Allergy to Penicillin? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 month old daugher had a double ear infection and was put on Amoxicillin. She was fine the whole ten days she took it, but the afternoon of the 11th day, she developed a fever and started breaking out in hives. It was the first day off the medicine. She has a had a fever and occasional hives since then. Is it possible she is allergic to the Amoxicillin, or is it more likely hives from a virus?

cx posted in Allergies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
My Dd had a penicillin reaction & it was immediate, she broke out in a rash, her face swelled up like crazy until her eyes were just slivers & she was very lethargic. I suppose all reactions could be different, but that was our experience. Her doc tested her for Epstein Barr, because apparently, if you have that & you take abx, a rash can develop.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#3 of 4 Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 PM

My DH is allergic to Sulfa (as am I) and penicillin. He can take amoxicillin, though. He breaks out in hives from the others. I break out in hives and my throat closes up from the sulfa.

#4 of 4 Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 PM

That's a tough one. Because last year there was a virus going around and several people I knew had hives before, during, or after it. So it could be viral.
It could also be the Amoxicillin. An allergic drug reaction can occur anytime, no matter how many courses or doses of the drug you've had.

I'd ask the doctor what he/she thinks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page