel plus screen me for hashimoto's.
#984 of 1016 Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ladies, I just happened upon this thread and wanted to share an old post of mine.

Quote:
Hormonal imbalances-saliva testing
I just learned this stuff and wanted to share. I hope it helps you all.

Last Tuesday evening I attended a class about female hormonal imbalances. The issues regarding hormonal levels is that they may be normal on blood levels, but symptomatic (menstrual pain, moodiness, endometriosis, tired, difficulty conceiving, insomnia, hair loss, etc.). The blood levels were discussed as *available* hormones BUT with poor utilization by the body, they aren't effective. The utilization efficiency is dependent upon many interrelated nutrients and other hormones. Interestingly, cortisol is a huge variable associated with effective uptake of the hormones progesterone (especially), estrogen and testosterone, AND thyroid. High cortisol levels cause hormone resistance and block the utilization of the hormones. Many post partum women have disturbances in their cortisol (due to STRESS!!) and thyroid uptake becomes interfered with too. Evidently, progesterone levels, associated with mood stability, start decreasing precipitously about age 35 naturally. Low progesterone = mood changes.

The recommendation was to have saliva testing of these hormones, instead of blood level evaluation. And it should include the saliva levels of cortisol and thyroid. Pregnancy and breastfeeding alter these sex hormones and nutrient variables are critical in the uptake and utilization ability of the blood, especially in the brain neurosynthesis of these hormones. These hormones effect the immune system, and seratonin is associated with sleep and estrogen. (I was taking notes.) The progesterone level evaluated in saliva is critical as most women at age 35 are low in progesterone, irrelevant of recent pregnancy or breastfeeding even. Pregnancy alters all of these hormones, as does breastfeeding.

Apparently, there are synthetic hormone replacements (HRT) and bio-identical hormone replacements (BHRT). (I had never heard much about this issue before now.) Anyway, the BHRT are more able to be utilized by the body because of their "fit" with (proteins or amino acids, I believe) in order to be used rather than freely "available" in the blood. Does this make sense? Basically, HRT and even our own hormones may appear to be adequate in quantity, according to the blood level, but the the interaction of other hormones and nutrients (specifically deficiencies) means that they are not effectively used. So, the suggestion was to have each of the sex hormones evaluated in saliva and replaced specifically (as necessary) with bio-identical replacements (BHRT). Evidently, the reason that most HRT used by the medical profession is HRT, is because HRT is marketed. BHRT are naturally derived and MUCH less expensive and don't hold the profit potential.

Apparently, BHRT are *derived* from Wild Mexican Yams and Soy and made to be chemically identical to our natural hormones. Although, food consumption of these foods in huge quantities would NOT be as useful or efficient an effort to "replace" the hormones. The natural derivative of the hormones is chemically dissimilar, ie. phytoestrogen is NOT the same as a bio-identical hormone. Confused as mud? I was a critical care nurse for 17 years and I am a bit confused. So, I am giving my best understanding, but this is NOT my area of specialty. I was a cardio-thorasic nurse. BUT, I am now 43 and ummmm....needing to understand this stuff better.

BTW, endometriosis is associated with progesterone levels. I too have endo too. And progesterone is associated with the utilization of estrogen...which all needs to be in balance to conceive and carry babies to term. All of this is interestingly connected. Frankly, I have written all I know. So, I am not more help than knowing that I need more info! And Magnesium (and many other nutrients) are critical to the immune system and the hormones, if I recall correctly. And most of us are low in Magnesium, especially after pregnancy and while breast feeding.

The book "Menopause & The Mind" was a referenced resource for the lay person about the interaction of hormones and moods. I am going to seek it out. Another author knowledgeable about hormones and women is Susan Weed. She has several books about different stages in a woman's life: childbearing years, premenopausal, etc. I haven't read her books, but a friend recommended them. And John Lee writes about hormone balancing in relation to diet, supplements and exercise.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#985 of 1016 Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 PM

Crashing here! I've been reading through the thread and various links and I think I'm more confused than ever (of course sleep deprivation and brain fog doesn't help!). My mom and maternal grandmother have hypo, my aunt (mom's sister) has hyper. I was testing two years ago and it was 'normal' - I don't know the details, whoops. Anyhow, I've got lots of hyper and hypo symptoms but actually thought I was anemic again (had been when I had the thyroid test two years ago) so went back to the doc. She did a bunch of tests to see why I was anemic again, but test results show that I'm not, woo hoo! My TSH level is .3 - the doc said normal was .1 to 5 (which I know from reading is debated!). We were joking about how funny it was that I was closer to hyper than hypo considering I weigh close to 300lbs and am not energetic to say the least. But my .3 is considered normal by the doc. Should I ask for more testing? I can't believe I have an overactive thyroid, but something feels wrong!

Thanks for any advice!
#986 of 1016 Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 PM

.3 is at the low end of the normal range. I'm having a hard time living at that end (and I'm supposed to be lower).

I'd get the results from the last test and get a new work-up done. See where you are and how far you've moved.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#987 of 1016 Old 07-26-2008, 05:24 PM

nak
I went to check out top docs again... It was only then I noticed that Dr. Ray Peat lives/works in the same city I'm being sent to see an endo in. I wonder if I should/could get an appt with him instead.

#988 of 1016 Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 PM

subbing here lo fell aslleep nak and my arm is about to fall off.
awaiting tests from my midwife...

after reading a few posts all i can think is what to do if my labs show nothing?

jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#989 of 1016 Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 PM

First, get copies of your labs, and go to a thyroid group and ask for help interpreting them. Plenty of docs just look at your TSH, tell you you're fine, and keep you in the dark.

Through my thyroid group over the years I've read about how antidepressants affect cortisol levels, which affect how your thyroid works, for example, and how smoking affects your thyroid, and all kinds of things my thyroid doctor never even talked about. For about 20 years I had doctors giving me drugs that worked against my thyroid, all the while telling me I was fine. :

Until you know how to interpret your labs, or have someone help you interpret them, you can't take it for granted that they show nothing.

Keep a Word file with things you learn in it, because if you're like the rest of us with thyroid brain fog, you'll forget things and ask the same questions over and over. This way you'll have a file to go back to when you need to look something up. Save links and tidbits so when you need to know something it's all in one place.

STTM has a page with tests you will want to have run.
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ffda99be0de8a9

#990 of 1016 Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Keep a Word file with things you learn in it, because if you're like the rest of us with thyroid brain fog, you'll forget things and ask the same questions over and over. This way you'll have a file to go back to when you need to look something up. Save links and tidbits so when you need to know something it's all in one place.
This honestly never occurred to me before. Thanks.
A silly question maybe, but does the brain fog ever go away? I'm so tired of feeling stupid.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page