cough cough cough cough cough cough - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-30-2003, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds had a cold last week and has been coughing for days now. When I was young I did this too, but I was given nighttime cough medicine that knocked me out.

His ND gave us something to break up the mucus, he takes herbal immune support and herbal cough elixer (which is a support thing, doesn't coat the throat to stop coughing) and an oil rub for his chest. She determined it isn't bronchitis or pneumonia....

He coughs worse at night and it wakes him up and he gets really mad and screams and cries. It is truly awful. We need sleep!

Any other ideas on what I can do to get this coughing overwith???

Thanks! oh, he is 15 months...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-30-2003, 09:31 PM

Has your ND thought about pertussis? We just went through that so it is fresh in my mind when I hear about an ongoing cough that is worse at night.

Any gagging or vomiting after coughing?

Just a thought.
#3 of 8 Old 04-30-2003, 09:36 PM

The essential oil, Thyme is good for coughs.

#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 PM

Not sure where in Oregon you are, but pertussis and RSV are both rampant in the valley right now; both could cause a chronic cough. My entire family had a very lingering cough this winter- it was truly obnoxious and took weeks to wear off. Is the cough coming from his lungs or from us upper resp. tract (like throat/pharynx)? Is he gagging on mucus? If so, cool mist (take him outside) could help soothe and shrink those tissues.
If lungs, a cough suppressant might be your best choice. I try hard not to use OTC stuff for my kids but I gave them both some robitussin (cough only) syrup this winter because they weren't responding to anything else and after a while it was more important that they get rest for a few nights and not keep irritating their airways with the constant coughing than for them not to get the wierd ingrediants. Good luck- poor little guy.
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2003, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, she didn't mention it, I mean, he hardly coughed while there. No gagging or vomiting after coughing... He just seems, phlegmier, at night? kwim?

The chest rub I have is, well, let me get the bottle...
in a bse of golden jojoba, olive and sesame oil, then essential oils of eucalyptus, green myrtle, thyme, lavender, sandlewood, frankincense, cypress, rosemary and myrrh. Smells nummy!

I am in Estacada... his cough doesn't seem to follow the pertussis stuff I have found on the web. My friends daughter does have a lingering cough that is in week two, she and Owen sound the same. I don't know much about RSV. I'm supposed to call the dr if it isn't gone in a week.

I have the Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child book, I'll look up RSV. What does it stand for?

He has a deep cough, but his lungs are clear. Is that what you mean? How do I know if it is lungs or throat? He does sometimes gag on mucus, it just seems to be loose enough to rattle around in there, and then when you breath in again it triggers the cough. and sometimes his cough sounds like when I cough, and when I just have a tickly thing that just won't go away and you just have to keep trying, hoping the next cough will get it!!

I used to get bronchitis a lot as a kid, I remember just loving the orange flavored night time cough medicine...
#6 of 8 Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 AM

RSV is respiratory syncytial virus. It's a fairly obnoxious virus in adults but very serious in babies and young children. It's one they vaccinate for. If your son had it his lungs wouldn't be clear; it generates a lot of mucus, among other things. You can get a culture done to confirm if he has it.

What you describe (the tickle taht won't quit) sounds a lot like what we all had earlier this year. Way my dr described it is that you get a cough; and the cough irritates your throat and airways; and then your irritated throat/ariways make you cough some more. I don't know a lot about specifics to soothe a cough but slippery elm and marshmallow tea is what I use to soothe an irritated throat. But I resorted to the nasty over the counter stuff for myself and the kids (and dh to codeine because he's had pleurisy two years in a row and was desperate not to get it again!) and that's when it finally turned around for us. I hope you can get it reversed without having to go that route.

I just kinda listen to judge whether it's lungs or throat- if it sounds like it's coming from deep in his chest or higher up. (I was asking to see if he maybe had epiglottitis or laryngotracheobronchitis)

Keep him well hydrated; that will keep things moving in his chest.
#7 of 8 Old 05-01-2003, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks LaLaLuna! Those are some big fancy words you're throwing around...

I read up on all the coughing things last night, and he doesn't seem to fit, just seems the typical never ending cough you can get at the end of an illness (at least I do!). He actually did a lot better last night coughing wise, so maybe we are nearing the end.

I've decided to write various remedies and ideas mentioned on a post it and stick it in the cough section of my health book so I won't forget.

Thanks for all your help!
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Liz

I think it is natural to freak a little and worry that a cough is from the lungs but according to everything I've read and my own experience it rarely is. It's just the snot trickling down the throat from the sinus'. Gross and hard to believe sometimes (how can snot feel so prickly?!) but true. So you want to thin that snot as much as possible. Get fanatical about fluids and try saline nasal spray. It has worked wonders for me and DS but he has flat out refused it recently (he used to do it himself!). so I realise it's not for everybody. Also prop him up at night. This keeps it coming out the nose and not down the throat.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page