The Thyroid Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#91 of 1016 Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just started on Thyrostim (Biotics Research) for treatment of hyperthyroid.

My doctor ordered hormone & thyroid testing due to symptoms I have been having: very low libido, dry skin and brittle nails, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance + almost constant hot flashes (that's weird!), among others. My hormone tests all came back normal (apparently it's the thyroid and not menopause) .

The TSH, Free T3 & Free T4 tests came back as follows:

TSH: <0.01
Free T3: 5.0
Free T4: 2.0

So, my test results say Hyperthyroidism. But, my symptoms just don't jive with what we have been reading as relating to Hyper. I do NOT have a high libido (I wish!), rapid heart rate, weight loss, eye problems, or moist skin.

They all relate to Hypothyroidism instead from what I have been checking on google(!).

I am very confused about this (the tests say hyPER but many of my symptoms say hyPO). My doctor suggested I start on this supplement called Thyrostim (Biotics Research) to, hopefully, kick-start my body and test again in two months, rather than going on more serious medications (as I am not having serious problems such as heart palpatations, etc). If, in two months, the tests are the same and so are my symptoms, he said we can discuss what our next approach should be.

I love this doctor and his philosophy on the practice of medicine and trust his opinion.

I'll take the Thyrostim and see what happens. I'm just curious if anyone else takes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 1016 Old 11-03-2006, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep my pills by my toothbrush, too. Although, I have been taking that little pill for so long now it is a reflex to grab the pill bottle as soon as I get to the sink.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#93 of 1016 Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 PM

Hey everyone!

I went off the synthroid last friday as per my doctors suggestion to see what my body does. So far I feel okay. Stepped on the scale today and I've gained another 4 lbs. I'm up over 20 lbs weight gain in 4 months now. It sucks

I found this awesome website if anyone is interested:
http://www.drdebe.com/RevivingYourThyroid.htm

#94 of 1016 Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
I just started on Thyrostim (Biotics Research) for treatment of hyperthyroid.

My doctor ordered hormone & thyroid testing due to symptoms I have been having: very low libido, dry skin and brittle nails, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance + almost constant hot flashes (that's weird!), among others. My hormone tests all came back normal (apparently it's the thyroid and not menopause) .

The TSH, Free T3 & Free T4 tests came back as follows:

TSH: <0.01
Free T3: 5.0
Free T4: 2.0

So, my test results say Hyperthyroidism. But, my symptoms just don't jive with what we have been reading as relating to Hyper. I do NOT have a high libido (I wish!), rapid heart rate, weight loss, eye problems, or moist skin.

They all relate to Hypothyroidism instead from what I have been checking on google(!).

I am very confused about this (the tests say hyPER but many of my symptoms say hyPO). My doctor suggested I start on this supplement called Thyrostim (Biotics Research) to, hopefully, kick-start my body and test again in two months, rather than going on more serious medications (as I am not having serious problems such as heart palpatations, etc). If, in two months, the tests are the same and so are my symptoms, he said we can discuss what our next approach should be.

I love this doctor and his philosophy on the practice of medicine and trust his opinion.

I'll take the Thyrostim and see what happens. I'm just curious if anyone else takes it.
Hey all,

I have hypothyroidism for 21years now, I was 21years old. I missed my period and thought I was preg., well I don't have any kids and 42 yrs. I had a goiter. The doctor couldn't understand that I didn't notice my throat getting bigger (nope) and my voice sounded deeper (had a deep voice normally), but after she pointed out everything then I noticed it all. Hair falling out, depression (all those other symptoms are more now then then). I was put on synthyroid and through out the years on the other popular one that start with L (spllg?), but synthroid 100mcg most of the time.and on that same dose until now. When on the others I noticed more of a hyper effect so I would skip some doses(like everyother day) My reading this month was:

TSH .45
T3 free 2.3 Low
T4 free 1.88 High

I asked to be put on armour which my mom suggested (yes she is hypo too), so next refill will be armour, I am kind of excited cause I hear it helps better because it has both t4 and t3. Oh, I still have my tonsils and I think my mom has them too. She was put on meds when she kept having miscarrages.

I am not sure about the antibody thing is but mine where postive, but I compared it to my March reading which was 280 (high) to now 80 still high but came down. Doctor wanted me to go to a rhuemotolgiest(spllg?),but decided to handle it myself by changing my diet and seeing a big improvement. I think all this is related to adrenal glands, diet, hormones, and gut/PROBIOTICS are extremely important. I had a rash around my mouth, eyes, hands, and vag. yeast infection, face swelling around mouth and eyes. This all became worst after 3-4 rounds of antibiotics within least than a year for 2 tooth infections. That is when the rash came and that is when I had the antibody test which was 280 and now down to 80 but still high, but came down. I will kept you all informed on my progress and what I change etc.. I believe all this is from overgrowth candida.

These where and some come and go my symptoms:
Thin hair/hair falling out--no more
weight gain--up and down--could be cause it is winter--not much activity
rash---this is new since the antibiotics
muscle aches--more lately and constant
headach--sometimes--mostly migaines
lack of concentration--most of the time/lately
memory loss
crave sweets alot and eat alot
tired--alot
lack of motivation--I want to do things,but just can't
cold hands and feet mostly feet--all the time
libdo--ok most of the time

Ok here is some interesting info--read the whole thing--over come your symptoms (lack of concentration) and read it It talks about synthyroid and armour meds

Optimum Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypothyroidism With Free T3 and Free T4 Levels

Diagnosis of Hypothyroidism
The big myth that persists regarding thyroid diagnosis is that an elevated TSH level is always required before a diagnosis of hypothyroidism can be made. Normally, the pituitary gland will secrete TSH in response to a low thyroid hormone level. Thus an elevated TSH level would typically suggest an underactive thyroid.

The traditional tests of thyroid function, the T4 (or total T4), T3-uptake, FTI, 'T7', total T3, and T3-by-RIA tests should be abandoned because they are unreliable as gauges of thyroid function. The most common traditional way to diagnose hypothyroidism is with a TSH that is elevated beyond the normal reference range. For most labs, this is about 4.0 to 4.5. This is thought to reflect the pituitary's sensing of inadequate thyroid hormone levels in the blood which would be consistent with hypothyroidism. There is no question that this will diagnose hypothyroidism, but it is far too insensitive a measure, and the vast majority of patients who have hypothyroidism will be missed.

The clinical symptoms of hypothyroidism are many. Perhaps the most common is fatigue. The skin can become dry, cold, rough and scaly. The hair becomes coarse, brittle and grows slowly or may fall out excessively. There is a sensitivity to cold with feelings of being chilly in rooms of normal temperature. It is difficult for a person to sweat and their perspiration may be decreased or even absent even during heavy exercise and hot weather. Constipation that is resistant to magnesium supplementation and other mild laxatives is also another common symptom. Difficulty in losing weight despite rigid adherence to a low grain diet seems to be a common finding especially in women. Depression and muscle weakness are other common symptoms.

Most patients continue to have classic hypothyroid symptoms because excessive reliance is placed on the TSH. This test is a highly accurate measure of TSH but not of the height of thyroid hormone levels.

The basic problem that traditional medicine has with diagnosing hypothyroidism is the so called "normal range" of TSH is far too high: Many patients with TSH's of greater than 1.5 (not 4.5) have classic symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism.

The alternative to monitor thyroid disease is to use the Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH levels and interpret them with new reference ranges. If one measures the Free T3 and Free T4 levels the only accurate measure of the actual active thyroid hormone levels in the blood, as well as the TSH, one will find out how often a low normal TSH does NOT exclude hypothyroidism. It is relatively common to find the Free T4 and Free T3 hormone levels below normal when TSH is in its normal range, even in the low end of its normal range. When patients with these lab values are treated, one typically finds tremendous improvement in the patient, and a reduction of the classic hypothyroid symptoms.

There are a significant number of individuals who have a TSH below 1.5 but their Free T3 (and possibly the Free T4 as well) will be below normal. These are cases of secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism, so, TSH alone is not an accurate test of all forms of hypothyroidism, only primary hypothyroidism.

This revised method of diagnosing and treating hypothyroidism seems superior to the temperature regulation method promoted by Broda Barnes and many natural medicine physicians.

Treatment of hypothyroidism
After proper diagnosis of hypothyroidism, the next issue is with what substance to treat.. The traditional approach is to use Synthroid/ Levoxyl/Levothroid (levothyroxine) which is only T4. Natural medicine doctors tend to use Armour thyroid which is a mixture of mono and di-iodothryonine and T3 and T4, the entire range of thyroid hormones.

If the Free T3 level is significantly lower than the Free T4 level, it is next to useless to treat with Synthroid/ Levoxyl/Levothroid (T4) only replacements. If the patient could not muster sufficient T3 from their gland (which produces some T3 directly), then they are certainly not going to convert enough T3 from T4 only. Traditional medicine assumes that preparations like Synthroid which are T4 only converts peripherally in the body to T3 in fairly standard amounts and at fairly standard rates. Unfortunately, clinical experience shows this is not true for the majority of patients. Consistent measuring of both free T3 and free T4 blood levels in hypothyroid patients who are on T4 only therapy will very rapidly dispel this myth. A certain percentage of hypothyroid patients do convert enough T4 to T3 at a sufficient rate for T4 treatment to be adequate as a source of T3; but a substantial proportion of patients require some combination of both exogenous T3 and T4.

Once on hormone replacement, the TSH remains useful until it goes BELOW 0.4. Then one has optimized thyroid function by the TSH yardstick; it then remains to optimize thyroid function by the yardstick of the accurate measures of the 2 thyroid hormones, the Free T4 and Free T3 levels.

So one should use a combination of T4 and T3 which compensates for the inability to convert T4 to T3. This is most frequently done with Armour thyroid. However, Cytomel, which is T3 only, can be used in combination with one of the T4 only preparations. It is important to recognize that T3 should always be prescribed twice daily due to its shorter half life. This is typically after breakfast AND supper for compliance reasons.

Taking the dose at these times overcomes traditional medicine's major objection and resistance to using natural thyroid preparations - its variability in its blood levels. Armour thyroid is desiccated thyroid and has both T3 and T4. Most doctors using Armour thyroid are not aware that Armour thyroid should be used twice daily and NOT once a day. The major reason is that the T3 component has such a short half life and needs to be taken twice daily to achieve consistent blood levels.

Once or twice daily dosing one can then optimize both the T4 and T3 levels, with whatever thyroid preparation is required. This is not possible in most hypothyroid patients with T4 only preparations. It is important to use a preparation with T3 because T3 does 90% of the work of the thyroid in the body. The only exception to pursue optimization of the T3 level without using Armour thyroid is in severe acute cardio-pulmonary conditions, when the metabolic slowing effect of a low FT3 level can actually be life-saving. However, the vast majority of hypothyroid patients do not have acute cardio-pulmonary conditions, such as congestive heart failure.

The most common starting dose for patients with hypothyroidism is Armour thyroid, 90 mg which is cut in half with a razor blade and half is taken after breakfast and the other half after dinner. Taking it after meals also helps to reduce volatility of the blood-level of T3. If the patient has any problem breaking or cutting the pill, they should purchase a pill-cutter at the pharmacy. The TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 are then repeated in one month and the dose is adjusted.

In order to optimize the hormone replacement, the Free T3 and Free T4 should be above the median but below the upper end of the laboratory normal reference range. The goal for healthy young adults would be to have numbers close to the upper part of the range, and for cardiace and/or elderly patients, the numbers should be in the middle of its range. The Free T3 and Free T4 levels should be checked every month and the hormone therapy readjusted until the FT3 and FT4 levels are in the therapeutic range described. A small number of large, overweight, thyroid-resistant women may need 6-8 grains of Armour Thyroid or the equivalent of thyroxine per day (counting 0.1mg of T4 as 1 grain of Armour Thyroid).

If the patient is currently taking Synthroid (thyroxine), their Free T4 level is usually at or above the high end of its normal range and the Free T3 level is below. In this situation, or if a patient is allergic to Armour thyroid or is resistant to taking Armour thyroid, one may then add 5-12.5 mcg Cytomel (pure-T3) after breakfast and supper daily, rather than Armour Thyroid or Thyrolar (synthetic T4/T3 combo). It is important to remember that if the FT4 is being raised by a still-high TSH, the FT4 level will drop some when the TSH drops when adequate T3 is added to the hormone replacement.

Patients need to be warned about the overdosage symptoms which are frequently only temporary during the adaptation stage. The symptoms may include: palpitations, nervousness, feeling hot and sweaty, rapid weight-loss, fine tremor, and clammy skin. There is one exception to the 1.5 level of TSH as the cutoff for treatment. Overweight patients who have classic symptoms of hypothyroidism and have made heroic unsuccessful attempts to lose weight may benefit from thyroid hormone replacement even if their TSH slightly below 1.5 and FT4 and FT3 are not below their normal ranges

Patients who are already on once daily Armour thyroid should split their doses immediately and take half after breakfast and half after dinner. Since the only change will be in the FT3 level, which has a short half-life, the serum FT4 and FT3 levels (and TSH, if indicated) can be measured 48-72 hrs after the splitting of the doses if the patient had been on the hormone for 4-6 weeks before the splitting of the doses. This is because the T4 fraction is the one that takes a number of weeks to build up to its steady-state serum level.

Here is the link where I got the info from:

http://www.mercola.com/article/hypot...nosis_comp.htm

I will let you know how the armour works for me too, and anyone who does take it just in with opinions.
#95 of 1016 Old 12-30-2006, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have experience with the suggestions on ithyroid.com? Either positive or negative.

The hypothesis put forth by John, the guy who created the site, is based on his personal experiences and his research into the relationship between nutrition and thyroid function. He thinks that mineral deficiencies, either lack of intake or inability to use the minerals that are there, eventually starves the thyroid of the raw materials it needs (my paraphrasing). And that short-term vitamin/mineral supplements (lots of supplements, he has a rather detailed list) can restore those deficiencies and improve thyroid function. There’s a lot of information, specific suggestions and tons of research cited, but it’s still basically a do-it-yourself process. As symptoms changes, vitamin and mineral supplements need to be adjusted and he doesn’t discuss long-term sustainability but it seems clear that that needs to be evaluated on an individual basis to figure out how to prevent the specific deficiencies that developed in the first place.

Anyone have any experience with this, or anything like it?
#96 of 1016 Old 12-31-2006, 12:02 AM

I just found out that I am hypo, and will be starting treatment in the next few weeks. I have been dealing with the symptoms for years, but always had the TSH test, which came back normal. This time, I got TSH plus free T3 and free T4. I also had my cortisol levels checked (indicates adrenal function). I have adrenal fatigue, so I will also be treating that. I am going to start taking hydrocortisone for the adrenal fatigue and taking armour for my thyroid.

I ordered my own labs because I couldn't get a doc to listen to me. I have learned a LOT from http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. From what I have read on this site, there are a LOT of people out there that have thyroid problems that aren't treated because of the TSH test.

I am really hopeful that the treatment will help me, I have been diagnosed as bipolar II but I now think that my symptoms are actually due to the thyroid, not actually bipolar.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#97 of 1016 Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Post #95 anyone (now that we're all back from the holidays, at least physically if not mentally)? Thoughts?
#98 of 1016 Old 01-05-2007, 03:56 PM

I thought I'd join. I'm hypothyroid. On levothyroxin 50mcg.

My research is pointing towards the elimination of specific foods: cabbage, peaches, raddishes, soybeans, peanuts, spinach and rutabegas which can interfere with thyroid hormone production. Sad as I am a big fan of all the above with the exception of soy.

Otherwise I am probably just going to start a low dose iodine supplement in addition to my prenatal, 150 mg B6, and occaisonal EPO/flax oil.

ETA: I've also seen bladderwrack recommended, no dosage though, but as it is expressly forbidden for nursing/pregnant mothers it's out.

Lizi

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#99 of 1016 Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM

I went hypothyroid after both of my pregnancies. Reg Dr wnated me to take Synthroid. I saw an alternative Dr (with an MD) and corrected my thyroid with supplements both times. TSH after first pregnancy was 9ish - got back to normal levels and then after second pregnancy my TSH was 14 on Oct 2nd of this year. I had it tested again on Nov 30 and it was 3.5. Just two months later. (T3 and T4 levels normal range too.) I had my blood draw again yesterday. I took fish oil (to reduce inflamation) and zinc, iodine and selenium. I also gave up breast feeding but don't think I really had to. I actually resumed breasfeeding my 9 month old daughter since I had only "weaned" her before Thanksgiving and had such a good test result on the 30th. I lost most of my lactation - I nurse her twice a day and think she gets some milk although I am still feeding her bottles of abm after nursing.

Did anyone read about this in the news in late 2006:

44 Million Women at Risk of Thyroid Deficiency From Rocket Fuel Chemical
Federal Study Confirms Perchlorate as
Widespread Public Health Threat

Although regulators have known for years that the rocket fuel chemical perchlorate contaminates hundreds of drinking water supplies across the country, new scientific evidence clearly shows that perchlorate is a much greater public health threat than previously realized. Tests of almost 3,000 human urine and breast milk samples — along with tests of more than 1,000 fruit, vegetable, cow's milk, beer, and wine samples — reveal that perchlorate exposure in the population is pervasive. And a startling new Centers for Disease Control study (CDC), released today, shows that perchlorate exposure is related to reduced thyroid hormone levels in women, particularly those with lower iodide intake. An Environmental Working Group (EWG) analysis shows that 44 million women are at particular risk to perchlorate-related health effects.
#100 of 1016 Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM

I have been on synthroid for 11 yrs. Probably shortly before getting pregnant I noticed that I started to have hypo-symptoms again but ended up getting pregnant. While pregnant I felt great. All my hypo-symptoms went away. My daughter was born in June and things have gone downhill since then. I actually had my strengh of medicine lowered based on blood results but physically feeling worse. Wasn't sure if it was pp hormones, lack of sleep, etc. Well its been 6 months and things havn't gotten better. I went to the DR and my levels were still in the normal range (although slightly higher then they were when I was pg).

I was prescribed Armour to give that a shot and see how it works.

If you were on synthroid (or evq) and switched to Armour, did you see immediate results? I have a follow up in a month and just wondered if I would physically feel a difference that quickly (if things were going to improve).

Thanks for any help.
#101 of 1016 Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Cmp03, I have always taken Armour so may not be the best person to answer your question. I do have a few thoughts that I'll go ahead and post. Armour has both T4 and T3 as opposed to Synthroid which only has T4. Some people need both, so it might be worth trying to see whether your symptoms improve.

What were your "normal range" numbers? The diagnostic criteria for hypothyroidism changed a few yrs ago but this is very seldom practiced. Here are a few links:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...ay/ai_73959313
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/28/thyroid_disease.htm

Is it possible you may have a progesterone deficiency? This can cause hypothyroid symptoms even when you have enough thyroid hormone in your body:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...ay/ai_73959313
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/28/thyroid_disease.htm

Just some ideas. Hope you find some answers soon!
#102 of 1016 Old 01-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Does anyone have experience with the suggestions on ithyroid.com? Either positive or negative.

The hypothesis put forth by John, the guy who created the site, is based on his personal experiences and his research into the relationship between nutrition and thyroid function. He thinks that mineral deficiencies, either lack of intake or inability to use the minerals that are there, eventually starves the thyroid of the raw materials it needs (my paraphrasing). And that short-term vitamin/mineral supplements (lots of supplements, he has a rather detailed list) can restore those deficiencies and improve thyroid function. There’s a lot of information, specific suggestions and tons of research cited, but it’s still basically a do-it-yourself process. As symptoms changes, vitamin and mineral supplements need to be adjusted and he doesn’t discuss long-term sustainability but it seems clear that that needs to be evaluated on an individual basis to figure out how to prevent the specific deficiencies that developed in the first place.

Anyone have any experience with this, or anything like it?
Well I have had hypothyroidism for 21 years now and changed my diet. Adding sea salt help alot. Some of you may want to look into adrenal fatigue. I am going to start a liver cleanse cause I believe that is extremely important I will post a link about liver congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
I thought I'd join. I'm hypothyroid. On levothyroxin 50mcg.

My research is pointing towards the elimination of specific foods: cabbage, peaches, raddishes, soybeans, peanuts, spinach and rutabegas which can interfere with thyroid hormone production. Sad as I am a big fan of all the above with the exception of soy.

Otherwise I am probably just going to start a low dose iodine supplement in addition to my prenatal, 150 mg B6, and occaisonal EPO/flax oil.

ETA: I've also seen bladderwrack recommended, no dosage though, but as it is expressly forbidden for nursing/pregnant mothers it's out.

Lizi
As for the veggies, I have read that if they are cooked then they should be ok. I would just cook them and don't as much of them. IMO, stay away from the soy and maybe flax oil. Do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp03 View Post
I have been on synthroid for 11 yrs. Probably shortly before getting pregnant I noticed that I started to have hypo-symptoms again but ended up getting pregnant. While pregnant I felt great. All my hypo-symptoms went away. My daughter was born in June and things have gone downhill since then. I actually had my strengh of medicine lowered based on blood results but physically feeling worse. Wasn't sure if it was pp hormones, lack of sleep, etc. Well its been 6 months and things havn't gotten better. I went to the DR and my levels were still in the normal range (although slightly higher then they were when I was pg).

I was prescribed Armour to give that a shot and see how it works.

If you were on synthroid (or evq) and switched to Armour, did you see immediate results? I have a follow up in a month and just wondered if I would physically feel a difference that quickly (if things were going to improve).

Thanks for any help.
I was on synthyroid 100 mcg for a while and ask to be put on Armour about a month ago. He started me on 90 mg. I cut them in half and took half in the morning and the other half around 5/6 at night after a meal. If I forget to take it in the morning I would just take the whole pill around noon, but the first week I only took half a pill each day cause the first day I took a whole pill and had such a rush in my body it scared me. But after that week I was fine and felt much better. I still want to do a liver cleanse, cause I feel that is where I could see a change.

Here is that link:
http://www.jonbarron.org/newsletter_...49105069751392

Here is more info on the liver:

Excess body hair is due to excess progesterone. This hapepns when the liver is unable to filter out and metabolize estrogen and progesterone at the rate it's supposed too, because the body has to have a very specific balance/ratio between estrogen and progesterone. If progesterone rises at all, estrogen will too, in order to maintain that ratio. And vice versa. So stop the Evening primrose oil. You're probably okay with Udo's choice however.

This is one example of how important the liver is for everything in our body.

Estrogen dominance is caused by a myriad of factors, so to manage it you must take a holistic, systemic approach.

First factor is the liver. The liver is responsible for breaking down estrogen and progesterone and taking it out of the bloodstream. This is low on the list of things for it to do, tho, so when it gets clogges, this gets neglected. Signs of this neglect can manifest in various ways, including increased PMS symptoms and even varicose veins, spider veins, hemrrhoids. So comprehensive liver cleansing is in order.

Estrogen dominance is also a "sugar disease," one of the side-effects of a diet that's too high in sugar for you to handle. It means you've exceeded your personal sugar threshold. So a non-sugar diet like the candida diet is highly recommended for about 1-3 months so you can recover fully and get your insulin and everything back into shape.

Liver congestion and sugar overdose means extra storage of fats, and those fats can contain the estrogen the liver isn't cleansing, as the body will use fats as the dumping ground for excess estrogen. That is evidenced by disproportionate weight gain around the hips and thighs.

Nutritional deficiencies/toxicity that contribute are:

Mangenese. Mangenese helps the liver break down estrogen. Without it, it can't do its job.
Iron.
Bioflavanoids - plant chemicals which help the body utilize vitamin C. A lack of bioflavanoids and Vitamin C means estrogen dominance.
Zinc/potassium imbalance
copper toxicity

Some people think it is advisable to avoid foods that are high in phytoestrogens, but no one can agree - some people say that these plant estrogens are friendlier than our own estrogen. Still, during a cleanse or while trying to regulate estrogen until your liver is clean, I recommend avoiding these foods:

Soy (avoid all forms of soy, even the fermented kind which at other times is okay.)
Millet
Barley
Flax seed.
Kidney beans.
Lima beans.
Rye.
Clover.
Raspberry tea
Evening primrose oil
licorice
garbanzo beans

Many forms of pesticides mimic estrogen in the body, and it is stored in fat tissues, nervous cell tissues, and even the brain, so it's hard to detox. The detox bath and liver/bowel/lymph cleansing helps with this. If you live in an apartment complex or work in a restaurant that sprays for roaches you really should detox bath regularly.

It is also important to increase circulation so the estrogen doesn't deposit somewhere, or get stuck to the veins and cause varicose veins - exercise, massage, the Cleansing Drink, will help with this, as will blood thinners like fish oil and blood purifiers like burdock root.

http://www.askshelley.com/forum/view...light=estrogen

I hope that helps.

#103 of 1016 Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 AM

I have Hashimoto's and I have been off my meds for about 6 or 8 months now. I'm tired just the same as I always was. But I have gained about 20 pounds, which in my case, is awesome. I was down in the mid 80's while on my meds and now I'm over 100 for the first time in 2 years. It is pretty cool to not look like the bride of Skelator anymore!!!!

Did anyone else have rapid weightloss with synthroid?

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#104 of 1016 Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Mommyshine, I have questions! I have questions! Picture me almost bouncing up and down on the couch with excitement.

Not to overwhelm you with questions, but... How did you find an alternative doc who would treat this nutritionally? What type of doctor? I don't have one and so I was planning a do-it-yourself approach in addition to the endocrinologist I just started seeing. Although your statement that there are professionals out there who do this made me realize that my chiro may know someone, he’s pretty alternative but I don’t know how plugged into the other alternative healthcare folks in town he is. I am due to see him anyway, so I’ll ask next week. Regarding the endocrinologist (who seems really nice and good-intentioned), normally, I would tell a doc everything I think is relevant to the situation at hand, but this approach is totally counter to everything in their training, so I really don't think they will a) take it seriously, and b) know anything helpful.

How long did it take for you to start feeling better? How did you decide you were “done” or are you still taking supplements? Was it just test results, just how you felt, a combination? And how long did you take supplements? Did you get any good advice on long-term dietary changes? I was sort of bummed when you said it recurred after your next pregnancy, I had sort of hoped that I could “fix” this (yeah, that’s the really optimistic part of me, the pessimistic part saw me on drugs for the rest of my life, after a long struggle to find a doc that knew anything about Armour because my mom is on a Synthroid-type generic and hasn’t felt good despite lots of trying to adjust her dosage) and that would be it, plus significant dietary changes that I already knew I needed.

Unless this is getting too personal (though if everything above hasn't already, then I doubt anything can!), how did your alternative doc decide on zinc, selenium and iodine? My reading, still pretty basic, says those are oftentimes key minerals involved in hypo so that made me feel upbeat, but I was wondering if your doc specifically tested for them, or it was based on your symptoms, or this is the standard first way to treat (but then maybe if the response wasn’t good, a few changes would be made)?

Sorry for all these questions, but this has been a big thing in my life lately. My TSH just got bad enough to get a referral to an endo (based on it changing, since my regular doctor’s office doesn’t seem to be aware of the new normal TSH range 0.3 – 3.0 so they won’t treat me) so I may get a prescription soon, but around the same timeperiod, I read specifics about the possibility of treating this nutritionally. And since I've known for a while now that my diet is pathetic, this seems to be a sign that I need to get on the ball and make some real changes.

Thanks! I’m glad this approach worked for you and I’m grateful that you’ve shared some of your experiences for the benefit of others. :
#105 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain View Post
I have Hashimoto's and I have been off my meds for about 6 or 8 months now. I'm tired just the same as I always was. But I have gained about 20 pounds, which in my case, is awesome. I was down in the mid 80's while on my meds and now I'm over 100 for the first time in 2 years. It is pretty cool to not look like the bride of Skelator anymore!!!!

Did anyone else have rapid weightloss with synthroid?
Celtain - When I first went on Synthroid I lost a lot of weight quickly. I was in 11th grade when I was first diagnosed. I had gained about 30-40 lbs in a few months (this is while I was playing Hs sports w/3 hours prectices everyday). I had to have a bunch of test ran and it was at the begining of my Senior year when I was put on meds. Withing 3 months I had lost that 40lbs. I think I even lost more then that (it was just so long ago).

I think my body almost went into a shock b/c of the sudden increase of hormone but it eventually stabled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyshoe View Post

What were your "normal range" numbers? The diagnostic criteria for hypothyroidism changed a few yrs ago but this is very seldom practiced.

Is it possible you may have a progesterone deficiency? This can cause hypothyroid symptoms even when you have enough thyroid hormone in your body:
!
Stacey - My levels were like 1.1 this past time they were checked. Throught my pregnancy they were at .9X but right after the baby was born they dropped to .4X (putting me into the hyper level, which also led to my DR prescribing me to a lower dosage of the synthroid). My levels are low enough that I do not necessarily think that I need a stonger dosage.

The main reason he switched me to the Armour was b/c of the T3 part.

I am going to give the Armour a shot. He also ordered some blood test to see how everything else is. If I don't feel better he is going to help me try to figure out some other things to try.
#106 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM

This thread has so much info that I'm drowning

I am having my thyroid checked on Thursday. I found the following list of symptoms:

*Fatigue
*Weakness
*Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
*Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
*Hair loss
*Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
*Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
*Constipation
*Depression
*Irritability
*Memory loss
*Abnormal menstrual cycles
*Brittle nails

I've also gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks and 60 pounds in a year.

So, I thought it would be best to get checked. Is it possible to have these issues and it not be hypo??

What should I ask my doctor? What should I request? Should I wait till I get the test reults back before I requet anything??

HELP!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#107 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
This thread has so much info that I'm drowning

I am having my thyroid checked on Thursday. I found the following list of symptoms:

*Fatigue
*Weakness
*Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
*Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
*Hair loss
*Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
*Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
*Constipation
*Depression
*Irritability
*Memory loss
*Abnormal menstrual cycles
*Brittle nails

I've also gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks and 60 pounds in a year.

So, I thought it would be best to get checked. Is it possible to have these issues and it not be hypo??

What should I ask my doctor? What should I request? Should I wait till I get the test reults back before I requet anything??

HELP!
I would make sure your doctor runs a free T3 and free T4 when he does labs for you. Most doctors only test the TSH, which is not a very reliable test.

Before you go to the doctor, visit Stop The Thyroid Madness. I would recommend at least reading everything under "Are you Hypothyroid?" and "mistakes patients make" and "Recommended Labwork" before you see your doc.

I have had MANY hypothyroid symptoms for over 10 years, and was always told that my thyroid was fine, because the doctors only checked my TSH. I recently ordered my own labwork, and found that I am hypothyroid and have adrenal fatigue.

There is a pretty active forum on their site which gives a lot of additional information. I have started treating my adrenals and will be following up with thyroid medication starting in about two weeks.

Hope the info on this site will help you

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#108 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 PM

I have been diagnosed with Hasimoto's thyroiditis and a very large multi-nodular goiter.

My blood tests have ALWAYS been normal. Has anyone else found that there blood tests are normal, but they have thyroid symptoms.

My most annoying symptom is weight gain. Take this past week for example. I joined the Y. Each day I did 27 minutes on the eliptical machine with my heart rate at the maximum. And then followed with 30 minutes of light-weight circut training. I GAINED 3 pounds! WTF!!!

Here are my other "weird" symptoms
*always hot
*tired
*mood swings
*always in the bathroom with liquid #2
*low temperature readings

I have yet to find an endo who takes my wight gain seriously. My first endo recomended that I see a nutritionist. She told me that I eat better than she does and she coundn't help me. Any advice on the wieght thing would be greatly appreciated!

My next most annoying symptom is the goiter. My neck is really think and I can't wear most necklaces.

In two weeks I am going for an untrasound assisted fine needle bioplsy. My third in just over three years. I have two large cysts the are both liquid and solid, so they want to keep an eye on them.
#109 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Can you be hypothyroid & lose weight rather than gain? I have trouble keeping my weight on after babies & this time I have been having some severe muscle pain. I had my thyroid tested (not properly) & it was fine - why did I bother typing that? Would I be hyperthyroid?

My symptoms are:

Weight loss
Muscle pain
Occasional joint pain
Visual disturbances (floaters)
Increased anxiety

I am not tired even though Ds nurses 5-6 times during the night but have a bit of a brain fog (mommy brain?) I don't recall having had this the last two times.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#110 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 10:03 PM

I've read it's possible to lose weight rather than gain. Take a look at some of the info on ithyroid.com--there's a lot of stuff about minerals and how deficiencies of various minerals cause different combinations of hypothyroid symptoms--so some people gain tons, others don't, some get goiters, others don't. If you go to the list of nutrients and click on one, scrolling to the bottom of the page (I think all the pages, certainly most) have abstracts of various studies that have been carried out looking at nutrition and thyroid problems.

ETA: Not that I know a ton about this. I'm at the beginning of my research and alternating between having fun learning new stuff and feeling desperate that I'm never gonna feel better.
#111 of 1016 Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTessa View Post
I would make sure your doctor runs a free T3 and free T4 when he does labs for you. Most doctors only test the TSH, which is not a very reliable test.

Before you go to the doctor, visit Stop The Thyroid Madness. I would recommend at least reading everything under "Are you Hypothyroid?" and "mistakes patients make" and "Recommended Labwork" before you see your doc.
Ok, I read the list. I have been experiencing one thing that I thought was related to my weight but maybe not. If I sit for 5 or 10 minutes, or at my desk at work, I can barely walk because of the intense pain in the soles of my feet. We are talking to the point of not wanting to walk.

The other thing is itching on the inside of the ear. Mine itch all. the. time. I didn't think anything about it. I've always got qtips shoved my my ears scratching!

My biggest fear is that I'm going to go in and everything is going to turn out normal and then I'll be back to just thinking I'm hopelessly doomed. :

#112 of 1016 Old 01-08-2007, 12:29 AM

"How did you find an alternative doc who would treat this nutritionally?" I think I Googled "Alternative Medicine Atlanta"

"What type of doctor?" She is an MD who had a life changing experience, studied and now practices Integrative medicine.

"How long did it take for you to start feeling better?" I don't remember how long it took with my son (2004) but with my daughter (2006) not long at all. How I knew something was wrong was that I just couldn't get off the couch - how I knew I was "getting better" I found myself standing at the kitchen sink after dinner loading the dish washer and realized i hadn't done this simple household chore in a loooong time. My DH had been taking care of practically everything.

"How did you decide you were “done” or are you still taking supplements?" Still taking them but cut my iodine in half every other day - have follow up apt tomorrow.

"How long did you take supplements?" I stopped when i ran out after my daughter was born and think that could be why I had a re-occurance. The first time I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism ( a physical after my first birth) my Dr said it is very common after pregnancy. My Dr was actually on vacation and her partner gave me the physical and then called to get a pharmacy number to call in Synthroid. Once I found out you take it for the rest of your life I did a little research. When my doctor got back from vacation she called me and urged me to start taking Synthroid. Two against one. I figured I was out of balance and needed to get back in balance and since my life wasn't in imminent danger I put off taking Synthroid and as luck would have it have never had to.

"Did you get any good advice on long-term dietary changes?" Just to avoid or reduce inflamatory foods (dairy, sugar, etc.) I am still learning about dietary changes. I now eat brazil nuts every day instead of taking Selenium supplements. And fish oil to reduce inflamation.

"I was sort of bummed when you said it recurred after your next pregnancy" Could have actually been my fault. I get my supplements from my Dr and her office isn't conveniently located. I ran out. Felt fine so just took my prenatal. I think since my TSH dropped so much in less than two months that had i not stopped taking them I may not have had a reoccurence. Or maybe it would have since my original doctor said it is common after pregnancy - occurs around 6 to 8 months post partum is what she said. (My daughter born in March - TSH 14 on October 2nd... Sounds about right.)

"I had sort of hoped that I could “fix” this" You may be able to and an optimist attitude will take you very far. Besides dietary changes my alternative Dr reccomends medical meditation which really puts your mind in controll of your body. I don't do it often even though I should but I believe that your mind and thoughts have a large effect on your health. In fact, the day I was told I had the "disorder" I visuallized as many things with engines starting up - I wanted to start up my sluggish thyroid... I'd touch my neck and think of ripping a lawn mower cord RRRRrrrrrmmmmm... I also thought of a butterfly on a leaf resting and suddenly waking and fluttering about. You get the idea.

"Unless this is getting too personal (though if everything above hasn't already, then I doubt anything can!), how did your alternative doc decide on zinc, selenium and iodine?" Her training - those are the nutrients the thyroid needs to function. You should look for a doctor who studied at Arizona State University in the Integrative medicine program. I found a Dr in Michigan for my mom to consult with because she takes heart medications and supplements. Google "alternative" and/or Integrative" medicine and your location. Also note she uses Armor (sp?) and we discussed my taking it in October when my numbers were so bad. I keep mentiong TSH but she looks at all the numbers (Free T3,T4, even estridol because estrogen opposes thyroid I think). At any rate, I considered it when I had a supper stressful, angry, sad, exhausted day, but my ins covered it only through mail order and so I never did take it. I am glad for the other posts about it containing both T4 and T3 and about cutting it in half - good information out here.

"Sorry for all these questions" Don't be silly. I am so excited that I have managed this with diet and supplements I want others to know that it could work for them too. There are conditions that require medication but there are some that do not. My Alternative Dr said that this is one of the easiest things to treat and she gets women off synthetic hormones all the time. I had a quick turn around this time and hope to keep getting my number down and find out tomorrow what another month has done for me.

"Thanks!" You are very welcome - Good Luck (to everyone)

Note: I may have mentioned this in a previous post - I gave up nursing my DS after 8 months to get myself back in "balance" in 2004. Did the same thing second time around with my daughter although I don't think I had to. Since my TSH came down so quickly and I had only gone a few weeks since last nursing her I started up again. I am still lactating and feel good that she gets some breast milk although not for every feeding. It is a process to learn about how to take care of ourselves and our children. I was my alt Dr's patient and not my children. She wasn't familiar with the consequences of nursing while taking xy and z so I stopped.... But as I said, I don't think I had to.
#113 of 1016 Old 01-08-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
Ok, I read the list. I have been experiencing one thing that I thought was related to my weight but maybe not. If I sit for 5 or 10 minutes, or at my desk at work, I can barely walk because of the intense pain in the soles of my feet. We are talking to the point of not wanting to walk.

The other thing is itching on the inside of the ear. Mine itch all. the. time. I didn't think anything about it. I've always got qtips shoved my my ears scratching!

My biggest fear is that I'm going to go in and everything is going to turn out normal and then I'll be back to just thinking I'm hopelessly doomed. :
My ears itch all the time too. I thought it was normal! With all the symptoms you have, I would be very surprised if your tests come back normal if you have the doc do all the recommended tests. I do want to warn you that it's pretty hard to find a doc that will treat by any labs but the TSH, so you might have to look around a bit. I have ended up treating myself, the docs I tried didn't want to treat with anything but TSH, and didn't believe in adrenal fatigue.

#114 of 1016 Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 AM

I had some prelim tests run years ago when I was newly pg with T and a naturopath told me that I had a "malfunctioning" thyroid but I pretty much forgot about it etc (ppd doe that to you) and it wasn't until I started talk to Benjamin about it in the last week that we remembered.

How long does it take to get the results back??

#115 of 1016 Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM

I've followed this thread for awhile. I'm taking 90mg Armour and 1 iodine capsule (don't have it in front of me right now so don't know the amount). I've been doing great for many months and then the last couple of weeks I've felt tired and it hit me this morning that it could be my thyroid. Do any of you take a higher dose of Armour? My dh was recently diagnosed with hypo too...I am on alert for my kids now...especially down the road when they hit puberty. It's been a year since I found out I was hypo. I also take adrenal support supplements. Great thread!
#116 of 1016 Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Megan, the basic bloodwork is pretty quick, a few days. If your doc looks for thyroid antibodies, that takes longer, about a week and a half, but still not bad.
#117 of 1016 Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 PM

I just had some blood work done and in a matter of hours the lab was calling my doc. It seems that my levels are totally out of control and my TSH is 18. I am very hypo and the 100mcg of synthroid doesn't seem to be cutting it. I was scheduled to have an unrelated surgery next Tuesday so that got cancelled until my levels are better I will see my doc tomorrow to see what she is going to do about my synthroid but right now I feel down right miserable. Does anyone else get extremely irritable when your levels are off?

afro.jpg
#118 of 1016 Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Does anyone else get extremely irritable when your levels are off?

I do!!!! But I am on armour and it is so much better than Synthetic meds. I'll never go back !

You ladies might want to check out a group I'm on...

[email protected]

Lots of helpful info!
#119 of 1016 Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I was just recently diagnosed in the early stages of medullary thyroid cancer. I will have to have a total thyroidectomy, and a neck dissection to remove some lymph nodes. I am still nursing my 16 month old, and would like to continue to do so after my surgery. Is there anyone here who has/had a total thyroidectomy and continued to nurse afterwards? I am hoping to work with my surgeon to find medications and anesthesia that are safe for breastfeeding. I do have a copy of Dr. Hale's book, Medications and Mother's Milk, and that has helped me out. I would be interested in hearing about anyone else's experiences with this. Thanks!
#120 of 1016 Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 PM

My visit went really well. She asked why I was there and why I thought it was my thyroid. I went over about 4 things and she stopped me and said she needed to more convincing. I told her I had a list and she asked to see it and added it to my file. They are running about 10 blood test. SHe is checking my blood sugar, for anemia, and testing just about every hormone.

I told her about the weight gain, facial hair, tiredness, and acne.

So, it went well.

She also agreed that with everything I have going on that something is definetely amiss and that she will find out what it is.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page