dh thinks dd should see doc - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I think we should wait and see. She's 3, and she's been a little "off" for a day or two, telling me she's tired, asking for milk (she drinks it pretty rarely), her eyes were glassy looking (no fever though), and she has a barky sounding cough. But she continued to play, eat, and act fairly normally.

Today she's dragging...laying on the couch, holding her milk cup and her bowl of oatmeal, but not really drinking or eating much.

I have a sore throat myself and I figure we have related "bugs." I'm guessing it's viral in nature.

How do I help her and how do I convince dh that waiting is ok? (this is complicated slightly since her health insurance policy ends today and we haven't gotten her on a new one yet )

Christa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just got through a barky cough thing that, after doing some reading, sounded like croup. A google search would find some descriptions of it (the part I remember best is how it comes on very quickly, and the barky cough is worse at night, worst for the first night and gets better in the succeeding days) and if that's what it is, then usually rest and good food will help. I gave the kids lots of extra vitamin C and that got the baby better really fast. My daughter hurt her mouth a day before and didn't want to chew the tablets, and she's gotten better slower.

The dosage I read about and use for vitamin C is 1.1grams per 10lbs body weight per day when sick. Sodium ascorbate seems to be easier on the body, it's a salty-tasting white powder if you aren't familiar with it. Or there are chewable tablets that are a mix of sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid; my daughter tolerates those well (I give her a mix depending on how much of the powder I can get into her fluids). I'm sure other folks would have more comprehensive advice--this is the one thing that I have/use specific dosing instructions for and it seems to really help.

Does your husband usually want the kids to go to the doc with what seem (to me) like relatively minor symptoms? Some people do, it's not an attack, just trying to understand the background.
#3 of 3 Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will try the vitamin C. She's up and around now, more her usual self and she's eaten two pieces of raisin toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Does your husband usually want the kids to go to the doc with what seem (to me) like relatively minor symptoms? Some people do, it's not an attack, just trying to understand the background.
Yes, he does. Freaks out when the baby gets a little strangled, freaks if they cough while eating, wanted me to take the baby to the doc immediately when he got bitten by a common house spider. I did, I figured for a bite on the finger they wouldn't: retract his foreskin, give him immunizations, or prescribe antibiotics (so I thought we were safe! ) I'm becoming more and more conservative when it comes to medical treatment...last time the baby had a fever I waited 3 days and I gave in and took him to the doc as he was getting better...they prescribed antibiotics which I debated giving him, did give him b/c of dh, even though I was fairly certain he didn't need them.

Christa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page