The Thyroid Thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#211 of 1016 Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there an easy way to get vitamin and mineral testing? How do you know, with out the hunt and peck method, which supplement YOU need and at which dose?

I am on armour and my numbers are good, but my cycles are all out of whack and I still feel "off". Am starting Vitex which is supposed to help all things hormonal, and am taking a fist full of vitamins and such every day. Am sort of working with Dr but I think he is out of ideas, and he was my last option.

suggested links for the DIY supplment train?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 1016 Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. I was just looking for information on this. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm calling my doc first thing in the morning. My story is pretty long. I had a m/c in December. DD was 15 months old. After that I started having panic attacks. I went to the doc, and when I described my symptoms she wanted me to get my thyroid checked. I didn't know anything about the thyroid, and I didn't have insurance, so I refused. She prescribed me Zoloft because I was desperate, but wasn't very happy about my refusal to have my thyroid checked. So I started taking the Zoloft and it worked well for a short while, then the anxiety and spaciness symptoms started coming back again. Soon after, I found out I was pregnant. At 6 weeks, all hell seemed to break loose health wise. I told my midwife about my symptoms, and she seemed to think that early pregnancy was just hitting me really hard. I even made a couple posts about it on the pregnancy board. I had pretty much accepted that this was just pregnancy and that it would get better after the first trimester. Then today I dragged my sorry but off the couch and went to Walmart with dh, and I realized that there is no way that the way I felt could ALL be attributed to pregnancy. I started thinking about having my thyroid checked, and decided to research. I have many symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I will be 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow. My symptoms are:
-extreme fatigue
-bad muscle weakness
-lightheadedness
-dizziness when I get up, and sometimes it's constant
-extreme head fogginess. I feel like I'm in a dream. Things don't look real.
-Visual problems. I can't seem to focus my eyes very well.
-I have been having pain/pressure behind my eyes, especially my left eye.
-Weight loss. I have been nauseous and eating a little less than normal, but not THAT much less. With the amount that I've been eating, there really isn't any reason why I should have lost the amount of weight I've lost in the past 3 weeks. I'm wasting away.
-anxiety and shakiness
-some heart palpitations
-extreme sensitivity to bright lights

That's all I can think of right now. Like I said, I'm calling my doc first thing in the morning. I feel like an idiot for not getting tested sooner. Hopefully she can get me in quickly. I'm a total basketcase, almost totally non-functional, and I feel like I'm dying.
#213 of 1016 Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Mama_b: It sounds like it may be your adrenals as well. Try to get them to give you a cortisol test. A saliva test is best but they can do a blood test as well.

#214 of 1016 Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
Mama_b: It sounds like it may be your adrenals as well. Try to get them to give you a cortisol test. A saliva test is best but they can do a blood test as well.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Do you know any good resources where I can read about it?
#215 of 1016 Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM

Off the top of my head:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

Symptoms:
# Chronic fatigue that progressively worsens
# Muscle weakness
# Loss of appetite
# Weight loss.
# Nausea
# Vomiting
# Diarrhea.

Obiously nausea occurs during pregnancy but excessive nausea could be due to the adrenals.

It's the weight loss and shakiness that stand out as a reason to get them looked at.

If you google adrenal insufficiency you can find out more.
#216 of 1016 Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM

hi again...i posted here a while back about some of my story (being hypo and not being able to get diagnosed). Anyway, I did finally get my doctor to try me on Armour. He started me out on a really low dose (1/2 grain) which seemed to help some of my joint pain but did nothing else. After 1 month he doubled my dose up to 1 grain/day and now I am started to feel a tad bit better and am finally losing some weight at 4.5 mos. post partum. At the same time, however, I am on a total elimination diet to try and figure out my dd's eczema outbreak on her face. Her doctor wants me to go off of the Armour and switch to synthroid thinking it's the Armour that's causing her eczema. Does that sound plausible? The dates do correspond....meaning she did get the eczema around the same time I started the Armour and I had already been off of dairy, egg, soy and wheat. Should I go on Synthroid or not even bother because of the T3 issues with it? Some of you have told me your stories with healing/controlling your thryoid yourself.....if it turns out the Armour is what's bugging my dd, I could probably attempt vitamin/mineral therapy myself too....but at the moment I'm off of all of my supplements.

Thanks for your knowledge!
#217 of 1016 Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Treelover,
Aren't there other natural thyroid hormones avail. besides Armour? (which is made from pork so maybe that's it). Are you giving probiotics (bifidobacterium)?
#218 of 1016 Old 05-05-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
Is there an easy way to get vitamin and mineral testing? How do you know, with out the hunt and peck method, which supplement YOU need and at which dose?

I am on armour and my numbers are good, but my cycles are all out of whack and I still feel "off". Am starting Vitex which is supposed to help all things hormonal, and am taking a fist full of vitamins and such every day. Am sort of working with Dr but I think he is out of ideas, and he was my last option.

suggested links for the DIY supplment train?

Some ideas:

Read Nutrition/Immunology 101 sticky in Vaccinations forum.

ONE test from Genova.

Red blood cell erythrocyte test for minerals per Gale Force.

I would consider kelp for the iodine, at least 200mcg of selenium, a natural vitamin C such as amla or acerola powder and anywhere from 2 tsp to 2 T. of high vitamin cod liver oil.

Magnesium deficiency is very common, another good one to start with.

I've found in my reading about traditional diets (www.westonaprice.org) that hormones are also influenced greatly by the types of fats you eat. The current craze of low saturated fat, high PUFA does not meet our biological need or history.

You could also be needing MORE thyroid hormone, blood tests are not necessarily the best indicator.
#219 of 1016 Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Zane,

I did pretty much this:

http://ithyroid.com/supplement_list.htm

Caveats: I did a lot of google searches for things like "study selenium toxicity" for a lot of minerals and vitamins because I wanted to learn where these numbers were in relation to toxic levels for all the ones that were significantly different than a normal multi (which is usually the RDA).

I made a couple minor changes based on what I'm taking now or what I think I need (more magnesium than he says, but that's me--I found my irregular heartbeat went away a couple years ago after I started taking magnesium), my bloodwork showed iron on the high end of normal so I didn't do much there, and I skipped the silver (I don't know enough to take it). I took most of the other stuff, which is a TON of pills.

My recent learning: I started feeling a lot better in about 2 weeks but I had been taking zinc and iodine beforehand. But I think I am having lingering zinc-copper problems, which may make sense--zinc is one of the minerals people in the US are most deficient in and my diet has been sadly typical to this point. This is spurring significant dietary learning and slowly changing the way we eat. Habits are hard to break and re-make but I'm working on it.

So, I didn't figure it all out on my own. I tried to do a sanity-check on what's listed and then I jumped in. And I am "monitoring" on my own by how I feel (which is why I had to do more learning on my new symptoms--strange menstrual cycles, still abnormally low sweating/little oil in hair)--I think this could be excess copper (zinc-copper balance each other, so I think the selenium and iodine deficiencies were first to clear up enough that I'm not feeling horrible, but the zinc deficiency is lingering).

Make any sense? I am writing fast, not sure when everyone will start waking up and my day will begin.
#220 of 1016 Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM

subbing

I was glad to find this thread after being away from MDC for a long time! I have been dealing with the following symptoms for about three years:

Weight gain (40 pounds), even when I cut out sugars and processed foods. I really wasn't eating much!

Fatigue

Joint pain

Lack of motivation

Mild depression

Mood swings, irritability

Intolerance to cold and heat

Swelling in my fingers, face, and legs

I researched every possible cause on the Internet and finally suspected hypothyroidism. I mentioned my symptoms to my doctor last fall, and he did a bunch of blood tests, including TSH, and later T3 and T4. He said they were all normal, although the TSH I think was 2 or 3 something, which by the new standards indicates hypo. So I went back to Internet research and I've been trying various supplements, including natural progesterone cream. I think I'm on the right track, since I actually stopped gaining weight over the winter, but I haven't lost any either.

Gotta run now, but looking forward to more info and discussion!

Deb
#221 of 1016 Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 PM

today i visited a DO for an alternative treatment to my hypothyroid and hashimoto's. he switched me from 100 mcg of synthroid to 1 grain of armour. he also ordered a complete candida test from genova labs and a full mineral and vitamin analysis from spectracell. he wants to check to see if anemia might be behind this, or candida.

anyone has had these tested?
#222 of 1016 Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Your doctor is right on about the candida test. I wish I had a doctor like that, where do you live and how much do the test cost, if you don't mind mentioning it. Will any of the tests include hormone, adrenal glands, DHEA, and some other ones this site http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ended-labwork/ recommends these labs. I would also look into fungus too, you may want to listen to all these vidoes of this person "Doug Kaufmann" host of Know the cause" watch all of them they are very interesting http://www.knowthecause.com/. I use to be on synthyroid and now on armour. I like it better.
#223 of 1016 Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM

I was put on levo(sp) 100mcg back in Oct after my total thyroidectomy. After about 6 weeks, my tsh was horribly high so my doc increased it to 150. I have had fibroid surgery recently and have noticed that my blood pressure has sky rocketed. I am wondering if all of the challenges/changes in my body are causing the synthroid to not be effective and I am becoming hyper. my pulse rate is up as well. I am getting the tsh level checked tomorrow so I will know for sure, but what do you think?

afro.jpg
#224 of 1016 Old 05-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post
Your doctor is right on about the candida test. I wish I had a doctor like that, where do you live and how much do the test cost, if you don't mind mentioning it. Will any of the tests include hormone, adrenal glands, DHEA, and some other ones this site http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ended-labwork/ recommends these labs. I would also look into fungus too, you may want to listen to all these vidoes of this person "Doug Kaufmann" host of Know the cause" watch all of them they are very interesting http://www.knowthecause.com/. I use to be on synthyroid and now on armour. I like it better.
i'm in palm beach county, fl. the cost was $75 since it was covered by insurance but he's going to do more test that i don't know if they'll be covered. one test is through spectracell labs and the other genova. he didn't order the hormone labs and the rest you mentioned. he drew blood for a comprehensive mineral and vitamin study, to check my antibody level for hashimoto's (I know i have them).

we also talked about doing a test to check for heavy metal poisoning but i'm not sure about that since i'm breastfeeding and planning to get pregnant after that.
#225 of 1016 Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
I was put on levo(sp) 100mcg back in Oct after my total thyroidectomy. After about 6 weeks, my tsh was horribly high so my doc increased it to 150. I have had fibroid surgery recently and have noticed that my blood pressure has sky rocketed. I am wondering if all of the challenges/changes in my body are causing the synthroid to not be effective and I am becoming hyper. my pulse rate is up as well. I am getting the tsh level checked tomorrow so I will know for sure, but what do you think?
i'm not sure what might be going on in your system but if you feel that you might be turning hyper, it's probably true. that happened to me postpartum. i was hypo, then hyper, then super hypo (my tsh was up to 97). talk to your dr about it and maybe try to find a second opinion if you are not comfortable with what he/she says. i had to do that also.

i have hashimoto's and according to what i have read, you can go from hypo to hyper symptoms easily. also, all the hormonal changes you go through with all that surgery must affect you one way or another so it wouldn't surprise me if your dose would need to be adjusted.
#226 of 1016 Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amore74 View Post
i'm not sure what might be going on in your system but if you feel that you might be turning hyper, it's probably true. that happened to me postpartum. i was hypo, then hyper, then super hypo (my tsh was up to 97). talk to your dr about it and maybe try to find a second opinion if you are not comfortable with what he/she says. i had to do that also.

i have hashimoto's and according to what i have read, you can go from hypo to hyper symptoms easily. also, all the hormonal changes you go through with all that surgery must affect you one way or another so it wouldn't surprise me if your dose would need to be adjusted.
Thank you sweetie. Just got back from the labs and had blood drawn for TSH AND free t4. I should know by tomorrow!

afro.jpg
#227 of 1016 Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM

I know this is a longshot but thought I might as well ask - does anyone have a doctor they're happy with, within driving distance of Portland Oregon? I need one who will do a combo of treating by tests and by symptoms, who will test free T3 and antibodies, and understands that Armour suppresses TSH. Also someone who has knowledge of bioidentical hormone replacement would be ideal...my progesterone cream is the thing I'm due to run out of soonest. Thanks!
#228 of 1016 Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmide_m View Post
I know this is a longshot but thought I might as well ask - does anyone have a doctor they're happy with, within driving distance of Portland Oregon? I need one who will do a combo of treating by tests and by symptoms, who will test free T3 and antibodies, and understands that Armour suppresses TSH. Also someone who has knowledge of bioidentical hormone replacement would be ideal...my progesterone cream is the thing I'm due to run out of soonest. Thanks!
Try posting on Finding your tribe on the PDX thread.. or at least start your own thread. I "think" one of those mom's takes thyroid medicine but I don't know exactly what she takes.

At the very least come introduce yourself.
#229 of 1016 Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Hehe thanks Tina, I've been over in that area a few times and even posted on the main chat thread a couple times, but it seems like most people just read the main chat thread and not so much the rest of the area....and that chat thread moves SO fast I have trouble keeping up! You're right though, posting there was the next thing I was planning on. Do you happen to have an opinion on whether I should start my own thread, or just post to the general chat thread? Thanks!
#230 of 1016 Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM

I say just hop onto the "big thread." Introduce yourself and ask if anyone has a recommendation.

I have to admit. I just refresh "the big thread" and only check out the rest of the board once a week or so.
#231 of 1016 Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Thanks so much for checking in here with me! I posted in the general forum but I'll go post on the main thread too. How on earth do you keep up? I'm still TTC so I haven't been to any playdates or events or anything yet, maybe it's easier once you know people in real life too? hehe.
#232 of 1016 Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Armour suppresses TSH and that is a good thing. TSH=thyroid stimulating hromone. High TSH means your gland is working overtime and means you do not have enough thyroid hormone available.

Officially you want a TSH under 3 and some feel better at less:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...a/labs2003.htm

For effective OTC brands of progesterone cream, see Dr. John Lee's site:
http://www.johnleemd.com/
#233 of 1016 Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Reading again my favorite book "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" on how vitamin A deficiency cases inability to produce thyroid hormone as well as interferes with iodine uptake. Animal studies reveal within 2 weeks of vitamin A deficiency, thyroid hormone production is reduced by 50%.

Thyroid problems also interfere with conversion of beta carotene into vitamin A, so don't expect to get your vit. A from carrots and other veggies. You need only animal sources of preformed retinol, high vitamin cod liver oil being the best (see info at www.westonaprice.org).

My sister has xerophthalmia and bulging eyes and I'm making a strong case for her b/c she is not taking her cod liver oil.

I'm going to suggest a loading dose of 200,000 IU of true retinol for a couple days.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/g12043675437054u/
(click on ‘Open Entire Document’ link at right)
#234 of 1016 Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Also Dr. Langer's book goes into B vitamin deficiency and how it effects the working of the thyroid gland.

Is everyone taking a B vitamin complex?

I would do either desiccated liver or Brewer's yeast for best food sources. More on those in Gale Force's Vitamin B Challenge thread in Traditional Foods.
#235 of 1016 Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks Tina for pointing me over to that forum! I did get one very good recommendation and I can't wait to see how that turns out...if it doesn't work out I'll probably post on the main chat thread and see if anyone knows of anyone else.

JaneS, yeah I know suppressed TSH is a good thing...I'm just afraid of doctors who don't! I've heard so many horror stories of people with doctors who will only test TSH or when they see a suppressed TSH will say the medication level is too high and force patients to cut back on their Armour.

The vitamin A and B link you mention is interesting. I'm taking a mega B complex. I have no idea where I am with A...I think there's some in my vitamins plus I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. So would brewer's yeast work for vegetarians? Are there any drawbacks to taking brewer's yeast?
#236 of 1016 Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM

I think my thyroid is off again. My doctor took me off the meds a few months ago. Past couple of weeks I've been going downhill with my moods and a depressed feeling. Then on Friday when I needed to start studying for an exam I clued in that I can't even concentrate. I went and got my blood drawn yesterday and I'm waiting to hear from my doctor. I have an exam today and I'm about to cry. I studied for hours and hours and hours all weekend and I can barely even remember anything. I've done so well on all of my other tests. Even my husband commented that I'm really struggling the past few days because usually I remember every single one of my flash cards and this set were hit and miss. I've been having nightmares again as well. If it's not my thyroid, I really fear that I'll have to get put on antidepressants. This blows.
#237 of 1016 Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Sorry you're going through such a rough time Babygrant, I hope things get better for you soon! I'm on a natural thyroid hormones yahoogroup...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Natura...dHormones/join
maybe they might have some suggestions for you. Have you had your hormones tested? I would investigate further before going on antidepressants.
#238 of 1016 Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM

I had no idea this thread was here!

I believe I was hyper thyroid for most of my life, and then excessive blood loss led to my pituitary shutting down, which means no control for your thyroid, hence hypothyroid.

the yahoo group is a great source of info, and the stopthethyroidmadness.com website is too.

for intuitive readings click here :
#239 of 1016 Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The vitamin A and B link you mention is interesting. I'm taking a mega B complex. I have no idea where I am with A...I think there's some in my vitamins plus I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. So would brewer's yeast work for vegetarians? Are there any drawbacks to taking brewer's yeast?
The type of A in vitamins is usually the toxic teratogenic kind. The amount in veggies will not be sufficient, especially for hypos who have impaired conversion.

See Gale Force's thread on brewer's yeast, I'm not as knowledgable.
#240 of 1016 Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Thank you sweetie. Just got back from the labs and had blood drawn for TSH AND free t4. I should know by tomorrow!

Yup, I am definitely hyper as my lab work confirmed today. I had been telling my docs that I felt that way but it took a bit before they would listen. That makes me so freaking mad: My blood pressure had been raging, heart pounding and difficulty sleeping. What more did they need to see? Sheesh!

afro.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page